Start by marking “An Affair of Poisons” as Want to Read:
An Affair of Poisons

An Affair of Poisons

No one looks kindly on the killer of a king.

After unwittingly helping her mother poison King Louis XIV, seventeen-year-old alchemist Mirabelle Monvoisin is forced to see her mother’s Shadow Society in a horrifying new light: they’re not heroes of the people, as they’ve always claimed to be, but murderers. Herself included. Mira tries to ease her guilt by brewing helpful c
Published February 26th 2019 by Page Street Kids

To ask other readers questions about An Affair of Poisons, please sign up.
thecrooked_bookshelf
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoThe Gilded Wolves by Roshani ChokshiFinale by Stephanie GarberA Curse So Dark and Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer
YA Novels of 2019
864 books — 3,076 voters
We Hunt the Flame by Hafsah FaizalDescendant of the Crane by Joan HeWicked Saints by Emily A. DuncanThe Devouring Gray by Christine Lynn HermanThe Candle and the Flame by Nafiza Azad
YA Debuts 2019
157 books — 1,003 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of An Affair of Poisons
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

The "Affair of the Poisons" was an actual historical event in 17th century France, in which many members of the nobility purchased poisons and other illicit services from a woman named La Voisin, and other mystics and alchemists, to "take care of people" who served as an impediment to their ambitions. Hundreds of people were implicated and it understandably caused a lot of fear and paranoia. If you've heard of this and aren't sure why,
Amy Imogene Reads
A fun, fast-paced historical romp peppered with standard debut fare, An Affair of Poisons doesn't disappoint—but it could have been less romantic.

Historical vibe: ★★★★★
Plot: ★★★★
Characters: ★★★

First off, this was an amazing debut. YA authors have a hard ballot to fill—they seemingly need to include everything as well as set themselves up for a series. One of the main things that struck me about this book was that it didn't prolong, enhance, or set up for more - it just was.

The plot follows two
ash | novelly rooted
An atmospheric historical fantasy set during the reign of King Louis XIV with an alternate twist of events.

I had been anticipating this book ever since I first laid eyes upon the summary. I nearly died when I was approved for an ARC. An Affair of Poisons is based on L'affaire des poisons, the major murder scandal in France during the reign of King Louis XIV that resulted in 36 conspirators executed. Addie Thorley envisioned an intriguing alternate history to this event which involved La Voisin
Addie Thorley
May 27, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
UPDATE: 9/12/18-Check out the cover reveal and read an exclusive excerpt on Happy Ever After USA Today!! https://happyeverafter.usatoday.com/2...

UPDATE: 6/11/18- Poisons has an official release date--February 26, 2019 and it's available for PREORDER wherever books are sold! Woohoo!!! Hang on to your proof of purchase if you preorder; I'm designing some awesome swag and would love to send it your way. More details coming soon!

I'm SO EXCITED to share AN AFFAIR OF POISONS with you guys in February
Christy
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing

The cover of this book originally drew me in. SO DANG SHINY. But I also love that it’s a standalone, something we almost never see outside of contemporary. An Affair of Poisons has a clear set up, enough action to keep you roped in, and a solid ending that leaves you satisfied.

Oh, and dual POV narration (fab audiobook!).

Besides that, here are a few reasons why I loved this book:

Dragons. THERE ARE DRAGONS. That sounds so random for a story where the royalty is being murdered by poison I
mith
Jan 14, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-publication
Book: [mentions France in any form or shape or what have you]
Me: that's it. I gotta have it.
Megan
In all fairness, it's probably the fault of my own expectations that meant that I didn't enjoy this novel as much as I wanted to. I went in expecting something solidly historical with a dash of fantasy thrown in, but - though this novel does purport to base itself in 17th France - it's really more of a fantasy novel with a hint of historical fiction.

