Start by marking “Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness” as Want to Read:
Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness

Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness

These days it’s hard to count on the world outside. So it’s vital to grow strengths inside like grit, gratitude, and compassion—the key to resilience, and to lasting well-being in a changing world.

True resilience is much more than enduring terrible conditions. We need resilience every day to raise a family, work at a job, cope with stress, deal with health problems, naviga
Published March 27th 2018 by Harmony (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Resilient, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resilient

Tara Brabazon
Dear. Oh Dear.

I'm starting to avoid books with 'happiness' in the title...

We have the 'fully hippy' journey here. Resilience. Mindfulness. Self love. Self forgiveness.

What is remarkable about such books is the complete disconnection from context. People are not unhappy because of a lack of self love. They are unhappy because of a diabolical workplace, complex family structures and an unstable economy. Resilience is not created through individual choices.

Resilience is created by transforming orga
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
I’ll admit to a fascination with the concept of resilience, so I grabbed up the Advance Reader’s Copy (ARC) of the latest book from Rick Hanson, Ph.D. The full title is long and descriptive: Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness. But don’t let this scare you away.

Hanson takes a complex concept, adds layers, and then deconstructs everything so it’s easy to grasp.
Resilient is broken down into four parts, each with three chapters. There’s something about the sy
Karen
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out March 27th- THIS is the book we need! The current discussion surrounding trauma and adverse childhood experiences focuses on teachers recognizing trauma and responding appropriately to create a safe space for children. Teachers discussing trauma sometimes morph the correlation between trauma and negative behavioral/health outcomes into statements of causation. For a number of reasons, I find this exasperating! In addition, the approaches discussed always seemed too reactive instead of proact ...more
Kelsey Leigh Witzling
I read this in bite-sized pieces over the course of several months and enjoyed it a lot. It was nice as a reminder for some clearly defined self-care practices and gave me language to use with my clients around resilience in everyday life. The author states clearly at the beginning of the book that it is about everyday resilience rather than trauma and major hardship, but I think more could have been done to address daily multicultural issues (i.e. microagressions). I would haves liked to see so ...more
Kathy
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "book blurb" says this book will help you "develop 12 inner strengths for being resilient no matter what life throws at you." That's a pretty tall order, but I must say I think Rick Hanson delivers.

Hanson presents scientific and practical information in an easy to understand, personable way. According to psychology, there are three basic needs for humans to have a fulfilled life: safety, satisfaction, and connection. Within each of these three arenas, we grow as we move from recognizing (com
Catie
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Imagine that your mind is a garden. You can tend to it in three ways: observe it, pull weeds, and plant flowers."

"There's a proverb that says: Getting angry at others is like throwing hot coals with bare hands - both people get burned."

"No one succeeds in a big way without sometimes failing in a big way. If you fail, you'll be in good company."

"We can tend to the causes but can't control the results. All we can do is make the offering."

"the best predictor of the future is usually the past."

"Wha
Teo 2050
<5h @ 1.7x. Contents:
(view spoiler)
Kiera Lucy
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book essentially discusses 12 different ‘tools’ which help activate an inner strength and enhance an inner resilience of character. There were many gems of wisdom in this book and I found that it consolidated a lot of my previous self-development work. This also came at a very timely period in my own personal life and I drew a lot of perspective (and thus, healing) from the exploration of developing resilience and personal mental strength with regards to external situations and ‘uncontrolla ...more
Allison
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A few gems, but I had the unshakable feeling I'd read this book before; however, seeing as it's new, I clearly haven't, so. I felt a lot of stuff was repeated. The visualization exercises were just the same thing over and over, too repetitive for me, especially if you read the book straight through like I did. But more importantly, the visualization exercises were just not believably helpful and not something I felt like would actually help. I still enjoyed the breakdown of tools to help build a ...more
Robert Bogue
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our human lives are filled with volatility, uncertainty, complexity, and ambiguity. We face a variety of threats that we can see and those we cannot. Living in this world can make you aware of your need to become resilient. Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness shows you how to move closer to being undisturbed when the challenges of life come your way – as they invariably will.

