Start by marking “A Cowboy's Sweetheart (Rodeo Academy #1)” as Want to Read:
A Cowboy's Sweetheart (Rodeo Academy #1)

A Cowboy's Sweetheart

(Rodeo Academy #1)

Pampered New York Socialite and dressage rider, Kensington Pope, has been exiled by her jet-setting parents to her aunt’s Rodeo Academy in Wyoming. She wants nothing to do with the rough and tumble students there, especially one particularly handsome cowboy, Javier. But she won’t be there for long. She has a plan in place to break out after her next international competiti ...more
Published June 25th 2018 by Crista McHugh

To ask other readers questions about A Cowboy's Sweetheart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cowboy's Sweetheart

"Avonna
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

A COWBOY’S SWEETHEART (Rodeo Academy Book 1) by Crista McHugh is a YA contemporary romance. To be honest, I requested this book by mistake because I am not interested in YA books, but this author pulled me in with her writing, setting and characters. I had to finish the whole story and I enjoyed it.

Kensington “Kensi” Pope is a spoiled, NYC society rich girl. Her jet-setting parents provide her with all the money and things she want
Paula  Phillips
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kensington Pope is a spoilt rich girl; even her name screams wealth. After her latest antics, her parents have decided to ship her off to her aunt's house in Wyoming. Her aunt and uncle own a Ranch out there and a Riding Academy where they teach Rodeo. This is going to be a massive wake-up call and adjustment for Kensington as all her life she has only had to look out for herself as her parents don't care as long as she isn't causing trouble for them. At first, this seems like hell for Kensingto ...more
Whitley Birks
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Short and sweet and highly readable, this book was right up my alley and I couldn't help picking it up. Rich girl/poor boy? Cowboys? Yes, please! I really liked the characters and chemistry between our two leads, the sweet moments between them were downright adorable and their relationship got me very invested. I liked all the side characters as well and I tore through the book in less than 24 hours.

Buuuut (you knew there was a but, there's always a but) when I say short I do mean short. At 164
Colleen's Conclusions
I received A Cowboy's Sweetheart from Netgalley. This has no impact on my thoughts. My thoughts are my own.

When I was little I would read any horse book I could get my hands on. Black Beauty, Thoroughbred series, Heartland, The Saddle Club. I loved pretty much all of them. A Cowboy's Sweetheart by Crista McHugh reminded me of a little bit of all of them even though it still held it's own. Kensi reminded me of Veronica from The Saddle Club, but I ended up really liking her.

Kensi came to Wyoming
Auburn
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was excited to read this. The contemporary cute romance was just what I wanted it to be. It reminded me of a Hallmark movie. I absolutely love a good Hallmark. The dynamic between Kensi and Javier was hilarious.

The romance wasn’t easy and the lead-up made it that much more enjoyable to read. I enjoyed the dual viewpoints of the book. We got to see each of their thoughts as well as how they changed throughout the book. The secondary characters were lovable as well and I cannot wait to see where
Eleanor Ward
Aug 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a really cute quick read with a fun, predictable romance. I thought the whole custody thing got pretty deep'n'dark pretty quickly but whatever it was a nice addition. I also liked the dressage/cowboy thing which was quit fun, however at first I really didn’t like her as she seemed immature and bratty but she grew on me by the end. Good fun.
April
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
A city girl and country boy a fun quick romance. I enjoyed the main characters but this is a typical story I felt I have read and seen before. A fun read the characters are great and the writing is enjoyable. A fun beach read.
Vickie
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Cowboy’s Sweetheart begins with Kensington Pope (Kensi) headed to her aunt and uncle’s ranch in Wyoming, out in the middle of nowhere. It’s worlds away from her home in New York city. However, she went one step too far and her parents decided to reign her in by sending her to the ranch to teach her a lesson. Kensi has an upcoming international dressage even coming up, so all she is concentrating on is practicing and getting the heck out of Dodge, or Wyoming, as it were.

Unfortunately, at least
Michelle
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
My full review can be found on the Epilie Aspie Chick blog!

Thank you to Victory Editing for providing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

It's always interesting to see these fish out of water stories because you never know how someone is going to respond once they are taken out of their natural environment. When it comes to Kensington, known through most of the book as Kensi, this is especially true when her life is ripped out of her hands and sent to the middle of knowhere Wyoming. It'
books are love
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I began the book I so disliked Kensi. She was arrogant, snobby and selfish. How she was towards her cousin Sierra and her uncle Bobby was atrocious. Yes we know you are not where you want to be. Yes we know you don’t like the situation and all you do is act out to get your parents attention but sweetheart you aren’t in Kansas anymore. And it took a bit to have her warm up to you. She is into dressage competition and we see here is where she shines and lets go of the attitude.

