Start by marking “Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)” as Want to Read:
Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)

Serpent & Dove

(Serpent & Dove #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  62,443 ratings  ·  11,380 reviews
This is a previously published edition of ISBN 9780062878021. An alternate cover edition can be found here.

Bound as one to love, honor, or burn.

Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.

Sworn to
Published September 3rd 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Serpent & Dove, please sign up.
theStorykeeper Sex is NOT always part of a relationship (congrats on being acephobic!), especially not when teenagers are involved (which I'm assuming is the case he…moreSex is NOT always part of a relationship (congrats on being acephobic!), especially not when teenagers are involved (which I'm assuming is the case here, as it's labeled YA)! If you want sex in books, there is a whole entire genre out there for you - they're called adult romance novels. Those of us who don't want to read about sex deserve a space, too.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Laura I think the general assumption is that she's the equivalent of La Dame des Sorcières for the Dame Rouge? I know that La Voisin was a french fortune-te…moreI think the general assumption is that she's the equivalent of La Dame des Sorcières for the Dame Rouge? I know that La Voisin was a french fortune-teller in the 17th century, and that it literally translates to "The Neighbor" so I'm getting that vibe, otherwise La Voisin was not previously mentioned in the novel. (less)

·  62,443 ratings  ·  11,380 reviews

Start your review of Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
✨ A ✨
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loved Nina and Matthias from SoC
First Read July 2019

Few things compare to that feeling you get after finishing a book that lived up to your expectations. Ever since I read the blurb of this book I knew I was going to love this and I WAS NOT DISSAPOINTED.

It had everything I adore:

• addictive; easy writing
• enemies-to-lovers
• marriage of convenience
• witch/witch hunter romance
• slow burn
• intricate magical system
• heart warming female friendship
• morally grey characters
• inner battle of right and wrong

In the land of Belte
Emily May
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
“Now move, or I swear to God, I will strip naked right here and dance the bourree!”
I thrust my hands on my hips and looked at him expectantly.
He didn’t even glance at the people around us. […]
Instead, he kept his eyes trained on mine, a slow smirk spreading across his face.
“Do it.”

Don't judge me! I can feel your judgement! I know, I know, I liked a YA fantasy, not even in spite of the romance but because of it. What is the world coming to?

I gotta say this right because many people I interact
Kat
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
it seems almost wrong to rate this bc it feels like i'm reviewing a fan fiction that i read at 3 am

there are a bunch of complaints i have about the craft of this book, but at the same time it was a whirlwind of a story that kept me wildly entertained even as i physically stopped myself from rolling my eyes every other chapter.

therefore, it sits right between a one (for quality) and a three (for fun).

although if i EVER see the phrase "big titty liddy" again it's on sight
Cindy
Jan 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
This is one of the most ridiculous books I've read this year and it's only January. It has such an absurd setup for the plot, clumsy characterization, and the humor lands very poorly (I cringed every time the main character would loudly sing "Big Titty Liddy"). I did like the 1 sex scene though.
Regan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
sooooo much fun!
NReads
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I know I know this does not have the qualities of a 5 star book. The magic system is nonsense and undeveloped. I have never read fanfiction in my life but this book sure felt like one. However I really really enjoyed it. Reid reminds me so much of myself because I too was raised into a family where there were no curses, and even as an adult now it still feels kinda awkward when someone curses near me.
Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
"It doesn’t end in death. It ends in hope."

description

Let me tell you about my favourite NA fantasy book of 2019.
_______________

A Story About A Witch Getting Hitched But Much More.
Serpent and Dove stole my heart in so many ways and all I want to do is go back and read it all over again. This lush tale full of magic and intrigue is wildly imaginative but soft at the same time and if you're a fan of romance + fantasy, I highly recommend trying this!

description ©

The sales pitch;
- enemies to lovers
- k
chan ☆
Mar 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, ya-fantasy
petition to change the name of this book to the never ending story

reading my twitter followers' most disappointing books of 2019
 Teodora
5/5 ⭐

Full review on my Blog: The Dacian She-Wolf 🐺

This book's mood song match - Witching Hour by In This Moment

description

When other girls were playing with their dolls, pretending to be princesses like Rapunzel or Cinderella or whatever, I was hiding in my secret place aka a huge linden tree at the very back of my family’s orchard and pretending that I had the ability to control the elements.

