Start by marking “The Sound of Drowning” as Want to Read:
The Sound of Drowning

The Sound of Drowning

Meredith Hall has a secret. Every night she takes the ferry to meet Ben, her best friend and first love. Though their relationship must remain a secret, they’ve been given a second chance, and Mer's determined to make it work. She lost Ben once before and discovered the awful reality: she doesn't know how to be happy without him…

Until Wyatt washes ashore―a bras
Published April 9th 2019 by Page Street Kids

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of Drowning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of Drowning

Start your review of The Sound of Drowning
Susan's Reviews
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some authors get better with each new book, and The Sound of Drowning is no exception. Loved the twists. The ocean is a beautiful and menacing force in this novel: almost like another character lurking in the background. The element of the supernatural, of a sort of "unseen, all-knowing powerful spirit" is certainly part of the culture in Newfoundland (where this author is originally from), so the magical element did not surprise me.
I won't say more for fear of spoilers. It took a while to
Samantha (WLABB)
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

She betrayed her best friend and first love, and thought she had lost him forever. The guilt forced Meredith to isolate and abandon the things that brought her joy, until she met Wyatt. The exact opposite of Ben, Wyatt helped Meredith work through her pain, but will embracing her friendship with Wyatt result in betraying Ben?

• Pro: Fleet did a fantastic job laying this story out. She kept me reading, because I had to get to the truth, and she expertly met
Brenda Drake
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Waves of emotion crashed over me while reading The Sound of Drowning. There were both sweet and heartbreaking moments. I got lost in the Outer Banks setting and felt connected to the characters. Mer's struggles broke my heart and Wyatt stole it. The ending was surprising and had me flipping the pages fast to finish. It was such a great read!
Chelsea
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 ⭐ I was expecting a simple, cheesy contemporary YA romance when I picked this up. I was wrong about that. I enjoyed this read even though it’s moody and sad. The main character is unhappy and cynical and ultimately selfish. She kept alluding to a singular event that is responsible for why she is the way she is now but it doesn’t come until the end. I’ll be honest, once it was revealed, I was genuinely shocked. I usually find it a bit annoying when the main character keeps hinting at some big ...more
Beth Summer
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
oh my God. This book. I want to list every single thing I love about it BUT I can only list like the first 5...because, spoilers. Spoilers that would ruin your reading experience (trust me)

1. Meredith: such a well-developed, beautifully broken character. My heart cracked for her all along the way, and I was so invested in her choices that I found myself thinking about her when I wasn't reading.

2. Ben. <3 perfection.

3. Wyatt. Damn. My kind of guy. (and I loved the glim
Shelly Alexander
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A five star review doesn't do this book justice. It deserves twelve stars. THE SOUND OF DROWNING is the first YA novel I've read since The Fault In Our Stars that's so gripping, so emotionally charged, and so boldly deals with difficult yet real-world issues. The ending was so unexpected and so wonderfully constructed that it had me weeping with both joy and sorrow.

This book if wonderful movie material.

Well done, Katherine Fleet. I can't wait to see what else springs from
Lisa
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Romance and the Outer Banks, yes please! Meredith, Mer, pretends to be going to work nightly, but is sneaking to the beach to see her childhood friend turned boyfriend, Ben. As they rebuild their relationship, Mer’s devotion is pulled towards the new guy in town, Wyatt. Wyatt is the nod towards every girl’s bad boy. He’s handsome, cocky with a larger than life personality. All the girls want him, and he only has eyes for Mer.

This is hard book to review because of the way the story unfolds! One
Erica
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
I am not a huge YA reader and don't read this genre often. However, one of my closest book friend's told me it blew her away and I had to read it. I was in a huge book funk, so I ran to NetGalley to request a copy. THANK YOU Netgalley, Publisher and Author for the advanced copy and getting me out of my book funk!!