It plays pretty fast and loose with history, throwing it completely aside shortly after the beginning of the book, and, because I wasn't expecting
Nafiza
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Tense and fast-paced and exquisitely researched, AN AFFAIR OF POISONS will charm any reader wanting a slice of alternate French history filled with intriguing characters and an electric romance. Seriously, it's good. Put it on your TBRs. ...more
lucie
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, in-english
Another YA fantasy book I will forget in a few days. There wasn't anything extra what would make the book stand out. ...more
Rachel
Mar 05, 2019 added it
DNF 40%

An Affair of Poisons has one of those beginnings that makes you pump your fist and scream, "YES!" this is exactly the type of heroine I've been searching for! In the first chapter, Mira is in her lab, mixing up a poison to kill an abusive Duke for the infamous Shadow Society that her mother leads. She *seems* to fully embrace her role for this underground group of fortune tellers, magicians, and poisoners, delighting in her place but wanting more.

Then, her mother uses the poison to kill t
Jenni Walsh
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m familiar with the real-life “affair of poison” scandal so I was very eager to pick up Addie Thorley’s An Affair of Poisons. Her alt-history rendition did not disappoint. The novel is well-researched, beautifully written, and impeccably paced. I urge all fantasy fans and historical fans to pick it up. Read it. Love it. This book is very very good!
Beatrice in Bookland
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
"A force that lifts us higher and makes us braver and sheds light into even the darkest of corners: the recipe for happiness."

4.25

One of the best debut novels I've ever read. An affair of poisons is a hidden gem, do yourself a favour and go buy this little poisonous standalone.
Sierra Elmore
CONTENT WARNINGS: Death of loved ones, murder, blood/illness/gore throughout novel, poverty and homelessness

An Affair of Poisons is a masterfully crafted tale of what happens when an expert alchemist (Mirabelle) and royal bastard (Josse) who have to work together to stop the murder of both royalty and commoners after Mirabelle semi-accidentally murders King Louis XIV for her mother’s Shadow Society.

Mirabelle and Josse each have utterly unique voices, and they’re smart and capable but—wait for it
Katelyn Jayne
May 03, 2019 rated it liked it
This book starts off strong, interesting concept and rich detail. The alternating between the two main characters was great as it gave both their perspectives. I enjoyed the story building up until 75%, then one big thing happened, and it felt rushed. The ending tried to slow it down again, but then at that point it was kinda over already.

Interesting if you enjoy history filled description, and was a quick read.
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
After finishing Enchantée, I wasn’t sure how quickly I wanted to dive back into another historical fiction book involving France. An Affair of Poisons takes place a hundred or so years before the events of the French Revolution, where kings and nobles are still on top. The events of this book are based on real events, too. (I happened to briefly look up the actual Affair of Poison a few days before I started this book, which I found a bit ironic.)

A huge thanks to Page Street Publishing and NetGa
Bethany
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
An Affair of Poisons is kind of what I hoped to get from Enchantee (but didn't). If you like the idea of magic and alchemy in revolutionary Paris, then I would give this one a try. It is a dual-perspective narrative with action, romance, treachery, and (of course) poison.

Mirabelle is an alchemist with an abusive mother who runs the League of Shadows which, ostensibly, advocates for the common man. In reality, her mother cares more about power than the people. I listened to this on audio, but I'
These Violent Delights (Robin)
I enjoyed this. It was definitely a fast read.

I had an issue with how characters behaved towards the end of the book... but other than that, it was an interesting read.

I really liked the main character and how much she adored her craft. I felt her joy when she worked on curatives!
Vicky Again
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it

This is a book that got better as I read further and further into it. Although I liked the concept of An Affair of Poisons, I was definitely a little wary as I read, not entirely sure if I was into it and the story and the characters.

But as it progressed, I warmed up to the book and what was happening, especially at the end.

I guess what stood out the most to me was the romance, actually! I thought Josse and Mira were cute and their characters actually complemented each other really rea
bee  ❤︎
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
three point five stars ∗ i am genuinely so impressed by this book! i haven’t heard a lot about it so i wasn’t sure what to expect when picking it up, but i’m happy to say that i loved what i read! i wasn’t expecting to enjoy it so much but after the first few chapters i was really hooked and wanted to continue reading! i did have one or two things that i just didn’t vibe with, such as the overuse of similes and metaphors that are in this book. i’m pretty sure i counted 5 on one page and while i ...more
Maile
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This is more of a 3.5/3.75 than a solid 3, but not quite a four.