I was basically running around pretending I’m flying on a stick, bending the wind at my will and “magically” t
Emma Giordano
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars! Such a beautifully rich fantasy debut. I was so pleasantly surprised to find how attached I became to the characters and overall story. This is not a book you are going to want to miss!

Full review to come.

I received a copy of this book from Harper Teen in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t attending to the star giving auctions for too long but finally I FOUND A… ( oh no I couldn’t find an adjective to express my feelings about this book. Fantastic! No! Too weak! Extraordinary! No! Not emphasizing my emotions enough! Okay let’s get over this auction as I resume my brain storming to find the right words!)

One zillion stars… Did I hear three zillion! What the hell! Five gazillion! What! One jillion, one jillion! Okay two, three jillion! Oh the read head crazy lady already wro
Cardan Greenbriar
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: for fans of To Kill A Kingdom, Matthias and Nina, Manon Blackbeak (and yes there is a Manon)
Shelves: fangirling, favorite
DOES THE SERPENT CHASE THE DOVE?

OR DOES THE DOVE CHASE THE SERPENT?

BOTH!

BUT! I WILL CHASE YOU ON MY FLYING BROOM IF YOU DON'T GIVE THIS ONE A TRY

THIS BOOK FUCKING CURED MY NINA AND MATTHIAS DEFICIENCY

IT'S LIKE -- A MARRIAGE BETWEEN MANORIAN AND NITTHIAS

MINAAEMIC PATIENTS WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

WITCH BLOOD DESCENDENTS WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR? DO NOT DISGRACE YOUR ANCESTORS!!!

insert Ellie Goulding quote

OH AND PLEASE TAKE THIS IN HIGH DOSES -- 49 TIMES A DAY

P.S. i ha
jessica
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
for the first time ever, i picked up a book without knowing anything about it. i didnt read the synopsis, not the back cover, nothing. and i have no idea if thats why im rating this so highly - because everything was such an exciting surprise - or what, but wow. this had me hooked!

the first thing that i noticed right away was the writing. my gosh, this does not read like a debut novel. this feels as if its written by a seasoned fantasy author. its utterly divine.

and the content is sooo magical.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
4.5 stars. Reread on Audio 2020

*********

September Fairyloot Unboxing! As usual, click on the GOODIES LINK under the pic to see the Goodies!

THE GOODIES LINK

She said, "You broke my ass bone!" I can’t 🤣😂

Sorry y’all everything is funny and good at the moment! I passed my cancer check up today!! 10/14/19

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Irina
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
this is definetly one of the best books that i've read this year
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy Fuck.

*deceased*.

Full review to come.
MischaS_
This was a rather hard review to write. I have to say that it seems that with hyped/popular books, it seems that I either love them or hate them; unfortunately, this was the latter.

This book having an average 4,15* and 4,11* friends' average rating, seemed like a sure good read. Especially since even people who I "always" agree with seemed to like this book, the thing is while many people recommended this book to me, I still cannot blame it on having too high expectations for it. I honestly did
Arini
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

[2nd Read]

4 Stars

All the controversies and mixed reviews that have been surfacing the GR platform since the book was published made this re-read less fun. I kept thinking about the bad things people were saying. Enough to make me question myself, but not to the point where I didn’t . . . still enjoy the book.

(Read as an Audiobook)
___________________________

[1st Read]

4.5 Stars

Ahh I love this book so freaking much!! and I’ve been walking on air since I finished it. This is an impressive debut
Warda
A perfectly, adequate YA fantasy story about witches and witch hunters that left me feeling lukewarm.
I went in with low expectations and came out of it not completely blown away by the story, which I expected. It was enjoyable, adorable, had its hilarious moments and the pacing was great.
I got out of it what I wanted.

Even though the story lacked for me when it came to the world building and character development, I feel like the groundwork has been laid and I hope it’s build upon in the seque
Whitney Atkinson
the people who dislike this book are wrong, and that's just facts.

(i'm kidding--i love u and your reading tastes very much. muah.)

I'll preface this review by saying I typically don't enjoy books about witchcraft, so I was nervous going into this one. For me, books about magic walk a fine line of being too silly, which really takes me out of the world and makes it seem more childish instead of its intended intensity. But this book, its writing, and its world COMPLETELY captured me.

My favorite pa
Chelsea Humphrey
"A witch and a witch hunter bound in holy matrimony. There was only one way such a story could end-a stake and a match."

