Start by marking “The Berlin Tunnel--A Cold War Thriller” as Want to Read:
The Berlin Tunnel--A Cold War Thriller

The Berlin Tunnel--A Cold War Thriller

"During the Cold War, a tunnel was built by British MI-6 and the CIA which tapped into a buried communications cable in East Berlin and successfully intercepted and exploited East European communist communications. The Berlin Tunnel is based on this historic event.
* * *
In the height of the Cold War, American Air Force Captain Robert Kerr finds himself in a divided Berlin a
Published October 1st 2018 by Acorn Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Berlin Tunnel--A Cold War Thriller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berlin Tunnel--A Cold War Thriller

Start your review of The Berlin Tunnel--A Cold War Thriller
 Bookoholiccafe
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, read-2018
The Berlin Tunnel, written by Roger L. Lilies. I first picked this book to review since the subject sounded very interesting, I had no idea it would be such a page turner. Robert Kerr is an engineer involved with the secret project of escape tunnels that were built under the Berlin wall during the Cold War.
He meets his wife while working on this project in Berlin. Yet he is not able to share anything with his wife for years. so, the entire book is the story he shares with his wife about this pr
Denise
Jan 03, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, read-2021
Looks like I read a different book from everyone else.
The premise of this Cold War thriller is quite fascinating. What if, after the exposure of the ambitious but doomed from the start CIA/MI6-built communications intercept tunnel into East Berlin in the mid-50s, a second attempt had been undertaken in 1960-61? The plot, involving a romance, spy antics, internal squabbles between the various parties invoved in the project, and a plot to spirit loved ones and their relatives out of the GDR after
Energy
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Berlin Tunnel instantly appealed to me because of the historical aspect of the book. It covers a time in the history of the world where people thought walls were the best way to keep people in their place, an ongoing struggle the world is dealing with even today.

We meet Robert, who is asked to head a project of building a tunnel to break into the communications tunnel that already exists. The project needs to be top secret as it's the second tunnel the US is planning to build, except this t
Eric
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining story. But the writing style (especially dialogue and emotional components) was a little too stilted and overboard for me. I just didn't accept that people would talk and think like that.
Some of the characters (especially Thomas Lane) did not appear realistic to me. I didn't believe he would have existed in the context of the time and storyline.
Julie Howard
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
This is a different book for me to listen to, as I tend to choose murder mystery books but I thought I would give it a go.
It started quite slowly but soon had me gripped as I wanted to find out what happened to Robert and Anna. Most of the story is told from Robert a American solider point of few with a few chapters from Anna's a German girl. The story was interesting enough to keep me listening until the end.
The story is about Robert and how he was hired to build a top secret under ground tunne
Texas
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Berlin Tunnel - This is my first read by this author and I enjoyed it immensely. For those of us who love Ludlum and this genre, this is a pleasant addition to the collection.

Well written and fast paced, the multiple storylines immerse the reader in the story until the end. The action and the historical aspects kept this fiction realistic and believable. The author's vivid and concise descriptions make the reader part of the story and the technical details easy to understand.

The characters
Ann Keeran
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is billed as a Cold War thriller but it is so much more! There is the love between family members threatened with the loss of rights and freedoms and even death. The enduring friendships created by men fighting and working together to make things happen. And the love between a man and a woman that binds them even when secrets must be kept. There is also the military side with secrecy, subterfuge and hostility. This is a fictional story that occurred during a black period of our history. Def ...more
Lori Austin
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this audio book in exchange for a honest review. What a fantastic first novel by Roger L. Liles a and narrated by Daniel F. Purcell. Like a rights a story that even not true with history you could believe that it happened. Purcell does a super job of differentiating the between the characters. Between the story line and Purcell both my husband and I could wait to listen to this audio book and would encourage others to listen. I know we will be looking forward to more books from this a ...more
Ray Cooke
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Berlin Tunnel. Superb it grabbed me in the first chapter and kept me turning pages.
Perhaps not what I would describe as a thriller more of a well crafted story which holds you to the end.
Narration is of a really high standard.
I believe that this is the authors first novel and look forward to more.
I highly recommend this book for anyone who likes espionage thrillers.
I received a free copy of this audio book at my own request and voluntarily leave this review.
Toula
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audio book review
This is a great story of what happened after World World 2. When Germany was divided into two . When Russian put a stop to the tunnel so people can connect. Was there a second tunnel to connect when there was a man and a women was on the other side of the tunnel.

