Start by marking “The Last Hedgehog” as Want to Read:
The Last Hedgehog

The Last Hedgehog

To mark and celebrate National Hedgehog Awareness Week, Pam Ayres has written a less-than-fond farewell from ‘the last hedgehog left on earth’ – a delightful, hilarious and thought-provoking elegy to that most beloved inhabitant of the British countryside, the common hedgehog. Pam Ayres’ spiky and wonderful creation reminds us that unless we take steps to prevent it, they ...more
Published August 1st 2018 by Pan Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about The Last Hedgehog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Hedgehog

Start your review of The Last Hedgehog
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: animal lovers
“Farewell, farewell, for what it’s worth
From the final hedgehog left on earth."

description

I love Hedgehogs. And like most of the natural world, they are totally inept at surviving in the modern environment. They fall down drains or drown in garden ponds, they get run over by cars or stuck in garden fences. They starve to death or die of thirst because of the extreme heat caused by global warming.

They are not made for the modern space: they are not made for the world we have altered. So it’s up to us to
Kerri
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely wonderful book.

I adore hedgehogs, always have, so when I saw a review here on Goodreads for this book, I knew I had to get it. It's a poem by Pam Ayres, beautifully illustrated by Alice Tait. The poem is both funny and very sad, talking about the plight of hedgehogs and the simple things people could do to help - an example being don't just stab a pitchfork into your compost heap at random; check for hedgehogs (or other animals) first. People merely being more thoughtful and paying
Colin
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Small. I wouldn't normally go five stars on a book this titchy and costing 6.99 but it's for a good cause. Also, it's Pam Ayres. Who doesn't like a bit of Pam Ayres? So break out the cash, throw it at your local bookseller and take this little book home with you for two minutes of readerly joy!
Laura Kane
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An important message about saving hedgehogs written in Pam Ayres' entertaining style with lovely illustrations. Lovely book.
Sam Wilkinson
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short, sweet, and making a point. "Farewell, farewell, for what it's worth from the final hedgehog left on earth."
Daniel
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminded me of the episode of Psychobitches were Julia Davies portrays Sylvia Plath attempting to be more like Pam Ayres.
John
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely little book from one of the nation's favourite poets and humourists.

Another reviewer called it "elegiac" and that sums it up beautifully. It will be an epitaph for a delightful little animal unless we take more care and give more practical help.

I have to declare an interest here - we feed up to 5 hedgehogs in our garden on a regular basis. They are SO much the gardener's friend.

Here, not only do we have Pam's poignant text, we also have some charming illustrations by Alice Tait.

Highly
Laura Lamb
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is great but also heartbreaking and I wasn't prepared for it!
Mikayla
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little book
Vehka
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cute, sad and educational - with rhymes! What else can you ask?
Heather
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-once
Brenda
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book. Humorous but serious at the same time. Don't want to loose our hedgehogs.
Lindsay
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally blogged at: https://bookboodle.co.uk/2018/06/05/b...

I heard Pam Ayres on Graham Norton's radio show a couple of weeks ago talking about this book and I just wanted to buy it immediately. I've not read any kind of poetry since I was forced to at school so was really looking forward to something different.

"Farewell, farewell, for what it's worth

From the final hedgehog left on earth"

This is a super cute small book of poetry with stunning illustrations but with a serious tone at its
Angel McGregor
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not to be mistaken for a children's book, Ayres' story of how we're slowly but surely killing off the hedgehogs of our world is told in a way that is humorous to read, but touches a nerve! I know that I will be thinking twice before mowing the lawn next time... A must read - if only to give us a kick start in ensuring that we don't actually lose our prickly little friends from this world!
Hbgb
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mean, me and my friends actually like this book, but maybe Pam Ayers should change the look. We were 11 years old at the library, and we saw this book. As a joke, we decided to read it because it looked like a children's book. However, as we began to read it, we started to realized that it was NOT a children's book. There are multiple pages where the author talks about murders of hedgehogs. (Cousin Henry young and bright, went up on flames on bonfire night.) Then, there is something else.. ...more
Rhonda Hague
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is cleverly done however it’s not very transparent that this book is unsuitable for children! This was bought as a present for my children (I assume based on the illustration) by a Grandparent and they had been reading it without me knowing the content. It only came to light when I was reading to my 4 year old that the content was unsuitable. She is now very upset that she can’t take this book to school because she loves the pictures so much. Why couldn’t this have had a sticker over ...more
Tanya
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
A beautiful piece!
Shahrun
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very clever way to get an serious point across. Pam Ayers witty words combine with Alice Tait’s beautiful illustrations to create a powerful message. It didn’t make me laugh though, just very sad.
Emma Shepherd
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sad but true. ...more
Stephanie
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This isn a beautiful, poignant, funny and heart-breaking little book.
Kt
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very important awareness book, I love hedgehogs and after the story there's some tips on how to make your garden more hedgehog friendly!
Taylor
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking! ...more
Aisling
Cute little book. It reads in about 5 minutes. Nice illustrations and great way to create awareness for the plight of the hedgehogs.
Vera Pleijsier
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good that there is a book like this one!
Beautiful drawings and rhyming text with a very clear message. Must-read!
Hâf
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely short yet thought provoking tale. It definitely gives you food for thought regarding the protection of hedgehogs. It was short and to the point, a perfect book for the cause.
Michael Mills
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I like hedgehogs and it's very sad they're dying out, but Ayres' I-wish-I'd-looked-after-me-teeth, Brechtian finger-flinging stirs no feeling in me other than anger at the amount I'm asked to pay for it. Extra star because the illustrations are nice.
Becca

• The Field Guide to Dumb Birds of North America
  • The Illustrated Herbiary: Guidance and Rituals from 36 Bewitching Botanicals
  • The Land of Decoration
  • Poems to Fall in Love With
  • Victory Disc (The Vinyl Detective #3)
  • The Shortest Day
PAM AYRES is a published author of children's books. Some of the published credits of PAM AYRES include Guess Who, Guess What, Piggo and the Fork Lift Truck.