Start by marking “The Most Important Thing: Discovering Truth at the Heart of Life” as Want to Read:
The Most Important Thing: Discovering Truth at the Heart of Life

The Most Important Thing: Discovering Truth at the Heart of Life

From esteemed teacher Adyashanti, a collection of writings on the search for the ultimate reality beneath the narrative of our lives

"Our inner lives are every bit as astonishing, baffling, and mysterious as the infinite vastness of the cosmos." —Adyashanti

We all define our lives through the lens of stories. Whether we see ourselves as heroes or victims, good people or bad
Published January 1st 2019 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about The Most Important Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Important Thing

Start your review of The Most Important Thing: Discovering Truth at the Heart of Life
Aristidis Marousas
Not entirely sure how I feel about this book. There were definitely some great insights found throughout, but not as many as I’ve found in other books I’ve read so far. This also might be because I’ve read Tolle, another book by Adyashanti, Deepak, and Oprah. All of these authors and thought/spiritual leaders cover much of the same ground.

In this particular book, Adya does delve a bit deeper into meditation and provides his perspective of what it truly is. It does not involve mantras or forceful
L1ll14n
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2019
I think this is the type of book that you need to read at a certain point in your life when you are open to the messages within it. I thought initially it was going to be a guide to figure out your purpose or passion in life. It turned out to be more about meditation and mindfulness and how to be more present in daily life. There are some great insights into letting go of attachments and how to be more aware. Good for those wanting to go deeper into meditation and mindfulness.
I received an advan
Ann T
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Sounds True and Netgalley for a copy of this book in return for my honest review.

I hadn’t read anything by Adyashanti prior to this book and I am so grateful to have been introduced to this great person.

I have dipped in and out of this book, picking it up when I have wanted some of his wisdom or needed a gentle reminder of “what is important”. I love the questions that he asks and how his writing cements much of my learning. I had some lovely aha moments and he really really helped m
Mark Bodenstein
May 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first book by Adyashanti. I particularly appreciated his attempts to guide me to the understanding and even more to the experience of unconditioned awareness/Self/Silence/God/Buddha. Even coming closer to that felt meaningful and a touch blissful. Also his related discussion of birth/life/death.
Veronica Cockerill
Clear and Easy To Follow

As with all his books, this one is clear and easy to follow. In writing about the truth of existence itself, which is ultimately indescribable, his attempt is the best and most reliable description I’ve ever read. He gives great examples from his own experiences and clear metaphors for pointing to what spiritual awakening is like. It’s a wonderful book!
Geri Degruy
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful! Adyashanti talks about meditation, awareness, and unity in ways I've never heard before. I've been meditating for years but this book (and his other books) has opened up my meditation and my life in new ways. I have trouble putting it into words. Read his books. ...more
Laura Clementz
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Most Important Thing is a deep read that dives into finding and uncovering the part of the mind that is silent. It was my first impression that it can be read many times over as the concepts sink in and allow the reader to gain new perspectives about the world around us.

Adyashanti guides us that what is most important is what we are doing at this given moment and being completely present. To achieve this is the spiritual journey of finding and uncovering the part of the mind that is silent.
Kristy
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a clear-eyed and compelling collection of reflections on what is essential about life. Adyashanti comes at this topic from different angles using personal anecdotes, exploration of the teachings of others, and evocative metaphors to distill the knowledge that all life is interconnected; that there is a state that exists beyond our descriptions, stories, or conditioning; and that taking the time to step back from our assumptions and narratives, we can see this essential nature of life and ...more
Bob Price
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remember what it was to be a child. Wonder and Awe abound! Definition, separation, and dogma are taught and/or picked up by each individual.The Most Important Thing: Discovering Truth at the Heart of Life will reveal to you what you are ready to see or possibly what you already know. Perhaps what you have always known. May you be open to a greater truth. "And the truth shall set you free." - Jesus ...more
Yuting Yin
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got to sense awareness when reading the chapter on being conscious of consciousness. It is seeing the mystery of life that is contained and beyond the words of the book. The book is a dear friend that sits with me together in truth. Warm and clear.
Bhakta Kishor
Humanity is not yet mature. We have the faces of human beings, but our minds are lagging far behind. In the ordinary world, it is easy to manage your mask, your pretension, your hypocrisy. But when you come to a master. The very urge to come to a master shows a tremendous desire in you to know your original face, to know yourself. The face that you are now carrying is not your original face; it is not you. I am saying you are not you, and you know it.

The master is only a mirror. You cannot decei
Dusica
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone on a spiritual path! Wow is not only for the fact it is written in such a clear and concise way, but the fact of direct transmission of teaching suggesting I was at the stage to receive it.
Aly
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, clear and direct. I'm incredibly grateful for this book and Adya's teaching! ...more
Tetrijeb
May 09, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not as good as some of his earlier books, feels like mostly a rehash of his old stuff. good read nevertheless as anything from adya is gold.
Tom Cornille
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing new but still, the way he expresses ideas is refreshing and acts as a good reminder of various teachings... Humane, balanced and compassionate. Not a must read but a solid one.
David Patterson
Not my favorite book of his. I din't feel the enthusiasm from his prior books. He seemed bored with his topics. ...more
Herman Cajigas

• Jed Talks #3: The Tao of the Large-Breasted Goddess with the Shapely Behind
  • Inland
  • Damapada
  • Case Studies in Multicultural Counseling and Therapy
  • It Starts with the Egg: How the Science of Egg Quality Can Help You Get Pregnant Naturally, Prevent Miscarriage, and Improve Your Odds in IVF
  • Social Psychology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health
  • Jed Talks #2: Away from the Things of Man
  • Jed Talks #1: Essays, Teachings, Rants & Frivolous Frivolity
  • The Journey Home: Autobiography of an American Swami
Adyashanti is an American spiritual teacher from the San Francisco Bay Area who gives regular satsangs in the United States and also teaches abroad. He is the author of several books, CDs and DVDs and is the founder of Open Gate Sangha, Inc. a nonprofit organization that supports, and makes available, his teachings.