Start by marking “Mr. Hotshot CEO (Kwan Sisters, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mr. Hotshot CEO (Kwan Sisters, #2)

Mr. Hotshot CEO

(Kwan Sisters #2)

As CEO of Fong Investments, I’m a busy man. In fact, my family claims I’m an obsessive workaholic, and when they force me to take two weeks off, I have no idea what to do with myself.

While brooding over an espresso, I meet Courtney Kwan, a biomedical researcher who savors the little things in life. And, suddenly, an idea strikes me—I will pay this woman to teach me how to
Published July 10th 2018 by Jackie Lau Books

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Hotshot CEO, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Hotshot CEO

Start your review of Mr. Hotshot CEO (Kwan Sisters, #2)
K.J. Charles
A mostly cheerful and feelgood contemporary romance where the heroine suffers from clinical depression. That's not an immediately obvious pairing but it really works. I can't speak to the treatment of depression because I'm not a sufferer, but it feels thoroughly real in all aspects, including her constant fear of its return and the irrationality of its attacks. All the same it isn't a downbeat read because Courtney is basically a person who loves and relishes life when she's not being sabotaged ...more
Maria Rose
Jackie Lau is a Canadian author writing diverse romantic comedy, something she definitely achieved in her first Kwan Sisters novel, Grumpy Fake Boyfriend. I thoroughly enjoyed that story about the romance that results when an introverted male science fiction writer does a friend’s sister a favor by playing her boyfriend for a beach weekend. In Mr. Hotshot CEO, the author turns her sights on another of the Kwan sisters, who ends up in an unusual situation with a handsome, very rich, workaholic ...more
Jess
The_Book_Queen
4 1/2 STARS!

CW: Depression, talk of suicide

Dual 1st POV

STEM heroine (biomedical researcher)

CEO (financing)

He hires her to teach him how to have fun - temporary roommates!

Fun, charming and sexy + emotional and relatable

I loved the Julian wanted to help her and care for her and understood that he couldn't fix her depression -- which, yes, made him upset at one point, but even then he kept his head out of his ass enough to still realize that this is her battle to fight and she knows
Lisa
Also on Romances Ever After.

Mr. Hotshot CEO is my first Jackie Lau book and oh my god, why is it so hard to review a book that you love? Jackie's writing is so easy to follow, the story flowed seamlessly... I have no idea what to say about this book because I love it too much. It pains me that I can't put my feelings into words and do this book justice but I shall try in this post.

I was pretty much charmed with Julian Fong from the start. He's different from the CEO heroes I've read about--he
Lexie
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I want to start this review by saying two things:

1) this is not as light hearted as GRUMPY FAKE BOYFRIEND. There are many cute fluffy moments, but it's core is about a woman struggling with clinical depression and her learning to accept it doesn't mean being alone.

2) This book was HARD for me to read at times. I've never been diagnosed with clinical depression - as part of my general anxiety diagnosis and my specific social anxiety diagnosis my therapist documented "depression episodes" directly
Kristiej
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Normally I wouldn’t touch a book with this kind of title as I’m much more of a blue collar type hero. But it wasn’t that long ago that I read the previous book in this series, Grumpy Fake Boyfriend and I was so charmed by it I wanted to keep reading this author. The heroine in this one, Courtney Kwan is the sister of the heroine in the first book and she, along with her boyfriend, play a role in this one.

Julien Fong is the CEO of a very successful investment company. He had taken over when his
natalie
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this one. I found myself laughing a lot with this one too. There were so many funny scenes whenever Julian's brother Vince was present. Loved the progression of Courtney and Julian's relationship.

While there were lots of scenes that made me chuckle the book does deal with the serious topic of Courtney's depression. There's no love curing depression in this, and after Julian screws up he does understand that Courtney's depression isn't something he can fix.

Also there's a lot of
Sofia (Bookish Wanderess)

*3,3 stars*

This was so boring and I think it wasn't the plot, it was the flat and repetitive writing style specially from one of the two perspectives. Also, the steamy scenes were always rushed through and the ending felt rushed.
Mariam
OH MY GOD!!! Jackie Lau hurts me so nicely thank u, Jackie! Julian and Courtney are so freaking adorable and their courtship and progression is so lovely to read.