The narrator was great. His performance of this historical story was great His voice is strong clear and steady
Daryl
Intelligence Operations at Its Best

A well-written novel of some exciting and scary times in recent history. The narrative brings to life what it was like to live her and under communist control. It also sheds light on so e of the Intelligence operations that went on during the Cold War before and during the Berlin Wall era. A truly good story everyone should read.
Paula Gaies
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept getting better

In the beginning I thought the words of the book were wooden and boring but the pace picked up as the author really proved himself with his well researched and believable prose. By the end, I couldn't put the book down until I found out the ending. Stick with the book. You will enjoy it.nun
JT
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great novel. Daniel did a great job with the narration and intrigue elements of this book. The story was well developed and the characters were varied such in personality that the entire piece works well. There is not a boring moment in this work. I will definitely be reading more of Roger L. Lilies writing.
Pat Eroh
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story and immediately became hooked on the story, especially since I know the truth in the story. This is a real page-turner and the action will pull you in and keep you reading to the end. I salute the author for such a great story and hope to see him use his talent again.

Lyman
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This was a good read but ended to quickly. Any reader with a penchant for WWII or post WWII espionage would find it engaging , especially those who lived through the Berlin crisis.
Conrad Samayoa
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating tale of the cold war

Characters caught up in the biggest political chess of all times and the utter failure of the Soviets to control by force diverse ideas. Protagos feel so real.
Gina Stamper
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such an authentic feel to this novel. Roger L. Liles words and the scenes in his book really felt like they were apart of the time.

Such engaging writing that I felt consumed by the words. A wonderful thriller that will leave you breathless!
Tanya
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The tunnel between East and West Germany can be used for so much. People, food, goods, arms and even spying. A fast paced and action packed read.
I received an advanced copy and I enjoyed it so much that I want to review
John J
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darn good

Almost quit early on. Subject was interesting enough to keep going. Since I’ve been to Berlin, could visualize the scenes well. Pace picked up in last half half and I read last third in one sitting. Recommend to anyone who has an interest in spy and Cold War events.
Jeannie Huie
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Somewhat interesting, but there really was just too much information given! The love story was quite good.
Quanita
I was surprised this was listed as a thriller, I found it to be a romantic diary of sorts. lots of historical info woven into the story.
Ehmma
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I appreciated the level of detail in this cracking read. An interesting premise that the author was able to execute with realism. I appreciated the interesting asides about East & West Berlin, too
Jean Barber
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excdllent

Top notch both as a thriller and. a good guide to history of its times. Sympathetic characters in believable situations.
Tammy Crompton
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great story. Kept me engaged through out the entire book.
Emery
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Karen Black
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend. A real historical thriller set in the politically charged time right after WWII. Realistically depicts the struggle of spy vs spy between East and West for the control of Europe.
Samuel
Aug 15, 2020
leif Mathiesen
Nov 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Messenger (Gabriel Allon, #6)
  • Black 13 (Scott Pearce, #1)
  • Playing with Fire
  • V2: A Novel of World War II
  • Death at Gallows Green (Kathryn Ardleigh, #2)
  • The Girl Behind the Gates
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • The Casebook of Inspector Drewes: A murder mystery box set
  • The Wimbledon Poisoner
  • Infinite
  • Aluminum Rain (The Watson Saga #1)
  • Mission in Time: An incredible time-travel journey
  • The Searchers
  • The Fall (Survival Of The Fittest #1)
  • When a Toy Dog Became a Wolf and the Moon Broke Curfew: A Memoir
  • The Boat Man (Reed & Billie, #1)
  • Enemies: A War Story
  • No Safe Place (Pandemic #3)
In the early 1960s, I earned a BA and did graduate studies in Modern European History. Then I was stationed in Turkey and German for five years as a Signals Intelligence Officer. Messages I generated and sent to Washington got President Johnson out of bed at least five times.
In 1970, I was awarded an MS in Engineering from USC. Then for almost forty years, I worked in military electronics—radar a