Start by marking “Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)” as Want to Read:
Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)

Serpent & Dove

(Serpent & Dove #1)

Bound as one to love, honor, or burn.

Two years ago, Louise le Blanc fled her coven and took shelter in the city of Cesarine, forsaking all magic and living off whatever she could steal. There, witches like Lou are hunted. They are feared. And they are burned.

Sworn to the Church as a Chasseur, Reid Diggory has lived his life by one principle: thou shalt not suffer a witch t
Published September 3rd 2019 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Serpent & Dove, please sign up.
Ketzaly Not really a cliffhanger, but there will be a change in setting for the next book. Not much I could say without spoiling.

Emma Giordano
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars! Such a beautifully rich fantasy debut. I was so pleasantly surprised to find how attached I became to the characters and overall story. This is not a book you are going to want to miss!

Full review to come.

I received a copy of this book from Harper Teen in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
✨ A ✨
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loved Nina and Matthias from SoC
Few things compare to that feeling you get after finishing a book that lived up to your expectations. Ever since I read the blurb of this book I knew I was going to love this and I WAS NOT DISSAPOINTED.

It had everything I adore:

• addictive; easy writing
• enemies-to-lovers
• marriage of convenience
• witch/witch hunter romance
• slow burn
• intricate magical system
• heart warming female friendship
• morally grey characters
• inner battle of right and wrong

In the land of Belterra witches are burn
jessica
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
for the first time ever, i picked up a book without knowing anything about it. i didnt read the synopsis, not the back cover, nothing. and i have no idea if thats why im rating this so highly - because everything was such an exciting surprise - or what, but wow. this had me hooked!

the first thing that i noticed right away was the writing. my gosh, this does not read like a debut novel. this feels as if its written by a seasoned fantasy author. its utterly divine.

and the content is sooo magical.
Prince Charming Doesn't Exist - Faebriar
THIS BOOK FUCKING CURED MY NINA AND MATTHIAS DEFICIENCY

IT'S LIKE -- A MARRIAGE BETWEEN MANORIAN AND NITTHIAS

MINAAEMIC PATIENTS WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

WITCH BLOOD DESCENDENTS WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU WAITING FOR? DO NOT DISGRACE YOUR ANCESTORS!!!

insert Ellie Goulding quote

OH AND PLEASE TAKE THIS IN HIGH DOSES -- 49 TIMES A DAY

P.S. i have a weird satisfaction saying these words witch's blood
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holy Fuck.

*deceased*.

Full review to come.
Helena of Sparta ✰
WOWWW!!! This was amazing! What a stunning début! I did NOT think, going into this, that it would be earning itself a place on my favourites shelf! If uni hadn't been such a hindrance (lol whyyy), I'd have absolutely torn through this in one sitting! If this is what Shelby Mahurin has to offer, I'm excited for what's to come in the future!

description

This was an enemies-to-lovers romance, reminiscent of Matthias and Nina from Six of Crows (aka my OTP of the series), but instead of Grisha, Lou was a witch an
Jordan
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read SERPENT & DOVE before publication, and it quickly became one of my favorite books of all time. If you're a fan of Sarah J Maas' mature themes, then this is a MUST-READ. Below I've jotted some other reasons to pick this up. Don't mind my scrambled brain. Also, PICK THIS BOOK UP. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

Things SERPENT & DOVE has that I never knew I needed until the second I did (in random order... because I said so):

1. Forced Marriage: I swooned with the rest of
Zainab
Sep 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
My dudes, this book was...something.

Okay so the only time I actually like romance in a book is if it starts off with hate. Dude I love hate. So obviously I was very excited for this book and it did not disappoint- well at least the first 300 pages didn't.
The thing is, I really liked Reid at first because I thought he was chivalrous and all but there's a difference between chivalry and being a dumbass and our beloved Reid is a cringey dumbass.
The romance was sudden and cringey and made me want to
arini
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
✨ 5 ”SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS” stars ✨

ahh i love this book so freaking much!! and i've been walking on air since i finished it. this is an impressive debut novel that doesnt feel like one at all bcs of how outstanding the author’s writing craftsmanship is.

im not good with summarizing, but basically this book is about two sworn enemies who, after a stunt gone wrong, are forced into a matrimony. however, there’s more to this book than just the slow burn enemies to lovers blooming roman
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn’t attending to the star giving auctions for too long but finally I FOUND A… ( oh no I couldn’t find an adjective to express my feelings about this book. Fantastic! No! Too weak! Extraordinary! No! Not emphasizing my emotions enough! Okay let’s get over this auction as I resume my brain storming to find the right words!)

