Start by marking “Imprison the Sky (The Elementae, #2)” as Want to Read:
Imprison the Sky (The Elementae, #2)

Imprison the Sky

(The Elementae #2)

Stolen from her family as a child, Aspasia has clawed her way up the ranks of Cyrus's black market empire to captain her own trading vessel--and she risks it all every time she uses her powerful magic to free as many women, children, and Elementae from slavery as she can.

But Cyrus is close to uncovering her secrets--not only that Aspasia is an air Elementa with the
Published January 22nd 2019 by Bloomsbury

Start your review of Imprison the Sky (The Elementae, #2)
Tova
Jul 25, 2018 marked it as to-read
DO I SEE MY HUSBAND KAIROS'S NAME IS THYNE SYNOPSIS???? *SCREAMS* I NEED THIS BOOK SO BADLYYYYYY.
Austine (NovelKnight)
This book was provided by the publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Is it possible to love a sequel more than the first book when you don't remember much of the first book?

Because, if so, I LOVE THIS BOOK EVEN MORE!

Imprison the Skywas just. . . well, amazing. It's been long enough since I readReign the Earth(and also read over 100 books in between) that I can't make a direct comparison to the first book but, really, I don't need to. This sequel stands
B.
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Full spoiler free review:

Second books in a series can be pretty hit or miss. I’m happy to say that this was a gem among seconds! I enjoyed Reign the Earth, but a few elements (hehe pun intended) fell a little flat for me. The characters definitely had my heart, and at first, I was a little confused when I realized the second book is written from the POV of a different female lead.

My confusion quickly turned to love, as Aspasia is one of my new favorite characters of all time. Often times,
Sheila Goicea
See this full review along with others on my blog at: foalsfictionandfiligree.com

1) Reign The Earth:

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review via Netgalley. Thank you!

DNF at 40%

Content Warning: Slavery, Oppression
”Hope is a cruel thing,” I told him honestly. Hope gave me power, but it was also to blame for every pain I’d ever felt.

After loving the first installment in this series, Reign The Earth, I was very disappointed to call this a DNF. While DNFing more for
Andi (Andi's ABCs)
This review was originally posted on Andi's ABCs
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. If I thought I loved Reign the Earth it was nothing compared to the love I ended up having for Imprison the Sky. A.C. Gaughen came back to this world and took it up a notch. The complexity to Aspasia endeared her to me from the start. She was doing something that wasn’t 100% moral to the naked eye but she was
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

I liked book one, Reign the Earth,but I didn't reallylove it, so I went into this one with a little hesitation. So imagine my happiness when I really,really liked it!

The Things I Liked:

•Aspasia and her crew areawesome. I was worried when I realized that this was fromAspasia's POV, because the characters were my favorite part of the first book. But I needn't have!Aspasia is a fabulous
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This was a very different story to Reign The Earth - there was a lot more seafaring and the primary discourse here revolves around a slaver who is freeing women and children from slavery. The stories do end up intersecting but only very slightly. It has a slow moving plot and is more character driven than action-oriented, and because of that I found myself slightly bored halfway through.

Aspasia is a slave herself, but she is given a relative freedom by slave trader Cyrus just because she
Andrea
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, own
I thought I loved Shalia, but then I met Aspasia, or Asp as most of her crew calls her. Asp is an incredibly powerful Air elementae and the captain of a damn pirate ship. PIRATE SHIP!!! Asp is also not a stranger to the horrors of slavery, on both sides of it. She truly makes a lot of tough decisions within this book, most for the sake of her family/crew's safety. Aspasia was quite a refreshingly gray character compared to some of the goody-two shoes I've been reading about lately lmao.

In
Beatrice in Bookland
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
"We will go there together, and rewrite a path in the stars."

