Start by marking “Kiera” as Want to Read:
Kiera

Kiera

(Kiera #1)

Kiera is terrified! Getting drafted would mean leaving her family, her little friend Jade—life as she knows it.

A surprising offer from Brennan Stewart just might be t
Published June 22nd 2018 by Toward Home Press

To ask other readers questions about Kiera, please sign up.
Kate Willis Because Kiera is similar in age and lifestyle to me, I did base some of her emotional reactions off how I would feel in the situations she faces. ;) S…moreBecause Kiera is similar in age and lifestyle to me, I did base some of her emotional reactions off how I would feel in the situations she faces. ;) She's definitely more mature and capable than I am, though. XD (less)
Kate Willis Destiny and Jade were some of the most fun to write, but I'm probably gonna have to say my favorite is Kiera. ;) Who is your favorite?

Start your review of Kiera
Kate Willis
May 01, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Aaaaaand it's a wrap! The book is born! *collapses in a pile of confetti*

Do you see what I see? A COVER!!! <3 <3

This book of my heart is scheduled to come out mid- to late-June. I can't wait to share it with you! <3

Suggested age 16+

Content advisory:
Brief mentions of abortion, embryo storage and adoption
"Off-screen" death
Brief mentions of a hard childhood including physical abuse
Light romance (message for more details) ;)

(For a more detailed content advisory, check out this review: https://booksf
Angela Watts
3.5 stars!

Kiera is a well-woven coming of age story about a young woman who chooses family instead of war--a much-loved twist on most YA dystopian novels! I'm tired of dysto's having females who MUST FIGHT! This was a great twist in the market and written fabulously.

The lack of stars comes from world-building. The family relationships, character arcs, storyline--it was all executed satisfyingly, but there was a lack of backstory as far as 'how did the world become like this?' etc etc that occasi
Kellyn Roth
Me: Oh, I want to read that book!
Other Me: *slaps Me* YOU DID READ THAT BOOK! You were a beta-reader.
Me: OH! I guess the cover just threw me off. *nods*

If the final draft is as good as the beta-reader draft, well, this is going to be amazing! xD ;P Review to come when it's published, and I get a final copy!
Sarah Grace Grzy
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 15+ for mild romance and thematic elements
4.5 stars.

Okay, wow. So I knew I was going to love this from way back when before it was even completely written. But Kate Willis definitely blew it out of the water! *slow clap*

First off, this book is so unique. A dystopian marriage of convenience? I would never have thought it, and I'm not sure anybody else has either because I've never heard of anything similar. *mind blow* Oftentimes, marriages of convenience can get a bit iffy and tend to fall into the "too much information" category for m
Libby May
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*gawks*
*gawks more*
*keeps gawking*

*screams*

*calms down*

Ok, now let's try for a review maybe- *screams*

Ok, ok. Ok.

Ok.
Umm. Like folks. This book. Umm. A bajillion stars? More then that? All the stars ever? The universe?

I can't even believe this. I love it so much. And it's mine to keep forever and ever because I bought a signed copy.

And... y'all. You have to read it.

Do you hear me? I can't even think straight! I'm just insanely in love with this book.

Maybe I will make more sense tomorrow. *bl
Mikayla
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give this book ten stars. It. was. so. good.

I'm a very biased reader. I've known this author for almost two years and I've been hearing little snatches of this book for almost a year. I'd already fallen in love with the characters before I started the book.

First off, let's talk about the characters, shall we? Kiera is an extremely relatable young adult. She deals with a lot of real issues, and you've just got to love her for her wanting to get better at things. And goodness this
R.A.

Oh my, that was really good! Kind of surprised me how everything went about!