Click here to read the full review
Tara
Resourceful. Approachable. Practical- “Let be, let go, let in.”
Ashley Peterson
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Resilient: How to Grow an Unshakable Core of Calm, Strength, and Happiness is written by psychologist Rick Hanson along with his son Forrest.  It looks at how to build resilience given what we know about the neuroscience of learning.  Despite being grounded in science, it's refreshingly practical and simple.

The book begins by identifying three basic human needs (safety, satisfaction, and connection) and ways to meet those needs (recognizing, resourcing, regulating, and relating).  These are set
Seth Campbell
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful Tactical Life-Changing

The single best book I’ve ever read on literally rewiring your brain over time to becoming the full version of yourself. This is a step by step guide. I actually bought kindle, audible, and then went back to buy the print book also so I can use it like a textbook. Here’s a cool tip I discovered... he has exercises in the book to practice what you just learned. Typically a visual meditation style exercise. On the audible version, I slowed down the reading speed and
Julie Arthur
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really got a lot of great information from this book. The chapters that helped me most were Motivation and Aspiration. The author is very insightful and I enjoyed the exercises in each chapter to help guide you through each specific characteristic. Some areas were a little too technical for me since I'm not really interested in the inner workings of the brain or our nervous sytems, but overall it was an enjoyable and informative read. I did highlight quite a few things to keep in mine and to c ...more
Rini
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not an easy read with lots of weird unhelpful metaphors like "tiles flashing red in the mosaic of life". This book could have benefited from a stern editor. The exercises in the book are not always clearly separated from the text, and they lean heavily on the HEAL principle, which has a lot to do with thinking and feeling mindfully, and letting that thinking and feeling get ingrained into your psyche. Which is A: hard to do, and B: cannot be measured.
The final chapter deals with forgiveness, th
Suzanne Gibbs
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: personal-growth
Between this book by Rick Hanson and his son, Forrest Hanson, and Brene Brown's Braving the Wilderness, there is enough depth of thinking to challenge myself for a very long time.

While I can't recommend the audio book (it put me to sleep several times), the book's content is challenging and worth reading, thinking about, then reading again and putting into practice.

Resilient has affected me deeply and I'm very grateful for that!
Ken Hamner
Aug 30, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I’m usually a generous reviewer of books, but this book was like something from the David Van Driessen character from Beavis and Butthead or some other such over the top gentle, soothing bunch of nonsense. It might be helpful to someone in a straight jacket but not if you’re just stressed out or simply facing tremendous challenges.
Drobg62
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A voice you can trust in the world of self-help

