Start by marking “Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea” as Want to Read:
Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea

Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea

The baker's dozen stories gathered here (including a new, previously unpublished story) turn readers into travelers to the past, the future, and explorers of the weirder points of the present. The journey is the thing as Pinsker weaves music, memory, technology, history, mystery, love, loss, and even multiple selves on generation ships and cruise ships, on highways and hig ...more
Published March 19th 2019 by Small Beer Press

To ask other readers questions about Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea

Start your review of Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea
Nataliya
By the end of this story collection I realized that Sarah Pinsker’s writing has grown on me. I’ll be honest - it took me a little while. Her writing is really good, but something about the way she tells her stories — almost vignette-like at times, often leaving you hanging just at that moment when you want and need more — was initially holding me back from loving it. But then a few stories in, when I got into Pinsker’s writing rhythm and the peculiarities of her storytelling I realized how much ...more
Iona Sharma
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
It took me a while to warm to this one because a couple of the earlier stories didn't grab me - including, disappointingly, the title story, which I didn't hate but didn't love. But when it picks up steam, it's a really wonderful book. The hands-down best story is "And Then There Were N-1", the Hugo-nominated story about a convention full of the author's alternative universe selves - all called Sarah Pinsker, attending SarahCon - but I liked "Wind Will Rove" almost as much, which is a story abou ...more
Lori
Most definitely in the running for best book I've read this year. Wow. Just wow.

Sarah deftly captures the human experience and rocks our world, time and time again in Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea. The stories within this collection take place in alternate universes and future versions of our current world, where the characters' realities are near enough to our own to seem comforting and familiar, yet are bizarre enough to catch you off-guard and continously facinate you.

It's r
Brooke
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I can't be truly objective about this book - Sarah is my friend. I remember when she sold her first story, and when she received her first award nomination. And now she has her first book release and every time award nominations for SFF awards come out my question isn't whether she was nominated but rather which story of hers was nominated this time.

But I can be objective enough to know that this collection competes with some of the best. I've read plenty of SFF short story collections - includi
Mark
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: story-collection
This is an impressive collection of stories, many set in the near-future or an alternate universe, but also grounded in real human dilemmas, including loss and isolation. The last story, "And Then There Were None", possibly the best in the collection, is a tribute to Agatha Christie, about a conference of hundreds of Sarah Pinskers, (the author) on a remote island in a storm--and one of them is murdered. The writing here is strong and deft and I am definitely looking forward to read more of Pins ...more
Beth Cato
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this galley through LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sarah Pinsker is among my favorite writers, and I was thrilled to read her new collection from Small Beer Press a few months in advance of release. When I say she's among my favorites, that also means I'd read most of the stories in this book before; four were new to me, but one sees its first publication in this book.

All of these stories are worth re-reading. Actually, they are worth studying on a technical level to understand why stor
Vanessa
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Possibly the best short story collection I have ever read.

I won't break it down by story, but I have to make one. Specific. Comment.

"A dog-eared paperback novel called Parable of the Trickster."

GODDAMMIT SARAH
David H.
I've only read a few stories by Sarah Pinsker before, two of which were included in this collection. Now having read this, I can say that I really, really like Sarah's work. In this book, there was only one story (out of thirteen) that I wasn't exactly fond of, and a full half of these were stories I loved. They're all SF or fantasy stories, though several add historical bents (and one of my favorites adds a murder mystery).

I won't mention every story, but I do want to mention my favorites: "And
Koeeoaddi
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant collection; vivid, compelling and relentlessly humane. Each story sucks you in with an intriguing first sentence or premise and by the time you turn the page you are completely involved. I love the language, which is so evocative and immediate. There wasn't a story I didn't like, or a sentence out of place. I loved the title story, but I think my favorite was the short and lovely The Sewell Home for tbe Temporally Displaced. Marvelous!
Miloš Petrik
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Much as I wasn't thrilled with the initial half of this collection, I was very impressed with the latter. The closing story in particular, "And Then There Were N-One" was a really interesting read, and, I imagine, a lot of fun to write.
Rahma Abdelrahman
List of stories:
1. A Stretch of Highway Two Lanes Wide
2. And We Were Left Darkling => Started out really interested, but the conclusion left me with no real resolution. Still a nice story, though.
3. Remembery Day
4. Sooner or Later Everything Falls Into the Sea
5. The Low Hum of Her
6. Talking With Dead People
7. The Sewell Home for the Temporally Displaced => Really cool, really short story. Worth a re-read to notice all the small details in such a short page time.
8. In Joy, Knowing the Abyss Behin
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is easily the best short story collection--and possibly the best book--I read in the last year. So often, collections are a mixed bag, but this one was weird and wondrous from beginning to end.

I appreciated the hope that threaded throughout the stories. I've been working against the urge to make every work of science fiction into a brooding vision of an ominous future, and Pinsker's book gives me a rare model for this amidst the bleak, dystopian SF landscape. I also enjoyed the abundance of
Teleseparatist
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2019
Sarah Pinsker's talent continues to astonish me. These stories are so clever and tender in voice. Many of them take themes of more traditional sf but look at them from a different perspective: from the sidelines, where human lives go on and ethical choices also have to be made. I was familiar with some of these stories but not others, and it was a pleasure reading the new material.

The one exception to my enthusiasm was Our Lady of the Open Road, the story set in the holographic-musicians world,
Ed Erwin
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf, short-story
I greatly enjoyed many of the stories in here. Yet, after reaching the end, I realized I'd forgotten what most of them were about! Maybe they all bleed into each other because they are all character-driven and some of the characters seem a lot alike. The characters are well-written and real-seeming, though.

