Start by marking “The Sound of Drowning” as Want to Read:
The Sound of Drowning

The Sound of Drowning

Meredith Hall has a secret. Every night she takes the ferry to meet Ben, her best friend and first love. Though their relationship must remain a secret, they’ve been given a second chance, and Mer's determined to make it work. She lost Ben once before and discovered the awful reality: she doesn't know how to be happy without him…

Until Wyatt washes ashore―a brash new guy wi
Expected publication: April 9th 2019 by Page Street Kids

To ask other readers questions about The Sound of Drowning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound of Drowning

Brenda Drake
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Waves of emotion crashed over me while reading The Sound of Drowning. There were both sweet and heartbreaking moments. I got lost in the Outer Banks setting and felt connected to the characters. Mer's struggles broke my heart and Wyatt stole it. The ending was surprising and had me flipping the pages fast to finish. It was such a great read!
Samantha (WLABB)
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

She betrayed her best friend and first love, and thought she had lost him forever. The guilt forced Meredith to isolate and abandon the things that brought her joy, until she met Wyatt. The exact opposite of Ben, Wyatt helped Meredith work through her pain, but will embracing her friendship with Wyatt result in betraying Ben?

• Pro: Fleet did a fantastic job laying this story out. She kept me reading, because I had to get to the truth, and she expertly meted it out to me, piece b
Beth Summer
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
oh my God. This book. I want to list every single thing I love about it BUT I can only list like the first 5...because, spoilers. Spoilers that would ruin your reading experience (trust me)

1. Meredith: such a well-developed, beautifully broken character. My heart cracked for her all along the way, and I was so invested in her choices that I found myself thinking about her when I wasn't reading.

2. Ben. <3 perfection.

3. Wyatt. Damn. My kind of guy. (and I loved the glimpse into his motocross w
Shelly Alexander
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A five star review doesn't do this book justice. It deserves twelve stars. THE SOUND OF DROWNING is the first YA novel I've read since The Fault In Our Stars that's so gripping, so emotionally charged, and so boldly deals with difficult yet real-world issues. The ending was so unexpected and so wonderfully constructed that it had me weeping with both joy and sorrow.

This book if wonderful movie material.

Well done, Katherine Fleet. I can't wait to see what else springs from that magical imaginatio
Lisa
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Romance and the Outer Banks, yes please! Meredith, Mer, pretends to be going to work nightly, but is sneaking to the beach to see her childhood friend turned boyfriend, Ben. As they rebuild their relationship, Mer’s devotion is pulled towards the new guy in town, Wyatt. Wyatt is the nod towards every girl’s bad boy. He’s handsome, cocky with a larger than life personality. All the girls want him, and he only has eyes for Mer.

This is hard book to review because of the way the story unfolds! One
Erica S.
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
I am not a huge YA reader and don't read this genre often. However, one of my closest book friend's told me it blew her away and I had to read it. I was in a huge book funk, so I ran to NetGalley to request a copy. THANK YOU Netgalley, Publisher and Author for the advanced copy and getting me out of my book funk!!

The Sound of Drowning is a book that will swallow you up completely. It will play with your heart, it will break your heart but it will open your eyes to so much more. This book has a d
Susan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I echo the other reviewers when I say I don’t want to reveal too much, but I loved the Outer Banks setting and the pace of the story and the real issues that face many teens. I would have taken a few swipes at the patriarchy, but Fleet presents some really tough issues in a very objective way. I thought I had this all figured out way before the halfway mark, but didn’t. I look forward to reading more reviews to see how others describe this story without spoilers.
Melinda Daniel
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won an ARC of this book & I'm so thrilled that I did!!!! What can I say about this emotional rollercoaster of a ride?? Well it made me laugh & cry & feellllllll. I'm not going to give much away but WOW this book was absolutely Beautiful!!! I wasn't expecting the twist & turns but WOW surprise!!! This book holds a special place in my heart now I love it so much💜 If u get a chance please go get a finished copy on release day 3\12\2019.
Kristin Lenz
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I inhaled this atmospheric and surprising novel in a weekend. The well-drawn characters, the Outer Banks setting, the twists, and touch of magical realism all came together for an engaging, moving read. Well done, Katherine Fleet!
Sandy
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

You guys my expectations for this book were so low. I've read some good books this year (2018 when writing this review), but overall I haven't read too many that knocked my socks off. More than anything most of the books I've read have just been okay. I've been in a bit of a slump since like August. Not a full slump, but enough of a slump to lower my expectations on just about every book I pick up. I've not read Katherine Fleet before. And I almost passed on this book due to the descrip
Belle Ellrich
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I WAS PROVIDED A PHYSICAL ARC IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. THIS DOES NOT AFFECT MY OPINION*

...what the heck just happened?!

This book was so full of heartbreak and loss it was practically oozing from the pages—and I loved it, despite how much it broke me apart.

Our MC Meredith "Mer" Hall is secretly meeting her boyfriend on the beach every night. Through these meetings, we can easily pick up that Mer did something wrong that put a distance between them both, though it's not actually stated wha
Cassie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, march, mental-health
I'm not really sure what to say about this book without giving too much away. I will say that I recommend going into this book blind.

Things I enjoyed:

*The emotions presented are powerful and realistic, and I could relate to Mer on so many different levels. The description of her feelings of trying to cope with her situation were authentic and relatable. I felt the darkness and struggle the Mer felt through the writing.

*I'm a sucker for a love triangle, and this one was believable and I found m
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was received from NetGalley for an honest review.

I need to start with apologizing for waiting so long to review this book because I LOVED IT!

The Sound of Downing by Katherine Fleet was the kind of book that is so powerful that I struggle to find the words that would do it justice. The climax of this book was so heartwrenching that it definitely brings tears...not the cute kind either. Full on ugly crying. Yet, even though there are moments that will completely break your heart there
Erin
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, net-galley
I don't want to spoil anything before this book comes out..... so review to come later.

It is a great read though! Not what I expected from the description. :)
Keri Demers
Jan 06, 2019
Alexis
Mar 01, 2019
Whitney
Jan 23, 2019
Katherine
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Rosie
  • The Sound of Stars
  • Muse
  • Pet
  • Cold Day in the Sun
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • Technically, You Started It
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • Unleaving
  • How It Feels to Float
After a decade of living in the sunny Caribbean with her pilot husband and three amazing kids, Katherine Fleet has recently moved back to her hometown of St. John’s, Newfoundland, the most easterly city in North America. In addition to adjusting to life back in Canada, she loves to write, read, travel, and embarrass her kids on social media. She is an active member of RWA and loves NaNoWriMo. The ...more