Start by marking “Initializing (Somnia Online #1)” as Want to Read:
Initializing (Somnia Online #1)

Initializing

(Somnia Online #1)

Discover the class you were born to play.

Wren, a seasoned healer, is dismayed when Somnia Online automatically assigns her character, Murmur, to the Enchanter class. Determined to overcome the unexpected setback, she assembles her guild, intent on the coveted #1 spot. Twelve keys stand between her and victory, but finding them is only part of the puzzle.

Armed with telepath
Published May 15th 2018 by Amaranthine Press

To ask other readers questions about Initializing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Initializing

Sinisa Mikasinovic
I'm not sure how to start. Probably by defending yet another 5-star rating, after I said I won't do it again lightly 😂

Essentially, I stopped giving 5* ratings to just about everything that amused me. It beats the entire point of the rating system. And, also, not everything deserves five stars. You can like a book very much and still rate it 4. True story 😎

Remember Solo? I was really biased there. But for the other people who were, too, it turned out to be the same. Wow, such a shocker, right? 😆
J.C.
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story wrapped around the gameplay here. It would help if I had played an MMO in the last few years, but the last MMO addiction I had was the amazing City of Heroes, may it lag in peace, and stats management was never a big deal for that game. That said, while I found some of that boring, the core story is one that I enjoyed, with layer after layer of mystery unraveling. And while the twists were ones I thought I saw coming, not everything was as expected--in fact, the reveal I thought we w ...more
Jami
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I will admit, I'm a bit biased on this one, and it has nothing to do with reading an ARC. I've been on a bit of a gamelit binge, since KT discovered it and told me about it. When she decided to write one, I was like... Oooh, yes please! And she didn't disappoint. Great action, relatable characters, and an underlying mystery that isn't solved in this one, but can grow throughout the series. I really like Mummur/Wren. She's the kind of person I'd love to hang out with-Smart, loyal, but taking no o ...more
M. Andrew Patterson
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, ya
If I had to compare this book, I would say the closest would be Tad Williams' Otherland series or Clines' Ready Player One. Both have fantastical worlds that are more than they seem. What separates this from Williams is that KT adds the depth of making it feel like a true MMO instead of focusing only on the world. With beautiful and deadly landscapes, intrigue, and NPCs that are a little too real, Hanna brings to life a truly wondrous, and digital world that will truly blow your mind. I've read ...more
Dianna
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Initializing (Somnia Online # 1) by K. T. Hanna is about a video game involving full immersion using a headset, virtual reality to the next level. You create your character, enter the game world, and feel like you are actually living there. Wren or Murmur while online is a high achiever, and with her group of friends plans to master the game, and try to be the first winners. They are excited for the challenge, and capable from the many years of playing other games together.
The book takes place i
Cmoore
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't know anything about this book other, than that I've enjoyed other Lit-RPG books in the past, and that I know Andrea Parsneau is a fantastic narrator!
Currently I am at a point where I start a Lit-RPG with some trepidation. I've enjoyed them, but... well, isn't the trope kinda' played out? The answer, after listening to this book, is a resounding NO! I loved this vrmmorpg book! I just checked, and I see that the sequel has just been released in eBook, so now, at least I can continu
Wolkenfels
Wren starts into a fantasy MMORPG that is steered by three sentient Ais. Wrens mother ist the lead developer of the game. She plays with her best friend and some people of her old guild from another game.
Lots of mystery, lots of vague hints and a lot of tension. For my personal taste a bit too much detailled fight descriptions.
Maybe this book deserves more than 3 stars but i keep this GR ratings for me to keep track of my reads and how I liked them.
And the reason for 3 and not 4 stars is, tha
Quinton Roberts
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
To start off, I really enjoyed reading this book, and would highly recommend to others looking for something new to read in this genre. This was my first introduction to LitRPG, and it's made me want to continue reading not only this series, but also other LitRPG titles! It took a bit for me to get used to the (genre) writing style, but once I became accustomed to it, I couldn't put it down.

Initializing is the first book in the Somnia Online series. It follows its main character Wren as she begi
Robert
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Too much vague overly emotional drama

This book was trying to be mysterious and all it ended up being was irritating. I didn't care if the MC survived or not. In fact by the end I was rooting for the mindless 'bad guy' who irrationally hated her.

Suspension of belief should not require suspension of thought, but that is what is required to get through this book.

Add in the stupid flashbacks at the beginning of each chapter, missing words in sentences and unrealistic reactions of every single charac
Liam J
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Decent litrpg. Isn't friendly to people new to the genre, as it doesn't explain terms like kiting, line of sight, pulling, but uses them frequently. It was fairly entertaining but I did not find it as engaging as I would have liked.
Craig Willis
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable start of a new litrpg series.

Certainly worth a read if you are a fan of litrpgs. There is a lot going on in the world, and some interesting characters. A good way of dropping hints to the reader without them being obvious, allows you to guess at what is really happening throughout the book.
Richin109
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

Really enjoyed reading this book. Cannot wait for the next book. Going to read it after I finish this review. Well written and does not lose the story when explaining the game mechanics.
Alastar
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

I really enjoyed this story, I can totally relate to the main character of Wren \ murmur. I even share some of her outlooks. I would do totally role a Locus but would also be torn between the Feles. I will so totaly be reading the next one.
Brat
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Initializing is the first in a series (according to the author) of a book based in the gameworld Somnia Online. Somnia is an MMORPG where the gameworld is controlled by 3 main AI personas. The characters are portrayed in such a manner that anyone can find a player to relate to. The fights are detailed, but not so detailed as to get bogged down in minutae.

