Start by marking “Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)” as Want to Read:
Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)

Protect the Prince

(Crown of Shards #2)

Magic, murder, adventure, and romance combine in this second novel in the exciting Crown of Shards saga from New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jennifer Estep.

Everleigh Blair might be the new gladiator queen of Bellona, but her problems are far from over.

First, Evie has to deal with a court full of arrogant, demanding nobles, all of whom want to get their gree
Published July 2nd 2019 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Protect the Prince, please sign up.
Jessica Williams People have advanced reader copies. Book reviewers usually get them in exchange for publicity.

Start your review of Protect the Prince (Crown of Shards, #2)
Ari
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-reads
Beth
First, I have to say, after I finished PROTECT THE PRINCE, I immediately when back and re-read KILL THE QUEEN and then PROTECT THE PRINCE, again! It was that GOOD!

Evie has reluctantly claimed the thrown and now her troubles really begin. Her finely tuned art of political machinations will become her life line of survival. But at least she has the friends she made at the gladiator troupe to have her back.

Court intrigue, intense action and everything you’d expect from the incredible story telling
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Protect the Prince by Jennifer Estep

2nd in the Crown of Shards series. Fantasy series. Best read after the first Kill the Queen.
Everleigh, The heroine is fierce and tender hearted. She is going to do what’s best for her kingdom regardless of the cost to herself. She puts herself on the line several times. Even when her own heart s breaking.

Intense and action filled. I can’t wait for the next in the series.

Gargoyles: living, breathing stone. Like puppies, they like their bellies rubbed. If they
Ian
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Every now and then I get a hankering for KFC.
Not often.
Maybe once in every two or three months.
I know I'm going to regret it but the craving needs to be sated.

And I always end up feeling ill and swearing that never again will I put myself through that.

Jennifer Estep is a bit like that. I struggle with her writing style. The countless repeated adjectives, the self recriminations her characters all go through, the use of dreams to tell a back story.

But I've read 20+ of her books and I keep go
Lady Heather
"Pretty, pretty princes,
All in a row.
Who will they marry?
Where will they go?

This girl, that girl,
Maid, lady, queen.
Who snares the princes' hearts
remains to be seen."

- Andvarian court song

"5- What does it mean to be a Winter Queen- Stars"

"Summer queens are fine and fair, with
pretty ribbons and flowers in their hair.

Winter queens are cold and hard,
with frosted crowns made of icy shards."

-Bellonan fairy-tale rhyme

This was such an amazing read!
This book was an incredible story of lies, treachery,
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth

GENRE: Fantasy
RATING: 4 STARS
CLIFFHANGER: Yes

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG

After KILL THE QUEEN I couldn't wait to see how Evie was going to deal with her new status as the Queen of Bellonan. Here are my thoughts:

- Evie had a lot of hangups about people judging her. Her inner monologues, repeating how she thought she didn't deserve being queen, that she was a fraud, a pretender, were a little repe
Lauren Stoolfire
The Crown of Shards series by Jennifer Estep is so awesome. Luckily for me, Protect the Prince is just as brilliant as Kill the Queen and it was great to see Everleigh back in action.
I can't wait to read book three. I'm going to have to read more Jennifer Estep in the future.
Cindy ✩☽♔
“Because life can be a cruel, heartless bitch,” Helene snapped. “Because we should hold on to the happiness we have and not worry about what other people think of it, or especially of us. Because caring about someone occasionally means compromising something about yourself for their benefit and not your own. That’s what real love is.”

With equal the amount of fantasy, action, and intrigue plus double the romance, angst, and court politics this book builds on upon its predecessor's success making
☕️Kimberly
Action-packed and romantic Protect the Prince further fleshed out the world as our Queen Everleigh Blair embraced her role and showed the realms what a Winter Queen looks like.

Problems begin in Bellona as court politics force Evie to deal with those who question her ability to lead. Assassination attempts, wicked cuts and barbed tongue lashings immediately pulled me in.

We then head to Andvarian palace, the birthplace of Lucas Sullivan, the King’s bastard. Evie hopes to form an alliance between t
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Jennifer Estep has once again blown me away with her ability to create not only a unique world full of magic and wonder and believe-ability but memorable characters that you can't help but love and feel for.

