Start by marking “The Caller” as Want to Read:
The Caller

The Caller

Leslie Calloway is a twenty-eight-year-old volunteer at a 1-800 line, designed as a call center for children whose parents are out of the house. One snowy New England night, she receives a panicked phone call from a young boy named Justin. He says, "There's a man in my house," and Leslie is the only person who can save him.

Armed with only a handheld receiver, Leslie must

Published May 5th 2015 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about The Caller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Caller

Start your review of The Caller
Aj the Ravenous Reader

First and foremost, let me just report to you a phenomenon. I WON THIS BOOK! I WON THIS BOOK!

I joined a giveaway for this book and the kind and awesome author picked me as one of the lucky winners of a physical copy of the book delivered right at my doorstep. I’ve never had much luck in these things until now, so really, thank you so much, Mr. Dan Krzyzkowski.I won’t even attempt pronouncing your last name, but thank you! :)

Now onto the review.

I joined the giveaway contest for the book for a
Rachel Maniacup
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Rachel by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
After reading the Mara Dyer series and after watching the movie of one of my favorite actors,John Cusack's CELL, I'd never thought I'd plunged into yet,another heart-pounding,gripping story! But as I've started reading this,I am once again hooked from the first page 'til the last,bracing myself for the suspense that's sure to happen in this book which you can read less than 3 hours!

This is a story of a 28 year old female volunteer at a 1-800 line,designed as a call center for children whose
Brenda A
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shelf-awareness
This is a quick and fun read. It's fast; you can probably finish it in one sitting if you've got some time. I had to work a full day and I still pretty much finished this almost in one day.

I think probably my favorite part (which is weird considering it's fast-paced) is that it takes place in 1994. No cellphones, no internet, no satellites with constant connection to the outside world. A lonely boy is a lonely boy because he is stuck inside all day with nothing else to do. He's bored of playing
Michael David
I was engrossed in this book for the most part, but the ending had a lot to be desired. Super quick read (you could probably read it in 2 hours), but half of that is side story that may be interesting, and yet has nothing to do with the main plot.
Lady Delacour
The Caller is a TRUE
Suspense Story from
the Start, to the Finish.
4 Hand Clapping Stars.
Listened with TTS.
Cleanish.
Foul Language.
Christine
Leslie Calloway’s life did not necessarily follow the path she had anticipated, but all in all it was good. She felt fortunate so she wanted to give back in some way. Events in her past made volunteering at 1-800-FRIENDS, a call center for children whose parents are out of the house, a good fit. It’s a call center set up in the basement of church with outdated phone systems, a standing protocol not to call 911 (there had been some crank call issues in the past) and manned on a totally volunteer ...more
Monica
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fast read! It kept me at the edge of my seat and when I was interrupted and had to go about my day, I felt bad leaving the characters hanging.
Wendy Del Toro
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I found the plot of this book pretty boring - I didn't feel any tension or anxiety over Justin's predicament because the writing was so flat. If it were an audio book, I imagine it being read by a robot in monotone from a teleprompter. It lacked the requisite intensity. I didn't care about Pat because I didn't get to know him, or get a sense of his relationship with his mom. He was an abstract, a plot device only. I was also hoping for a dark twist, but I guess it was not that genre. The one ...more
Sherry M Ambrose
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lonely latching kid or scared 7- year old alone and with intruders in his house.

Leslie volunteers at a center where kids can call if they are home alone and scared or just lonely. As snow begins to fall, her next call is a young boy left home alone while his parents had gone out. His claim that intruders are in His house has Leslie on edge. She talks him through to several hiding spots looking toward an eventual escape. Will he find his way out before the bad men find him?
Elvira D Ryan
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Terrifyingly Real

I was frightened, worried,and hopeful.
I don’t know that I could handle a situation like this. Leslie is a strong character.
I had to put it down a couple of times because I could feel my blood pressure spiking.
A fairly short read, but I kept hoping it would end soon.
All in all, a very good book.
Lesa Tobiason beach
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put it down