Javier is the e
May 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I received this book through Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

A Cowboy's Sweetheart tells the story of a spoiled rich city girl, Kensi, who is forced to spend the summer on her aunt and uncle's ranch after throwing a party. She is in for a culture shock as the ranch in the middle of Wyoming is the exact opposite of her life in New York City. Kensi is determined to spend the least amount of time on the ranch as possible. The last thing she wants is to become a part of the ranch family.
Johanna Montilla
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Actual Rate: 3.5 Stars.

I read this book in one afternoon and putting aside some repetitions and the excessive background, the narrative is great. Good pace and good dialogues.
I could say that A Cowboy’s Sweetheart is a story about discovering yourself, while you’re growing up but is not. Kensi, the main character knows exactly who she is and how much capable she is. Yes, she’s a spoiled child but the pretensions are part of herself and no in a wrong way but in a funny way. I love strong charact
Gisselle Lopez
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. My full review for Crista McHugh's A Cowboy's Sweetheart can be found on The Young Folks, at:

I found A Cowboy’s Sweetheart to be a very quick read, but no less engaging. While she initially starts off as an antagonistic character that I just could not see myself liking, I found myself rooting for Kensi; her character development from a bratty child to generous caretaker for her family
Yasso Baraka
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Cowboy’s Sweetheart is such a sweet romantic story. It talks about this rich NY Girl, Kensington, who is sent to stay at her Aunt Tammy’s ranch for the summer. This was her parents’ punishment for throwing a big party back home. She had it settled that when she goes to her competition in Germany, she will miss her connection flight back to Wyoming and stay in NY. She just had to live with Uncle Bobby, Aunt Tammy, their daughter, and the ranch boy for a few weeks then she will be partying in th ...more
Mihlean
I received a digital copy of this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest and voluntary review

Rating: 2 stars

A Cowboy’s Sweetheart is one big cliché, which was expected after having read the synopsis. The rich, spoiled brat has a change not just in heart but in her whole personality and falls for the poor and cynical love interest.

If I expected exactly this, why did I request the arc? I gotta be honest, cliché stories are a guilty pleasure of mine and I had hoped that even though this nove
Felicia Mathews (Bookishly Slytherclaw)
I received an ARC of A Cowboy's Sweetheart through Netgalley. All opinions are my own.

Overall, I really enjoyed A Cowboy's Sweetheart. I really loved that the romance was slow burning and wasn't just an instant thing. It felt authentic and much more believable.

This story was very short (164 for ebook/216 for physical). It would have been the perfect length if the story was just focused solely on the romance, but there are so many subplots throughout the story that I was ultimately left wanting
desiree  Bergez
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-2018
My Rating: 3.5 Stars.

*I received an ebook copy from Victory Editing NetGalley Co-Op off of NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

This was my first time reading anything written by Crista McHugh and I don’t regret reading it. It was a cute love story between a spoiled rich girl from New York and a cowboy who lives on her aunt’s farm. I found the story to be a little predictable. Rich girl gets sent away to live on a farm with her aunt for 6 weeks due to her behavior and parents who were neve
KS
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute YA read.

This story is light, cute and with a different setting than most books.

Kensi and Javier are about as opposite as you can get yet they really do seem to be kindred spirits in many ways. Money doesn't mean you don't struggle - it's just in a different form as they both come to realize. The backdrop of dressage is interesting and lends some depth to Kensi's character. And Javier's devotion to reuniting with his brothers is heartbreaking sweet.

Not all of this story was believable. But t
Twyla
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
i recieved this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a typical country boy / city girl read. But un a good way., the ones tou just can't resist. I fell in live with the MC right away and even though it was a hate to love relationship and tou knew where it was going you just couldn't stop reading.

I finished this book in an afternoon at the beach. It was an overall fun YA summer read. My number one guilty pleasure.

I do with they had explained a but more about the uncle. as
Kim
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spoiled rich girl Kensington who rides a thoroughbred horse in the dressage competition of the Grand Prix is horrified when after causing a quarter of a million dollars damage to her billionaire parents home is sent to love for the summer on her aunt’s rodeo ranch.

But Kensi doesn’t plan to stay there long and hatches a plan to get herself and her horse home. But then she meets Ranch hand Javier who although hot has secrets of his own.