Representation: Chinese heroine / Chinese hero!!!! Depressed heroine.
Tropes: overworked CEO, pretty woman but like,,,, no prostitution,,,
Darcy
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, romance, 2018
This one charmed me from page one. First off it was Julian with his uptight ways and crazy family. Then there was Courtney, who reveled in the simple pleasures of life. I loved that Julian hired Courtney to help him find fun and how Julian's family kept stopping by. You knew that lines would be crossed between Julian and Courtney and quite frankly I was cheering for it to happen. As it happened these two just got cuter.

When Courtney's issues popped up I wanted to help in any way that I could,
Alice Wilder
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Oh man, was this book ever great. A few things right off the bat--
-I'm always nervous about books that are written from the man's perspective, but this book alternates between Julian and Courtney, which I love.
-This book definitely has heat, but know going in that it's also about living with clinical depression.

I loooved this read. The premise is wild, but as soon as the flirtation started I was totally on board. It was also so lovely to see a woman like Courtney with mental illness have a
Katie
Does a book count as triggering if you skim the parts you're scared will trigger you? I am not rating it for that reason, but yeah. The way depression is described is well done.

I don't think I was ever totally convinced about either of their reasons for not being a relationship, but then--isn't Courtney's reason my reason for skimming the book?

Also, I want to remember this line:

Whenever I make a decision, I ask myself, “Is this good for my mental health?”

PS: Read Jess's review. She says smart
Ekaterine Xia
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
So you wanna love a CEO...? Sorry, I'm a bit giddy because this is the first time I've organically come across an Asian descent hero in an English-written romance novel.

That said, major part of the charm of this book is that Julian and Courtney are just people. Their ethnicity isn't made much of; it's not a major thing in the story. They just are, as people, and that's such a refreshing thing to see.

I really enjoyed Mr. Hotshot CEO - Courtney and Julian were funny, relatable, and it was a joy
Bonnie
Jun 16, 2019 added it
Perks of coming late to a book is not having to wait to read the second book! I think I liked this one better - there's more angst, which probably says something about me. But reading the heroine's struggle with depression in the first person POV was powerful.
Alison
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
So romantic with a nuanced view of depression!
Darbi Bradley
THIS WAS SO EXCELLENT
Amanda
4.5 stars, rounding up

I thought this book was even better than its tropetastic predecessor, Grumpy Fake Boyfriend. The protagonist of this book, Courtney, is the sister of Naomi from the first book, so she and Will make a few appearances.

Julian is a workaholic and CEO of an investment firm. His family basically forces him to take a 2-week vacation because they're worried about how much he works. He's initially very resistant to the idea. One night not too long after he's forced out of his
Fran
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Uhm, WONDERFUL! Cheered my pining, sleepless soul right up. ...more
Christine
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asian-character, arc
This book made me fall in love with Julian and Courtney ... and with Toronto's gorgeous food scene. I wanted to read this for the sheer pleasure of an Asian hero and Asian heroine whose relationship had nothing to do with their ethnic background. Food was what brought them together. The magic started with Courtney and Julian connecting over a gingerbread latte and soon lemon cherry sour cream gelato, soup dumplings, and pineapple buns made me long for a Toronto CEO to cook for me. Bring your ...more
Sha
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a color-coded highlighting system for my ebooks. Yellow is for funny stuff. Pink is for relationship-based (paltonic or romantic) aww-moments. Green is for information/things I need to look up. Blue is for other highlights I can't other to categorize because frankly they don't seem too important. And Red is for the things which make me feel emotional, but are not connected to relationships.

This book has a lot of red highlights. A lot. Mostly because one of the main characters is slowly
Tabs
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted at: http://goodbadandunread.com/2018/07/1...

When Julian Fong’s family forces him to take a two-week vacation and he fails spectacularly on only day two, he impulsively asks a woman in a coffee shop savoring her latte if she’ll teach him how to have fun. There are a metric ton of romance novels out there where a spirited young woman teaches a reluctant billionaire to loosen up. This book, however, subverts the usual execution with a pair of Chinese-Canadians in their
Jaymee Goh
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I chose this precisely because of the content warnings of depression and mental illness, because as someone with very similar brainweasels as our heroine, I wanted to know how it would all shake out for her. Also because the cover is great and I have sworn off romances with white protagonists, so that's been thin reading.