Somnia is almost a character in its own right. Descriptions of the gameworld are vivid and make the reader feel like they would like to play i
Lunan
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's good, and worth a read if you like the genre. It avoids a lot of the needless explaining of game terms that other books have, and just dives into it. Good characters, good-ish plot, and relatively good combat scenes.

I have a small problem with how some of the game elements are, but all in all they are minor things. More interesting to me is how the author seems to have a cleanliness issue... They bathe twice a day even though all they do is lie on a bed, and they still feel like they really
Matthew
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very fun read

This was just a fun read. It had mystery, great game interaction and very good character development. The back and forth of the years before launch and the mc’s story was interesting and added a depth and complexity that I really enjoyed. I will be getting the next books in the series. I also listen to the audiobook and the narrator Andrea Parsneau did a great job of bringing the characters to life. The different voices were great and I thought she did a very good male voice which c
Dark Ape
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
My only semi-complaint is that all the mind-messing-stuff going on with Murmur was messing with my own head as I read, so I had trouble continue reading as I would put it down each night - as I like reading mostly before bed. Serious head trip, but at least two of my mad-scientist theories panned out, though it seems I missed the twist on the the WHEN mentioned in the epilogue. (If you can't stand that, you'll seriously be annoyed while reading. Ha ha ha~)
Jonathan
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story

I was enchanted by the story and loved the twists. The only stumbling block I had was the periodic PC gender pronoun use - a plural pronoun “they, their” for a singular entity “he/she, his/hers”. This caused a stumbling in the flow of the narrative as the reader has to figure out that the author is referencing a character’s preferred gender pronoun without a lead in.
Justinelliss
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very well crafted fun

While not perfect, Hanna has created a fun world for her characters to play in. I enjoyed the growth that Wren went through throughout the novel. Although I thought that there were some things that were too easy, the twist at the end made much of the journey worth thinking about again. Looking forward to the series.
Ty
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

I really enjoyed this! The characters are wonderful and they interact I'm ways that are realistic, rather than far fetched ideas that make readers cringe. I liked the mystery inherent in the story, how everything links together. If you enjoy fantasy, science fiction, and, or, litrpg... Well... Read this!
Snow
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Solid writing and compelling plot.

One of the best books I've read in the genre. The plot is solid and there are enough strands weaving around to keep you guessing. When you find the plot twist you realise how well it has been foreshadowed in the build up chapters. Very impressed.
Elusive
What an amazing new series I found myself hooked from the 1st page it was just written in such an interesting and different way. This one lands in my top 5 Litrpg of the year. It really sucks you in and keeps you hooked and when it ends you'll want more. Found it fascinating how different Murmurs gaming experience seem to be compared to others.
Forrest G Williamson
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable

Pretty good story, decent mystery involved, but the mystery is a bit easy to guess (in general. I got the wrong answer, but the basic idea). Looking forward to the next book.
Brandy Reeves
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent!!!

I couldn’t put the book down. The story was intriguing all the way through. The unveiling of the mystery woven throughout the book at the end was very powerful. I can’t wait until the second book comes out. How will Murmur handle her new knowledge?
Avery
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LitRPG at its finest!

Pretty good first book in this series, with a very likeable main character. It's fairly predictable but the writing is more than good enough to carry you on a very enjoyable journey..
Dave Willmarth
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love the gaming elements

If you’re a gamer, you’ll love this as much as I did. I found myself chuckling out loud at several points through the book. The noob zone antics and group dynamics had me feeling like I was playing along with my own guild.
Steven
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am thinking this is more of a 3.5. It was ok but just a little meh. I was thinking the author could have played up the conflict a bit more between murmur and jirald.
Connor
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am not a gamer, but was impressed at the imaginative plot and RPG elements.
Katie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Holy Crap!

This was awesome! Totally blew my mind... and that ending...! Wow!!! I don’t even care how late it is, I NEED to start the next one!!
Noelle and Afroz Kokan
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow

I read a lot of little bit this just blew me away. I'm anxiously awaiting the next novel. Fascinating plot and character development is phenomenal!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Feedback: Other unrelated works showing as previous reads 6 45 May 06, 2018 08:23AM

• Radioactive Evolution
  • Cavern of Spirits (Stonehaven League #3)
  • Dominion of Blades (Dominion of Blades, #1)
  • The Old Races: Aftermath
  • Any Port in a Storm (Ayala Storme #2)
  • Citadel of the Sky (Thrones of the Firstborn #1)
  • Asleep From Day
  • No Man of Woman Born
  • War Aeternus: The Beginning (War Aeternus, #1)
  • Two (One Universe #2)
  • The Land of the Undying ( Dark Elf Chronicles Book One)
  • Upload (Save Point, #1)
  • The Station Core (Station Cores #1)
  • Thunderstruck
  • Summer Ruins (The Last Year, #4)
  • Witch Way to Turn
  • Odyssey (The Stork Tower, #2)
KT Hanna has a love for words so extreme, a single word can spark entire worlds.

Born in Australia, she met her husband in a computer game, moved to the U.S.A. and went into culture shock. Bonus? Not as many creatures specifically out to kill you.

When she’s not writing, she freelance edits for Chimera Editing, and chases her daughter, husband, corgi, and cat. No, she doesn’t sleep. She is entirely

Somnia Online (4 books)
  • Anomaly (Somnia Online, #2)
  • Fragments (Somnia Online Book 3)
  • Dissonance (Somnia Online Book 4)