Start by marking “Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)

Shadow & Flame

(Rime Chronicles #2)

From acclaimed author Mindee Arnett comes the thrilling conclusion of the stunningly epic, action-packed, and romantic fantasy adventure about a powerful girl possessed of strange magic, the outcast prince she loves, and the kingdom that has torn them apart.

Kate and Corwin are on the run, desperate for allies in a new world of war among the kingdoms of Rime. As the book
Published June 4th 2019 by Balzer + Bray

Start your review of Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
Athena (OneReadingNurse)
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shadow and Flame is so much darker than the first novel and I tore through it. If I could say anything: I went into this series expecting it to be more about the messenger service and the horses. As much as I love these books I still have a large messenger-horse sized hole in my heart. Right next to Bonner's giant hole. Basically I have no heart right now.

Shadow and Flame branched a span of almost two years, and it was weird to have that kind of time go by from the prologue to the rest of the
Ben Alderson
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the sequel! It was darker then the first which felt like a Disney film in comparison.
Glad I read the sequel straight away. Does anyone else find this a lot? I am always preferring sequels to the first books.
Brooke Witherow
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
The ending made this book. My eyes watered (NO ONE IS SAFE!) at the end because ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Also I thought the end was cool, for lack of a better word.

Loved the uror. I want to draw this horse now. Love, love, love, love.

Loved the line, “Her grief was like the tide—nothing could hold it back.”

***bit of a spoiler ahead, though you might not understand it if you haven’t started reading it.... but be warned****. One sticking point for me was I didn’t get why the smoke didn’t spread at the
Lesa Divine
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it

Enjoyable read. Continuing from part 1.
The Wilders are slaves in the pit. Edwin is king. Where's Corwin. Kate is queen of then Wilders. Making sure to keep peace.

But when Dal life is threaten she most go save him. But finding out more about Corwin and a wilder just like her.

The author isn't afraid to kill off characters ugh but hey that's the jest of it all. To fall for characters but not sure if they'll make it to the end. I enjoyed this series.
Erin Wilder
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was so incredibly disappointed by this book. Which makes me very sad because I really really enjoyed Onyx and Ivory. In the first book I loved the characters. They were strong and lovely. They felt completely off in this book. I found it quite hard to keep reading and often I was rolling my eyes. I'm not quite Game of Thrones series finally disappointed, but still pretty disappointed :(
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book at no cost from the publisher/author. All opinions expressed in my review are my own.

I am so unbelievably impressed with this book and this series. This was such a brilliant finale to end this story. There are some bittersweet moments towards the end. I may not recover from this book hangover that is coming.

First of all, this book starts off with a bang, for certain. The prologue was just shocking and unexpected. The entire sequence of events, from
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
How did I not already have this added?! I've only been craving it since October!! ...more
Celia McMahon
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
So, if you’re like me and hate small talk worse than putting your finger into a meat grinder you’ll get what I’m about to say: this book was like being stuck making small talk with no means of escape.

I loved ONYX AND IVORY. I loved it so much that I rated it up there with some of my fav fantasies of all time. Which is why I’m so disappointed in this sequel.

The characters felt off. In the first book, they had heart. They had depth. I cared for them as I would my own. They didn’t reel me in this
Anna
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Alexandra
Jun 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I received an e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Review and blog tour can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

Prepare yourselves for more action, politics, and mystery in the sequel of Ony & Ivory! Leaving the gorgeous new cover behind I have to stand by my amazement of how Mindee kept me glued to the page chapter after chapter AFTER giving me THAT prologue! (you can read it on my blog tour stop)

Kate and gang have to deal with a new upcoming threat that will be a great
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I first started reading Shadow & Flame, I was a bit confused by the time gap. After all, an entire revolution had taken place since the events of Onyx & Ivory. However, Arnett did a great job of filling in the gaps. It was also interesting to see how the main characters had changed since the events of both the previous book and the war that occurred between books.