A unique epic fantasy that will blow you away, get your heart and blood pumping and your hand eagerly turning the pages because you just can't get enough, fast enough.

I loved Kill the Queen and it still remains one of my favorite reads for 2018 but Protect the Prince has by far surpassed tha
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
*****5 Magic Master Stars*****

What a great 2nd book to the series and to me, it wrapped the romance up in a perfect way. Now, the war? I know there will be another book coming but I wonder if it's with Evie or will there be a new main character? My guess....Gemma.

I can't wait to see what comes next!
Soo
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

I liked the first book more than this one. I'll have to be really bored to check out the rest of this series. The writing is not as good as what I would expect from JE.
Emma
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I love the continuation of this story and not only because of the gargoyles! Well worth the wait for the second in series. The story really hits its stride, Evie tries to make a treaty with Sullivan’s people while foiling various assassination attempts. I must say I was surprised by events at the end of this book as I anticipated them at the end of the trilogy. Jennifer Estep writes feel good books and I very much enjoyed it.
Mei
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Evie is the Winter Queen. Still she must convince the nobles that she is the Winter Queen and that's not easy at all!

She was much more free as a gladiator than she's now! She must put to use all the skill she learned while being the illused noblewoman in the same court. And, while she excel there, IMHO, she's not convinced. She still doubts her self-worth!

But she fights with wit and sword! And with her imunity to magic!

She will discover some very neat thing about her imunity! LOL

I loved the mac
Roobie
⭐️3 stars⭐️

I was queen.
It didn't matter how I had gotten here, only what I did while the crown was on my head.
And that would always be protecting Bellona and her people-and fuck anyone who was stupid enough to doubt me or tried to keep me from doing my duty as queen.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

What a wonderful book! I found myself really being swept away by the story and was completely invested in what would happen to this group of characters. I really enjoyed the first book in the series, Kill the Queen, so I was looking forward to this one and hoping that it would be just as good as the first book. I ended up liking this installment even a bit more than the first. This really was a wonderful reading experience.

This is th
Rumsha
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Mediocre follow up to a strong entry, mostly because no reader should ever be subjected to food smells as frequently as this author thinks is appropriate. Is lime truthfulness even grammatically correct? Someone spare Estep the ashy heartbreak and get this book a beta, before all that garlicky guilt and minty regret set in. 🙄
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Protect the Prince
Series: Crown of Shards #2
Author: Jennifer Estep
Release date: , 2019
Cliffhanger: No
Genre:fantasy

In this second installment of the Crown of Shards series, we take off three months after Evie has defeated her murderess cousin Vasilia. As the only Winter Blair left, she's taken her place on the throne and adjusting to her new life. In the previous book we saw her go through a transformation, becoming more confident in her strength and abilities. Training with the Black Swa
Ann (annreads)
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
“I was only queen by chance, by accident, but I was queen. It didn’t matter how I had gotten here, only what I did while the crown was on my head. And that would always be protecting Bellona and her people—and fuck Heinrich and anyone else who was stupid enough to doubt me or tried to keep me from doing my duty as queen.”

That was actually amazing and such a great sequel! Evie is literally my QUEEN and I cannot get enough of her! Overall, I love where the series is going and I'm super excited fo
✩ Mira ✩
Jun 14, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5

It was a bit better than the first book, but the characters still felt immature (I mean Evie is supposed to be 27 and Sullivan 30-ish, but their actions reminded me of what a 16 year old would do, and their immaturity was the cause for the drama which was just sooo cheap and ugh).

The action scences weren't that well written in my opinion, which made them very unrealistic and some of them could have been over soo much quicker and easier altogether if people did the logical thing and helped eac
Geri Reads
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Full review to come!

A review copy was furnished by the publisher
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
I didn't enjoy this one as much as I did book 1. Even though it's been a few months since I read the first book I thought there were tons of repetition in this book, per the author's usual writing style.

I liked Evie but this whole business of playing the long game was a bit unbelievable for some reason. She just did not come across as someone who had the mental know how for that. Yes, she remembers the little slights of her people when she was an orphan but that doesn't equate to being adept at
Melissasfandomworld
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really awesome sequel.
Not As strong as the first book but still really good.

