Start by marking “The Decision Checklist: A Practical Guide to Avoiding Problems” as Want to Read:
The Decision Checklist: A Practical Guide to Avoiding Problems

The Decision Checklist: A Practical Guide to Avoiding Problems

Some are big. Some are small. But nothing determines our happiness and success in life more than the decisions we make. If you don’t like where you are in life, that can be a hard pill to swallow. The good news is, that no matter where you are today, you can choose to be in a better place tomorrow. That’s where The Decision Checklist comes in.

The framework outlined in Th
Published June 12th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Decision Checklist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Decision Checklist

Start your review of The Decision Checklist: A Practical Guide to Avoiding Problems
Simon Eskildsen
Aug 12, 2018 rated it liked it
If you've read nothing about decision-making, this is a great intro. If you have read books such as Decisive, Principles, Farnam Street, or Charlie Munger, this has nothing new and original other than a few examples, which is a shame. As your first foray to break open the literature on decision-making, I can see use in choosing your next adventure. It'd be unfair not to point out the things that Kyle brings up that are "new." This line is fantastic:

“A system is responsible in proportion to the d
Rachael
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
If you’re looking to improve your decision-making, I’d definitely recommend Decisive by the Heath Brothers over this book (this book actually references Decisive). I enjoyed reading Decisive more because of the stories and rich examples. In contrast, this book summarized and referenced a lot of concepts at a high-level.

This book’s main takeaways:
* Keep a decision journal.
* Make better decisions by taking responsibility for the outcome
* Indecision is costly
* Know that there are a lot of cognitiv
Pedro Gimenez
May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Una lectura muy simple que se limita a citar las típicas enseñanzas de gente como Charlie Munger, Benjamin Graham o Benjamin Franklin. Si ya has leído libros sobre ellos, el único capítulo que te aporta valor es el primero y el apéndice B. O mejor, lee este post que resume el capítulo completo: https://fs.blog/2014/02/decision-jour....

Para ponerlo en práctica he creado un template en Evernote en el que durante este año anotaré mis decisiones. Las revisaré cada seis meses —la sugerencia del autor
J.
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology, business
This book is small yet to the point. There is no dilly dallying with this book, it gives you a brief context for the chapter and then you are off into the procedures and exercises pertinent to the chapter itself. I found especially the chapter on mental models to be most important, as process is better than outcome. Of course, process needs to be refined and made to adjust to your context in life as well. I would recommend this book.
antony
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I had such high hopes for this book. It's more of a productivity/ life issues journal guidebook and not so much of a checklist guidebook.

It's written well and it's engaging and you may get a lot of benefit from reading it but I was looking for a book of checklists for making decisions. There was one, I used it for a work problem and it did clarify things for me and got me asking the right questions to get to a decision but that is not the main thrust of the rest of the book.
Josh Rensch
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good primer on decision making

Sam details a process to helping most people make better decisions. He makes a lot of references to various other books on decision making. He brings all those together into one reference. Couple things I enjoyed was the list of mental models in the appendix and all the various action steps he wants people to go through not only at the end of each chapter but a master list at the end of the book.
andy noble
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
An introduction to the subject

Well written, not overlong introduction to the topic. Good references for further reading. Plus a couple of decision making models are explored in order to get you started in making better decisions
Jeff
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
You can likely skip this book unless you've never read anything else about decision-making. Otherwise, the references to other books are useful and probably more valuable than the rest of the content.
Héctor Iván Patricio Moreno
I've learned that I need to read a lot more about decisions to be a good decision maker. I liked very much the part about the books and the mental models and I want to develop my critical thinking thanks to this book.

The checklist proposed is a good start to making better decisions I think.
MindOverMatter
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
That's a work book. One that requires practices and a journal. I like it, very inspiring. It is my first step into decision making and I learned a lot. It is a quick read; the hard work starts afterwards in our journal.
Ben
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: thinking
The book lacks depth and skims over the details. The author references people and ideas but didn't add much insight into decision making himself.

The why isnt explained and there are not many examples.
Airon
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
It's an overview of how to make better decisions. I didn't feel compelled to implement the tips in the book though.
Xu
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Good introductory book on establishing why it’s important to use models and checklists to guide decision making. Many action points included and are easy to find. However, it’s not though-provoking to me.
Juan Manuel Vera
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesante y útil.

Un libro muy recomendable, con aportaciones muy útiles interesantes.
La aportación del decisión journal, por si mismo vale la pena. El capítulo de modelos de decisiones es espectacular

Altamente recomendable. .
James Lusher
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mental models and decision making

Excellent set of mental models in appendix C. This book is short and simple but it’s messages are powerful if applied
Arunsathyaseelan
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and will be coming back to it again and again. Synthesizes the most influential decision making processes in a short and crisp way.
Daniel Zavala
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Intro level book on how to improve our decision making process with tons of material on what to do next.
Ray Ritchey
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good Ideas

Lists lots of decision making models and some of the challenges people have in their internal mental models. Short book, but lots of good ideas that will help me a lot.
Stephen Bleakley
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worth it for the mental models alone

One of the better books on decision making worthwhile read with plenty of insights.The appendix on mental models was worth the price alone.
Leonardo Pinzon
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very short and useful book, I think it can help about the structure of the decision we take
Cristian Onetiu
Vikrama Dhiman
Jul 09, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Great Mental Models: General Thinking Concepts
  • How to Take Smart Notes: One Simple Technique to Boost Writing, Learning and Thinking – for Students, Academics and Nonfiction Book Writers
  • How to Fight a Hydra: Face Your Fears, Pursue Your Ambitions, and Become the Hero You Are Destined to Be
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Visual Finance: The One Page Visual Model to Understand Financial Statements and Make Better Business Decisions
  • Practicing with Purpose: An Indispensable Resource to Increase Musical Proficiency
  • Helping Your Husband with ADHD: Supportive Solutions for Adult ADD/ADHD
  • What the Most Successful People Do Before Breakfast: A Short Guide to Making Over Your Mornings--and Life
  • Tiny Habits: The Small Changes That Change Everything
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture
  • It's Not About You: A Brief Guide to a Meaningful Life
  • Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don't Have All the Facts
  • Purpose In Practice: 26 Rules for the Practicing Musician
  • Super Thinking: The Big Book of Mental Models
  • Nothing
  • Turn Your Computer Into a Money Machine: How to make money from home and grow your income fast, with no prior experience! Set up within a week!

News & Interviews

“When you do as everyone else does, don’t be surprised when you get what everyone else gets.” — Peter Kaufman” 0 likes
“Ford made a historic decision to improve the lives of his workers. He added a third shift to create more jobs, reduced the workday from nine hours to eight, and doubled the hourly pay of his employees.” 0 likes