Start by marking “The Hound of Justice (The Janet Watson Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hound of Justice (The Janet Watson Chronicles, #2)

The Hound of Justice

(The Janet Watson Chronicles #2)

Dr. Janet Watson and former covert agent Sara Holmes, introduced in the acclaimed A Study in Honor, continue their dangerous investigation into the new American Civil War with the help of fresh allies, advanced technology, and brilliant deduction in this superb reimagining of Sherlock Holmes.

It’s been two months since Dr. Janet Watson accepted an offer from Georgetown Univ
Published July 30th 2019 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about The Hound of Justice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hound of Justice

Start your review of The Hound of Justice (The Janet Watson Chronicles, #2)
Elle (ellexamines)
The title of this book is. a pun and for that I rightfully should have enjoyed this. But… I was honestly pretty disappointed by this? I loved book one of this duology so much and this just wasn’t nearly as good for me.

I’m going to skip introducing the very excellent concept of this series and just get right to discussing this book. The main problem I had with this book is that the overuse of asides began really grating on me. In book one there were asides to establish the world and add to chara
Barb in Maryland
Excellent follow-up to 'A Study in Honor'.

I sure hope the author is planning on bringing us more adventures with Dr Janet Watson. She is awesome!
Caidyn (he/him/his)
1. A Study in Honor - 4/5

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

I didn't love the first book. The plot waned and I wasn't a huge fan of the author writing about black women when she's a white woman. Not that it can't be done and done well because I've read books by authors not writing in their same gender, race/ethnicity, or sexual orientation and did it amazingly. But this one felt like it. And while those things lagged, I did love the characters and the world was interesting and it had really good
Devann
actual rating: 3.5

Another interesting book in this series. This one seemed to have a few more pacing problems than the first. I guess the slow and somewhat meandering beginning is supposed to reflect how Janet is still feeling kind of lost in her life as she is still not able to actually perform surgery again etc, but it still dragged in a few points. I do think Janet is very in character and recognizable as a version of Watson, but Sara still feels a bit off as a version of Sherlock. I think it
J.
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We learn more about Janet Watson in this book, filling her in and fleshing out her past, which is a welcome development. It leads up to a nail-biting excursion into a place where she'd rather not go, but helps us understand far more of what's happening in this far-too-close-to-possible future...
XR
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Oh yeah!! Heaps more action, double crossing and badassery in this second book.

Sara Holmes was always a badass from the start and although Janet Watson volunteered her surgery skills for the war, she’s a surgeon first not a soldier, and so that’s why she impressed me in this book. She was afraid, but for Holmes whom she thought was in trouble, she sucked it up, pushed through her fears and got shizznit done!

I love this series! It’s smart and exciting, and keeps you guessing. I hope there’s more
Heather Jones
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The second book in O’Dell’s near-future Sherlockian thriller series takes the reader on a game of cat-and-mouse where our protagonist, Dr. Janet Watson, struggles in the midst of chaos and danger to continue trusting her colleague/housemate/friend--I would say “partner” except that word carries some erroneous implications when you’re talking about two queer women--Sara Holmes.

Janet’s progress to reclaim her career as a surgeon in the face of reliance on a high-tech prosthetic arm is derailed wh
Rana
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Love this series. It's exciting but the writing style is oddly calming.
Eric
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reviews
TL;DR

Claire O’Dell delivers a stunning thriller in The Hound of Justice. This new chapter in the Janet Watson Chronicles has me already wanting another. Highly Recommended.

Cross-posted at my blog, Primmlife.com

The Hound of Justice

Novels offer us options. One could view novels as paths not taken, and dystopian, political, and near-future fiction can be viewed as the path not yet taken. In recent years, the United States has become a divided nation in ways not thought possible just
Joe Crowe
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
(review from an advance copy)

This book series came along at a great time for me, as the family and I have been in a Sherlock Holmes mood, binge-watching "Elementary," a modern-day procedural where Sherlock has moved to America and Watson is a lady.

This series also flips Watson's gender, and everyone else's. Sherlock is now Sara, Mycroft is Micha. The characters' roles are flipped as well, with Watson now the lead hero.

The story isn't a detective procedural, really, as it contains more element
Marlene
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

The Hound of Justice is even better than A Study in Honor, and I loved A Study in Honor. But Study needs to set itself up in its near-future variation on our world and its not-quite-pastiche of Holmes and Watson.

When the action picks up in Hound, we’re already there. We know who these women are, and we recognize their world – it’s all too close to our own.

It’s a world that feels like a direct – and not very far future descendant – of the world we know now.
lauraღ
All those people like to say romance is nothing special. We all need something to take us through the bad times. We all need books where there’s a happy ending.

I don't usually do the quote thing when I didn't enjoy a book very much, but this one stood out to me. As well as every time Holmes called Watson "my love" because I can't get enough of that.

Otherwise... this was honestly such a disappointment. It had none of the magic and charm and excitement that I felt reading that first book, and all
Darlene
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-and-sf
Part of what determines whether I give a book four or five stars on Goodreads is if I find myself at odd times of the day wanting to go back to reading it, or when it keeps me up late to finish. The Hound of Justice is one such novel, an excellent follow-up to the first of the Janet Watson Chronicles. Because we are already familiar with the near-future dystopian America from A Study in Honor we can get right into the story, and I especially enjoyed seeing Dr. Watson try to re-establish herself ...more
Alison
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
My only complaint about this book is that it takes nearly half the book until the main plot gets going. Don’t get me wrong I love Janet Watson, but I wanted to see more interaction between her and Sara Holmes. There was barely any Sara! The first 141 pages could have been condensed into 50 pages I feel- so much setup for the actual conflict to get going.

