Start by marking “We Can Save Us All” as Want to Read:
We Can Save Us All

We Can Save Us All

Welcome to The Egg, an off-campus geodesic dome where David Fuffman and his crew of alienated Princeton students train for what might be the end of days: America is in a perpetual state of war, climate disasters create a global state of emergency, and scientists believe time itself may be collapsing.

Funded by the charismatic Mathias Blue and fueled by performan
Published November 13th 2018 by Unnamed Press

To ask other readers questions about We Can Save Us All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Can Save Us All

OutlawPoet
This was a tough read for me.

Our characters were unbearably precious - I think purposefully so. Immature, bold, bright, and so blastedly aware of how bold and bright they were that I wanted to slap them at times. There's so much arrogance in them.

Our story? I spent a lot of time waiting for big things to happen....and wondering if I really wanted to wait for those things to happen.

Unfortunately, I found myself unable to engage here. Maybe I'm too jaded at this
David Olsen
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We Can Save Us All is an ambitious debut by a very talented Adam Nemett. The book begins with a chance meeting of our rather nerdy protagonist, David Fuffman, in an odd, drug-enhanced damn-building exercise where he meets the charismatic and wealthy Mathias Blue—in a frigid river, at Princeton. This clever scene is a fun springboard into the witty, satirical, and nihilistic novel that is to follow. The story is set in the near future where all-too-realistic issues of war and climate change combi ...more
Trace
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's the mid-2020s when we find a group of Princeton semi-dropouts living off campus in a geodesic dome with Wayne Manoresque crypts and contraptions bracing for a creeping apocalypse. Like today's college students, they're always running short on time, though their affliction is in equal measure youthful ambition and an actual space-time reconfiguration. And like today's college students, they have to prop up their crumbling world while looking cool doing it in front of the girls on campus. ...more
David
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a few years in the future, and the world is a chaotic mess, beset by war, natural calamities and the scientific reality of time collapsing in on itself. Many truly believe that the end is near.

(Hello, We Can Save us All. I think we’re gonna be friends.)

Charismatic Princeton dropout Mathias Blue sets up a “Hall of Justice” like facility off campus called “The Egg” and at The Egg he assembles a group of other likeminded and alienated dropouts. Together, they form the Unnamed Supe/>
Nate Hawthorne
How can a book about a cult based on drugs, superheroes, and sex be bad? At times I thought I was in on the ground floor. Other times I wasn't sure if it was serious. In the end, it is a straight forward love story with a very strange backdrop. Never really felt like I truly connected with the narrative. But did I mention the drugs, superheroes and sex...
Larry
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Six stars. Five isn’t enough.

Warning: it isn’t for everybody.

But it IS an amazing, fascinating, somewhat terrifying book. The last 100 pages or so completely took me over. I was absorbed into the couch until I finished, totally oblivious to what was going on around me.

Literally the end of Time.
Daniel Hunton
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if I liked this or not, but I can say - I've never read anything like it, and may never again. Occasionally beautiful, occasionally reeeeally messed up.
Camille McCarthy
I consider this book to be an accurate representation of what happens when we depend on privileged, wealthy Ivy Leaguers to solve world problems for us. The main character sees himself as a kind of superhero meant to save the world, but he is really a sexist, manipulative hipster dude with an incredibly huge ego who cares more about the fame and recognition he would get from saving people than he does about actually saving people. It shows a perversion of "mutual aid," if it were dispersed by a ...more
Jacob Hoefer
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightfully surprising novel. Part White Noise, part Fight Club, part Avengers: Infinity War.
Using superheros, cults, magnetic personalities, and really average ones, Adam Nemett carves a kryptonite spear through millennial intellectualism, fatalism, and generational feuds all while reaming incredibly readable to those of us who roll their eyes when those words come up in conversation.
****Below be spoilers****
One more thing I want to congratulate this novel on is being
Charlie Miller
I really enjoyed the the first parts of this book, but the middle and end really floundered, and overall I thought it was pretty sophomoric and way too narco-centric. I’m baffled that someone could attend college and come out the other side still believing that college students could make compelling subjects for a novel, even one as imaginative as this. Although my overall impression of the book was negative, its prose was really excellent; Nemett is certainly gifted, and I look forward to readi ...more
Sara VA
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing writer - in nonfiction, has turned his phenomenal storytelling talent to fiction with the same quality and success.
Lisa
Feb 17, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to stop half way through. Could not even muscle my way through it. Too juvenile. It should have been a graphic novel perhaps. In any case, this book is NOT for me
Siobhan Amin
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so hard to put down after the first 50 pages or so. So eventful with such rich characters and energetic story telling. The imaginativeness of the story stuck with me for a few days afterwards as I kept on thinking about all of the characters and events.
Jenn
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
David Fuffman wants to be the hero that can save everyone. The thing is he is just so bad at it. Set at Princeton University in the near future when the world is significantly more falling apart then it is now, David Fuffman joins a group of current/former students in a world of drugs, sex and trying to plan for the future. In a lot of ways its a lot like typical college but its also nothing like a real college experience. From this book we can learn that we can all be heroes and we are all capa ...more
Angel Gunn
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great fast-paced read, brings out the superheroes in all of us.
Mark
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, the superheroes I've been waiting for. Nemett writes with real energy. This was a very fun book about some serious topics.
Elena
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Idealistic and earnest young people led by a cultish intellect are given license to save themselves and the world by dressing up as super heroes emboldened and enlightened (?) by mind altering drugs. Results vary as you might expect. Communal living, group love and betrayal and a tale of unrequited love thrown in for good measure. Sharply written and set lovingly in Princeton, NJ and environs (I know the area well). Inevitably, ala "Lord of the Flies", the "fun" comes to an end and the predictab ...more
Caroline Bock
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Literary speculative fiction -- set in the near future, set on the Princeton University campus, involving storms, a purple pill, the main character, David, trying to figure it all out--sex, war, technology, university-- at times, in a kind of navel-gazing way, but still curiously gripping. I liked the language and ideas, and I'm curious about literary speculative fiction for my own writerly self interest. I will be watching this author for more...

