Start by marking “The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)

The Gilded Ones

(Deathless #1)

Sixteen-year-old Deka lives in fear and anticipation of the blood ceremony that will determine whether she will become a member of her village. Already different from everyone else because of her unnatural intuition, Deka prays for red blood so she can finally feel like she belongs.

But on the day of the ceremony, her blood runs gold, the color of impurity--and Deka knows
Expected publication: May 26th 2020 by Delacorte

To ask other readers questions about The Gilded Ones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gilded Ones

Start your review of The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
Elise (TheBookishActress)
West-African fantasy with a blurb that seems to suggest subversion of eugenics and girl badasses. aka my BRAND.
Acqua
Nov 04, 2019 marked it as to-read
That's A Cover
Dannii Elle
Dec 29, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This cover is doing things for me!

2020 seems like it is going to be the year for all the best YA fantasy stories and this one is topping my list for most anticipated.
Vee_Bookish
Dec 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
It was less than 10 years ago that YA book publishers would actively hide any idea of POC on the cover, seeing this makes my heart so happy. We've come so far!
The Artisan Geek
Sep 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
3/11/19
Look at that cover though! Hot damn!!

30/9/19
You had me at Ancient West-African inspired!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Pj Switzer
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the opportunity to ready an advanced copy of "Deathless" and it is fantastic. The world building is extraordinary. The characters are engaging and powerful. And the story kept me turning pages compulsively.

I loved this book and I think it's one that will get readers thinking about the most important issues of of our age.
AJ
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just coming here to add: look at this amazing cover!!!!

----
Listen, this is honestly one of the best fantasies I have read! From the brilliant world building of a society that kills women who they deem as "demons," and protects the virtue of those who they consider "pure," to the brilliant cast of female characters who are all wonderfully diverse and deeply relatable. None more so than Deka, a protagonist who it's almost impossible to not love and want to protect. 2020 cannot come fast enough and
Sarah ➖Goddess of Mischief➖
I have a theory that all these authors making "girls fight monsters" books are specifically targeting my TBR...
Sophie Elaina
Dec 31, 2019 marked it as on-my-radar
Shelves: 2020-releases
OH MY!!! This cover is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen! ...more
Megan ❀
Nov 12, 2019 marked it as tbr-unreleased
This synopsis sounds INCREDIBLE!
Stephanie L (catteabooks)
I really like the idea of different color blood determining different powers. Also girls fighting monsters.
Norah Una Sumner
Nov 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
THIS.COVER.

description
Syd the Kid
Dec 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy
This cover is absolutely stunning AND the plot sounds good? Is this a dream?

Please...please... PLEASE do not disappoint. I need a good fantasy book that represents us. Yes NEED.
Kelly Coon
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oooooooh, hold onto your hats: this is magical and inventive and filled with gold-blooded demon women WHO ARE DONE WITH THE PATRIARCHY. Add it to your TBR immediately.
♠ TABI ♠
*screeches* JUST LOOK AT THIS COVER JUST LOOK AT IT
Dec 16, 2019 marked it as wishlist
This cover is STUNNING! Add in the first paragraph of the blurb and I'm sold:

The start of a bold and immersive West African-inspired, feminist fantasy series for fans of Children of Blood and Bone and Black Panther. In this world, girls are outcasts by blood and warriors by choice.
Kee Zee
Jan 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
THAT COVER!!! Grrr...come to me!
Leah George
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
****I RECEIVED AN ARC OF THIS BOOK AT YALLFEST 2019. ALL OPINIONS ARE MY OWN ****

Honestly, this book is so amazing and so much more than I anticipated! The world building and characters are truly wonderful! There were so many twists and turns, I couldn't put it down. I love the friendships formed between Deka and the other girls, and I loved watching them grow into strong, fierce women. I can't wait for this book to officially be out in the world, and I can't wait to read the next one!! I'm
nat
Nov 05, 2019 marked it as to-read
this cover is so gorgeous i honestly can't stop looking at it wow
Maria Rutkowska
Need. This. Cover. Now.
Vika Ryabova
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-english
Исключительно фем-фэнтези эпическо-героическая :) Для не самых взрослых читателей. Экзотическая мифология, симпатичные существа. Не обошлось без прекрасного принца, но это можно простить. Обещают еще два романа.
Tânia
Dec 08, 2019 marked it as to-read
Everything about this book seems so freaking amazing! The cover is stunning and the plot is so alluring.

Blog // Instagram // Twitter // Redbubble
Zoeanne
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I neither fear little girls, nor need shackles to chain them."

This book is everything I've ever wanted in a feminist fantasy novel. Reading this book empowered me. This book is about taking your power back and claiming it for your own. The characters jump off of the page and straight into your heart. I can't believe I lived for 23 years without having read this novel.
Mel
Aug 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
Namina Forna

@NaminaForna
Follow Follow @NaminaForna
Why aren’t we talking about the fact that white men are the most terrifying thing in America right now? The terrorists aren’t coming from outside, they’re homegrown and filled with hatred against women and minorities and anyone who doesn’t look like them.
#DomesticWhiteTerrorism

7:11 AM - 4 Aug 2019
Dec 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Why am I so in love with this cover? It's absolutely stunning .
Ty
Dec 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Female warriors.

Female warriors.

FEMALE WARRIORS.
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
What a cover!! It's breathtaking!!!
Delyth
Sep 14, 2018

• The Silence of Bones
  • The Cousins
  • Harley in the Sky
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Woven in Moonlight
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • The Stars We Steal
  • A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin, #1)
  • The Kingdom of Back
  • A River of Royal Blood (A River of Royal Blood, #1)
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Untitled (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • Influence
  • My Eyes Are Up Here
Namina Forna has a MFA in film and TV production from USC School of Cinematic Arts and a BA from Spelman College. She now works as a screenwriter in LA and loves telling stories with fierce female leads. THE GILDED ONES is her debut novel.

Deathless (3 books)
  • Untitled (Deathless, #2)
  • Untitled (Deathless #3)