The Sound of Drowning is a book that will swallow you up completely. It will play with your heart, it will break your heart but it will open your eyes to so much more. This
Kat
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
* Thank you Manda Group for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review *

RATING: 4.5 stars

Meet Meredith Hall, a high school student who takes a ferry every night to visit her best friend, and first love, Ben. But after meeting Wyatt, a Texas newcomer with an accent and sweet heart, her heart begins to flutter for someone else. However, nothing is as it seems, and when secrets are revealed, Meredith's will have to fight for what she wants, and let the past go, if sh
Up All Night Book Addict
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019, reviews
This book... it's everything! On one hand, I was left speechless once I finished it. On the other hand, I had all of the words to say about this book. Fleet has topped herself in this one! I loved her debut book, and this one surpassed it by a long shot!

I saw somewhere in a starred review that said, "A heartbreaking love triangle, for readers who can’t stand love triangles." It is the perfect embodiment of this story. Holy heck it is not the love triangle you are imagining in your mi
Melinda Daniel
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won an ARC of this book & I'm so thrilled that I did!!!! What can I say about this emotional rollercoaster of a ride?? Well it made me laugh & cry & feellllllll. I'm not going to give much away but WOW this book was absolutely Beautiful!!! I wasn't expecting the twist & turns but WOW surprise!!! This book holds a special place in my heart now I love it so much💜 If u get a chance please go get a finished copy on release day 3\12\2019.
Susan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I echo the other reviewers when I say I don’t want to reveal too much, but I loved the Outer Banks setting and the pace of the story and the real issues that face many teens. I would have taken a few swipes at the patriarchy, but Fleet presents some really tough issues in a very objective way. I thought I had this all figured out way before the halfway mark, but didn’t. I look forward to reading more reviews to see how others describe this story without spoilers.
Lindsey (Lindseyybooks) Swindlehurst
I received this as an earc on netgalley for an honest review. I gave this book a 4.75/5 stars. I felt as though I could relate to the characters and how they were feeling about some things that occurred in this novel. Overall I just loved the characters and I didn’t want it to end. I highly recommend this one if you want a good ya novel to read.
Kristin Lenz
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I inhaled this atmospheric and surprising novel in a weekend. The well-drawn characters, the Outer Banks setting, the twists, and touch of magical realism all came together for an engaging, moving read. Well done, Katherine Fleet!
Kristen
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well I certainly didn’t see THAT coming.
Wendopolis
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable book! I was a little meh at first, thinking this was going to be another over the top YA romance, but it’s not.
Haley Koski
May 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Although my middle school self would have probably been completely obsessed with this tale of young love and heartbreak, my current self may have grown out of that obsession. I did not enjoy this book. The story line was beyond cheesy, which was honestly exacting what I was expecting from reading the title. The characters were annoying, predictable, and straight out of a Disney show. The only thing that compelled me to give this book two stars and kept me reading was the consistent anticipation, ...more
Whitney Gaston
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was seriously not what I expected it to be at all! I was totally blown away by where the author went and how the story took a drastic turn. There was one plot development that I kind of predicted, and saw coming, but it helped develop the character and their struggle so much more. Seriously this author did an amazing job, and its was such a fun quick read. I almost started crying at one point in the story because Mer's pain just hit me so hard in the heart.
Young Adults are not no
Les
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
WARNING - SPOILER ALERT

Thought that Mer was an obnoxious whiner, who vacillated back and forth between two guys with little involvement of her brain cells. "Oh I love Ben forever." "Oh I can't resist kissing Wyatt" "Get away from me you dirtbag, I told you I have a boyfriend." Repeat ad nauseum.

Then the big reveal of her terrible betrayal is that she got an abortion without his permission? Hate to say it, but that's HER choice, not his. And she was definitive about it but he's the o
Amelia
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Cassie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not really sure what to say about this book without giving too much away. I will say that I recommend going into this book blind.

Things I enjoyed:

*The emotions presented are powerful and realistic, and I could relate to Mer on so many different levels. The description of her feelings of trying to cope with her situation were authentic and relatable. I felt the darkness and struggle the Mer felt through the writing.

