Start by marking “The Most Important Thing: Discovering Truth at the Heart of Life” as Want to Read:
The Most Important Thing: Discovering Truth at the Heart of Life

The Most Important Thing: Discovering Truth at the Heart of Life

From esteemed teacher Adyashanti, a collection of writings on the search for the ultimate reality beneath the narrative of our lives

"Our inner lives are every bit as astonishing, baffling, and mysterious as the infinite vastness of the cosmos." —Adyashanti

We all define our lives through the lens of stories. Whether we see ourselves as heroes or victims, good people or bad
Published January 1st 2019 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about The Most Important Thing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Important Thing

Start your review of The Most Important Thing: Discovering Truth at the Heart of Life
Kat
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the type of book that you need to read at a certain point in your life when you are open to the messages within it. I thought initially it was going to be a guide to figure out your purpose or passion in life. It turned out to be more about meditation and mindfulness and how to be more present in daily life. There are some great insights into letting go of attachments and how to be more aware. Good for those wanting to go deeper into meditation and mindfulness.
I received an advan
Ann T
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Sounds True and Netgalley for a copy of this book in return for my honest review.

I hadn’t read anything by Adyashanti prior to this book and I am so grateful to have been introduced to this great person.

I have dipped in and out of this book, picking it up when I have wanted some of his wisdom or needed a gentle reminder of “what is important”. I love the questions that he asks and how his writing cements much of my learning. I had some lovely aha moments and he really really helped m
Aristidis Marousas
Not entirely sure how I feel about this book. There were definitely some great insights found throughout, but not as many as I’ve found in other books I’ve read so far. This also might be because I’ve read Tolle, another book by Adyashanti, Deepak, and Oprah. All of these authors and thought/spiritual leaders cover much of the same ground.

In this particular book, Adya does delve a bit deeper into meditation and provides his perspective of what it truly is. It does not involve mantras or forceful
Veronica Cockerill
Clear and Easy To Follow

As with all his books, this one is clear and easy to follow. In writing about the truth of existence itself, which is ultimately indescribable, his attempt is the best and most reliable description I’ve ever read. He gives great examples from his own experiences and clear metaphors for pointing to what spiritual awakening is like. It’s a wonderful book!
Laura Clementz
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Most Important Thing is a deep read that dives into finding and uncovering the part of the mind that is silent. It was my first impression that it can be read many times over as the concepts sink in and allow the reader to gain new perspectives about the world around us.

Adyashanti guides us that what is most important is what we are doing at this given moment and being completely present. To achieve this is the spiritual journey of finding and uncovering the part of the mind that is silent.
Bob Price
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remember what it was to be a child. Wonder and Awe abound! Definition, separation, and dogma are taught and/or picked up by each individual.The Most Important Thing: Discovering Truth at the Heart of Life will reveal to you what you are ready to see or possibly what you already know. Perhaps what you have always known. May you be open to a greater truth. "And the truth shall set you free." - Jesus ...more
Yuting Yin
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I got to sense awareness when reading the chapter on being conscious of consciousness. It is seeing the mystery of life that is contained and beyond the words of the book. The book is a dear friend that sits with me together in truth. Warm and clear.
Bhakta Kishor
Humanity is not yet mature. We have the faces of human beings, but our minds are lagging far behind. In the ordinary world, it is easy to manage your mask, your pretension, your hypocrisy. But when you come to a master. The very urge to come to a master shows a tremendous desire in you to know your original face, to know yourself. The face that you are now carrying is not your original face; it is not you. I am saying you are not you, and you know it.

The master is only a mirror. You cannot decei
Dusica
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone on a spiritual path! Wow is not only for the fact it is written in such a clear and concise way, but the fact of direct transmission of teaching suggesting I was at the stage to receive it.
Aly
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written, clear and direct. I'm incredibly grateful for this book and Adya's teaching!
Tom Cornille
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing new but still, the way he expresses ideas is refreshing and acts as a good reminder of various teachings... Humane, balanced and compassionate. Not a must read but a solid one.
David Patterson
Not my favorite book of his. I din't feel the enthusiasm from his prior books. He seemed bored with his topics.
Herman Cajigas

• Stillness Speaks
  • The Space Within: Finding Your Way Back Home
  • Supercoach: 10 Secrets to Transform Anyone's Life
  • Expanding Horizons
  • Real Magic: Ancient Wisdom, Modern Science, and a Guide to the Secret Power of the Universe
  • Calculating the Cosmos: How Mathematics Unveils the Universe
  • Self-Tracking
  • The Internet of Things
  • GPS
  • Beyond the Mat: Achieve Focus, Presence, and Enlightened Leadership through the Principles and Practice of Yoga
  • Collected Poems of Vasko Popa
  • The Philosophy Of Wine
  • Images and Symbols: Studies in Religious Symbolism
  • The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life's Perfection
  • Inland
  • Damapada
  • Thusness
Adyashanti is an American spiritual teacher from the San Francisco Bay Area who gives regular satsangs in the United States and also teaches abroad. He is the author of several books, CDs and DVDs and is the founder of Open Gate Sangha, Inc. a nonprofit organization that supports, and makes available, his teachings.

News & Interviews

“As we go through life, we eventually have enough experience to see that sometimes profound difficulty can also be profoundly heart opening. When you are in a tough position, when you are facing something hard, when you feel challenged, when you feel like you are at your edge, it is a gift to be willing to stop, to sit with those moments, and not look for the quick, easy resolution for that feeling. It is a kind of grace to be able and willing to open yourself entirely to the experience of challenge, of difficulty, and of insecurity.” 0 likes
“The thought is not the thing that it represents. Try to get that right down to your core, right down to the marrow in your bones and into the blood that flows through your veins: the thought is not the thing. Then embrace that intermediary step of unknowing things, and as you enter the unknown, you'll see it is not a place; it is the living reality of things underneath the idea of the unknown. The point is not to spend the rest of your life saying, "I do not know" to everything; it is to step out of the known and directly perceive. You do this by entering the lived reality of not knowing, which takes you out of the known, out of the idea and into the reality of you, of anything, and of anyone. It's a place where words are useful tools, but you are no longer trapped by them.” 0 likes