Start by marking “The Lost Man” as Want to Read:
The Lost Man

The Lost Man

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  12,949 ratings  ·  2,070 reviews
9 hours

Two brothers meet in the remote Australian outback when the third brother is found dead, in this stunning new standalone audiobook from New York Times bestseller Jane Harper.

Two brothers meet at the remote fence line separating their cattle ranches in the lonely outback. In an isolated belt of Western Australia, they are each other's nearest neighbor, their homes fo
Audio CD, Unabridged
Published February 5th 2019 by Macmillan Audio (first published October 23rd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Man, please sign up.
Annabel standalone, although if you've read The Dry you will spot one or two sneaky crossover references

·  12,949 ratings  ·  2,070 reviews

Emily May
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At night, when the sky felt even bigger, he could almost imagine it was a million years ago and he was walking on the bottom of the sea. A million years ago when a million natural events still needed to occur, one after the other, to form this land as it lay in front of him now. A place where rivers flooded without rain and seashells fossilised a thousand miles from water and men who left their cars found themselves walking to their deaths.

4 stars.

I think at this point I can definitely say th
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Flatiron Books
"He used to say the ones who wandered off called the loudest. For the rest of their lives, their mums would hear them crying out in the wind. Do you think that's true? That this place has ghosts? That the mothers would hear their lost children in the wind."

Guys, I'm blown away. I've been a colossal fan of Jane Harper since her debut novel The Dry was published, and more specifically a massive fan of her series protagonist Aaron Falk. Her lush, atmospheric way of writing makes me feel the heat of
Dorie  - Traveling Sister :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

I had read Ms. Harper’s previous two books and loved them. They were mysteries, and part of the Aaron Falk series. This is a stand alone novel and quite different.

What I loved about this book was Ms. Harper’s descriptive writing. Here is a sampling of her exquisite descriptions of the Australian outback, telling about how it "floods" without raining : "It was a strange sight, even after forty-two years, to watch the water rise, silent and stealthy, under a cloudless blue sky.
Meredith
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Slow, but worthwhile!

The Lost Man is a character study about the Bright brothers: Nathan, Cameron, and Bub who live in the Australian outback. When Cameron, whom the family considered to be “the golden child,” is found dead by the legendary stockman’s grave, everyone’s at a loss in the small outback community in which they live. Cameron was loved by all and seemed to have the perfect life and family. His death doesn’t make sense. His older brother Nathan tries to figure out what led to his broth
شيماء ✨
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to شيماء ✨ by: Chelsea Humphrey
🌟 FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED HERE ON MY BLOG! 🌟

I can't remember the last time I read a murder mystery where I was as, if not more, emotionally invested in the main character as I was in the creepy, jolting tendrils of the thriller's action plot. I'm definitely keen to read more of Jane Harper's books.
Susanne  Strong
4.5 Stars* (rounded up)

A Character Driven Novel to be Cherished! Extremely Thought-Provoking.

Living is hard in Queensland. The dry, the heat, the financial hardship and the inability to make a living. Families attempt to live off the land, raising cattle, red dust swirling all around them. Most eventually leave and truthfully, few survive.

The Bright brothers grew up in a time of struggle. Nathan, a divorced dad to Xander, is the eldest son, who was shunned from town when he was young; Cameron,
Diane S ☔
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"He couldn't simply leave, for a lot of reasons. Financial. Practical. And not least because sometimes, quite a lot of the time, he felt connected to the outback in a way that he loved. There was something about the brutal heat, when the sun was high in the sky and he was watching the slow meandering movement of the herds. Looking out over the wide-open plains and seeing the changing colors. It was the only time he felt something close to happiness."

I rarely start my reviews with a quote, but I
Debra
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
****CRACK****

That is the sound of Jane Harper hitting it out of the ball park yet again!! I swear she keeps getting better and better! This is my favorite of her books to date.

The outback in Queensland. The sun is hot and unrelenting. It's a harsh climate which makes it hard to earn a living. Nathan, Cameron and Bub are three brothers trying to make a living in the Outback. Nathan is a divorced lonely man who lives by himself and rarely gets to see his teenage son, Xander. He has been shunned by
Paromjit
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Harper shifts direction with her third novel, less crime novel, more a character driven mystery and family drama. What has not changed is her ability to write an utterly gripping story set in the intensely searing heat of the Australian outback, and the depiction of small town life with its claustrophobia, marked with its unforgiving and judgmental attitudes. Two brothers, Nathan and Bub meet at the legendary stockman's headstone, in the middle of nowhere where the body of their brother, Ca ...more
Liz
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2018

The Lost Man is a stand alone mystery from Jane Harper. It’s a slow burn of a book. A man is found dead of dehydration out in the middle of his Australian cattle station. There’s no rhyme or reason for him to have been there, kilometers away from his well provisioned, working car. His other two brothers try to sort through the why of his demise.

