Start by marking “Seeds and Trees” as Want to Read:
Seeds and Trees

Seeds and Trees

Words are powerful. They can hurt or they can heal.

It’s time to tell a special tale that will warm the hearts of readers of all ages. Seeds and Trees revels in the power of words. It explores their effects on feelings and emotions. And it does so though the journey of two different seeds.

In Seeds and Trees, discover a young prince who gathers seeds both green and dark

Published June 12th 2018 by The Treasured Tree (first published June 2nd 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Seeds and Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seeds and Trees

Briar's Reviews
Seeds and Trees by Brandon Walden is a super cute illustrated story.

I absolutely love the main title page - the flowers, thorns and bird are absolutely stunning. The art style felt unique yet beautiful, which is something I crave in picture books. I love seeing different art styles that connect with the story.

An added touch was the letter from the author at the beginning. As a child, I probably would have skipped by it and not cared in the least, but as an adult I like reading into the mind of
Teri
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has a nice lyrical quality to it. The illustrations are magical, and I think are superior to the story. I felt like some of the vocabulary was a little out of reach for small children, so I'm not quite sure who the intended audience would be for the book.
Cassie Thomas
Sep 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found the lyrical rhythm to be appealing, as well as the illustrations. I do not think this story would be interesting for young kids, they definitely would get lost and fast, but for my 5th graders it is definitely going to be a story we read and discuss.
Al
Jul 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Great illustrations. A good book to open the way for discussions, though the message may be lost on some kids.
Sandra
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Seeds and Trees - I liked it, I liked the concept, the idea and the lesson to be learned. I can't see it being a book that would be popular with children as it's very deep and something that often adults don't understand - the power of the spoken word or once a word is spoken, it cannot be taken back.

Scripture talks about the tongue being a two-edged sword. Jesus said that, with it, we bless people and we curse people. 'The tongue can be like a two-edged sword when words are hurtful, degrading,
Christen
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful, worth reading and discussing

I love the imagery of the seeds spoken by people and the trees they grow. The story is well-written with so many opportunities for discussion.
Hannah Baity
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this adorable children's book! The illustrations were beautiful and the message was clear to an adult reader. It seems an easy way to introduce the concept of giving life to positive thoughts and feelings rather than fueling negative ones. It definitely can start a conversation between a child and parent/caregiver!
Kari
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful message!!

I loved reading this to my kids. It has a great message and they loved the story. The artwork was beautiful. This is one book I will gift everyone, because it can be enjoyed by kids, teens, and adults. Also, it is a perfect teacher gift.
Fisher
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's a great concept with lovely illustrations, an important lesson and a simple yet elegant metaphor. The writing could use a little editing, but it's certainly good enough to carry the message and the story is entertaining.
Lori C
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-kids-books
An absolutely gorgeous combination of poetry and artwork, making a point worth considering at any age.
Barbara Ann
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book features a young prince as the protagonist. He lives in a castle by the sea. Every day he goes out to collect seeds. The prince soon realizes that some of these seeds become dark seeds, while others remain green. As the trees he plants grow, the dark seeds develop thistles and thorns. The green seeds blossom into beautiful shade trees. The reader comes to understand that the green seeds represent good words that are beautiful and true, while the dark seeds represent harmful, cruel word ...more
Jacelynn
I've always loved fairy tales and nature, so when I saw this book I was instantly drawn in. It wasn't what I quite expected but I really enjoyed it. It is the tale of how for each kind word spoken to him he gets a green seed but for every unkind word spoken to him he gets a dark seed. Then he tends and cares for all his seeds and trees as they grow bigger. However, soon the dark trees begin to overtake the land, killing the green seeds. Until one day someone comes and shows the prince that its o ...more
Cheyenne
I really like the moral of this story. I realized at a young age the power of words. A lesson I never forgot. Everyone knows kids can be careless with what they say, so I like the idea of a book, at the very least, planting the seed that you should be careful what you say.

