Start by marking “Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)” as Want to Read:
Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)

Serpent & Dove

(Serpent & Dove #1)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  25,741 ratings  ·  5,713 reviews
This is a previously published edition of ISBN 9780062878021. An alternate cover edition can be found here.

Bound as one to love, honor, or burn.

Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.

Sworn to
Published September 3rd 2019 by HarperTeen

Win a Copy of This Book

• Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin
    Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
    Release date: Sep 03, 2019
    "A brilliant debut, full of everything I love." —Sarah J. Maas

Enter for the chance to win a copy of SERPENT & DOVE, a tale of witchcraft and

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 7266 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Feb 17 - Mar 16, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Serpent & Dove, please sign up.
    theStorykeeper Sex is NOT always part of a relationship (congrats on being acephobic!), especially not when teenagers are involved (which I'm assuming is the case…moreSex is NOT always part of a relationship (congrats on being acephobic!), especially not when teenagers are involved (which I'm assuming is the case here, as it's labeled YA)! If you want sex in books, there is a whole entire genre out there for you - they're called adult romance novels. Those of us who don't want to read about sex deserve a space, too.(less)
    This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
    Laura I think the general assumption is that she's the equivalent of La Dame des Sorcières for the Dame Rouge? I know that La Voisin was a french…moreI think the general assumption is that she's the equivalent of La Dame des Sorcières for the Dame Rouge? I know that La Voisin was a french fortune-teller in the 17th century, and that it literally translates to "The Neighbor" so I'm getting that vibe, otherwise La Voisin was not previously mentioned in the novel. (less)

·  25,741 ratings  ·  5,713 reviews

Start your review of Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
    Emily May
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
    “Now move, or I swear to God, I will strip naked right here and dance the bourree!”
    I thrust my hands on my hips and looked at him expectantly.
    He didn’t even glance at the people around us. […]
    Instead, he kept his eyes trained on mine, a slow smirk spreading across his face.
    “Do it.”

Don't judge me! I can feel your judgement! I know, I know, I liked a YA fantasy, not even in spite of the romance but because of it. What is the world coming to?

I gotta say this right because many people I interact
    Regan
    Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
    sooooo much fun!
    ✨ A ✨
    Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: Anyone who loved Nina and Matthias from SoC
    Few things compare to that feeling you get after finishing a book that lived up to your expectations. Ever since I read the blurb of this book I knew I was going to love this and I WAS NOT DISSAPOINTED.

It had everything I adore:

• addictive; easy writing
    • enemies-to-lovers
    • marriage of convenience
    • witch/witch hunter romance
    • slow burn
    • intricate magical system
    • heart warming female friendship
    • morally grey characters
    • inner battle of right and wrong

In the land of Belterra witches are
    Cindy Pham
    Jan 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
    This is one of the most ridiculous books I've read this year and it's only January. It has such an absurd setup for the plot, clumsy characterization, and the humor lands very poorly (I cringed every time the main character would loudly sing "Big Titty Liddy"). I did like the 1 sex scene though.
    Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰
    "It doesn’t end in death. It ends in hope."

description

Let me tell you about my favourite NA fantasy book of 2019.
    _______________

A Story About A Witch Getting Hitched But Much More.
    Serpent and Dove stole my heart in so many ways and all I want to do is go back and read it all over again. This lush tale full of magic and intrigue is wildly imaginative but soft at the same time and if you're a fan of romance + fantasy, I highly recommend trying this!

The sales pitch;
    - enemies to lovers
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I wasn’t attending to the star giving auctions for too long but finally I FOUND A… ( oh no I couldn’t find an adjective to express my feelings about this book. Fantastic! No! Too weak! Extraordinary! No! Not emphasizing my emotions enough! Okay let’s get over this auction as I resume my brain storming to find the right words!)

One zillion stars… Did I hear three zillion! What the hell! Five gazillion! What! One jillion, one jillion! Okay two, three jillion! Oh the read head crazy lady already
    Emma Giordano
    May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
    4.5 Stars! Such a beautifully rich fantasy debut. I was so pleasantly surprised to find how attached I became to the characters and overall story. This is not a book you are going to want to miss!

Full review to come.