--Caroline
a curious reader and writer...

--Caroline
a curious reader and writer...
Carry Her Home Stories by Caroline Bock
SaraR
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A seriously engaging novel about the naivete, lost-ness, and rocket-ship power of young adulthood in a confusing, groundless time. We Can Save Us All is part drug-fueled romp, part swashbuckling adventure, and all searching heart. I want to read this again with a group to discuss, because there is so much going on - questions of misogyny & rape culture that need some untangling - and so much just beautiful and smart writing and story construction. I could actually feel how fun and exciting t ...more
Ed Bernard
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book crammed with ideas and intelligent observations that, for me, ultimately collapses under the weight of its own weirdness. It’s a combination of dystopian novel, coming of age tale, social satire, superhero-themed adventure … all taking place on the campus of Princeton University. As environmental calamities foreshadow a possible apocalypse, our protagonist falls in with a visionary leader – together, they create a band of superheroes whose powers lie in practical skills. It’s an exhilarat ...more
Mark Schlatter
It's a pre-(and not post-)apocalyptic novel about some Princeton undergrads, most of whom who have left the school, gathered in a geodesic dome, ingested drugs to give them a sense of the impending doom and their place in it, turned from liberal arts pursuits to more survival-based studies (pharmacology, energy generation, martial arts, ...), and adopted superhero personas and costumes as part of a JLA-type community.

And if any of that gives you pause, if you have any concerns about
MGF
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
The cover blurb compares this to Don Delillo, but that's a mistake. It deals with the kinds of end-of-days disasters that Delillo would but the focus is mostly on personal relationships and insecurities. And that's a fine choice and an interesting one, but it made it a little hard to feel the sense of urgency that the characters seem to be faced with. There was also a point when things were coming to a climax and I thought, "Wait, these are a bunch of 19-year-olds." That also made it hard to rea ...more
Sierra
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I shall give this book 3.5 stars! I want to push it up to four, but I can't. And I think that's because it just took me a long time (for me) to get through. There wasn't that feeling of "Oh, I need to read asap to know what happens next." I enjoyed this book and definitely would recommend it to anyone who enjoys superheroes, the concept of time, and stories about figuring out why you're here.
Angela
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was just not for me. I hung in until the end but only through sheer willpower. I could not relate or care about any of the characters and at times I became totally lost in the story. But, remember this is just my opinion.
Cassandra Wilhelm
It was decently written, but overall, just not my type of book.
Michael
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was not my bag. I think that I was expecting something entirely different - so probably other readers should do their research first!
Cyd Katz seidel
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the concept more than the book itself. It was a little too long and some things about it pissed me off
Makenzie
The characters are insufferable but the premise is great .
Danna
Truthfully, I have no idea how I ended up adding this book to my Want to Read shelf. This is not my type. I did read 60+ pages, which held a lot of clever lines. Despite the wit, I couldn’t persist. Or didn’t want to.

• Writing on the Wall: Selected Prison Writings of Mumia Abu-Jamal
  • La Princesse Du Sang
  • The Digital Writing Workshop
  • Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Blacker: A Memoir in Essays
  • Remembering Jim Crow: African Americans Tell About Life in the Segregated South
  • Every Shot Counts: Using the Revolutionary Strokes Gained Approach to Improve Your Golf Performance  and Strategy
  • The Trials of White Boy Rick (Kindle Single)
  • Hellblazer: Papa Midnite
  • Out in the Open
  • The John Carlos Story: The Sports Moment That Changed the World
  • Vengeance
  • The Bouncer
  • The Fools in Town Are on Our Side
  • Play All: A Bingewatcher’s Notebook
  • Desperadoes
  • A People's History of Sports in the United States: 250 Years of Politics, Protest, People, and Play
  • Three Envelopes (Agent 10483 #1)
“Who saves the day when everyone needs saving?” 0 likes