The title story is probably my favorite: just two women dealing with a post-apocalyptic world. "Wind will rove", about fiddle players on a generation ship was also really nice. It makes one th
Roy
The first collection from an amazing writer who just keeps getting better. This collection includes the four stories nominated for major awards, one new story, and several of her other works. She invokes emotions in every story, and her style is inimitable.

The collection would deserve 5 stars just for the 4 award stories -- I re-read them, and, if anything, they are more impressive at a second read. I keep being amazed at how "And then there were (N-one)" works on so many levels, as a true homa
Tzu-Mainn Chen
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this collection of stories on a whim, and in all honesty I wasn’t expecting much. I personally dislike science fiction that emphasizes the “science” over the “fiction”, but that’s often (and understandably) what you get when you combine science fiction with a short story. Two or three memorable stories; that’s all I wanted.

To my amazement, I found that Pinsker’s stories delighted me over and over and over again. There are wonderfully futuristic concepts running through every one of t
Kate
Nov 29, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

This was a delightfully original and unusual set of short stories. Delving into this world was a great experience and author's writing style kept me intrigued through it all. And these stories made me feel an array of emotions - joy, sadness, wonder...

Definitely one of the more interesting reads I touched lately.
Bee
I have no words beyond "wow" at the moment. Full review to come.
CatBookMom
First impression: I am savoring those stories, reading them one at a time. Really good writing, characterizations, sense of place.
Julie
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this collection. The author wrote a story about going to a convention of all her doppelgängers from alternate dimensions that was one of the greatest things I read in a Hugo packet and I was happy to see it in this collection.
Jon
Listened to "A Stretch of Highway Two Miles Long" via EscapePod episode 699 (2.5-3 stars)
Rachel
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. At the end of the book, I just wanted more.

I'd previously read, and loved, about half of the stories here. The new one that I liked best was the last one, "And Then There Were (N-1)." It's about a conference of about 200 Sarah Pinskers (some have slightly different names) from alternate universes, and includes a murder mystery. Outstanding!
Bryn Hammond
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: imagined-fiction
Highly readable stories. All a bit contemporary-world feel for these to lie quite next to my heart (the exception a historical setting whose plot turns on intersex identity). I liked the dystopias with hope, as well as the casual centrality of lesbians & presence of wheelchairs. I think my faves were the one about the mechanical grandmother who took on a real life, and the hermit waiting for her wife after the collapse, who finds a stray from the rich ships instead. ...more
Christina Pilkington
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
After reading several Pinsker stories and reading her novelette And The There Were N-One, I was glad to see this collection nominated for the Philip K. Dick Award and eventually win.

Pinker has a very literary style which means these stories are not quick reads, but they are rich in description and language, and the sci fi elements are thought-provoking and unique.

I'm eager to see how I'll get on with when I read her novel A Song for a New Day next month- which is nominated for a Nebula award t
Alex Jeffries
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stunned

As much as I want to read these stories again for the first time, I can't wait to go through them again and unearth even more details.
Girl
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
What a wonderful collection. For some reason, I'd put off reading it (and then a friend borrowed our copy), but when I started, I almost couldn't put it down. The stories are all unique and all fascinating, with a distinct voice that can be found in all of them. (My one quibble is with "Our Lady of the Open Road" - I enjoyed reading it, and there were very good moments, but I'm generally not interested in stories about musician life, so that part left me cold.)

My favourite remains "And Then Ther
Michael Hanscom
Really enjoyed this collection. Hopeful themes, and music winds its way through nearly every story in neat ways.

Favorites include “Talking With Dead People”, “No Lonely Seafarer”, “Wind Will Rove”, “The Narwhal”, and “And Then There Were (N-One)”.
Sirens
Sometimes the right book finds you at the right time.

I purchased Sarah Pinsker’s Sooner or Later Everything Falls into the Sea in April 2019. This will surprise none of you who are familiar with my particular reading predilections: Sooner or Later is a collection of speculative short stories, critically acclaimed, compared to the work of Kelly Link, repeatedly described as “weird.” If I were to read only three things the rest of my life they would be: fantasy/literary crossovers, young-adult hi
Alex Sarll
I read the last and longest piece here, the crosstime Agatha Christie homage And Then There Were (N-One), a couple of years back. Got the book in February, a belated birthday present; read a couple more stories then. But this is another one which has really come into its own since the Event. The title story, with its cruise ship nightmares and slow, quiet end of everything; No Lonely Seafarer, in which sirens nesting on the headland condemn a coastal village to sullen stasis: "How much longer ar ...more
Kathryn
I picked this up for a book club read and went in with zero expectations. I was incredibly pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this collection! I am not much of a short fiction reader, but this collection of (mostly) short stories by Sarah Pinsker has some real winners in it and even the few stories I didn't really like just didn't resonate with me personally, they weren't bad stories by any means. I can certainly see why this author has been cleaning up on the awards lists for short fict ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• All Worlds are Real: Short Fictions
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • The Hidden Girl and Other Stories
  • The Best American Science Fiction and Fantasy 2019
  • The Cybernetic Tea Shop
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle, #1)
  • Mars
  • The Light Brigade
  • Blood Is Another Word for Hunger
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • To Be Taught, If Fortunate
  • Catfishing on CatNet (CatNet #1)
  • Elatsoe
  • Or What You Will
  • The Rosewater Redemption (The Wormwood Trilogy, #3)
  • The Deep
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)

Articles featuring this book

Lori Hettler is the founder and moderator of The Next Best Book Club, one of the most popular groups on Goodreads, and has been a reader and...