I received a copy of this book from Harper Teen in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
    Kat
    Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: fantasy
    it seems almost wrong to rate this bc it feels like i'm reviewing a fan fiction that i read at 3 am

there are a bunch of complaints i have about the craft of this book, but at the same time it was a whirlwind of a story that kept me wildly entertained even as i physically stopped myself from rolling my eyes every other chapter.

therefore, it sits right between a one (for quality) and a three (for fun).

although if i EVER see the phrase "big titty liddy" again it's on sight
    jessica
    Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    for the first time ever, i picked up a book without knowing anything about it. i didnt read the synopsis, not the back cover, nothing. and i have no idea if thats why im rating this so highly - because everything was such an exciting surprise - or what, but wow. this had me hooked!

the first thing that i noticed right away was the writing. my gosh, this does not read like a debut novel. this feels as if its written by a seasoned fantasy author. its utterly divine.

and the content is sooo magical.
    Cardan Greenbriar -- long Hiatus ( on honeymoon with Jude)
    Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Recommends it for: for fans of To Kill A Kingdom, Matthias and Nina, Manon Blackbeak (and yes there is a Manon)
    Shelves: fangirling, favorite
    DOES THE SERPENT CHASE THE DOVE?

OR DOES THE DOVE CHASE THE SERPENT?

BOTH!

BUT! I WILL CHASE YOU ON MY FLYING BROOM IF YOU DON'T GIVE THIS ONE A TRY

THIS BOOK FUCKING CURED MY NINA AND MATTHIAS DEFICIENCY

IT'S LIKE -- A MARRIAGE BETWEEN MANORIAN AND NITTHIAS

MINAAEMIC PATIENTS WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

WITCH BLOOD DESCENDENTS WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR? DO NOT DISGRACE YOUR ANCESTORS!!!

insert Ellie Goulding quote

OH AND PLEASE TAKE THIS IN HIGH DOSES -- 49 TIMES A DAY

P.S. i
    Irina
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    this is definetly one of the best books that i've read this year
    Nick
    Nov 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
    if this is a "Nina and Matthias" type of relationship, I swear I'll eat it up in one bite
    ELLIAS (elliasreads)
    Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Holy Fuck.

*deceased*.

Full review to come.
    Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
    September Fairyloot Unboxing! As usual, click on the GOODIES LINK under the pic to see the Goodies!

THE GOODIES LINK

She said, "You broke my ass bone!" I can’t

Sorry y’all everything is funny and good at the moment! I passed my cancer check up today!! 10/14/19

Mel
    Warda
    A perfectly, adequate YA fantasy story about witches and witch hunters that left me feeling lukewarm.
    I went in with low expectations and came out of it not completely blown away by the story, which I expected. It was enjoyable, adorable, had its hilarious moments and the pacing was great.
    I got out of it what I wanted.

Even though the story lacked for me when it came to the world building and character development, I feel like the groundwork has been laid and I hope it’s build upon in the
    Whitney Atkinson
    the people who dislike this book are wrong, and that's just facts.

(i'm kidding--i love u and your reading tastes very much. muah.)

I'll preface this review by saying I typically don't enjoy books about witchcraft, so I was nervous going into this one. For me, books about magic walk a fine line of being too silly, which really takes me out of the world and makes it seem more childish instead of its intended intensity. But this book, its writing, and its world COMPLETELY captured me.

My favorite
    arini ☆彡
    Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites
    #1 serpent & dove — 4.5 stars
    #2 blood & honey (tbr)

ahh i love this book so freaking much!! and i've been walking on air since i finished it. this is an impressive debut novel that doesnt feel like one at all bcs of how outstanding the author’s writing craftsmanship is.

im not good with summarizing, but basically this book is about two sworn enemies who, after a stunt gone wrong, are forced into a matrimony. however, there’s more to this book than just the slow burn enemies to lovers
    Chelsea Humphrey
    "A witch and a witch hunter bound in holy matrimony. There was only one way such a story could end-a stake and a match."

I don't know about you, but I find it is a rare day that the hype beast lives up to it's nature, and what a glorious feeling it is when a book lives up to the promises doled out by publishers and early reviewers alike. Serpent & Dove deserves every bit of praise that has been heaped upon it's name, and it will be a most excruciating wait for the second installment. If you
    Helena of Eretz ✰
    WOWWW!!! This was amazing! What a stunning début! I did NOT think, going into this, that it would be earning itself a place on my favourites shelf! If uni hadn't been such a hindrance (lol whyyy), I'd have absolutely torn through this in one sitting! If this is what Shelby Mahurin has to offer, I'm excited for what's to come in the future!

description

This was an enemies-to-lovers romance, reminiscent of Matthias and Nina from Six of Crows (aka my OTP of the series), but instead of Grisha, Lou was a witch
    Maja  - BibliophiliaDK ✨
    Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I DARE ANYONE TO NOT LOVE THIS BOOK!

Being stubborn as I am, I was hesitant about letting myself love this book because I saw how much others loved it (I am stupid like that!). So when I started I was hard at work trying to find flaws with it. And sure, I did find one or two, but soon they fled my mind completely - I was just swept up in this story! This is the first time since I was a teenager that I have stayed up waaaay past midnight because I couldn't stop reading!