One zillion stars… Did I hear three zillion! What the hell! Five gazillion! What! One jillion, one jillion! Okay two, three jillion! Oh the read head crazy lady already wro
☽ TheBibliotheque
WITCHES BE BACK with my favourite fantasy book this year.

"Conscious of the Chasseurs' eyes on me, I forced a smirk and bumped my husband's hip, pretending that it'd all been a show. A laugh. That I'd just been goading him to get a reaction. That I wasn't a witch in Mass, standing amongst my enemies and worshipping someone else's god.
Our lives reflect our hearts.
They might've all been hypocrites, but I was the biggest of them all."

What a splendid debut. What a freaking phenomenal first book of a
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from you, (...)
Where you go, I will go.
Where you stay, I will stay.

Story 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
“For her sixteenth birthday, Louise le Blanc’s mother gave her three things:
A sacrificial altar,
A ritual knife
And a wicked scar.”
That was the description I read when I first saw this book on Goodreads and boooooooy I was so hooked.
And then when it reappeared on my dashboard there was another thing that caught my interest. A witch and witch hunter hate-to-love-trope.
And w
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
A witch/witch hunter love story?? Yes please gimme gimme gimme
Candace Robinson
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As soon as I read this blurb, I was like, count me in! Witchy is my name and witchy wars are my game! However, I wasn't sure what I would get, but what I got is one of my favorite books of the year!

I loved both points of views! Lou was ambitious, perfectly flawed, spoke what was on her mind, and down right awesome. Reid was strong willed, innocent yet not innocent, and so dang swoony! And the chemistry between Lou and Reid was so freaking good! Don't let me forget the side characters! Coco! Anse
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Thank you HarperTeen for the gifted review copy in exchange for an honest review!

When I first read the synopsis for Serpent & Dove I knew I had to read it, and although I was excited to start I didn't really have that high expectations. And there dear friends, is where I was wrong. This book was everything I wanted it to be! This book has so many amazing elements including witches, witch hunters, enemies to lovers, and forbidden love. The book had me on edge for the two days that I spent rea
Ashlee » Library In The Country
09/03/2019: HAPPY BOOK BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF MY FAVORITES OF 2019! Serpent & Dove is out now! Shoo, get out of here and go buy it!

Review:
HELLLOOO MY DEAR BOOK AND WELCOME TO MY ALL TIME FAVORITES.

This book guys. THIS BOOK. It is exactly what I look for in a fantasy novel and has pulled me out of my YA slump. It’s looking to get super hyped and I’ll be joining in on that hype for the rest of the year. Brace yerselves.

Shelby Mahurin has created an enrapturing fantasy firmly rooted in the history
Noa ☾
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: witches
ARC provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review

“Wicked are the ways of women — and especially a witch”

Serpent & Dove is set in a 17th Century French-inspired landscape. It deals with a war between witches and the Church. The story focuses on a witch, Lou and a witch hunter, Reid, who are forced into marriage. Serpent & Dove was a surprising read and the evolution throughout the book was insane. This is not AT ALL where I thought the story was going but, DID I ENJOY IT ?
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

I received this from Edelweiss and HarperTeen in exchange for an honest review!

4.5/5

CW: sexism, forced marriage, human experimentation, cutting (for blood magic), execution, starvation/not eating, and burning at the stake

I was completely blown away by this debut! When I went into this, I was pretty sure that it would be a good book but damn! Apparently, this year is all about debut authors shocking me by how amazing their stories are. This is on the upper
Laurie –A Court of Books–
“Where you go, I will go. Where you stay, I will stay.”

I received an ARC of Serpent & Dove at BookExpo, this in no way impacts my review. However, my review is based on an unfinished and uncorrected copy, please note that the story and quotes may differ from the final book. I’ll do my best to keep this review as spoiler-free as possible.

The eighth book of my '10 books in 3 weeks' project

I can’t believe this book made it to my all-time favourite!

I just felt the most satisfying feeling ever.
Hafsah
Sep 09, 2019 is currently reading it
FACT #3: This book has been screaming BUY MEEEE!! non-stop and I don't have it in me to resist anymore.

FACT #4: That's right, ITS FINALLY MIIIINE!! (pReAciOuS) AND IM NOT WAITING A SECOND LONGER TO START IT
---
FACT #1: Every time I see someone post yet another 5⭐ review of this, my stress (and jealousy) levels rocket. Because...
I.
Still.
Don't.
Have.
It.
(Cue crying)

FACT #2: And until I do, my life shall continue to be a tragedy.
Clemlucian (🏳️‍🌈the villain's quest)
⭐⭐⭐ :(

Instagram | youtube

description

this face completely sums up my thoughts. First, I was into it, then I didn't understand the choices the author made so 'nope.'
Abigail Braun
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"There’d never been a choice—not for me. From that first moment I’d seen her at the parade—dressed in a baggy suit and ridiculous mustache—my fate had been sealed."