Rick Hanson provides scientifically based concepts that are practical and potentially life changing. If you are interested in growing as a person and developing the different skills that lead to emotional resilience this book is a great place to start.
Lisa
May 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a very easy read, but it could have been a lot shorter. The first several chapters have quite a lot of fluff. I was tempted to shelve it halfway through because it was fairly repetitive. The most interesting chapters were at the end of the book, discussing forgiveness and equanimity. Overall I enjoyed reading it and I'm glad I finished the book, if only for the last 3 chapters.
Ulrika Björkstam
This is a pretty basic self-help book, in my opinion. It's ok but didn't really give anything I wouldn't have already known. Also, I'm not so sure about the title as this book covered a whole lot of other subjects than resilience. Having said that, I still think it's an ok book for anyone interested in personal development.
Amy Morgan
Don’t let my relatively low rating scare you away—a great read for counselors. Hanson’s “grid” of skills to help develop resilience is really solid and gives really helpful direction for how to do this well. Didn’t find the end (the interpersonal skills chapter) as engaging as the rest—more skills I’ve learned about elsewhere.
Putu Sita Witari
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A practical neuroscience book explores guidance to cultivate well-being using psychological resources which are explained in 12 chapters. Each with great real examples to highlight the 'gems' that makes this book become much more comprehensible.
Pat Wahler
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, although no new concepts. Many of the information presented is sensible and logical. However, I didn't get a handle on how one can fully incorporate the ideas. It's not as easy to do as it sounds.
Sharen
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done. An excellent guide to reframing our thoughts. The author courageously and candidly explains his own emotional issues and shows empathy for the reader's struggles to change thought patterns. Read a chapter - and learn slowly.
Randi Kennedy
A useful tool for cultivating resilience in our daily lives. As someone with anxiety and depression, the tools in this book are extremely useful in grounding myself and learning not to react negatively when I'm stressed or anxious.
Carol
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find some self-help books heavy going and tend to pick topics from the index, rather than reading right through the book. However, I read this from cover to cover within a few days as it really resonated with me.
I borrowed this book from the library but may well buy my own copy.
Joseph Young
Honestly, this was an easy read, but nothing much from it stuck. I don't know if it's the state I'm in, or the fact that nothing in this seemed too remarkable. The one part I remember relating to was about avoiding fighting.
Riikka
Simple, easy-to-read, feel-good self-help book.

It doesn't offer practical life-management skills that might be needed to adapt to hardships, but does a fine job reminding of many aspects of psychological self-care.
Fahad
May 27, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Boring and nothing new here.
the author just keep repeating sentences.
M.
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-reads
A good and helpful read.
  • Emotional Success: The Power of Gratitude, Compassion, and Pride
  • The Power of Purpose: Creating Meaning in Your Life and Work
  • Aware: The Science and Practice of Presence--A Complete Guide to the Groundbreaking Wheel of Awareness Meditation Practice
  • Gluten Freedom: The Nation's Leading Expert Offers the Essential Guide to a Healthy, Gluten-Free Lifestyle
  • Build Your Dreams: How To Make a Living Doing What You Love
  • Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression
  • How Healing Works: Get Well and Stay Well Using Your Hidden Power to Heal
  • The Happiness Curve: Why Life Gets Better After 50
  • Move Your DNA: Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement Expanded Edition
  • Gothicka: Vampire Heroes, Human Gods, and the New Supernatural
  • The Last Best Cure: My Quest to Awaken the Healing Parts of My Brain and Get Back My Body, My Joy, and My Life
  • True Balance: A Commonsense Guide for Renewing Your Spirit
  • Eating Less: Say Goodbye to Overeating
  • The Thoreau You Don't Know: What the Prophet of Environmentalism Really Meant
  • The Metabolic Approach to Cancer: Integrating Deep Nutrition, the Ketogenic Diet, and Nontoxic Bio-Individualized Therapies
  • Disconnect: The Truth about Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry   has Done to Hide It, and How to Protect Your Family
  • Part-Time Paleo: How to Go Paleo Without Going Crazy
  • Iron Cages: Race and Culture in 19th-Century America
Rick Hanson, Ph.D., is a psychologist, Senior Fellow of the Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley, and New York Times best-selling author. His books are available in 26 languages and include Resilient, Hardwiring Happiness, Buddha’s Brain, Just One Thing, and Mother Nurture. He edits the Wise Brain Bulletin and has numerous audio programs. A summa cum laude graduate of UCLA and founder of the ...more
“There is a saying in Tibet: “If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves.” What’s the most important minute in life? I think it’s the next one. There is nothing we can do about the past, and we have limited influence over the hours and days to come. But the next minute—minute after minute after minute—is always full of possibility.” 0 likes
“The Reactive mode tears us down, while the Responsive mode builds us up. Adversity is certainly an opportunity to develop resilience, stress-hardiness, and even post-traumatic growth. But for a person to grow through adversity, there must also be Responsive resources present such as determination and sense of purpose.” 0 likes