Start by marking “Every Stolen Breath” as Want to Read:

Every Stolen Breath

The Swarm is unrecognizable, untraceable, and unpredictable—random attacks on the streets of Chicago by a mob of crazed teens that leaves death in its wake. It’s been two years since the last attack, but Lia Finch has found clues that reveal the Swarm is ready to claim a new victim.

Published November 5th 2019 by Blink

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Nov 05, 2019
    Enter to win one of 10 copies—with a signed bookplate—of the book YA & Kids Book Central says is “original, engrossing, and full of suspense.” Thi ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 10 copies available, 983 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 10 - Dec 07, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Every Stolen Breath, please sign up.
    Meredith Rankin No. I just finished reading this book. As I read my copy on an e-reader, I could run searches for specific words and I searched for all the major…moreNo. I just finished reading this book. As I read my copy on an e-reader, I could run searches for specific words and I searched for all the major curse words. No f-word, s-word. One instance of "I'll be damned." Two or three times, someone says, "Oh God" (or a variation).

There's no explicit sexual content. Lia kisses a boy but that's about as far as it goes. I don't think anyone even mentions sex in the book. One character is gay; he doesn't mention having a boyfriend, though he makes a casual reference to "letting a hot guy cloud our judgment."

I don't read widely in YA fiction, but this book seemed fairly tame in these areas. I hope this helps! (less)

Start your review of Every Stolen Breath
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This is heart throbbing, riveting, fast-paced, incredible, mind-bending, surprisingly smart written, one of my favorite debuts of 2019! I’m so happy to announce we have new amazing author in the literary town. Let’s give a big applause for Kimberly Gabriel. This is not about generosity that I’m giving FIVE STARS because this book definitely deserved every each one of them.

Smart characterizations, thrilling twists, nail-biter action scenes wrapped up a soft romance and meaningful end
    Carrie
    Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    Every Stolen Breath by Kimberly Gabriel is a young adult thriller that is based on real events that took place in Chicago in 2011. Chicago really isn’t the only city with random acts of violence either as the idea behind this reminded me of news stories about gang initiations too so the entire book has a realistic creepy what if this happens vibe.

Lia Finch is the teenage daughter of one of the victims to a group only known as “the Swarm”. This organized group of teenagers is wanted f
    Sarah Pereira
    Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    From the moment I picked up Gabriel's debut YA thriller, I was completely immersed. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. I was absolutely hooked from the get-go; needing to know what would happen next. With its fast-paced plot and cast of complicated, well-developed characters, it's become a new favorite -- one of the best books I've read in a long time.

Well worth the read -- Every Stolen Breath will have you on the edge of your seat!
    Jacqueline Firkins
    Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I was lucky enough to receive an ARC for Every Stolen Breath and I dove right in! The story's fast, energetic, and keeps the reader turning pages with its sharp prose and chapter-ending cliffhangers. Gabriel brilliantly matches the pace of her main character's faulty breath with her sentence structure, proving a deft sense of how to subtly affect a read while also keeping the action on the page driving the story forward. As the protagonist gets breathless, so do we. Sentences shorten. Paragraphs ...more
    Jennifer Camiccia
    Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book is a rollercoaster ride of intrigue and terrifying action scenes! I love the MC, Lia, so much. She’s had to fight for her life since her first breath, and she’s tenacious and loyal. There are twists and turns—plus a love interest who is worthy of our brave Lia. Loved this book!! What a wonderful debut!
    Samantha Hastings
    Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Every Stolen Breath literally stole my breath away! From the first chapter there is nonstop action, danger, and mystery. Teens and adults alike will devour this book.

What I loved 🖤💛🖤💛:
    1. If you couldn’t already tell, I loved the title which hints at the heart-stopping pace of the plot but also symbolizes Lia’s asthma. From the time she was a premie baby, she has stolen every breath to be here.
    2. The swarm: a group of teens that beats people to death. They surround their prey like a swarm
    Set in modern-day Chicago, Every Stolen Breath is a fast-paced, YA thriller that readers are going to love. Lia, a teenager with asthma, PTSD, and anxiety, has been desperately trying to expose her father's killers for two years. Her father was attacked and murdered by the Swarm, an organized mob of crazy teens, famous for their brutal killings in high-profile areas, such as Navy Pier.

