Start by marking “Playing for Keeps (Heartbreaker Bay, #7)” as Want to Read:
Playing for Keeps (Heartbreaker Bay, #7)

Playing for Keeps

(Heartbreaker Bay #7)

If you’re planning on falling in love…

When it comes to the confident, charismatic Caleb Parker, Sadie Lane feels the spark—the kind that comes from rubbing each other the wrong way. She’s a tattoo artist, he’s a straight-laced mogul. But after they accidentally co-rescue an abandoned dog from a storm, Sadie sees a vulnerable side to the seemingly invincible hottie.

you’d
Published January 22nd 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Playing for Keeps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Playing for Keeps

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
Playing for Keeps is book seven in the Heartbreaker Bay series by Jill Shalvis. Wow, Jill did it again with this one. I was in love in the first chapter. Not only did I fall in love with these two main characters, but also, I fell head over heels in love with this little dog.

Mercedes Alyssa Lane, otherwise known as Sadie Lane is a struggling tattoo artist. To make ends meet, she also has to work at a day spa, so twelve hour days are her norm. She works in the Pacific Pier Building and has known
Mads
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cr, hot

My Friends reviews explaining my thoughts exactly!!!!

Carol Review

Julie Review

If you’re planning on falling in love…

When it comes to the confident, charismatic Caleb Parker, Sadie Lane feels the spark—the kind that comes from rubbing each other the wrong way. She’s yoga pants, he’s a suit. She’s a tattoo artist, he’s a straight-laced mogul. But after they accidentally co-rescue an abandoned dog from a storm, Sadie se
Julie
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Playing for Keeps by Jill Shalvis is a 2019 Avon Publication.

I’m always happy to return to the Heartbreaker Bay series. So far, each chapter in the series has been a little whimsical and maybe a bit quirky. This book begins with a similar tone as the other books in the series, with Sadie and Caleb adopting an adorable dog named ‘Lollipop’ and becoming co- pet parents.

However, Sadie and Caleb are complete opposites. Their attraction to each other is like mixing oil and water. Caleb has dealt w
DJ Sakata
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Quotes:

Sadie listened with half her brain, the other half wandering off.

Sometimes life really bit a girl on the ass. Thankfully she had enough padding there to take the hit.

“So she can be bribed.” “You just fed her a fortune in fancy cuts of meats and cheeses,” she said. “Anyone could’ve been bribed with that. Hell, I’d have jumped into a stranger-danger van for that.”

“She dumped me. Twice. Women should come with instructions.” “What would be the point of that?” Sadie asked. “I’ve never
Stacey is Sassy
****IT'S ALIVE!!!****

He wasn’t just a billionaire in a suit

When it comes to love, I have been known to be a little insecure at times. For years I saw my hubby with rose-coloured glasses. To me, he’s handsome, smart, caring and sweet. I thought every woman in the world would want him for their own. We’re so different, he is sporty and doesn’t read (WEIRD!!) and survives with little to no sleep. Finally, after 21 years of marriage, the rose-coloured glasses have a few smudges on them. He’s still
MELISSA *Mel Reader*
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
4.5 ”Follow Your Heart” Stars!
(ARC provided by Social Butterfly PR)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Caleb Parker is a confident, charming, charismatic gorgeous man living in San Francisco. He's a hugely successful, well known venture capitalist who seems to have the midas touch in business. He's driven when it comes to his career, but never has put much effort into his personal life. He doesn't date much or do relationships. Then one evening he rescues an abandoned dog with a beautiful woman named Sadie Lane, and everything ch
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc

READ MY REVIEW ON THE BLOG

Jill Shalvis is hands down one of my top favorites and PLAYING FOR KEEPS is just another reason why I love her so much. She always puts a serious note into her books although they seem light-hearted with Jill's sense of humor generously sprinkled between the pages. And those themes make me think. Seriously think.