The things I liked were the characters. I honestly liked the secondary characters, like Francoise and Anne, Gravil, and Louis more than the primary characters, but thats not to say I didn't like Josse or Mirabelle. I just think that their attitude was too modern-day for this time period. I just don't think a rebellion is the answer to everything.
I obviously don't like Mira's mother or Margot, but it was also because they were too c
Mara Rutherford
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book! I happened to be in Paris while I was reading it, and the author did such a wonderful job of bringing the city to life. Romance, action, and beautiful writing. I loved it!
Maura
4.5 stars. This book is the definition of a cover buy for me, and I am not ashamed of that fact! I'm also pleased to report that this blend of alternative history and YA fantasy lives up to its gold foil and intriguing title. This book is set in an alternate timeline where magic exists, and a fortune-teller's plot to kill the French king Louis XIV is successful, thanks to the skills of her alchemist daughter, Mira. Thorley has a great author's note where she talks about the woman who inspired th ...more
Kim Bongiorno
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: magic, ya-i-recommend
A friend gave me this one, thinking I'd like it even though it's not my usual fare (kind of historical fiction-y in Paris). She was right! (As usual.)
An alchemist does the work her mother insists on, wanting to earn her love/respect, and Mom uses that to her advantage no matter the consequences. And holy moly, are there a LOT of consequences.
The daughter is sickened by what happens at her hands (through her mom), so takes an opportunity to run away, and ends up partnering with a guy who also ha
Giulia
"Sometimes succession is ugly. But we can rest easy in the knowledge that those who perished deserved their fate."

TW: abuse, torture, panic attacks

Let's be honest here.
There’s nothing wonderful to say about An Affair of Poisons. But there is also nothing hideous to pinpoint.
It was an average read, enjoyable and appreciated for what it was, but that won’t be remembered or acclaimed, tbh.

The plot was gripping and interesting. Fast-paced and full of intrigue, but also slightly predictable and s
Jackie
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed it a lot! Fun read the romance was not needed but I still liked it
Andy
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Mirabelle Monvoisin is an alchemist and her talents have been used to help her mother's Shadow Society. Her mother has always acted like she was working for the greater good, but when Mirabelle is unwittingly tangled in the murder of King XIV, she finds herself lost. Josse de Bourbon is the royal bastard and has chosen to hide in the kitchens. When the Sun King and half the royal court is killed, Josse must step up to protect his sisters and the petulant dauphin.

Josse and Mirabelle become entan
Books on Stereo
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
A quick, action-packed adventure romance.
Leah
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The moral of my story is don't start a great book when you're supposed to be packing for a trip. I've been rushing around for the past hour packing.
THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING!! Words can only go so far in my feeble hands, but all I will say is that I couldn't put it down.
(younger readers beware though, some stuff may not be suited for the immature)
As for the rest of you, do read it!
Tesha Ham
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has to be one of my favorite books of the year already! The story is stunningly written and filled to the brim with deception, love, tragedy, and the strength and will to be better than those that came before. I adored the story and the way it was written made it a phenomenal read! I especially love the fact that the author was inspired by an attempt to poison a king and rather than write about what truly happened, she took it and said what if the king HAD been poisoned and then added a lit ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Dark of the West (Glass Alliance, #1)
  • Ace of Shades (The Shadow Game, #1)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Queen of Volts (The Shadow Game, #3)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • All That Glitters (Enchantée, #1)
  • King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)
  • Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)
  • The Bone Charmer (The Bone Charmer, #1)
  • The Stars We Steal
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • The Waning Age
  • Echo North (Echo North, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Now Entering Addamsville
  • These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
Addie Thorley spent her childhood playing soccer, riding horses, and scribbling stories. After graduating from the University of Utah with a degree in journalism, she decided “hard news” didn’t contain enough magic and kissing, so she flung herself into the land of fiction and never looked back.

She now lives in Princeton, New Jersey with her husband, daughter, and wolf dog, and when she’s not wri