Shadow & Flame is told in the POV of both Kate and Corwin. I enjoyed seeing how they both grew into their roles and
Nikki
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I found this so disappointing. I really enjoyed the first book but this seemed to drag on. Plus I found Kate fairly annoying. I honestly couldn’t tell you why I didn’t enjoy it as much - it just felt a bit samey after a while. The bad guys all felt two dimensional and replaceable with each other.

I did enjoy the interaction between Corwin and Eravis, and getting to see a little more on the uror though.

2.5 stars.
Becca Mee
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed Onyx and Ivory, but I LOVED Shadow and Flame. From the outset, Arnett’s writing is gripping. The stakes are high and the losses is heartbreaking. This Duology is thoroughly original with an endearing and complicated cast of characters and a amazingly developed world. And man, does Arnett have a talent for forbidden and complicated romance. This sequel is exciting and electrifying, building on the foundation set in the first book. In conclusion, this book both thrilled and devastated ...more
Kyla
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it

Man oh man was that better than I expected.

Have you ever picked up a sequel and thought, “Well, I know where this is going.” I most certainly have and was most certainly WRONG with this installment. Mindee Arnett blew me out of the water with this sequel. It’s dark, and gritty and never lets go of the social justice threads woven in this book. In a word? I thought this book was “wondrous.” My goodness was this book superior to Oynx and Ivory in my humble opinion.

This book picks up months after
Kirsti
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grrrr I hate when you write up a review only for it to disappear? I thought I had reviewed this days ago and instead noticed my stats weren't matching up...anyway.

I read this directly after finishing the first book. The first was just such an engaging story, that I had to continue the story immediately and I actually broke my kindle buying rules and spent far more on this than I intended. It was worth every cent though, because this was just as good as the first book! At first I wasn't sure
Tiffany Bookwormgram
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Immediate thoughts:

This ending was not everything I hoped for, but I did really like this series.

There was so much death in this conclusion. Overall, it just felt...so dark. The characters, who were very strong in book one, were lacking here for me. There just wasn’t a good balance between plot and characters.

That said, I read it in basically one day and this series is so well paced and enjoyable. I look forward to whatever comes next from this author!
Imogene
Definitely enjoyable, if a little bit heart breaking. It did feel a little rushed. Some parts of the story were pushed too hard, not letting the readers wrap their heads around things. Some characters appeared and then disappeared almost immediately.

Plus there is a definite further story, at least a Novella that needs to follow one particular character.
Jenn (The Book Refuge)
Non- Spoilers

This duology could have been drug out into at least one more book and I find myself thankful that the author kept it to 2. Not because I didn’t enjoy it. I think this gives both entries a lot of punch. Which isn’t always the case with young adult fantasy. You know what I mean.

Kate is still amazing; she gets a power upgrade that comes with new challenges.

Her and Corwin get separated in different ways than expected.

There are our favorite side characters and new side characters to hate
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

I adored Onyx & Ivory and knew that as soon as I could, I had to get a copy of book 2, and I was not disappointed in the finale to this fantastic duology. Now that Kate and Corwin have dealt with their previous issues, and the anguish of the last book, they are fighting together as the Wilder Queen and the rightful King. However, after a disastrous prologue, they are separated again, with Corwin presumed
Courtney
I've spent about 3 days trying to figure out how I felt about this book. I still don't think I've figured it out but if I wait too much longer I will literally never write anything ever.

I loved the way this book was written and I was very partial to Corwin (which is kind of funny because I distinctly remember being very not partial to him for the first part of the last book). I read this entire thing in a day because I had such a hard time putting it down, the pacing was really perfect and I
Chloe
This book was so much more darker and brutal than Onyx and Ivory, but I bloody loved it! There was so many twists and turns AND SO MUCH DEATH Really recommend these books, they're so underrated in the ya fantasy genre! ...more
Monique
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some books just stay with you and this series is one of those. There is so much depth and character growth and themes going on, I loved it! I was a bit fearful at the beginning when my very least liked trope was introduced (no, not a love triangle, there is one thing worse), I shan’t tell you what it is because of spoilers, but thankfully it didn’t last long. Phew. There was plenty of action to keep the plot going and it never got boring, but also not too much action, the pacing was very well ...more
Katie Steele
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this story. A beautiful ending.