Sadie is the square block that wanted to fit into a round hole when she was a teenager. She didn't fit. Not with her family. Not with her friends. Then she sto
Sabrina
Amazon US * Amazon UK

Playing for Keeps brings readers back to Heartbreaker Bay with Sadie Lane and Caleb Parker. Sadie is struggling to make ends meet while Caleb is a successful businessman, but you know what they say about opposites - they attract. In the case, Sadie and Caleb attract a whole lot of sexual tension hidden under a bunch bickering encounters.

I have to say, if I wasn't already a fan of this series I definitely would be now. I just adored this couple and I loved seeing how all of
Beth
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes life circumstances and/or an abused drive people apart but utterly adorable puppy with three legs, can bring a two unlikely people together. In Playing for Keeps, Shalvis pens a strong family dynamic that intrudes, aggravates and strongly supports the bonds that form between the reader and the connection to the characters.

In the end, Playing For Keeps completely sucked me. I loved the how these opposites attracted each other finding a common goal that brought them together.

I received
Jen ♥Star-Crossed Book Blog♥
Playing for Keeps was a heartwarming love story where opposites attract. With the help of their friends and a dog that quickly stole both of their hearts, destiny seemed to be in the air. I absolutely adore the Heartbreaker Bay Series and I couldn't wait to read Caleb and Sadie's story! While each book can easily be read as a standalone, I highly recommend starting back at the beginning. You don't want to miss a moment with this group of friends and coworkers.
He was everything she no longer let
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: Playing For Keeps
Series: Heartbreaker Bay #7
Author: Jill Shalvis
Release date: January 22, 2019
Cliffhanger: no
Genre: contemporary romance

Accidentally on Purpose was my first read in this series, and Elle and Archer have remained my favorite couple since then. I officially have a new leading couple because Caleb and Sadie unexpectedly swept me off my feet. I adore Jill Shalvis' humor in her books. You can always depend on her to deliver belly laughs and chuckles galore. Playing for Keeps d
Claire Robinson
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
4 - "You’re different…" Stars!

We return to Heartbreaker Bay for the seventh book in the series; Playing for Keeps giving us Sadie and Caleb’s story. Star of the show for me, and jelly that held this particular relationship sandwich together was three legged mutt Lollipop a.k.a Poops-a-lot.

"You have your superhero armor… and I have mine"

We have stepped somewhat away from the original crew now, and this far along in the series, Jill has started giving stories to some of the characters who have bee
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I loved this book! This is the seventh book in the Heartbreaker Bay series but it can easily be read as a stand-alone novel. Fans of the series will enjoy checking in with some much-loved characters. I have enjoyed all of the books in this series so I was pretty eager to read this newest installment and it did not disappoint. Once I started reading this book, I didn't want to put it down and felt swept away by the story.

Caleb and Sad
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup. (posting 1/28/19)
Amazon: https://amzn.to/2pUw63I

Yall know I love me some Jill Shalvis. And I've enjoyed this series quite a bit. But Playing for Keeps and I had some issues. Namely the heroine. Which was frustrating because the hero and the pup? Adorable!

Gist: A homeless pup in need of an owner finds herself...two! Does she care that her new mommy and daddy don't like each other? Nope! She surely doesn't. She loves them and she's not giving either up
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

Finally Caleb's book. And Sadies's of course! ☺

Sadie is working at the day spa and at the tattoo shop in our beloved building. And Caleb. He's a bit mysterious. He sold some apps and made a massive amount of money, and now he's got a huge venture capital comany that he's running with his sisters.

Sadie and Caleb have always rubbed each other the wrong way. They're friends with the same people, so they see each other a lot. But it's always weird. But which is - obvious to the reader - their huge a
Samantha (WLABB)
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I will openly admit to you right now, that I love Jill Shalvis' books. She always has the right balance of humor, steam, and warmth, with just enough heartbreak and drama to keep it interesting. The other thing I love about her companion series are the wonderful groups of found-family she creates, and that was definitely one of the draws for me when it came to the Heartbreaker Bay books.

