Start by marking “Say Her Name” as Want to Read:
Say Her Name

Say Her Name

Say her name and solemnly vow

Never to forget, or allow

Our sisters’ lives to be erased;

Their presence cannot be replaced.

This senseless slaughter must stop now.

Award-winning author Zetta Elliott engages poets from the past two centuries to create a chorus of voices celebrating the creativity, resilience, and courage of Black women and girls. Inspired by the #SayHerName
Published January 14th 2020 by Disney Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Say Her Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Say Her Name

Start your review of Say Her Name
Laurie Anderson
In Zetta's words, this book is "black girl magic meets Black Lives Matter." Powerful poetry that acknowledges the poets of earlier generations in a way that is both accessible and enlightening. Perfect for classrooms and next to your cozy chair.
Sacha
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC! Review to post in January...!

Updated on 1/14/20:

This is a fantastic collection of poems, and I love the variety of personas, characters, subjects, inter-textual aspects, themes, and global considerations. The attention to tone and placement is masterful, and the voices are authentic, developed, and individualized.

I will absolutely be teaching these works in the Young Adult section of my Children's Literature course.

The notes section will be
Alyssa
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of haikus written for us by us is an amazing way to celebrate black girl magic. This book showcases the diversity of what it means to be a black woman. It features classics like Audre Lorde’s “A Woman Speaks” and Lucille Clifton’s “Won’t You Celebrate with Me” as well as modern haikus featuring topics that affect black women today.

When I read this book I am reminded of the line in F.U.B.U. by Solange that reads, “Don't feel bad if you can't sing along, just be glad you got the
Julie
This was such a gorgeous collection, the writing and the art. I loved every page.
Alice
Very though-provoking (not rating because I had an advanced reader's copy not finished product)
Jozef Syndicate
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's a saying that you should be the adult for a child/teen that you needed in your life. In the literary realm, Zetta Elliott's "Say Her Name" embodies that. It is the collection of poetic truth delivered with genuine emotions of racial obligation, laughter, error, fear, responsibility, pride and steadfast respect that we needed to read, memorize, and absorb then in our youth and now.

In the introduction, Elliott writes a statement from the Combahee River Collection (1977) that she finds
Kristen
Dec 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, poetry
Netgalley provided me a DRC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This was a beautiful, powerful collections of poems--many inspired by the work of powerhouse African American women like Gwendolyn Brooks, Lucille Clifton, Nikki Giovanni, and many more. Elliott samples some of the most powerful lines from hard-hitting pieces and weaves them into something all her own.

Touching on subjects of police brutality, the specific oppression of African American women, sexual assault, racial
Amber
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Thank you to NetGalley, Disney Book Group, and Zetta Elliot for a digital ARC of this book.)

Oh, my heart! Say Her Name is truly one of the most stunning collections of poems I’ve ever read. It is equal parts inspiring, uplifting, and heartwrenching.
I read this book three times in one night, trying to figure out which poem was my favorite (I couldn’t pick just one, FYI). I felt like each poem was written with me in mind. It was like Zetta Elliott could see me - my fears, my hopes, my strengths.
Mary Bronson
I thought this was such a great collection of poems from young ladies. I think this is very important for people to read and let their voice ring and tell their stories and stories of others. Some poems I liked were, "Free Them All", "Ascension", "Say Her Name", "Sacred", Mermaids", "Panther", Lullaby", and "Black Girl Miracle". Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to read an ARC of it early. This book comes out Jan 14 2020. I want a physical copy because the art work from the cover make the ...more
Monica Shastri
A poetry collection where every haiku drips with feminism, racial injustice, gender discrimination and women pride. The poems are contemporary and presented in a way that is relevant, accessible and enlightening. Each poem is unique and I can't pick just one favorite.
However, a few lines stood out prominently and left me feeling something.. Something that agreed and felt the pain. One of them being - "My halo is not your to regulate"
Jennice
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of poetry but I really like this book because it drew from other poets both past and present and reminded us of all th brutality of Black me and women jn the last 10 years or so. However it wasnt overly sad and gave hope also by reminding Black women and girls of their power and magic. I really like the references to other poets like Angelou,Wheatley and Hughes as well as music by Nina Simone, and James Brown. It was very Black and I enjoyed it very much.
Julie Wasmund Hoffman
I received an Advance Reader Copy in November and I have read it it cover-to-cover three times. I love everything about this book. Zetta speaks truth, names pain, calls to action, and instills hope. Pre-order the book!
Elisabeth
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The poems were inspiring. I enjoyed the notes section that gave the background inspiration for many of the poems. I will pass this along to my students!
Mrs. Krajewski
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous poetry that will empower the young minds that read it. Book talking this one!
Soc Page
tween poetry with blurbs on why each poem was written. meant to empower.
Fantasy__reader
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first ARC for 2020 and I really enjoyed it. It was also really taught provoking. I will post my review on January. Just to mention I didn't get the finished copy so the art is to come.
Monet
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this beautiful book! I devoured it in a day. It's empowering, original and unique. You can interpret it almost any way, as a feminist text, as a new poetry style, as a political agenda. It's reminiscent of Rupi Kaur's writing so that's lovely. Some of my favorite poems in the book were: "For My People," "Mermaids," "Mic Check," "The Crown," "Anansi," "Women Like Us" and "Sonnet for Ida." The format looks scary at first, but the poems are worth it! It's a strange combination of Kaur and E.E. ...more
Glenda

• Look Both Ways
  • Light It Up
  • Full Disclosure
  • We Used To Be Friends
  • Amazons, Abolitionists, and Activists: A Graphic History of Women's Fight for Their Rights
  • Redwood and Ponytail
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • They Call Me Güero: A Border Kid's Poems
  • Pet
  • Five ​Dark Fates (Three Dark Crowns, #4)
  • The Doll Factory
I’m a Black feminist writer of poetry, plays, essays, novels, and stories for children. I was born and raised in Canada, but have lived in the US for 20 years. I earned my PhD in American Studies from NYU in 2003; I have taught at Ohio University, Louisiana State University, Mount Holyoke College, Hunter College, Bard High School Early College, and Borough of Manhattan Community College. My poetry ...more