Will Kensi stick to her plan to get home or will she pursue th
Jennifer Shanahan
May 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Super cute cowboy-city girl romance. Quick read and reasonably predictable except a for few parts. If it wasn't a holiday weekend, I would have finished this book in a couple of hours. Kensi is a rich spoiled New York teen who has tons of money yet no family life or love. Javier is a ranch hand who is trying to get custody of his younger brothers while living in a a trailer at Kensi's family's ranch. Kensi is sent there by her parents after she has an out of control party. They meet and develop ...more
Erica Baird
Jun 06, 2018 rated it liked it
ARC PROVIDED BY NETGALLEY IN EXCHANGE FOR AN HONEST REVIEW!

things I liked:
-COWBOYS AND COUNTRY LIFESTYLE
-character growth!!
-steamy cowboy make out sessions
-family orientated
-perfect light hearted summer read
-perfect amount of cringiness and stereotypes you would expect in a cowboy romance

things I didn’t like:
-quite a few typos
-although there was character growth, I feel like it wasn’t properly developed and it was kinda like the author just switched a switch on the characters
-Uncle Bobby as a
Laura ( Latteandbooks )
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
I was able to read this book in one sitting. It was cute but lacked something.

Kensi is from NYC and has to move to Wyoming with her aunt and uncle in the middle of nowhere because if a party she had.

Javier is one of the family’s workers who’s working his behind off so that he can get custody of his brothers.

This book was your typical teen romance. I wasn’t really intrigued with there story. I felt there was a big chunk missing, I’m not sure what exactly. I just left like something was missing.

Th
Carolina
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for giving me a DRC of this e-book.

A Cowboy's Sweetheart is a first book of the Rodeo Academy series. Kensington Pope, Kensi for short, has sent to the ranch from her parents after a disaster that happened at her home in New York City. Then, she stayed at her aunt's ranch for six weeks and she is doing a dressage practice for the competition. At the ranch, Kensi met a guy named Javier. They talk often during her stay.

There are few errors but this e-book is great. I like the p
Elizabeth Emily Browne
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really did enjoy this one. It was a light and funny read and just what I needed after reading an epic fantasy series. The chemistry and attraction between Javier and Kensi (I love these names my the way😍) was so cute and just everything I love in a romance.

I also loved the personal growth that Kensi went through while she was on the ranch. I loved how sassy she was and no matter what happened on the ranch she always kept a little of that attitude and I'm glad for it.

This was an amazing read
Shae Petersen
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a quick nice little romance that I enjoyed reading. The upper class girl falls for the cowboy. The romance was very angsty and too a while to get into, but I liked that. I liked how Javier brought the best out in Kensington and there was so much personal growth on her part. I loved the family elements throughout, particularly Javier and his brothers. The setting was great and met the author's intention to make it have a cowboy feel. I will continue with book 2, to see where the romance ...more
Janelle Hackbarth
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
I got an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley.

This story seems like your typical rich-girl-meets-country-boy story, but it's so much more than that. Kensi (rich girl) does seem to develop and grow throughout the book with the help of her aunt, uncle, cousin, and growing-crush Javier. I like how he shows her that there's more to the ranch than meets the eye.

I did enjoy the start to this "series" (I think it's a series) and look forward to reading the next book. I hope the next book deals wit
InD'tale Magazine
3.5/5.0

“A Cowboy’s Sweetheart” is an endearing story of how family and friendship can change someone’s heart and life for the better.

Read full review in the 2018 Oct issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Megan Oneail
Jun 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I received an eARC of this book in exchange for a fair review.
3.5/5 Stars.
This was a decent book, if a little bland. I really liked the premise, but felt that everything was so rushed. Huge gaps of time were skipped over, making it hard to become invested in the characters. That being said, it kept my attention and kept me entertained for a bit. I’d possibly read more from this author.
Jessica
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I got a free copy from the author.

I liked this story but didn't love it. Kensi is a spoiled rich girl and Javier is a ranch hand. This story has great potential but it was lacking something. what I'm not sure. I didn't connect with the characters much at all.

As always give the boom a read because I didn't love it doens' t mean you won't
Crista McHugh is a NEW YORK TIMES and USA TODAY BESTSELLING author of fantasy and romance with heroines who are smart, sexy, and anything but ordinary.

She also writes fantasy with less kissing and a lot more action as C. A. McHugh.

She currently lives in the Tesla-filled suburbs of Seattle with her husband and two children, maintaining her alter ego of mild-mannered physician on the weekends.