"I promised to love and
    Zainab
    Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: 2019-releases
    My dudes, this book was....something.

Okay so the only time I actually like romance in a book is if it starts off with hate. Dude I love hate. So obviously I was very excited for this book and it did not disappoint- well at least the first 300 pages didn't.
    The thing is, I really liked Reid at first because I thought he was chivalrous and all but there's a difference between chivalry and being a dumbass and our beloved Reid is a cringey dumbass.
    The romance was sudden and cringey and made me want
    Lucy Langford
    Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    ”I was no one's sacrifice. Not then. Not now. Not ever.”

Still a fantastic read the second time around- I adore Lou as a character and I am eagerly anticipating the sequel towards the end of this year.

Original review:

I LOVED THIS!!! All the stars for this witchy goodness!!!

A witch and a witch hunter bound in holy matrimony. There was only one way such a story could end- a stake and a match.

The war between the witches and the church is ancient and ongoing. Louise is a witch who has runaway from
    Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
    3.5 Stars

I picked this up because I saw it being touted in some places around GR and booktube as a "racy" YA romance that was (perhaps) edgy enough for some people to feel it should have been classified more as New Adult a la ACOTAR.

And because I had a Barnes and Noble gift card burning a hole in my pocket.
    So I picked up this and Ninth House.
    And perhaps a couple other things.

description

It also felt very season appropriate to read about witches and buy black books with snakes on the covers. Very
    Teodora
    life: you've got one project deadline and two exams this week, an incoming headache every single morning and a goddamn cold not letting you breathe like a normal person so you'd better get your shit together

me: just watch me start this book bitch, just watch me
    Lia
    "Why the fuck is everyone in this kingdom trying to murder my wife?"

And just like that, I fell in love forever.

I haven't laughed/suffered so much while reading a book in a very long time.
    I also just realized one of the reasons I liked this story so much is that the main characters remind me a lot of Matthias Helvar (my absolute favorite character from Six of Crows) and the gorgeous Nina Zenik. Their dynamic is very similar and they're both so beautifully characterized it's impossible not to
    Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from you, (...)
    Where you go, I will go.
    Where you stay, I will stay.

Story
    “For her sixteenth birthday, Louise le Blanc’s mother gave her three things:
    A sacrificial altar,
    A ritual knife
    And a wicked scar.”
    That was the description I read when I first saw this book on Goodreads and boooooooy I was so hooked.
    And then when it reappeared on my dashboard there was another thing that caught my interest. A witch and witch hunter hate-to-love-trope.
    And what
    🌻darmera🌻
    Like a 3.5, with a bit of generosity on my part - if nothing else the romance wasn't entirely cringeworthy, which is a win for a ya fantasy in my book
    Hamad
    Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
    This Review Blog Twitter Instagram

“Wicked are the ways of women—and especially a witch. Their guile knows no bounds.”

I have been very picky lately with YA series and I am just trying to finish the series I already started and not starting anything new! I am doing this to focus on adult fantasy series which I have been into lately. I can’t deny that I am a very curious person and when one book receives as much hype as this one did and when I see all of my friends talking about it and
    megs_bookrack
    Nov 22, 2019 rated it liked it
    Louise Le Blanc is a young witch who knows a few things about the world. For example, witches are good and the Chasseurs are bad.

Good versus evil. There is no room for an in between.

But when her own mother tries to kill her, she is forced to flee her coven and the world suddenly seems a bit more complicated.

Maybe everything isn't as black and white as she thought?

Reid Diggory has lived a very different life than Lou. As a Chasseur he abides by the creed 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.'

• The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
    • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
    • Sorcery of Thorns
    • House of Salt and Sorrows
    • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
    • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
    • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
    • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
    • The Bone Houses
    • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
    • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
    • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
    • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
    • Winterwood
    • Blood Heir (Blood Heir Trilogy, #1)
    • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
    • Capturing the Devil (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #4)
    • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
    Shelby Mahurin grew up on a small farm in rural Indiana, where sticks became wands and cows became dragons. Her rampant imagination didn't fade with age, so she continues to play make-believe every day—with words now instead of cows. When not writing, Shelby watches the Office and obsesses over her Twitter feed. She still lives near that childhood farm with her very tall husband, semi-feral ...more

Serpent & Dove (2 books)
    • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
    “I loved her. Despite everything. Despite the lies, the betrayal, the hurt. Despite the Archbishop and Morgane le Blanc. Despite my own brothers. I don't know if she returned that love, and I didn't care. If she was destined to burn in Hell, I would burn with her.” 86 likes
    “I was no one's sacrifice. Not then. Not now. Not ever.” 73 likes