I don’t really have a full review for Shadow and Flame yet. All I can come up with, having just finished maybe five minutes ago, is that @mindeearnettauthor is brilliant and has solidly made a place for her books on my favorites shelf. Right next to Robert Jordan, Susan Dennard, Brandon Sanderson, Sarah J. Maas. Fantasy stories are my favorites, and this one is among the best I’ve read. I hope that one day I can accomplish even a fraction of what she pulled
Taylor Sanders
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome! I read it in a day and it was a completely perfect ending. I loved it.

I loved the character development and the struggles. I loved Corwin dealing with his captivity and his emotions. I loved how his feeling became complicated.

I loved Kate and how she struggled through grief. The book started off as a tragedy and ended beautifully.
Shalini | Book Rambler
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
“He was no different from any other man. He bled and wept and suffered and loved.”

Disclaimer: You should obviously not read Shadow & Flame if you haven't read Onyx and Ivory, the first book in the duology. This review may contain spoilers.

Shadow & Flame follows Kate Brighton and gang six months after the conclusion of Onyx and Ivory. We get to read dual povs of Kate and prince Corwin as we did in the previous book. I liked Shadow & Flame more than its predecessor because of its
Marie -The Reading Otter
Feb 06, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf-s
Review:

So, my first DNF of the new year, and it was a book that I was looking forward to.
It's a shame really. I wanted a sequel, just not this sequel.
(view spoiler)
Christine
Sep 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
I had mixed emotions about this conclusion. This book helped me me out of my reading slump. It's fast-paced and Arnett gives you enough clues that if you haven't read the first book in a bit, you'll still catch up. There's plenty of action and some interesting questions about free-will and faith (in more than a religious sense).

However, while Kate and Corwin continue as well-drawn characters, everyone else falls flat. Dal gets one moment where I thought "huh, so is this his personality then?
Jen
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The second in the Onyx & Ivory duology. I also listened to this one. While I still enjoyed the story, it took me a little longer to get through this one. As is typical sometimes in series books, the subsequent books are typically not as good as the first. I can’t decide if that is the case for Shadow & Flame or not. It definitely takes us to darker places. There are more twists and turns than there were in the first, so it’s still quite entertaining. We take place where we left off. In ...more
Katherine Paschal
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
**3.5 Stars**

This was a super hard book to read for me and I almost stopped half way through, not because the writing was bad (because it wasn't bad at all, it was fantastic at the amount of emotions she made me feel!) but the plot was so emotional and depressing, not at all how I wanted the book to go or the relationship dynamics that I hoped for. The ending had a positive note, but it still was a rough, heartbreaking read.
Dreximgirl
I really wanted to like this as I loved the first book but I found I just couldn't. In particular I found Kate particularly annoying, I definitely remember liking all of the characters a lot more in the first book and this time they just all felt a little off.

A shame as I had been looking forward to it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• These Divided Shores (Stream Raiders, #2)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Traitor's Kingdom (The Traitor's Circle, #3)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • The Girl the Sea Gave Back (Sky in the Deep, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
  • Queen of Ruin (Grace and Fury, #2)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • Oath Taker (Kingdom of Runes, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
YA Author of THE NIGHTMARE AFFAIR, a contemporary fantasy coming March 5, 2013 from Tor Teen (Macmillan) and AVALON, a YA sci-fi thriller coming Winter 2014 from Balzer+Bray (HarperCollins). Represented by the fabulous Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary. Addicted to jumping horses and telling tales of magic, the macabre, and outer space.

Rime Chronicles (2 books)
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)
“I've come for you, Gerswhen Tormane. To restore the life you have stolen. - The Paragon” 1 likes
“Be a good king, Corwin Tormane. As I was the worst of us, may you be the best.” 1 likes