I got more than I bargained for! I thought the Fong family was extremely well-adjusted and happy for a wealthy family, such made me somewhat sad to think of how I have come to
Lauren loves llamas
While I loved this book just as much as the previous one (and in some ways more), this isn’t as lighthearted as the first. Courtney has treatment-resistant depression, so a good chunk of the book is about her mental health, which was a bit triggering for me and I’m certain will be for many other people as well. It’s told from both main characters’ first-person POV, and while it’s the second in a series, it could easily be read as a standalone.

“This is what I want,” I say. “For you to spend the
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book came to me at a good time, one of those little gifts from the universe that the library queue knows when you need something. I'm in the middle of a depressive episode, which for me usually last about 2-3 weeks at a time, and a book about a woman with depressive episodes who deserves love and compassion and support really comforted me.

The book format jumps between the hero and heroine, same as the first one, but it worked better for me, it took a few chapters for me to be able to
Anna Richland
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-challenge
I loved this even more than Grumpy Fake Boyfriend! SO MUCH CUTE DIALOG. If you are a sucker for cute dialog, this delivers. I started it at the gym this morning and then blew the whole day finishing it instead of pretty much everything else on my list.

I never thought a romance that made me feel so good could also give me such a deeper understanding of living with depression, especially depression that doesn't respond to standard (or any) treatments. After reading this, I am really hoping that I
Beth ~ Panda & Boodle
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“I will not let you buy me a phallic cactus named Joey.”
Well, there’s a sentence I never thought I’d say in my life.

There are many memorable, funny moments in Jackie Lau’s Mr. Hotshot CEO—even if not all of them include a phallic cactus. There are also many aching moments—as Ms. Lau touches on what are, for me, some deeply personal topics.

It’s those moments I want to focus on. Because although there are lots of light-hearted smiles to be had with Courtney and Julian, and their families
Jackie
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
An amusing scene opens this short (category-length) rom-com contemporary: Julian Fong is forced to take two weeks off from his position as the hotshot CEO of his family's Toronto investment company—by his mother, grandmother, and amusingly dissolute brother, who all threaten him with embarrassing consequences if he doesn't agree not to come in to work for a full 17 days. Julian's always been the good son, meeting parental expectations, living up to his responsibilities, especially after his ...more
Phoenix
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diverse_romance
I don't normally want to read contemporary romances with alpha-male-CEO-type heroes but I made an exception for this one because I was intrigued by the fact that the heroine, Courtney, suffers from cyclical, treatment-resistant depression and that this plays a large part in the plot of the book.

My hat is off to Ms. Lau. I have suffered serious depressive episodes in my life--fortunately for me, NOT treatment-resistant--and I read a lot of this book while nodding my head. It can be difficult to
« previous 1 3 next »

• Tikka Chance on Me
  • Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6)
  • Xeni (Loose Ends #2)
  • Playing House (Uptown, #1)
  • Rafe: A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1)
  • That Kind of Guy (Ravenswood, #3)
  • Damaged Goods (Ravenswood, #1.5)
  • Untouchable (Ravenswood #2)
  • A Prince on Paper (Reluctant Royals, #3)
  • Once Ghosted, Twice Shy (Reluctant Royals, #2.5)
  • Teach Me (There's Something About Marysburg, #1)
  • The Austen Playbook (London Celebrities, #4)
  • The Rat-Catcher's Daughter (Lilywhite Boys, #0.5)
  • Mating the Huntress
  • Open House (Uptown, #2)
  • Pretending He's Mine (Love on Cue, #2)
  • American Fairytale (Dreamers, #2)
  • A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2)
Jackie Lau decided she wanted to be a writer when she was in grade two, sometime between writing “The Heart That Got Lost” and “The Land of Shapes.” She later studied engineering and worked as a geophysicist before turning to writing romance novels.

Jackie lives in Toronto with her husband, and despite living in Canada her whole life, she hates winter. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking,

Kwan Sisters (2 books)
  • Grumpy Fake Boyfriend (Kwan Sisters, #1)