The writing is good, included bits of information that are interesting. Storyline is suspenseful- I along for that ride as much as the characters. I had to know about that little boy.
Ron Bernt
Aug 31, 2019 rated it liked it
An uninteresting book

I was ready to quit reading this book but it improved after Chapter 6 and changed direction. I enjoyed all the information on birds. The rest of the book was okay but nothing spectacular.
Wulfwyn
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, owned, thriller
I was holding my breath so often while reading this! A few times I found myself with tears on my face. I was so drawn into the story. I read it in one sitting over night. It kept me on edge with a twist I didn’t see coming. I would recommend it.
Sharon
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved “The Call”

This was a great Story with a great plot. I’m surprised I haven’t read a story like this before. It kept me interested and I mostly read the book straight through. I’m definitely.cxdsgoing to check out the authors other books.
Ruth A Calvin
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this read. The story grabbed you from the very beginning and kept up the suspense. I never expected where Justin went when he left his house. What a total surprise!!! I recommend this if you want a thriller read!!
judy koepsell
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved it!

You always think that a book with such heart and feeling would not be loved as this one was. It touched a very tender place in my heart and reminded me that children's feelings are sometimes guarded but well worth finding out.
Janice Lombardo
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a MUST read - suspense from the start to the end!
Barbara Michaels
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Compelling

I don't really write reviews however this book kept me up all night with suspense and terror for this little boy . It was one of the best books I read in a while .
Mimi
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazon-deals
Fast one sitter. Thought the ending would be different- not so thrilling, more happy ever after. Meh.
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read. Good book. Loved the ending.
Caroline
I appreciated the premise of this story but parts didn't quite hang together and the ending felt too neat, contrived. That said I'm glad I picked this one up!
A. Hunt
May 13, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller Lovers
Recommended to A. by: Dan Krzyzkowski
The Caller, by Dan Krzyzkowski is an amazing, psychological thriller concerning Leslie Calloway, an 800 operator for a latchkey children's service. When she receives a call from Justin, a seven year older left home alone, she's pressed into a predicament that could turn into a matter of life and death. Justin says, "I think there's a man in my house."

The Caller is an awesome story. There's tension, fear for a child and a lot of mental issues going on. But man if it wasn't just way too long! To
Joseph
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Krzyzkowski sent me a copy of his book in exchange for an honest review. This was a great book if you want a quick read you can finish in one sitting. I cannot give it too much of a review due to spoilers, but it is a very good story with true to life characters. Good plot development with insights about the major character and why she acts as she does. I recommend this book. Great for a rainy night.
Joseph Carano
Mr.Krzyzkowski sent me a copy of his book in exchange for an honest review. I found the plot and story line to be very good. I would elaborate, but I do not want to give away any spoilers. Even though the story is a short one day read and is interesting, My personal opinion is that it dragged on quite a bit. Still a good book, I look forward to more from Mr. Krzyzkowski.
Denise Parkanyi
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book, fast read with twists and an ending that is a real thrill. Very good character development, you really feel like you know them. I have given it to friends and they have enjoyed it as well.
Ann
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dan Krzyzkowski's The Caller is very intense. Keeps the reader on the edge of the seat throughout most of the book. I was fortunate to win a copy of this story. I read this book in less than 24 hours. Just couldn't put it down, had to know what was going to happen! ...more
Anna Shepherd
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A excellent read

I read thru this book so fast . It grabs you when Lesley answer s Justin's call and hang on its a wild ride. Really
Runs thru every emotion you've got.
Kristin Jenkins
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a fairly quick read for me. I was hooked from the start!
Shirley McColl

• The Marriage Trap
  • Don't Ever Tell
  • His Secret Family: An absolutely emotional page turner
  • What She Saw
  • Her Deepest Fear (Rosemary Run, #1)
  • The Empty Nest
  • I Want You Gone
  • Familiar Strangers
  • On His Grave
  • Without a Trace
  • Murder Creek
I am a writer and a fisherman living in Hunterdon County, NJ. In addition to writing novels, I love discussing books (and storytelling in general) with others who love to read.