I thought the way the other used "seeds" to get his point across was very creative. The illustrations were very nice as well. I did have a problem with wording a bit. It was, for me, a little repetitive and I found the rhyming
Mel V
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful book with a wonderful message on the power of words! We always have a choice—we can speak life-giving, healing words, or we can speak words that are dark and full of death. We also have a choice of what we do with the words (seeds) that are spoken (given) to us. We can nurture the good ones or the bad ones, but we must be careful, because as the author points out—whatever we water will surely grow! This is a great little story to share with your children—read it to them, and dis ...more
Alex Wakeham
Publish Date:2018
This was a really sweet poem book that spoke of being kind to yourself and others. I think this book would be helpful in the classroom, because it promotes positivity and kindness, I think it would be great to use if there were bullying happening in the classroom. This book would be great for parents as well, as it's message is to encourage your children, not put them down.
Courtnei
actual rating 3.5
this book was a beautiful metaphor, but i'm not sure it would work with a large group of young children. definitely a great book to read to elementary students about how the words they say can affect their friends and classmates beyond what they can see.

the illustrations are lovely! :)
Rachel Alcorn
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must Have for parents and therapists

As parent and therapist who specializes in trauma, I can't recommend this book enough. Great conversation starter for kids. Sticks & stones may break my bones, but words can hurt if you carry them with you. Make sure you read the letter from the author (aloud to children) first.
Katja
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A picture book about a prince who plants seeds out of words. Good words create happy trees and mean words create bad trees. The bad trees threaten to suffocate the happy trees until someone tells him not to plant and water the bad words. It's good advice I guess.

Some of text rhymes, some doesn't.
April M.
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great message

I’m not sure if this book is really geared for a younger child but it has a great message and will spark wonderful conversations between kids and parents. It is a great analogy about how we let negative things people say choke out the good things in our life. Well done!
Lauran Burnham
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cultivate What Is Positive

I absolutely adored the art work and extended metaphor that was used throughout this story! I will be reading this to my nieces when they get older (one is yet to be born, and the other is only 18 months old.) I think metaphors may be lost on them at this age. Haha! I think the only argument that anybody could make against this story is that while negativity can be harmful to our happiness and growth, sometimes it makes those who experience it into better people. Howeve
Lyden Orbase
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Thank you Brandon!

I know children are clever enough to understand the profound ideas in this book.
This is also my story. So I'm careful with the words i give to children i encounter.
Jessica Camacho
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

I loved how the words/seeds were planted and grown — this is a good story for teaching the power of words and how we nurture our thoughts, and how to release/let go of hurt in order to make room for all the good/green trees.
Tiffany Peppers
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!

Wow! What a story! It teaches you to love yourself and ignore that negativity that makes you loathe your inner being. The illustrations are spot on. This is a good read for all ages.
Amanda Williams
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book with stunning illustrations. A really nice moral lesson to be learned here about nurturing and being careful how your actions affect others. Terrific work and would be happy to read more by this author.
John Greenwood
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely Story

A really beautifully illustrated book with such a good and simple message at its heart. This is a great way to open the conversation with children, about how they can impact on the world and people around them.
Angelica Jajeh
2018. Traditional Literature picture book. This book depicts how words affect the world and the people around you. AMAZING ILLUSTRATIONS! This book would be good from k-5 and it is a powerful lesson that all children should be aware of.
Bethany Cousins
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seeds and Trees is a beautiful and necessary piece of literature. Not to be limited to a younger audience, the storytelling is poetic and wise, and the illustrations are absolutely whimsical.
NayDoubleU
3.5
I loved the illustrations in the book and the message behind it seems great but i dont think it was executed greatly. i wouldnt mind having this book in my classroom
Debbie
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful🌷

I loved the message of this story. The illustrations were lovely, too. This is a wonderful book for children of any age, including our own inner child, too. 🌱🌷✨
Kathryn Hurchla
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Poetic

He tossed away the bad seeds. My 6 year old liked this story. I liked that his friend the girl was very strong.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »