Start by marking “Watch Us Rise” as Want to Read:
Watch Us Rise

Watch Us Rise

Jasmine and Chelsea are sick of the way women are treated even at their progressive NYC high school, so they decide to start a Women's Rights Club. They post everything online—poems, essays, videos of Chelsea performing her poetry, and Jasmine's response to the racial macroaggressions she experiences—and soon they go viral. But with such positive support, the club is also ...more
Expected publication: February 12th 2019 by Bloomsbury YA

To ask other readers questions about Watch Us Rise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Watch Us Rise

Dylan
5 stars.

Absolutely amazing. One of the greatest takes on feminism - and more importantly, intersectional feminism that I've seen in a very long time. WATCH US RISE has amazing characters, writing, pacing, message, and so much power.

I cannot wait for this to come out next February because I am sure that this will change the YA book community.

Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
I'm going to talk a little about the book, but mostly share some quotes.  This book has a lot of blog posts, playlists, and poems.  Warning for death of a parent (cancer), racism, sexism, fat shaming, slut shaming, harassment.  There may be more, but each of these things are covered in the book.

Watch Us Rise has two narrators, Jasmine and Chelsea.  They are best friends along with Isaac and Nadine.  The four of them have been activists (artivists) since they were young.  Each of them love a di
Pegi Ferrell
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Powerful, thought-provoking. The themes and messages are timely and timeless. Great for book club. Perfect for parent-child book club! Amazing poetry. Can't wait to share!
Shoshana
I don't yet have coherent words for the experience of reading this book. So powerful and wonderful.
Denise
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS BOOK!
Lucy
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is said to be great for fans of The Hate U Give and Moxie and I honestly couldn’t describe it better. I feel like this book screams The Hate U Give and Moxie, it’s literally like the two books combined (well, with some differences of course). I enjoyed both of those books and now this one is also one I’ve enjoyed.

Before I get started in this review, I’m not a huge feminist. It’s not that I don’t support feminism, but I’m just not as heavily into it as this book is yet I still thoroughl
Brittany
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
This was a dense, heavy look at feminism and racism and body shaming and grief. At times it felt a bit didactic and one or two of the characters definitely existed to be one-dimensional molds of the "racist person" and the reaction of the school to some of the questionable events that took place were unrealistic, but it's all forgivable. This book has so much to teach all of us. It begs to be read again and again.
Mrs. Krajewski
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jasmine and Chelsea are best friends who go to Amsterdam Heights, a NYC high school that requires all students to be a part of a club. When they realize there’s no club they want to join, they decide to create a Women’s Rights Club. They start with just the blog, and post their beautiful, inspirational poems and essays there. The blog takes off, and soon the principal wants to get rid of it. He’s concerned that the girls want to start a revolution, but so what if they do? What follows is exactly ...more
Alicia
While I think there could have been a bit of editing down, the overall message was spot-on and absolutely necessary and invigorating. I've already got several books on order for our school that align with students' wishes to see their voices recognized and heard. The womyn in the story are inspiring others to talk about themselves and others and lift everyone up, not tear anyone down.

It's a timely story that almost didn't need the additional family storylines as much as continuing to dive deeply
Marcia
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love love love the poetry in this book and the feminist story. I know many teens who will love this book and it will open their eyes to issues in new ways. The reason it's not 5 stars is that I found it to be a bit too didactic by the end. The authors may have sacrificed some story to make their points. In spite of that, it's well-written and will be a great addition to YA literature. I will be giving this to my students, both boys and girls, and asking them to talk about it. And I must say ag ...more
Casey Jo
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story. Raises some real topics, and hurray for teen activism in books!

4 stars instead of 5 mostly because I'm not sold on the two points of view. It's happening a lot, and I need to know there's a reason for it at this point. I would have been fine reading it all from Jasmine. I was reading an ARC without a cover, so bear that in mind when I say this, but I had a hard time figuring out that both voices weren't Black, fat girls until the scene went down where Chelsea bought
Lauren
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
What Moxie did for feminism, Watch Us Rise does for intersectional feminism. What a powerful story. I loved that the girls’ essays and poems were part of the book as well. Such an important thing to show the rights and wrongs of how authority figures, especially schools, treat outspoken women and people of color.
Michele Knott
This is one of those books you’re going to want to make sure all the female teens and preteens in your life get to read. You know what, never mind. Give it to ALL the teens and preteens.
Doni
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Even though it had a very strong message, it didn't feel overly didactic to me because the characters and setting the message was encased in felt believable.
Mary Librarian
Taryn (Taryn and Her Books)
Thank you SO much to the publisher for sending me an advance copy in exchange for an honest review!
Alison Glass
Jun 29, 2018
Tiffany Otto
Nov 25, 2018
Chelsea
Feb 19, 2018 marked it as on-deck
- dual POV contemporary (black MC and white MC)
- feminist blog

Nov 07, 2018
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Jun 13, 2018 marked it as releases-2019
feminist blogger girls!!
Renée Watson is the author of the children’s picture book, A Place Where Hurricanes Happen (Random House, June 2010), which was featured on NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams. Her middle grade novel, What Momma Left Me debuted as the New Voice for 2010 in middle grade fiction by The Independent Children's Booksellers Association.

Renée’s one woman show, Roses are Red, Women are Blue, debuted at N