Start by marking “Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)” as Want to Read:
Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)

Serpent & Dove

(Serpent & Dove #1)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  15,003 ratings  ·  3,633 reviews
This is a previously published edition of ISBN 9780062878021. An alternate cover edition can be found here.

Bound as one to love, honor, or burn.

Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.

Sworn to
Published September 3rd 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Serpent & Dove, please sign up.
theStorykeeper Sex is NOT always part of a relationship (congrats on being acephobic!), especially not when teenagers are involved (which I'm assuming is the case…moreSex is NOT always part of a relationship (congrats on being acephobic!), especially not when teenagers are involved (which I'm assuming is the case here, as it's labeled YA)! If you want sex in books, there is a whole entire genre out there for you - they're called adult romance novels. Those of us who don't want to read about sex deserve a space, too.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Laura I think the general assumption is that she's the equivalent of La Dame des Sorcières for the Dame Rouge? I know that La Voisin was a french…moreI think the general assumption is that she's the equivalent of La Dame des Sorcières for the Dame Rouge? I know that La Voisin was a french fortune-teller in the 17th century, and that it literally translates to "The Neighbor" so I'm getting that vibe, otherwise La Voisin was not previously mentioned in the novel. (less)

·  15,003 ratings  ·  3,633 reviews

Start your review of Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
Regan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
sooooo much fun!
Emily May
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Now move, or I swear to God, I will strip naked right here and dance the bourree!”
I thrust my hands on my hips and looked at him expectantly.
He didn’t even glance at the people around us. […]
Instead, he kept his eyes trained on mine, a slow smirk spreading across his face.
“Do it.”

Don't judge me! I can feel your judgement! I know, I know, I liked a YA fantasy, not even in spite of the romance but because of it. What is the world coming to?

I gotta say this right because many people I interact
✨ A ✨
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loved Nina and Matthias from SoC
Few things compare to that feeling you get after finishing a book that lived up to your expectations. Ever since I read the blurb of this book I knew I was going to love this and I WAS NOT DISSAPOINTED.

It had everything I adore:

• addictive; easy writing
• enemies-to-lovers
• marriage of convenience
• witch/witch hunter romance
• slow burn
• intricate magical system
• heart warming female friendship
• morally grey characters
• inner battle of right and wrong

In the land of Belterra witches are
Emma Giordano
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars! Such a beautifully rich fantasy debut. I was so pleasantly surprised to find how attached I became to the characters and overall story. This is not a book you are going to want to miss!

Full review to come.

I received a copy of this book from Harper Teen in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t attending to the star giving auctions for too long but finally I FOUND A… ( oh no I couldn’t find an adjective to express my feelings about this book. Fantastic! No! Too weak! Extraordinary! No! Not emphasizing my emotions enough! Okay let’s get over this auction as I resume my brain storming to find the right words!)

One zillion stars… Did I hear three zillion! What the hell! Five gazillion! What! One jillion, one jillion! Okay two, three jillion! Oh the read head crazy lady already
jessica
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
for the first time ever, i picked up a book without knowing anything about it. i didnt read the synopsis, not the back cover, nothing. and i have no idea if thats why im rating this so highly - because everything was such an exciting surprise - or what, but wow. this had me hooked!

the first thing that i noticed right away was the writing. my gosh, this does not read like a debut novel. this feels as if its written by a seasoned fantasy author. its utterly divine.

and the content is sooo magical.
ELLIAS (elliasreads)

Shelves: favorite, fangirling
EDIT: SO EFFING PROUD TO KNOW THAT PEOPLE GOT THE NINA AND MATTHIAS RELEVANCE

THIS BOOK FUCKING CURED MY NINA AND MATTHIAS DEFICIENCY

IT'S LIKE -- A MARRIAGE BETWEEN MANORIAN AND NITTHIAS

MINAAEMIC PATIENTS WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

WITCH BLOOD DESCENDENTS WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR? DO NOT DISGRACE YOUR ANCESTORS!!!

insert Ellie Goulding quote

OH AND PLEASE TAKE THIS IN HIGH DOSES -- 49 TIMES A DAY

P.S. i have a weird satisfaction saying these words witch's blood
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
September Fairyloot Unboxing! As usual, click on the GOODIES LINK under the pic to see the Goodies!