When it got going though, I was so engaged! Loved the action and the espionage, Janet worked so well like that, instead of moping around the ho
Amy Bruestle
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rike @ RikeRandom
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm torn, really torn. I liked this a lot more than the first one. But it's so much about race and especially blackness, black history, black culture and I only just realised that it's written by a white woman and that's kind of a problem simply because race is such an important aspect of the story.
Mark
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are undercurrents of Homes and Watson (Conan Doyle's) but they are deep subtext. These novels have been engaging on their own merits and the added reference to Sherlock and John merely spice the stew. Be aware, these are very much about the present and our state of complication, told in an elegantly confident voice and offering an all-too-plausible scenario and crimes to match. I look forward to the next very much.
Berni Phillips
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
For those unfamiliar with this series, it's an update on Holmes and Watson with the emphasis on Watson. Janet Watson, M.D., is a traumatized vet who lost an arm in an uprising - this series is set a few decades in the future after the second American Civil War. She has a new robotic arm which she is getting used to, doing the tedious work of the therapy required so she can one day be a surgeon again.

Her Holmes is the brilliant Sara Holmes, but this is Watson's story. This second novel is basical
Liz Harkness
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A satisfying continuation of the Janet Watson Chronicles.
Avery (Book Deviant)
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
enjoyed this one more then the first. thank you harpercollins for sending me an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.
Joseph
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic work by this author in this series. An amazing mix of dystopia, mystery, adventure, and political commentary. This series is so well-written that, if it weren't for the sci-fi aspects, the stories could almost be believable. And that makes them a little bit horror as well.
Ms. Woc Reader
I was so excited about this story but it was just so bland. The story is a twist on Sherlock Holmes but with a disabled, queer, black woman. Yep, 3 boxes of diversity check. It's like the white writer of this story went through a checklist of ways to show she is "woke". This book is set in the near future though it feels exactly like 2019. Our lead is bland and boring always going through the motions of her day to day as a surgeon. She's learning to adapt to her job with her new disability but I ...more
Jeremy Brett
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Claire O'Dell's follow-up to her wonderful Holmesian pastiche " A Study in Honor" is in every way equal to its predecessor. Once again O'Dell has brought Holmes and Watson to new and modern life in a mystery that reflects the racial and political concerns of our fractured America. O'Dell brings her usual depth of character development and emotion to this new book, focusing particularly on Janet Watson standing alone (whereas the first book charted Janet's relationship with Sara Holmes). Janet is ...more
Lora
Mar 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway, and will review once I've read it.
Vivian
3.5-star read

Dr. Janet Watson returned to Washington D.C. from the new American Civil War filled with anger, PTSD, and without a home or job. She eventually did find a home with Sarah Holmes, a government agent, and a job with the VA. The job situation didn't last very long and ended with Janet and Sarah uncovering some unsavory connections between Adler Industries and the VA. On a happy note, Janet wound up with a new job at Georgetown University Hospital as a surgeon and a new prosthesis. But
William Bentrim
May 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Hound of Justice by Claire O’Dell
This is a book in the Janet Watson Chronicle, a follow up to A Study in Honor. Janet Watson is a surgeon injured in the war. She finds herself embroiled in politics due to her friendship with Sara Holmes, an agent so sometime from some part of the government. Dr. Watson is drawn into the intrigue by her desire to see justice done to a corporation who caused the death of so many soldiers.
O’Dell provides an in-depth character study of Dr. Watson. Watson suffer
Cindy
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it
More about Janet Watson, who I like, but less of Holmes that I wanted. The two don't actually interact a lot in this book, although the whereabouts of Holmes is a large part of the story.

We get to see more about Janet's family, all who seem to have some family grievance with Janet that makes for almost hostile reunions. Now, with Janet having secrets, I don't think that family is going to be much in Janet's future.

My concern is that with Holmes a spy, and Janet making a life as a surgeon in DC,
Roberta
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I finally received my ARC of this book, for which I was looking forward to receiving, for my honest review. I am always very appreciative when I receive same even, as is the case here, if it is received later than when one normally receives a book which they have won.

Nonetheless, I did not finish reading this book for one reason. I understand that the book was a work of fiction, however I resent it when an author attempts to push his or her personal political agenda by using partisan innuendos w
Banshee
Initially I was tempted to give this book 4 stars, but after really thinking about it while writing this book review I have to take away a star.

The plot was interesting with plenty of world building, character development and action. The pacing on the other hand was off. The first half of the novel was super slow as Janet just meanders through the daily grind. I thought too much of the novel focused on everyday problems, like finding a new apartment, that I started to get bored. The last half w
« previous 1 3 next »

• Catfishing on CatNet (CatNet #1)
  • Grave Importance (Dr. Greta Helsing #3)
  • Galileo (Evan Reed Mysteries, #2)
  • The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • Laughter at the Academy
  • The Perfect Assassin (Chronicles of Ghadid, #1)
  • Upright Women Wanted
  • The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • The Unkindest Tide (October Daye, #13)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Twisted at the Root
  • Minor Mage
  • Stormsong (The Kingston Cycle, #2)
  • Sixteenth Watch
  • Escaping Exodus (Escaping Exodus, #1)
  • Out of Salem
  • Let It Shine
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.

Pen name of Beth Bernobich

The Janet Watson Chronicles (2 books)
  • A Study in Honor (The Janet Watson Chronicles, #1)

News & Interviews