*I'm a sucker for a love triangle, and this one was believable a
Sandy
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

You guys my expectations for this book were so low. I've read some good books this year (2018 when writing this review), but overall I haven't read too many that knocked my socks off. More than anything most of the books I've read have just been okay. I've been in a bit of a slump since like August. Not a full slump, but enough of a slump to lower my expectations on just about every book I pick up. I've not read Katherine Fleet before. And I almost passed on this book due to
Jessica
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an early review, which I was disappointed not to get a chance to read until I came home for the summer, since things were really chaotic at school. However, in May, I finally got a chance to sit down and read this book while I was recovering from dental surgery, and I'm really glad that I did, because I got sucked into the story and really enjoyed every minute of it. So without further ado, let's get into my review!

As the summary explain
Cynema
THE POWER OF LOVE, FATE, AND THINGS WE CAN’T EXPLAIN

“I promise to always like you best”

Are there people put in our lives to save us from ourselves? From drowning under the weight of our emotions? Sometimes drowning can bring the greatest clarity. Emotionally evocative, thought-provoking and memorable … these are the words that come foremost to mind after finishing this deeply profound book. My own arrogance led me to believe that I was being led down an enjoyable, but predictable, path. But I was wrong. Instead, I wen/>
Cindy
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
"I feel like I'm drowning, like I keep getting hit by wave after wave. Every time, it gets harder to surface, to take the next breath."

This book was certainly a surprise. I went into this expecting a scenic read with a classic case of the love triangle, which I was all in for. Boy, was I wrong. This is an emotionally charged story of love, regret, and forgiveness. Both guys are likeable and seem genuine. But I found myself drawn more to Ben and Mer's story. It's the kind that makes you long for
Belle Ellrich
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I WAS PROVIDED A PHYSICAL ARC IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. THIS DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION*

...what the heck just happened?!

This book was so full of heartbreak and loss it was practically oozing from the pages—and I loved it, despite how much it broke me apart.

Our MC Meredith "Mer" Hall is secretly meeting her boyfriend on the beach every night. Through these meetings, we can easily pick up that Mer did something wrong that put a distance between them both,
Emma
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviews
Grade: C-
An ARC was provided by Page Street Kids in exchange for an honest review.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: I am always game for trying YA books from smaller houses, especially in the case of Page Street. This is the first year I've noticed a big showing from them, and I hope it's a successful showing. However, The Sound of Drowning is the first title of theirs I'm trying, and I found myself a bit disappointed by it.
For the most part, the book felt like what an adult think
R
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
At first, I wasn't sure that I would like this book. I've been reading a lot of contemporary YA to share with my high school English classes and so I picked this one up. The way it is set up, you get the initial idea that it's about an upset, depressed, young girl who is in a relationship with some guy that you don't know well, but she seems a bit too obsessed with him. She also meets Mr. New Guy and seems to like him. However, it's not what it seems. There are a lot of psychological twists and ...more
Becky R.
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
T. Rosado

4 Stars

Throughout the reading my curiosity was piqued, but I also found myself getting frustrated by the slow build of Ben and Mer's relationship through flashbacks, Mer's vacillating thoughts, and the occasional inauthentic sounding dialogue. There was a point around 70% that I thought I should maybe give up, because I would probably be let down by whatever was going to be revealed. I'm glad that I didn't, because what preceded the last 30% was beginning to make sense. Granted, with a coupl

• Cold Day in the Sun
  • This Is Not a Love Scene
  • Fear of Missing Out
  • Night Music
  • In Another Life
After a decade of living in the sunny Caribbean with her pilot husband and three amazing kids, Katherine Fleet has recently moved back to her hometown of St. John’s, Newfoundland, the most easterly city in North America. In addition to adjusting to life back in Canada, she loves to write, read, travel, and embarrass her kids on social media. She is an active member of RWA and loves NaNoWriMo. The ...more