THE GOODIES LINK

She said, "You broke my ass bone!" I can’t

Sorry y’all everything is funny and good at the moment! I passed my cancer check up today!! 10/14/19

Mel
Warda
A perfectly, adequate YA fantasy story about witches and witch hunters that left me feeling lukewarm.
I went in with low expectations and came out of it not completely blown away by the story, which I expected. It was enjoyable, adorable, had its hilarious moments and the pacing was great.
I got out of it what I wanted.

Even though the story lacked for me when it came to the world building and character development, I feel like the groundwork has been laid and I hope it’s build upon in the
Chelsea Humphrey
"A witch and a witch hunter bound in holy matrimony. There was only one way such a story could end-a stake and a match."

I don't know about you, but I find it is a rare day that the hype beast lives up to it's nature, and what a glorious feeling it is when a book lives up to the promises doled out by publishers and early reviewers alike. Serpent & Dove deserves every bit of praise that has been heaped upon it's name, and it will be a most excruciating wait for the second installment. If you
Helena of Eretz ✰
WOWWW!!! This was amazing! What a stunning début! I did NOT think, going into this, that it would be earning itself a place on my favourites shelf! If uni hadn't been such a hindrance (lol whyyy), I'd have absolutely torn through this in one sitting! If this is what Shelby Mahurin has to offer, I'm excited for what's to come in the future!

description

This was an enemies-to-lovers romance, reminiscent of Matthias and Nina from Six of Crows (aka my OTP of the series), but instead of Grisha, Lou was a witch
Irina
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this is definetly one of the best books that i've read this year
Whitney Atkinson
the people who dislike this book are wrong, and that's just facts.

(i'm kidding--i love u and your reading tastes very much. muah.)

I'll preface this review by saying I typically don't enjoy books about witchcraft, so I was nervous going into this one. For me, books about magic walk a fine line of being too silly, which really takes me out of the world and makes it seem more childish instead of its intended intensity. But this book, its writing, and its world COMPLETELY captured me.

My favorite
Zainab
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
My dudes, this book was....something.

Okay so the only time I actually like romance in a book is if it starts off with hate. Dude I love hate. So obviously I was very excited for this book and it did not disappoint- well at least the first 300 pages didn't.
The thing is, I really liked Reid at first because I thought he was chivalrous and all but there's a difference between chivalry and being a dumbass and our beloved Reid is a cringey dumbass.
The romance was sudden and cringey and made me want
arini
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
#1 serpent & dove
#2 blood & honey (tbr)

ahh i love this book so freaking much!! and i've been walking on air since i finished it. this is an impressive debut novel that doesnt feel like one at all bcs of how outstanding the author’s writing craftsmanship is.

im not good with summarizing, but basically this book is about two sworn enemies who, after a stunt gone wrong, are forced into a matrimony. however, there’s more to this book than just the slow burn enemies to lovers blooming
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
3.5 Stars

I picked this up because I saw it being touted in some places around GR and booktube as a "racy" YA romance that was (perhaps) edgy enough for some people to feel it should have been classified more as New Adult a la ACOTAR.

And because I had a Barnes and Noble gift card burning a hole in my pocket.
So I picked up this and Ninth House.
And perhaps a couple other things.

description

It also felt very season appropriate to read about witches and buy black books with snakes on the covers. Very
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I DARE ANYONE TO NOT LOVE THIS BOOK!

Being stubborn as I am, I was hesitant about letting myself love this book because I saw how much others loved it (I am stupid like that!). So when I started I was hard at work trying to find flaws with it. And sure, it find one or two, but soon they fled my mind completely I was just swept up in this story! This is the first time since I was a teenager that I have stayed up waaaay past midnight because I couldn't stop reading!

"I promised to love and
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from you, (...)
Where you go, I will go.
Where you stay, I will stay.

Story
“For her sixteenth birthday, Louise le Blanc’s mother gave her three things:
A sacrificial altar,
A ritual knife
And a wicked scar.”
That was the description I read when I first saw this book on Goodreads and boooooooy I was so hooked.
And then when it reappeared on my dashboard there was another thing that caught my interest. A witch and witch hunter hate-to-love-trope.
And what
Lucy Langford
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS!!! All the stars for this witchy goodness!!!