This go around we have not ONE, but TWO heavily armored characters. Both Sadie and Caleb kept themselves emoti
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookworms
This review was originally posted on (un)Conventional Bookworms
*I received a free copy of [title] from [publisher] via Edelweiss. This has in no way influenced my voluntary review, which is honest and unbiased *Playing for Keeps just might be my favorite Heartbreaker Bay story! I loved Sadie and Caleb so much. And Lollipop was the best rescue puppy ever!

Playing for Keeps just worked so very well for me! Sadie and Caleb both wanted nothing to do with a relationship. And they kind of worked the
Pamela
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I recently described another author's books as always ending up less than the sum of their parts. That was my clumsy way of saying that while this other author's prose, dialogue, characterization, themes etc. were all stellar when evaluated as individual components, somehow they came together as disappointingly lackluster novels as a whole. Jill Shalvis's books are actually the exact opposite for me: while objectively the prose, characterizations, plots, etc. tend to hover at or just above medio ...more
Kimberly
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for Wit and Sin

Sparks fly when opposites attract in Playing for Keeps . Jill Shalvis’s seventh Heartbreaker Bay novel has all the humor, heart, and endearing characters you’d expect to find in her books. And when you add in a scene-stealing rescue dog, it’s easy to see why Sadie and Caleb’s book charmed the heck out of me.

Sadie grabbed my heart from the very first page and didn’t let go. She’s a wonderful tattoo artist, she’s strong, independent, and deeply vulnerable. She has a fami
Dísir
Co-parenting an abandoned dog is what brings Sadie Lane and Caleb Parker together in Jill Shalvis’s ongoing ‘Heartbreaker Bay’ series—one that I had no idea would be going on and on and on.

And much of ‘Playing For Keeps’ is about bringing down the walls that Sadie has built after an emo-filled teenage-hood and adult-life, complete with barbs, pushing away and a whole lot of questioning when the man for her finally rolls around the corner with his own special brand of baggage that he’s already o
Aly
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

She calls him Suits. They're living in the same neighbourhood but keep their distance, rubbing each other the wrong way. He's a tech genius who sold the apps he invented and she's a tattoo artist who also work at a spa, doing makeup. Then one day, she sees Caleb hunker down outside in the rain. Curiosity didn't kill the cat but brought her a special dog she'll share custody with the hero.

When I saw a few reviews saying that this Jill Shalvis was more darker than her usual, I was wary. But I w
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Author Jill Shalvis’ Heartbreak Bay series has had its ups and downs for me, and unfortunately Playing for Keeps is one I did not enjoy as much as others. An adorable rescue dog is the catalyst to bring two people who have been in each other’s orbit for over a year both with both keeping their distance. While there were some parts of this book that were fun, sweet, and even sexy I found too much of it to be a bit clichéd and frustrating.

First I’ll say that I liked Caleb quite a bit, it was obvio
☕ Kimberly
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Coffee dates with Playing for Keeps

First Date: Sadie Lane is a starving tattoo artist with a chip on her shoulder and purple dye in her hair. She has seen Caleb Parker around the courtyard and has admired his psyche but the man she has dubbed "suits" is not her type. Yes, she finds him yummy, but she has tested the type and knows oil and water don't mix. When he strolls past her shop one rainy evening bending over something near the alley curiosity gets the better of her. What they find is a s
Sofia Lazaridou
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Playing for keeps is the 7th novel in the Heartbreaker Bay series. I can't believe this is book 7. The series is still fresh and I don't see it slowing down! I liked the book a lot, but Sadie tired me. She kept pushing and pushing Caleb away and when she wasn't doing that she was running away from him. I don't feel like she treated him fairly and he was swoon-worthy. I don't know if you will fall for Sadie, but I know that you will fall for him at least.

The story was good and my favorite charac
Under the Covers Book Blog

I’ve been a fan of Jill Shalvis for some time now and have literally read every single book of hers. Her Heartbreaker Bay series for me has been a mix of good and bad. Some books really impress me with its charm and sexy style whereas some books don’t quite hit home for me. PLAYING FOR KEEPS is one of those books unfortunately.