* It has more than enough story line development.
* The characters were such a joy to read about again and I loved meeting some new characters as well, like Sullivan’s family for example and other people at court in Andvari.
* There’s more than enough action and girl-power present
* There’s magic everywhere
* There’s a court setting with lots of plotting and scheming going on
* There’s romance and heartbreak and a lot o
Adah Udechukwu
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Protect the Prince is a pretty cool novel. I'm sure Book 3 will be nice as well.
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
Audiobook review

4,5 bad@ss heroine stars

I loved Kill the Queen so much that I had to buy extra credits on Audible as I could not wait for my new credit, days away, before listening to its sequel Protect the Prince.

One thing is certain: that series is addictive!

And the issue that I had with the world building and the slow “feel”  in the first book is completely gone!

In “Protect the Prince”, we follow Evie while she now is Queen of Bellona.

Being queen is no picnic because:

-th
Jen Davis
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked the first book in the series well enough, but I like this second installment even more. I felt like Jennifer Estep really hit her stride with these characters and their story here.

It kicks off right on the heels of Kill the Queen. Everleigh is about three months into her reign and she has to keep her guard up all the time. No one around her really believes she is up to the job and they all want to take advantage of her. She ends up going to Andvarie, Sullivan's home turf, to make a treat
 LEAH⇢
MY RATING⇢ 4.3 STARS | GRADE A-

THE KEY POINTS OF THE STORY⇣

⬥HIGH FANTASY WITH AN URBAN APPEAL
⬥POISONINGS & ASSASSINATION ATTEMPTS
⬥INTRIGUE
⬥MAGIC
⬥ADULT ROMANCE (DEFINITELY NOT YA)
⬥GARGOYLES

THE DEETS⇣

AUDIO PERFORMED BY⇢ Lauren Fortgang
BOOK COVER⇢ I liked the cover on Book #1 better...but it's cool.
SETTING⇢ Bellona & Andvari
SOURCE⇢ Libby Audiobook (Library)
AUDIOBOOK LENGTH⇢ 12 hours, 40 minutes

MY THOUGHTS⇣

Despite excellent narration, an intriguing plotline, and exceptional action scenes, I found my
Melliane
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I had really had a great time with the first volume and I was looking forward to discovering what the author would bring to this second one. This was all the more the case as I did not expect the story to go that fast in the first volume.

As Queen, Everleigh has to deal with a whole bunch of new problems, and for the moment there are a lot of them! The nobles do not want her, assassination attempts are increasing and Evie has to go to the kingdom of Andvarie t
Sara Kate
I love Sully and Everly. This story just checks every box for me. This one was tad bit more slow than the first book but the ending was just EVERYTHING! This is one of my favorite series this year.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/07/15/...

Last year’s Kill the Queen was my first book I ever read by Jennifer Estep and it had me hooked! I was pleased to be back into this world with Protect the Prince and was looking forward to seeing where she will take the characters and story next. If you haven’t caught up to this point yet, be aware as this review may contain spoilers for the first book.

Last time we saw Everleigh “Evie” Blair, she had just saved the kingdom

• Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Emerald Blaze (Hidden Legacy, #5)
  • Chaos Reigning (Consortium Rebellion, #3)
  • The Blacksmith Queen (The Scarred Earth Saga, #1)
  • Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4)
  • Sweep with Me (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4.5)
  • Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Polaris Rising (Consortium Rebellion, #1)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Sweep of the Blade (Innkeeper Chronicles, #4)
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
  • Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • Wicked Hour (Heirs of Chicagoland, #2)
  • Fortune Favors the Cruel (Dark Maji, #1)
  • Shattered Bonds (Jane Yellowrock, #13)
  • Wayfarer's Keep (The Broken Lands, #3)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times, USA Today, and international bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea. She has written more than 40 books, along with numerous novellas and stories.

In her spare time, Jennifer enjoys hanging out with friends and family, doing yoga, and reading fantasy and romance books. She also watches way too much TV and lo

Crown of Shards (3 books)
  • Kill the Queen (Crown of Shards, #1)
  • Crush the King  (Crown of Shards, #3)