1. Reign the earth

It was good, but definitely not as much as Reign the earth.
I remember the first volume taking my heart and never giving it back (blame Shalia and her amazingness). I read it last summer and I still find myself thinking about it sometimes. Unfortunately, I'm sure that Imprison the sky will not stay with me for that long. I'm already forgetting some plot points.
Andrew Guan
Today I am going to give a short, brief, to-the-point, blurb of Imprison the Sky.

This story takes place in a mythical world where some people called Elementae have special powers. Aspasia, also know as Asp, is an Elementae who can control the water and the wind. She is owned by a powerful and wealthy owner, Cyrus. Asp once lost her family into the slave dealing place and she has never seen them again. Asp sends the type of slaves Cyrus wants to her, and in turn, Asp can captain her flying ship
Kirstysbookishworld
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star-rating
Aspasia is no hero. But she is a freed slave who decided no other child or women would ever be enslaved again. Captain of her ship and just trying to get by with a cruel master and mission of personal stakes.

The crew. The family. It’s just so damned heartwarming. Family isn’t just about blood to these people but it’s the people who take care of you for no other reason than they love you.

Kai is so damned wonderful ! I loved him in the first book and he only seems to get better in the second.
Lauren
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bethany
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
I wasn't sure what to expect but while Imprison the Sky was a very different book from Reign the Earth, I absolutely loved it! This is a companion novel that follows some of the side characters that we met in book 1, eventually intersecting with Shalia's story from Reign the Earth. It could be read as a standalone, but you will get more from it if you read Reign first.

Imprison follows Aspasia, the salty (and bisexual!) young captain of a ship that trades in slaves and other valuables. Herself a
Zoeanne
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Received at BookCon and binge read the day after. 4.5 stars

GUYS THIS BOOK DOES NOT DISAPPOINT!

Awesome magic system? Check.
Amazing characters + growth? Check
ANGSTY!? Check. :)

I ADORED it and I'm actually disappointing that I've read it because now I have to wait until 2020 for the sequel.
Minni Mouse
I kinda strongly dislike pirate seafaring books, so this one and me were doomed from the start. Reign the Earth was a five star book for me, but that's probably as far as I'll enjoy the series.

THE GOOD
Kairos, you sweetheart.

I sighed too and put the mug down, and stood, shaking the pants out. Kairos’s eyes watched me until I picked up the pants, and then his eyes dropped immediately, and a moment later he turned around.

I laughed, pulling the pants on and tucking my shirt into them. “It’s
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, physical-2018

This was brilliant. I need the next book.

------------

Full review can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

If there was one new series that blew me away in 2018 it was The Elementae series. I am usually weary of fantasy books because I can get lost in everything but it surpassed my expectations. I was hooked! That also meant I could hardly wait to get my hands on the second book in the series. But there is always a slight fear with second books because they often fall
Cassie O. | Lost In Tomes
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
From the moment I first met the sky pirates in Reign The Earth I knew I needed more of them. So I was thrilled when I found out we were getting companion novel all about Aspasia and her crew!

Gaughen has a unique talent for portraying raw, emotionally complex characters. Like with Reign the Earth (RTE) the character development was my favorite part of this story.Aspasia is a real pineapple of a character; prickly on the outside but soft, tangy and sweet on the inside. She's a stark contrast to
Phoebe Dyer
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is SO GOOD! I loved it even more than I loved Reign the Earth. The characters in this one are so layered and well-developed and the pacing is excellent! More people need to read this series because it's AMAZING and ORIGINAL and I LOVE IT!
Cassandra (Thebookishcrypt)
*ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review*
"Slaves no longer, here we became the masters."
Okay, I'm just going to go out and say it, A.C. kills it at writing a deliciously diverse fantasy world. Every single one of her characters intrigues me to no end and I wanted more, more, more of what they had to offer.
I am still reeling from the first book so I was beyond terrified to pick this sequel up, which is why I I'm cutting it so close to release day with this review. I wasn't
Jodie- Readthewriteact
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was sent to me by the publisher for my honest review.