Lia cannot uncover the truth about her father's death by herself. While trying to overcome her own d
    Mason Thomas
    Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I was lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC of Every Stolen Breath. This debut novel was a complete surprise! It’s fast-paced and grips you from the very first chapter and doesn’t relent until the final scenes. Gabriel’s writing style is tight and clean, with no filler and no wasted words, and nothing getting in the way between you and the action. But the story is not only tense and exciting. It is filled with dynamic and diverse characters that leap off the page--especially Lia, who had me bit ...more
    Darcy
    Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book is one of those books that you just can’t stop reading. I was so excited to keep reading it because I needed to figure out what would happen to Lia. The plot twists are so creative and fit the book perfectly. While I was reading this book, I forgot about everything that was happening around me and instead felt like I was Lia. This storyline is so unique and engaging. There was never a part of the book where I skimmed the page instead of actually reading it, which is extremely rare for ...more
    Margie Fuston
    May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Wow. This book sucked me and then spit me out and left me thinking about it for days. Lia's an amazing main character--her struggle with grief and PTSD was so real that I got choked up several times while reading. AND THE ENDING!!!! I won't spoil anything, but it was incredibly satisfying, and I could not put it down.
    Malayna Evans
    Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    You're going to want to clear your calendar for this one. Once you crack it open, you won't want to stop until you get to the stunning conclusion. Everything about this book sings, from the strong but vulnerable main character, to the twisty-turny plot, to the setting that perfectly captures the spirit of Chicago. A brilliant debut!
    Jennifer Guyor Jowett
    Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Edgy. Gritty. Fast-paced. Unputdownable. This modern day thriller feels dystopian but grounds itself in contemporary YA. The plot twists and layered characters, along with a complex plot, will keep you thinking about this. It's been awhile since a book kept me reading well beyond my "bedtime," but this one definitely did.
    Sally Lehman
    Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Every Stolen Breath is a fast-paced, suspenseful read filled with plot twists and complex characters. I loved Lia-I felt fully immersed in her voice, and Gabriel’s secondary characters were just as rich in detail and depth. This is an exciting thriller that will entertain all. Very well done.
    Kara J McDowell
    May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Gabriel has crafted a thrilling, fast-paced narrative with twists and turns that left me genuinely shocked! I was never sure who to trust or what would happen next. EVERY STOLEN BREATH is a must read for fans of YA thrillers! I cannot wait to read whatever Gabriel writes next.
    Maddie
    May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    One of the best books I’ve ever read and I love all of the characters. I thought the plot was amazing and I couldn’t predict what was going to happen next and I couldn’t put it down!
    Tracy Cavanah
    Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Lia is the only one still pursuing her father’s killers, two years after attorney Steven Finch’s murder by the Swarm. Devastated and desperate for answers, Lia will do anything to uncover the reasons behind his death and to stop someone else from being struck down. But due to debilitating asthma and PTSD that leaves her with a tenuous hold on reality, Lia is the last person to mount a crusade on her own.

Thank you to net galley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to
    Ally
    Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This book was absolutely amazing. I finished it so quickly because I could not put it down. The descriptions throughout the book keep you tied in, putting a clear image in your head. Twists and turns are everywhere and there are things you would never expect. This is definitely a 5 star book and it’s definitely worth reading.
    Shkolnikjx
    Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book was excellent! Totally kept my attention and I wanted to find out what would become of the main characters. Highly reccomended.
    Jackie Lehman
    Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I received an early ARC of EVERY STOLEN BREATH from the publisher.

When I first started reading, I was hooked in the first chapter with Gabriel’s intense, fast-paced opening scene. From there, the further I got into the story, the harder it was to put down. I loved the plot and the mystery, but what kept me turning the pages were the characters. All of them, including the secondary characters, were so well written. I loved Lia—who’s both flawed and heroic, and I really loved her relationship wit
    Crystal Smith
    Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A smart and indomitable young woman takes up investigating the dangerous conspiracy that got her father murdered. A must read for every fan of Veronica Mars!
    Clare O'Connor
    Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I was really looking forward to reading Kimberly Gabriel’s debut novel.