YOU GUYS. You guys. YoU gUyS.

This book.

To say I love SERPENT & DOVE with all of my heart would be a complete understatement. My love for this book descends deeper than that. I feel it in my SOUL.

From the very first line, Lou is alive and she fights every. single. page. to stay that way. She has a fire within her that speaks to
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Holy crap I want more!
Full review and rating to come!

*EDIT TO ADD REVIEW*
I need to start this review by saying, although this is labeled as YA, it does not feel YA...like at all. In fact, if it wasn't for the fact that they are marketing it as such, I wouldn't of even believed it was.

This story was amazing. All my favorite fantasy tropes and romance tropes all balled into one amazing, original and entertaining ride.

Love the premises, the characters, the tropes, the magical and sometimes very d
❆Francesca (Mother of Cats) Selina❆
Thank you so much HarperTeen for providing me a free copy through Edelweiss in exchange of an honest review.

What a wonderful debut. This books ensnares you and you forget about time until you’ve finished and left with huge withdrawals and wanting more of this wonderful story.

CHARACTERS:
In a word? Gray.
Both main protagonists are at constant war with their believes and choices, they each belong to opposite extremist factions and are forced to interact on a daily basis, each day chipping away at so
ʙᴇʟʟᴀ.: ☾**:.☆*.:。.
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review (Thank you!)

Serpent & Dove had a synopsis that left me really curious and excited to read it. Enemies to lovers trope is the only one trope I never get tired of.
Ladies & Gentleman this book had the very perfect execution of this trope: It was slow burn and beautifully done. Few are the YA/NA novels that do not feature insta-love.
Serpent and Dove presents Lou, a witch in disguise and Reid, a Witch-hunter (Chass
- ̗̀ whoreofbookboyfriends ̖́-
I decided to write reviews lol I'm horrible..
Read it pls http://whoreofbookboyfriends.com/2019...
Lea (drumsofautumn)
3.5 stars. This was really enjoyable overall but I definitely had some issues with it and there was sooo much more potential. RTC!

✨ Buddy read with Melanie who also gifted this to me ✨
- ̗̀ DANY  ̖́- (danyreads)
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2019-reads
. : ☾⋆ — 5 ★

READ THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG!!!

ARC provided from the publisher in exchange for an honest review (thank you HarperTeen and HarperCollins!!)

truthfully, all I want in life is well-written 17th century french ambience and perfectly executed trashy tropes—and Serpent & Dove PROVIDES.

lord, what a debut. I confess, based on the cover alone, I went into this expecting a super-dark fantasy bordering on the adult end of things, but I was so surprised to find a light
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
~ the only thing I want to know is why that girl's named Le Blanc, US authors confuse the fuck out of me sometimes???
Jaime Arkin
Once I started this book I was hooked. I ended up finishing this in a day and that’s saying something considering it’s a 500 plus page book!

I adore a good enemies to lovers story and this one is done so incredibly well.

Filled with action and intrigue, Serpent & Dove has created a world where you don’t exactly know which side to root for as you turn the pages.

Louise fled her coven of witches hiding among the streets of Cesarine. She doesn’t use her magic for fear of drawing attention, not
Shelby Mahurin grew up on a small farm in rural Indiana, where sticks became wands and cows became dragons. Her rampant imagination didn't fade with age, so she continues to play make-believe every day—with words now instead of cows. When not writing, Shelby watches the Office and obsesses over her Twitter feed. She still lives near that childhood farm with her very tall husband, semi-feral toddle ...more

• All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • There Will Come a Darkness (The Age of Darkness, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Beholder (The Beholder, #1)
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • The Never Tilting World (The Never Tilting World, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Bone ​Crier’s Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Eight Will Fall
“Every aspect of Reid was precise, certain, every color in its proper place. Undiluted by indecision, he saw the world in black and white, suffering none of the messy, charcoal colors in between. The colors of ash and smoke. Of fear and doubt.
The colors of me.”
6 likes
“I loved her. Despite everything. Despite the lies, the betrayal, the hurt. Despite the Archbishop and Morgane le Blanc. Despite my own brothers. I don't know if she returned that love, and I didn't care. If she was destined to burn in Hell, I would burn with her.” 4 likes