Harper parcels out clues and backstories in small bites. We slowly get to see further into each of the brothers, not to mention the father that shaped t
Phrynne
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
Jane Harper is an author with real talent and a genuine knowledge of Australia and its landscape. In this, her third book, she takes us into outback Queensland with its unimaginably huge cattle stations and its devastating dryness and heat.

One major aspect of living in such a place is that the people must be independent as services we take for granted living in a city are not as available. In this story, after Nathan and Bub find their brother dead there are no forensic specialists, no pathologi
Kylie D
Another marvellous tale from Jane Harper. In this one we find ourselves at the lonely grave of a fallen stockman in the middle of outback Queensland, where another, much more recent, body is lying on the grave. The body turns out to be Cam Bright, a local landowner, but what was he doing in the middle of nowhere? And so far from his car? His older brother Nathan realises that things are not adding up, but Nathan has troubles of his own. As we delve into the families past secrets begin to slowly ...more
Tammy
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Desolate, dangerous, remote and vast; the Australian outback is a place I’d bet I will never see. Those who make it their home live a hard life coping with the savage heat of a vicious and unforgiving climate. One mistake means death and preparation is essential. The inhabitants know this so it makes no sense when two brothers find their middle brother dead in a godforsaken location and it appears he intentionally wandered off to his death. A death caused by the elements of the outback is grueso ...more
Kaceey
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
Once upon a time there were 3 brothers. They all lived on the expansive outback of Australia.
Now two of the brothers find themselves standing over the body of the third, wondering… what happened?

Nathan - the oldest, struggling after being shunned by his community. Divorced, in debt and painfully alone.
Cameron - the middle child. The favorite. He learned early on that a charming smile will win over anyone he comes in contact with.
Bub - the youngest. Fumbling about in the shadows of his two broth
Matt
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having thoroughly enjoyed Jane Harper’s first two novels, I was eager to try this, a standalone, to see how connected I felt. While the story was definitely different, it grew on me and helped cement the sentiment that Harper is one of those authors sure to be recommended by those who read her work. When the body of Cameron Bright is found in the middle of an open parcel of land in Western Australia, questions abound. Discovered on the property of one of his brothers, a vast expanse of over 700 ...more
Larry H
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
4.5 stars rounded up.

I've read all three of Jane Harper's now. In addition to her exceptional storytelling ability, she is tremendously effective with the imagery she evokes. Reading The Lost Man , as well as The Dry and Force of Nature , I could feel the unrelenting heat of the Australian outback and taste the dry dust, right along with the characters.

The Bright family lives in adjoining cattle ranches in the isolated Australian outback, but they're still more than a three-hour drive away f
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader by: Beth (bibliobeth)
The Lost Man is my first read from Jane Harper and what a read! ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

The Bright brothers live on enormous adjacent cattle properties in the Australian outback. The Lost Man opens with two of the brothers, Nathan and Bub, meeting at the stockman’s grave landmark where their brother, Cameron, has passed away. Was there foul play, or did Cameron intentionally allow himself to die from dehydration in the brutal outback desert?

There are several suspects (in my mind) right away even in this spar
Theresa Alan
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Harper’s novel The Dry, and this one was a little slower paced for me. The premise is that one brother’s body is found inexplicably dead on an old grave far from his car. Two brothers come together to help one police officer—who covers a vast area—to help solve the mystery. Having lived their whole lives in the outback of Queensland, Australia, why would Cameron not have used some form of communication or taken water or rations? He knew how to survive in the outback, so was he d ...more
Brenda
When Bub and Nathan came together at the edge of their two properties where the stockman’s grave was located, they were both shocked to see the body of their brother Cameron lying in the shadow of the tombstone. But why was he there? He knew the countryside like the back of his hand. He knew never to leave his vehicle, or to be without water – but there was no evidence of either. When the lone policeman plus the medical officer arrived, the verdict of dehydration was swift.

As Cameron’s wife and
Krystal
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT.

Jane Harper is a gifted writer. She has the ability to evoke that dusty, dry, Australian countryside and use its atmosphere to build tension underneath an intriguing murder mystery that keeps you glued to the story from page one.

This book I found to be particularly clever, as there's no detective figuring things out - there's just the Bright family, who are struggling to come to terms with the horrific death of brother/son/husband/father/uncle/nephew, Cameron.

It's told most
Zoeytron
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

A remote cattle station in Queensland, worked by three brothers.  The land is sere, and the heat is relentless, dangerous.  The wind is full of red dust and grit that lodges into everything.  The story begins with the discovery of the body of one of the brothers.  The questions are just beginning.  With no sign of foul play, is it a suicide or just a terrible error in judgment?

Oh, it's good to be back in the Outback with Jane Harper.
Karl
The novel “The Lost Man” by Jane Harper is being marketed as ‘Fiction’, subcategory, ‘Suspense’, according to the book. Ms. Haroer’s first two books were categorized as ‘Mystery/Thriller’, this should indicate a change of genre for the author. I could find little suspense in the almost four hundred pages of the book. For me, the book is more akin to the ‘family drama’, ‘soap opera’ categories.