A witch and a witch hunter bound in holy matrimony. There was only one way such a story could end- a stake and a match.

The war between the witches and the church is ancient and ongoing. Louise is a witch who has runaway from her coven and takes cover in the city of Cesarine. She made the decision to forsake all magic and live off whatever she could steal. In the city of Cesarine it is dangerous to be a witch. They are hunted and they are
Hamad
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This Review Blog Twitter Instagram

“Wicked are the ways of women—and especially a witch. Their guile knows no bounds.”

I have been very picky lately with YA series and I am just trying to finish the series I already started and not starting anything new! I am doing this to focus on adult fantasy series which I have been into lately. I can’t deny that I am a very curious person and when one book receives as much hype as this one did and when I see all of my friends talking about it and
♡ ᴅ ʀ ᴇ ᴀ ᴍ ♡ (semi-hiatus)
5 / 5 stars

Hey, Shelby Mahurin. I think you made a great mistake. In the book, it stated that Lou is a criminal, right? But nah, I don’t think she is. Because the true criminal is YOU! YOU YOU YOU YOU and ONLY YOU! You are accused of killing me and other readers who’re in love with this book. How can I live without having book 2 to read after finishing this? I have to wait for 324 DAYS FROM NOW to read Blood & Honey. it’s almost one year and that’s totally CRUELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

🌻darmera🌻
Like a 3.5, with a bit of generosity on my part - if nothing else the romance wasn't entirely cringeworthy, which is a win for a ya fantasy in my book
Nick
Nov 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
this book is thriving
Jordan
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read SERPENT & DOVE before publication, and it quickly became one of my favorite books of all time. If you're a fan of Sarah J Maas' mature themes, then this is a MUST-READ. Below I've jotted some other reasons to pick this up. Don't mind my scrambled brain. Also, PICK THIS BOOK UP. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

Things SERPENT & DOVE has that I never knew I needed until the second I did (in random order... because I said so):

1. Forced Marriage: I swooned with the rest of
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
A witch/witch hunter love story?? Yes please gimme gimme gimme
☽ TheBibliotheque
WITCHES BE BACK with my favourite fantasy book this year.

"Conscious of the Chasseurs' eyes on me, I forced a smirk and bumped my husband's hip, pretending that it'd all been a show. A laugh. That I'd just been goading him to get a reaction. That I wasn't a witch in Mass, standing amongst my enemies and worshipping someone else's god.
Our lives reflect our hearts.
They might've all been hypocrites, but I was the biggest of them all."

What a splendid debut. What a freaking phenomenal first book of a
Sylvie
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.75 rounded up to 5, because it's worth it!

After finishing the book more than two weeks ago and shortly writing a review after I now decided to finally post the review.
description

Does anyone ever have a certain feeling where you love a book so much that you try to read as slowly as possible, just because you’re loving everything about it and don’t want it to end? Yep, that was me with this book.

At first, I was so nervous to pick this book up, because whenever I see a book that's getting all the hypes I
Candace Robinson
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I read this blurb, I was like, count me in! Witchy is my name and witchy wars are my game! However, I wasn't sure what I would get, but what I got is one of my favorite books of the year!

I loved both points of views! Lou was ambitious, perfectly flawed, spoke what was on her mind, and down right awesome. Reid was strong willed, innocent yet not innocent, and so dang swoony! And the chemistry between Lou and Reid was so freaking good! Don't let me forget the side characters! Coco!

• The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Bone Houses
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4)
  • The Lady Rogue
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
Shelby Mahurin grew up on a small farm in rural Indiana, where sticks became wands and cows became dragons. Her rampant imagination didn't fade with age, so she continues to play make-believe every day—with words now instead of cows. When not writing, Shelby watches the Office and obsesses over her Twitter feed. She still lives near that childhood farm with her very tall husband, semi-feral ...more

Serpent & Dove (2 books)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
“I loved her. Despite everything. Despite the lies, the betrayal, the hurt. Despite the Archbishop and Morgane le Blanc. Despite my own brothers. I don't know if she returned that love, and I didn't care. If she was destined to burn in Hell, I would burn with her.” 48 likes
“I was no one's sacrifice. Not then. Not now. Not ever.” 41 likes