I don't know about you, but I find it is a rare day that the hype beast lives up to it's nature, and what a glorious feeling it is when a book lives up to the promises doled out by publishers and early reviewers alike. Serpent & Dove deserves every bit of praise that has been heaped upon it's name, and it will be a most excruciating wait for the second installment. If you have
Helena of Eretz ✰
WOWWW!!! This was amazing! What a stunning début! I did NOT think, going into this, that it would be earning itself a place on my favourites shelf! If uni hadn't been such a hindrance (lol whyyy), I'd have absolutely torn through this in one sitting! If this is what Shelby Mahurin has to offer, I'm excited for what's to come in the future!

description

This was an enemies-to-lovers romance, reminiscent of Matthias and Nina from Six of Crows (aka my OTP of the series), but instead of Grisha, Lou was a witch an
Lily ☁️
Every once in a while, all that goes through your mind after you finish a book, and stare blankly at the last page is: how did this get published?

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | TumblrBloglovin’
Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I DARE ANYONE TO NOT LOVE THIS BOOK! ❤️

Being stubborn as I am, I was hesitant about letting myself love this book because I saw how much others loved it (I am stupid like that!). So when I started I was hard at work trying to find flaws with it. And sure, I did find one or two, but soon they fled my mind completely - I was just swept up in this story! This is the first time since I was a teenager that I have stayed up waaaay past midnight because I couldn't stop reading! ❤️

"I promised to
Zainab
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
My dudes, this book was....something.

Okay so the only time I actually like romance in a book is if it starts off with hate. Dude I love hate. So obviously I was very excited for this book and it did not disappoint- well at least the first 300 pages didn't.
The thing is, I really liked Reid at first because I thought he was chivalrous and all but there's a difference between chivalry and being a dumbass and our beloved Reid is a cringey dumbass.
The romance was sudden and cringey and made me want t
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
3.5 Stars

I picked this up because I saw it being touted in some places around GR and booktube as a "racy" YA romance that was (perhaps) edgy enough for some people to feel it should have been classified more as New Adult a la ACOTAR.

And because I had a Barnes and Noble gift card burning a hole in my pocket.
So I picked up this and Ninth House.
And perhaps a couple other things.

description

It also felt very season appropriate to read about witches and buy black books with snakes on the covers. Very Hallowe
Cristina Monica
Serpent & Dove is one of those fantastic fantasy books that completely deserve being devoured, as slowly or as fast as you wish. It will increase your interest with each new chapter, so much that its 500 pages will have felt like 300 by the end. Shelby Mahurin doesn’t reinvent witches, but she does do something interesting with the concept and the use of magic. The forbidden love part sure was exciting, too, and I dare say I’m counting down the days until the release of book 2.

If I have one com
Lucy Langford
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
”I was no one's sacrifice. Not then. Not now. Not ever.”

Still a fantastic read the second time around- I adore Lou as a character and I am eagerly anticipating the sequel towards the end of this year.

Original review:

I LOVED THIS!!! All the stars for this witchy goodness!!! 🧙‍♀️

A witch and a witch hunter bound in holy matrimony. There was only one way such a story could end- a stake and a match.

The war between the witches and the church is ancient and ongoing. Louise is a witch who has runaway
megs_bookrack
Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Louise Le Blanc is a young witch with the following world view: Witches are good, Chasseurs are bad.

Good versus evil; there is no in between.

But when her own mother tries to kill her, she is forced to flee her coven and the world suddenly seems a bit more complicated.

Maybe everything isn't as black and white as she thought?

Reid Diggory has lived a very different life than Lou. As a Chasseur he abides by the creed 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.'

The Chasseurs, employed by the Church, a

• The Shadows Between Us
  • From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
Shelby Mahurin grew up on a small farm in rural Indiana, where sticks became wands and cows became dragons. Her rampant imagination didn't fade with age, so she continues to play make-believe every day—with words now instead of cows. When not writing, Shelby watches the Office and obsesses over her Twitter feed. She still lives near that childhood farm with her very tall husband, semi-feral toddle ...more

Serpent & Dove (3 books)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • Gods & Monsters (Serpent & Dove, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Don’t you just hate that feeling of falling head over heels for a new series...and then having to wait anxiously (sometimes for years!) for...
“I loved her. Despite everything. Despite the lies, the betrayal, the hurt. Despite the Archbishop and Morgane le Blanc. Despite my own brothers. I don't know if she returned that love, and I didn't care. If she was destined to burn in Hell, I would burn with her.” 212 likes
“I was no one's sacrifice. Not then. Not now. Not ever.” 157 likes