It did NOT disappoint!

In fact, it had me turning pages well into the night and reaching for it at every opportunity.

The story follows teenager Lia Finch as she puts everything on the line in order to pull her father’s killers out from the shadows. Despite struggling with the loss of her father and some health challenges, Lia is determined to do what it takes to outsmart the Death Mob. She is smart and focused. She's also n
    PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
    ***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of EVERY STOLEN BREATH by Kimberly Gabriel in exchange for my honest review.***

3.5 STARS

Lia is out to catch her father’s murders, a teen gang that her dad believed to be fueled by higher ups in the city. The Swarm surround victims and best them to death. Aside from her two best friends, she’s not sure whom to trust. The mayor’s son Cullen seems to want to protect her, but he’s a bit of a jerk. Ryan, part of The Swarm, clai
    Marge Forbush
    Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Can't wait to read this book!
    Bradley T
    Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    This premise sounds outstanding. Can't wait to read it.
    Angelica Haney
    Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Holy crap Batman this book was amazing! This is one heck of a debut novel! Definitely looking forward to Kimberly Gabriel’s future works.

Lia Finch lives in a Chicago that is plagued by The Swarm a mob of crazed teens that target and kill people. After her dad is attacked and killed by The Swarm Lia spends her time investigating the attacks to find out what’s really going on and bring justice to her family and the families of the other victims. This book picks up 2 years after the last Swarm att
    Nikki Barthelmess
    Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Five stars to EVERY STOLEN BREATH, an intriguing, fast-paced thriller that kept me turning the page eager to find out what happened next! Kimberly Gabriel is an author to watch!

*Thank you to the publisher and author for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
    Rebecca Allen
    Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: reviewed-books
    Every Stolen Breath begins with a compelling concept based on real-life “flash mob” violence that took place in Chicago. The story is propelled forward equally by character and action.

Having lived in Chicago for 7 years, I loved the reminders of the city’s fun tourist spots and architectural treasures. The descriptions brought me right back. As a fan of thrillers, I found the action scenes fast-paced and gripping.

But what really pulls the reader into the story is Lia, a teen girl struggling with bot
    Jill Culler
    Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Kimberly Gabriel’s debut novel, Every Stolen Breath, takes your breath away at every turn. From beginning to end, it is packed with action and suspense that is sure to draw even the most reluctant reader in. Gabriel delivers in every way!
    Rae
    Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: bt-e-book, 2019, arc, fiction
    Every Stolen Breath by Kimberly Gabriel is a book about the Swarm, a crazy mob of teenagers who leave chaos and death in their wake.

Lia is an ordinary girl with deficient lungs, an insatiable curiosity, and an intense desire for justice. Her father was killed by the Swarm. The enraged group of teenagers targeted her lawyer father, brutally murdering him and leaving few clues in their wake.

Lia is not one to be deterred. She’s after justice and plans to uncloak the Swarm an
    Jennifer H.
    Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: arc-netgalley
    Thank you to Netgalley and Blink Publishing! I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Based on the very real flash mob gang violence of Chicago, Every Stolen Breath is an adrenaline filled, race against the clock, absolute page turner! The kind of story where you never really know who or what to trust. The kind of story that messes with the mind and puts you on guard (and on edge) along with its characters. The kind of story you dev
    « previous 1 3 next »

• The Memory Thief
    • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
    • What Happened That Night
    • Love, Heather
    • Tiger Queen
    • The Dead Girls Club
    • The Lady Rogue
    • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
    • Jane Anonymous
    • Good Girls Lie
    • Don't Say a Word
    Kimberly Gabriel is an English teacher who writes every chance she gets and struggles with laundry avoidance issues. When she’s not teaching or writing, she’s enjoying life with her husband, her three beautiful children, and a seriously beautiful boxer in the northern suburbs of Chicago.