Start by marking “The Decision Checklist: A Practical Guide to Avoiding Problems” as Want to Read:
The Decision Checklist: A Practical Guide to Avoiding Problems

The Decision Checklist: A Practical Guide to Avoiding Problems

Some are big. Some are small. But nothing determines our happiness and success in life more than the decisions we make. If you don’t like where you are in life, that can be a hard pill to swallow. The good news is, that no matter where you are today, you can choose to be in a better place tomorrow. That’s where The Decision Checklist comes in.

The framework outlined in The
Published June 12th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Decision Checklist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decision Checklist

Simon Eskildsen
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
If you've read nothing about decision-making, this is a great intro. If you have read books such as Decisive, Principles, Farnam Street, or Charlie Munger, this has nothing new and original other than a few examples, which is a shame. As your first foray to break open the literature on decision-making, I can see use in choosing your next adventure. It'd be unfair not to point out the things that Kyle brings up that are "new." This line is fantastic:

“A system is responsible in proportion to the d
Rachael
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
If you’re looking to improve your decision-making, I’d definitely recommend Decisive by the Heath Brothers over this book (this book actually references Decisive). I enjoyed reading Decisive more because of the stories and rich examples. In contrast, this book summarized and referenced a lot of concepts at a high-level.

This book’s main takeaways:
* Keep a decision journal.
* Make better decisions by taking responsibility for the outcome
* Indecision is costly
* Know that there are a lot of cognitiv
antony brennan
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I had such high hopes for this book. It's more of a productivity/ life issues journal guidebook and not so much of a checklist guidebook.

It's written well and it's engaging and you may get a lot of benefit from reading it but I was looking for a book of checklists for making decisions. There was one, I used it for a work problem and it did clarify things for me and got me asking the right questions to get to a decision but that is not the main thrust of the rest of the book.
Josh Rensch
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good primer on decision making

Sam details a process to helping most people make better decisions. He makes a lot of references to various other books on decision making. He brings all those together into one reference. Couple things I enjoyed was the list of mental models in the appendix and all the various action steps he wants people to go through not only at the end of each chapter but a master list at the end of the book.
Juan Manuel Vera
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesante y útil.

Un libro muy recomendable, con aportaciones muy útiles interesantes.
La aportación del decisión journal, por si mismo vale la pena. El capítulo de modelos de decisiones es espectacular

Altamente recomendable. .
Jeff
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You can likely skip this book unless you've never read anything else about decision-making. Otherwise, the references to other books are useful and probably more valuable than the rest of the content.
Héctor Iván Patricio Moreno
I've learned that I need to read a lot more about decisions to be a good decision maker. I liked very much the part about the books and the mental models and I want to develop my critical thinking thanks to this book.

The checklist proposed is a good start to making better decisions I think.
Ben
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thinking
The book lacks depth and skims over the details. The author references people and ideas but didn't add much insight into decision making himself.

The why isnt explained and there are not many examples.
Stephen Bleakley
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worth it for the mental models alone

One of the better books on decision making worthwhile read with plenty of insights.The appendix on mental models was worth the price alone.
Leonardo Pinzon
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very short and useful book, I think it can help about the structure of the decision we take
James Lusher
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mental models and decision making

Excellent set of mental models in appendix C. This book is short and simple but it’s messages are powerful if applied
Airon
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
It's an overview of how to make better decisions. I didn't feel compelled to implement the tips in the book though.
Cristian Onetiu
Benjamin Jones
rated it it was ok
Sep 01, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
“When you do as everyone else does, don’t be surprised when you get what everyone else gets.” — Peter Kaufman” 0 likes
“Ford made a historic decision to improve the lives of his workers. He added a third shift to create more jobs, reduced the workday from nine hours to eight, and doubled the hourly pay of his employees.” 0 likes