The tale is set perhaps in the 1990’s/2000’s in the Australian outback on the western side of the countr
Karen
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Fantastic new book by Jane Harper set in the vastness of the Australian Outback, so atmospheric... showing the dangers and loneliness that come with a life lived there.
This story is about three brothers who together own quite a spread of land, and one brother is found dead near an old stockman’s grave on their property.
This novel is as much family drama as mystery/thriller and I really enjoyed the characters of the extended family.

I received this book from a Goodreads giveaway, so, much tha
Linda
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emptiness is seeking attention in weak people and in desolate places.

Jane Harper creates a slow-burning story set at a family run cattle station in the parched openness of Queensland. We come to know the Bright family with a complicated matriarch named Liz and her three adult sons: Bub, Nathan, and Cameron. Life here is intense with oppressive heat, dry winds, and the threat of untamed rivers with life-threatening floods stemming from nowhere.

"A sheet blew in front of Nathan, hiding her from sig
Jen
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The dry desolate land of the outback. A man found dead by a lone gravestone far away from his car which is fully stocked with water and food in case of emergency. He had no water on him and was searching for shade in a barren land. The little shade of the gravestone not giving him the relief his body so needed.
Harper does a terrific job exposing the landscape for what it is; as well as the descriptiveness of the hardiness of the people who survive there and the relationships they have.
Great twis
Carolyn
Jane Harper has delivered a stunner of a third novel! A slow burn of a family mystery, rather than a thriller like her previous novels, but nevertheless full of tension and unspoken threat as a family struggles to understand the death of it's favourite son and brother.

When Cameron Bright is found dead of dehydration near local landmark, the stockman's grave, his car nine kilometres away stocked with food and water, his brothers Nathan and Bub can't understand what happened. Living on a cattle s
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
2.5 stars rounded up

I am in the minority on this one. I think I am the only one that gave this 3 stars. I loved The Dry. That one was my favorite and I even loved the second book. This one was just so slow and boring. I wish I could of loved this one like everyone else. I loved the writing and that's the reason why I finished it. I was expecting a good ending and it wasn't the best for me. I got this on Overdrive so I am not going to write a full review.
Cheri
“ Oh I've come back to plead and dance
To forgive us both all in advance”

-- Every Sorrow, Joe Henry, Songwriters: Joe Henry & John Smith

“The circle in the dust fell just short of one full revolution. Just short of twenty-four hours. And then, at last, the stockman finally had company, as the earth turned and the shadow moved on alone, and the man lay still in the center of a dusty grave under a monstrous sky.”

It was there that the two brothers met, still in shock with so many questions
Pauline
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
After reading and enjoying The Dry and Force of Nature, I was delighted to receive a copy of Jane Harper's new book The Lost Man. This is a stand alone story and was every bit as good as her previous books. I was hooked from the first page and felt that I was stuck in the Australia Outback in the blistering heat. The tension just built chapter by chapter and I did not guess the ending.
Nathan's brother Cameron is found dead on his ranch in the outback. Nobody knows how he got there as his jeep wa
Holly

This was like a quasi-character-study-mystery and I was all for it! I've read this author's two previous books and enjoyed them (The Dry and Force of Nature), but this was my favorite. Why? Well, for one, this was a mystery that didn't really involve the police much at all, which is something I haven't seen before in this genre and I thought it was extremely well done. I like a police procedural as much as the next person, but it was refreshing to have the mystery solved for once withou
  • And Fire Came Down (Caleb Zelic #2)
  • Scrublands
  • Burning Lies (Border Watch #3)
  • The Restorer
  • The Turn of the Key
  • Hope Farm
  • After Darkness
  • The Arsonist: A Mind on Fire
  • The Scholar (Cormac Reilly, #2)
  • Daintree (The Porter Sisters #2)
  • Signal Loss (Inspector Challis, #7)
  • Bloodtree River
  • Wimmera
  • After the Lights Go Out
  • After the Darkness
  • An Iron Rose
  • Redemption Point (Crimson Lake #2)
  • The Secret Vineyard
Jane Harper is the international bestselling author of The Dry, Force of Nature and The Lost Man.
Jane is a New York Times and Sunday Times bestseller, and has won numerous top awards including the Australian Book Industry Awards Book of the Year, the Australian Indie Awards Book of the Year, the CWA Gold Dagger Award for Best Crime Novel, and the British Book Awards Crime and Thriller Book of the
“Life out here is hard. We all try to get through the best way we can. But trust me, there's not a single person here who isn't lying to themselves about something.” 0 likes
“Someone can decide it’s in their best interests to agree to something, but a choice is only really a choice if there’s a genuine alternative. Otherwise it’s manipulation and it’s taking advantage.” 0 likes