Start by marking “The Bible of Clay” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Bible of Clay

Julia Navarro

The Bible of Clay

In her provocative second novel, Spanish author Navarro takes listeners on an exhilarating journey across centuries and continents, as an upstart archaeologist and a murderous group of conspirators vie for a treasure that will rewrite history. Abridged. 5 CDs.
Audio CD
Published March 25th 2008 by Random House Audio (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Bible of Clay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bible of Clay

Start your review of The Bible of Clay
Forrest
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whew... I am glad I finally finished this book (an exercise in discipline). The book is ok, but I would not necessarily recommend it to anyone. Maybe I had too high of expectations for this book by reading the reviews - which some touted it to be a Dan Brown / Steve Berry novel. Well, I venomously disagree with that. Maybe the book lost some "zip" in its translation - not taking anything away from the translator, Andrew Hufley. I think it was just me. Besides, I am not entertained by accounts fr ...more
Kimberly
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The idea for this novel was a good one, but it was waaaaaay too long and had waaaaay too many characters who didn't add anything to the plot. What looked to be a promising good turned out to be just another Dan Brown wannabe. Please authors, don't keep trying to mimic something that isn't that great to begin with!
Ken
Feb 26, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Though I have put down as read, I did abandon this book. The best description I can give is that it was like a Fenland road. One could tell exactly where it was going and that was nowhere.
Robert
Yes it was O.K. and that was about it. Written in three different time periods with a multitude of characters this is a solid 497 pages of grind. A decent enough story that just takes a while going anywhere. And some of the evil vile crap spilled out on these pages, well damn, even I have to say this was a tough cookie to chew on. So if you have a lot of time on your hands, a strong stomach for characters that are real assholes and nothing better to do, I say this may be the book for you. Otherw ...more
Jen
Mar 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
I borrowed this book from a friend, and it was blah. The story seemed to run-on at times and for whatever reason, this book just didn't do it for me.
i had to slog through this. it had a lot of potential, but never could get going until the last 50 pages or so when I began to hope for a redeeming ending, but alas the ending was disappointing too. i was also distracted by the bad translation, especially of the dialogue - no one actually talks like that!
Gary Stocker
Disappointing. The story set in recent times suffered a lot of over padding. Whereas the story set in Abraham's time could have done with a lot more exposure. The ending just fizzled out very inconclusively. Only very average. Not a patch on her previous novel, which I can thoroughly recommend.
Grada (BoekenTrol)
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Icila
Recommended to Grada (BoekenTrol) by: ababaigalit
In the beginning of this book I had a hard time telling apart the characters and, consequently, seperating the story lines.
When the story continued however and the characters appeared more AND more of their back ground was revealed, the story grabbed me and did not let go.

It was a good story, in which war, archeology, greed, hatred, revenge unconditional love, betrayal and trust all had their roles.

At first I could not imagine why a bunch of very old people would hire a hitman to kill another v
Alistair Forrest
Found this in Malta's biggest bookshop a few weeks ago and had to buy it. Extremely disappointing - seemingly very poor research into Iraqi terrain and culture, confusing characters, weak development of main characters. Maybe this was lost in translation, so blame Random House? Jumping on the Dan Brown bandwagon and falling off big time. Shame. Another example of how we can trust the big publishing houses less and less.
Delores Thomas
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Was there an original version of Genesis written in clay? This story is based on that supposition and that the Nazis got their hands on two of the tablets during WWII from some of those people whom they killed.

This begins with 4 very rich and influential people who wish to find these tablets but also some people who survived the camps and are searching for the guilty Nazis. There are flashbacks by the prisoners, the Nazis, and the early Armenian who wrote the tablets directly from Abram’s dicta
Mexscrabbler
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a light thriller along the vein of The Da Vinci Code; it is a fun summer read. It follows the life of 4 children who were victimized during the Holocaust by ruthless Nazis and they swear to avenge the death of their parents. The Nazis have since become art robber-dealers who loot national treasures for profit. The story revolves around the discovery of the "Bible of Clay", a bible dictated personally by Abraham which is discovered in Iraq.