I really wanted to
Gretchen  (About That Story)

This story was so freaking adorable and fun. Sadie and Caleb's banter was priceless. Throw a cute dog and fun antics into the mix and it was pretty perfect. Playing for Keeps was an entertaining read that was heartfelt and real, from the sweet to the heat I was all in!

Sadie and Caleb totally did it for me. I loved learning their histories and seeing their interactions. They were like fire and ice and I loved their playful bickering, it was so fun! There were just so many fun scenes happ
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I love this series. I was so happy to read Caleb's story. If you have read Shalvis' books before you know she loves dogs and is the queen of romance. This book did not disappoint. Sadie and Caleb are great together. I only wish their story was longer.

I can't wait for The Lemon Sisters this fall.

You have to run don't walk and get your copy of Playing for Keeps. It's a great 4 star read.

The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all vi
Amy
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Opposites Attract Stars!!

“The seduction of being with a woman who didn’t want anything from his was too much to resist….”

“You’re different too. Different good, by the way. You’re a puzzle, one I can’t seem to solve. That doesn’t happen often.”

“He took Lollipop to a pet park. He held her hand whenever she got scared. Damn. The man was dangerous to her heart and soul.”

“I love you, okay? I never meant to, but I kept feeling all the little broken pieces of my heart give themselves to you. It’s t
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received for an honest review.

Gah, I just love getting back to Heartbreaker Bay! I just adore every single thing about the people in this series.

This is Caleb (woohoo) and Sadie's story, and it was fun, flirty and emotional. I think all of us can connect a little bit with Sadie, and I can tell you now, I just wanted to b!tchslap some of the people in her life for things!

I love their new addition to their lives, and boy did it make me want to get another dog! Though I don't miss the drool and
Stacee
I’m here for a Jill Shalvis book and this series has been a favorite.

I love love love Sadie and Caleb. They’re more alike than they think and their chemistry is off the charts. Of course I loved seeing the other characters and Caleb’s sisters. However, the scene stealer was definitely Lollipop.

Plot wise, it was good. There’s a lot of push and pull and a few overdramatic scenes, but for the most part, they communicate well. I loved that the angst parts didn’t last too long and the ending was qu
Suspense/mystery element...? 2 6 Jan 26, 2019 06:56AM
  • Three Day Fiancée (Animal Attraction, #2)
  • Snowy Nights at the Lonely Hearts Hotel
  • The Baby Bombshell (Shadow Creek Montana #2)
  • Flare Up (Boston Fire, #6)
  • A Change of Plans: Second Nature / Summer Desserts
  • The Christmas Cowboy Hero (Heart of Texas, #1)
  • A Date at the Altar (Marrying the Duke, #3)
  • The Rancher's Christmas Song (The Cowboys of Cold Creek)
  • Texas Legacy (Texas Trilogy, #3.5)
  • The Lady is Daring (Duke's Daughters, #3)
  • Hot to the Touch (Brotherhood by Fire, #1)
  • To Know Her Is to Love Her (Green Mountain, #1.5)
  • Life and Other Inconveniences
  • Governess Gone Rogue (Dear Lady Truelove, #3)
  • Merrily Ever After (Bridesmaids Behaving Badly, #2.5)
  • Fighting the Fire (Warrior Fight Club, #3)
  • Trust Me (The Holmes Brothers Book 5)
  • Right Wrong Guy (Brightwater #2)

Look for Jill's latest, LOST AND FOUND SISTERS on shelves and e-readers now, and get all her bestselling, award-winning books wherever romances are sold.

Visit Jill's websi

Heartbreaker Bay (8 books)
  • Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay, #1)
  • The Trouble with Mistletoe (Heartbreaker Bay, #2)
  • Accidentally on Purpose (Heartbreaker Bay, #3)
  • Chasing Christmas Eve (Heartbreaker Bay, #4)
  • About That Kiss (Heartbreaker Bay, #5)
  • Hot Winter Nights (Heartbreaker Bay, #6)
  • Wrapped Up in You (Heartbreaker Bay, #8)