Start by marking “Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)

Legendborn

(Legendborn #1)

Filled with mystery and an intriguingly rich magic system, Tracy Deonn’s YA contemporary fantasy Legendborn offers the dark allure of City of Bones with a modern-day twist on a classic legend and a lot of Southern Black Girl Magic.

After her mother dies in an accident, sixteen-year-old Bree Matthews wants nothing to do with her family memories or childhood home. A residenti
Expected publication: September 15th 2020 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Legendborn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Legendborn

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne CollinsChain of Gold by Cassandra ClareOne of Us Is Next by Karen M. McManusImagine Me by Tahereh MafiAll the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn  Grace
YA Novels of 2020
768 books — 2,165 voters
All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn  GraceAll Your Twisted Secrets by Diana  UrbanWhere Dreams Descend by Janella AngelesThe Loop by Ben   OliverA Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown
YA Debuts 2020
142 books — 422 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)
Maria ☾ ⋆
Feb 29, 2020 marked it as to-read
WOW!! OKAYY! I THINK I NEED THIS RIGHT NOW!! Merlin? And maybe a New fantasy Camelot adventure mixed with real life? What more can I ask for in this life? It's like a dream come true! I'm so Excited!!
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)

❤️A love triangle"
- via author's Twitter

THIS SOUNDS AMAZING!!!
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
just saying but this has a bi mc & also lesbian and nb rep, and f/f & m/m couples :>> arturiada is gay as fuck kids ...more
The Artisan Geek
Nov 27, 2019 marked it as to-read
5/2/20
That cover is just TOO STUNNING!! Gosh, I love my people

27/11/19
'King Arthur retelling with Southern Black Girl Magic.' This is the book I didn't realise I needed in my life. I mean, the VIBES I am getting from this premise:

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Julia ✨

the author describes this as:
👧🏾Black girl lead
✴️King Arthur
🙌🏽Black girl Wash Day
🌟Demons!
🏳️‍🌈⚔️Queer kids w/ magical weapons
✴️Secret society politics
❤️A love triangle

I don't know about you, but i don't need to know anything else.
faith ✨
May 22, 2020 marked it as tbr-arc
me: black bi mc! secret society politics! demons! i need this book right now!
me: sees it's 513 pages

Nikki S
11/27/2018:

SAY WHAT NOW?! HERE JUST TAKE MY MONEY

2/13/2020:

Somehow I missed that there was a cover and its giving me all the Black Girl Magic Vibes!!!!! I need this YESTERDAY!
Savannah Breckenridge
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS EVERYTHING!!!! I cannot express how excited I am for this book to enter the world because it is: poetic, heart wrenching, action packed, insightful, and the world building is like nothing I’ve read before. I CANNOT CONTAIN HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! The layers upon layers upon layers that the author and editors have put into this work of art is spell binding. When praising this book aloud I came to the conclusion that this book made me understand my grief/loss in life in a new wa ...more
Micaela
Jun 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
"Pitched as a modern-day King Arthur retelling with Southern Black Girl Magic, the book follows a teenage girl who infiltrates a secret society of powerful magic wielders to find out the truth behind her mother's untimely death."

This sounds friggin' amazing.
Lillie Lainoff
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Technically I read this book last year, but I’m counting it for this year (take that, Goodreads book count) because it's taken me a long time to properly articulate my buckets of feelings and thoughts about this book in review-form. This review is a mere, spoiler-free snippet of my love for Legendborn (I can’t wait until it's out in the world so I can have long discussions with other readers about [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] and… well, you get the picture.)

There is so much to love in Legendborn: l
Adele
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
02.05.2020
There is not a moment in this book where I wasn’t chained to the page, devouring every word to a steady thrum of “must keep going, what happens next?” It captured me, heart and soul, and the love and imagination Tracy Deonn has poured into this novel pays off in droves. Bree is a powerful lead and her story–her truth–had me smiling, crying, raging at injustice, and cackling with wild glee.

I consider myself very lucky to have read an early draft of this work, and I cannot wait to re-rea
Cayla (bad and bookish)
Feb 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
That cover!!!!
jay ☽
Mar 14, 2020 marked it as tbr-unreleased
Whew that synopsis! That cover! Sign me up and take my money already. I needed this book yesterday!!
Lauren
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
An exciting blend of Buffy, Shadowhunters, and Merlin. Legendborn is a fun and colorfully built world of a secret society of demon hunters who trace their lineage back to the original knights of the round table centered at a southern university.

When high school student Bree Matthews has the chance to escape her grief by applying to a college mentor program at a local university, she jumps at it. What she doesn’t expect is to be able to see demons and get wrapped up in a secret society of promine
Kꌗꌗ
Mar 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: retellings
pre-reading
Look at that fro...being all...fro-licious!
lives_in_books
11.29.19
"Pitched as a modern-day King Arthur retelling with Southern Black Girl Magic, the book follows a teenage girl who infiltrates a secret society of powerful magic wielders to find out the truth behind her mother's untimely death. Publication is scheduled for summer 2020." This sounds AMAZING.

5.28.2020
Now that I've seen the cover: this looks so cool! Urban fantasy is a great genre and I'm excited to see it become more diversified.
Liselle Sambury
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve been very fortunate to read an early copy! LEGENDBORN is a fantastic contemporary fantasy that explores the struggle of building a life and moving forward from grief, finding your place and passion in the world, and discovering where you belong in your personal history.

I loved this book SO MUCH! I’m a typical slow reader and devoured it in three days because I just HAD to keep reading to find out what happened next. I know very little about King Arthur but the history and magic systems weav
grets
Mar 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
hm. vaatab kas mortal instruments vol2 või ei. feeling iffy.
Karina
Apr 19, 2020
SE
Aug 29, 2019
Tracy Deonn
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Arden Prins
Goodreads Librari...: Assistance updating blurb 3 21 Jan 27, 2020 10:35AM

• Chasing Lucky
  • Beetle & the Hollowbones
  • Wings of Ebony
  • 10 Things I Hate About Pinky (Dimple and Rishi, #3)
  • The Black Kids
  • Forest of Souls (Shamanborn, #1)
  • Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • Jake in the Box
  • Wilder Girls
  • Ghosts of the Shadow Market
  • Sweet & Bitter Magic
  • Today Tonight Tomorrow
  • Ever Cursed
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City, #1)
  • The Queen of Blood  (The Queens of Renthia, #1)
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)
Tracy Deonn is a writer and 2nd gen fangirl. She grew up in North Carolina, where she devoured fantasy books and Southern food in equal measure. After earning two degrees from UNC-CH, Tracy worked in live theater, video games, and K-12 education. When she’s not writing, Tracy panels at SFF conventions, reads fanfic, arranges doggy playdates, and keeps an eye out for ginger-flavored everything.

Legendborn (2 books)
  • Untitled (Legendborn, #2)