A lot of suspension of disbelief is required... b
Katie (BooksRUs)
Confusing!! Now I remember why I stopped reading it before. It took me until the middle of the book to remember who knew who and why certain people were doing things. Good idea for a plot, I just think there were too many characters' point of views, especially in the modern day.
Juan-Maria Gallego-Toledo
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is one of those books that could have been 100 pages shorter and not much would have been missing. Interesting topic and good developed character but it is annoyingly superfluous sometimes. Really enjoyed the relationship between most of the characters within that time period in Iraq.
Dark Star
Engaging story with lots of twists and turns.
✿ Deni
May 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The plot was ok-ish but there are far too many characters!
Mauricio
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it
Claudia
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spanish
Mediocre at best, but it was a gold mine of Spanish vocabulary.
Wendy
Dec 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and interesting. Lots of characters to keep up with. On pg. 208 still trying to figure out where they all fit.
Netaris
Got to tedious to read
TJ
Jan 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Way too long. Too many subplots that could be summed up and didn’t need to go into. And could get rid of a few characters. An ok read
Jose-Luis La Torre-Cuadros
Excellent thriller, great story with an unexpected ending.
Highly recommended.
Lucian Zup
Some clay of dialogues.
Barbara Nutting
Good concept - poorly executed. Way too many flawed characters, hard to keep them all straight! It was impossible figuring out who was trying to kill who?? AND it was waaaay too long - so much for Adam, Bush, Saddam, Hitler, Eden and Iraq!!
Deloris Smestad
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read by a Spanish author.
Samantha
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I felt that for the length of it, it wrapped up really quickly. Loved the character twist at the end. All the characters where tied together fairly well but this was just a nice extra surprise.
V C Willow
May 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will be completely honest in my review and start by confessing that I couldn't finish this book. After trying for 100 plus pages to find something that was holding my interest I finally admitted defeat. The writing felt clunky, the characters unlikeable and ultimately unsympathetic making it nigh on impossible to connect to their motivation or feelings and the framing of the three time periods within which the novel is set felt awkwardly placed together so there was no smooth transfer from one ...more
Christa
Mar 10, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: booksfree-com
After being attracted to the premise of this book, I felt that it fell short of its potential. The story was interesting, but I had a hard time feeling empathetic toward the characters. None of the main characters seemed very likeable to me. This sounded like a great story, but it fell flat.

This book has numerous characters and jumps around between time periods. The majority of the book takes place in modern time, with parts in late Nazi Germany and parts in the time of biblical Abraham. The par
Avigail
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The basic concept behind this novel is pretty interesting. Bible of Clay is a great book for those enthusiasts of biblical archaelogy. I have trouble laying the book down! From page 1, you are hooked wondering why a certain individual must be killed. To me, it is an easy and intriguing read. The lines flow with an ever growing story line. Once in a great while I find a great book that hooks me, and this is it!
Revenge can be a very messy thing, and Navarro holds nothing back in showing what the
Judy
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a little slow to get into, but once you start you just need to find out what happens. Father Gian Marie, of the Vatican, hears a confession that a woman, Clara Tannenberg, is to be killed. How he travels to find Clara and protect her without her knowing why. She is an archaeologist looking, on behalf of her Uncle Alfred, the tablets that Abraham had recorded about Creation.
Four friends, Mercedes, Bruno, Carlo and Hans, who as children were confined to a POW camp in Germany during
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Last Cato (Catón #1)
  • El asesinato de Sócrates
  • La catedral del mar (La catedral del mar, #1)
  • Todo bajo el cielo
  • Yo, Julia (Julia Domna #1)
  • El origen perdido
  • Riña de gatos. Madrid 1936
  • El salón de ámbar
  • Iacobus
  • La bodega
  • El hereje
  • Tierra firme
  • Circo Máximo: La ira de Trajano (Trajano, #2)
  • Las legiones malditas (Publio Cornelio Escipión, #2)
  • La tabla esmeralda
  • Y Julia retó a los dioses (Julia Domna, #2)
  • Trilogía The Century: La caída de los gigantes / El invierno del mundo / El umbral de la eternidad
  • El regreso del catón (Catón, #2)
Julia Navarro (Madrid, 1953) lleva más de treinta años dedicada al periodismo trabajando en los principales medios de comunicación de este país, tanto en prensa escrita como en radio y televisión.

Después de publicar varios libros de actualidad política como Nosotros, la transición; Entre Felipe y Aznar; La izquierda que viene, y Señora presidenta, se atrevió con la novela y consiguió un éxito sin