This is the second book in the Elementae series and it follows a different character Aspasia, who we saw briefly in the first book. Normally a switch in POV to a new character annoys me in a series but I quite enjoyed it. I think that because the whole world of the Elementae is so complex it was good for the story to see a different perspective and the characters from Reign the Earth were cleverly intertwined in this plot.

Honestly I
Bright Star
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2019
“We see all the dark places in the world, and we still stand up. We still fight.”

This series continues to amaze me.
I LOVED Reign the Earth, it was one of the best books I've ever read, and I couldn't imagine the sequel could live up to it. How wrong I was. Imprison the Sky was another masterpiece. We have a new strong female character, a new story, a new challenge, and I fell in love with this book from the first page. The icing on the cake was the appearance of Shalia, Galen and all the other
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
I am really enjoying this series!
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Since it had been so long since I had read Reign the Earth, I was a little worried that I would find it difficult to delve back into this world. I was a bit confused when I started reading because, until Kairos arrives a few chapters in, none of the characters from Reign the Earth make an appearance. Luckily, Imprison the Sky ultimately does a great job of introducing this new cast of characters while also reminding the reader of the events of the first book.

Although it took me a while to warm
Darcy (Daydreamingofbookdragons)
I really enjoyed this, not quite as much as Reign the Earth, but still a solid sequel. I was slightly confused at the beginning, but that might have been because I was distracted by Billie Eilish's new album. (On a side note, I am obsessed with ilomilo). This does have some LGBT+ representation, although I wish it expanded on it a bit more.
David
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, library
This book came to me through Book Expo. Solid writing, like the first story. This story introduces new character with a new narrator with different goals and challenges elsewhere in Orbis Elementa. A terrific sequel to Reign The Earth. Would recommend.
Jessica (a GREAT read)
I received this ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest and voluntary review. I was in no way compensated for this review.

It feels like ages since I read the first The Elementae book by A.C. Gaughen, Reign the Earth and diving into the second installment, Imprison the Sky, was a little more difficult than I thought it would be. Mostly because we center around new characters, although, Aspasia did make an appearance in the first book, I just don’t remember it all that well, so to me it
Jun
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this book took my breath away. Its packed with fast paced action, adventures, emotional scenes that will bring you to your knees, bawling and most of all elemental badassery!

The protagonist, Aspasia, is a complexly layered character yet her drive and motivation is quite simple that it makes it easy to connect to her storyline.

“You may control air, but you have veins of solid steel”

Now I'm all for flawed characters but Aspasia's charm is not that she's imperfect, it's that she acknowledge it
Lissa Hawley
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't have time to re-read Reign the Earth before I read this one, and having just finished, I am a bit indecisive as to whether that is a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe both.

It seemed problematic when I started Imprison the Sky because I felt like I remembered nothing and had no idea who anyone was. Then as I got into the story (it sucked me in completely regardless!) I remembered bits from RtE and realized I would have mostly been clueless anyway. Which is when I switched my opinion on
Monica
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The whole basis of this book is surrounded by Slavery. I was a little nervous going into reading this book just because I wasn’t sure how it was going to go.
But my god did this book step up and deliver all the right checkboxes.
Aspasia is one of those morally gray seeming characters at first but she has a heart of gold that will do anything for family.
Kairos my sweet child is in this book from book one and has gone through some stuff to end up with Asapsia.
This book has a ship full of badass
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Soul of the Sword (Shadow of the Fox, #2)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • Through the White Wood
  • Sherwood
  • Bloodleaf (Bloodleaf, #1)
  • Honor Bound (The Honors, #2)
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Traitor's Kingdom (The Traitor's Circle, #3)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
I am shamelessly addicted to staying up far too late (it feels like stealing time), diet coke (it burns so good), Scotland (stupid country stole my heart and won't give it back. Interpol has been ineffective for prosecution) and thieves (so I guess I'm not that mad at Scotland).

Want to know more? Just ask!

The Elementae (2 books)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)