The characters were amazing! I felt so drawn to each of them! Brennan, Jade, and Keira were so nice! Jade's baby-talk is so cute - I could totally picture her doing it! Keira's friend was hilarious! And Thorne was so sweet … <3 <3 (view spoiler)
Hailey Rose
This book is so beautiful!!! I picked this as part of my birthday gifts and it's wonderful. <3

Kiera definitely kept my attention all the way through--I finished this book in two days! Some things I loved about this book was 1) Jade!!! She's so sweet and adorable, and I loved her and Kiera's relationship. 2) Destiny. 'Nuff said. ;) 3) Kiera's deep love for others, despite her struggles. She is a fantastic example of Christ's love.

Some things I didn't like so much: 1) I didn't understand the huge
Amanda Tero
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Even though I’m not a romantic, marriage-of-convenience stories have always intrigued me. This one being a futuristic story just added to that intrigue.

As far as the romance goes, it definitely was clean, without an intense focus on the emotions or “special touches.” I did find some details slightly confusing, as Keira supposedly struggled with knowing the balance of being just friends and not flirty with guys (which is a good message!), but it wasn’t expounded on. Though this was squeaky-clean,
Angie Thompson
Oh! This book! Just--yes, yes, yes!

I went into this almost blind--beta-reading with no reviews and no synopsis--so I had no idea what I was getting in for. I had to put it down a few chapters in to get sleep before Sunday morning, and it's not an exaggeration to say that I not only thought about it but dreamed about it almost incessantly the rest of the night.

This story just completely blew me away! The writing was so good--it totally sucked me in from the very first scene. The near-future setti
Aria
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“Kiera is looking forward to her eighteenth birthday. The official end of school, a party with her best friend, and chocolate cake. A sudden military draft, no possible exemptions, had never crossed her mind.
A surprising offer from Brennan Stewart just might be the answer to her prayers, but an even worse trial leaves her with one question…
If God truly loves her, w
Brooklyne
Feb 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Hannah
Okay, we definitely need more of this sort of story, about choosing Christ in a totalitarian regime. It's a dystopian setting in a future America, where Christians have been deemed dangerous if they take the Bible seriously in certain areas.

This is also a great story about a marriage of convenience, sweet and chaste throughout. Kiera is a lovable character and so is Brennan. It was fun to see the part about daily life and which things are imagined to be the same and which to be different.

Person
S.G. Willoughby
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian
I opened Kiera last night before sleeping, intending to read a chapter or two... well, four hours later I had finished the book. XD That's the second night I've done that. I need to catch up on sleep sometime.

Anyway, this book was fun! Most of the dystopian books I've read were set in the middle of a war, with lots of action, violence, etc.. Kiera was different in a good way. A war was going on, sure, but this wasn't set on the frontline. This was the home front. Keira wasn't a stereotypical str
Parker Hankins
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Wow!! This book was amazing!!

First off, the characters were amazing!! I mean, Kiera held my interest, Brennan was really neat, Destiny always had me smiling, and Jade and the kids were the cutest!! (Those children were written so perfectly real to children, it made me smile so big every time I read about them.) I didn't like Jessica at first until a certain happening that I won't mention because it's a spoiler. (Spoiling's a book sin.) Plus, they were all unique.

Oh, and Ian was really, really ne
Allyson
Yay, I finally read this book! Kate Willis is a very talented author, and her first full-length novel showcases her talents. I feel that she put her soul into this novel, making it a must-read. Here are some things I loved about Kiera:

Jade's Characterization: Miss Willis did an excelling job depicting Jade, a two-year-old girl whom Kiera takes care of. Her baby talk and actions were spot-on of that of actual toddlers, and it was adorable!

Kiera's Friendship with Destiny: Kiera and Destiny are BFF
Malachi Cyr
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For me this book was like a staunch coffee drinker suddenly realizing he had just thoroughly enjoyed a cup of tea. It definitely wasn't my usual genre, and had no camouflage, sabotage, or espionage, yet I found myself enjoying it through and through. Although the basic concept of the plot may not have been the most original, certain aspects of it were really innovative and awesome. The characters were really the best part of the book, in my opinion. Especially Jade. And Brennan. And I never knew ...more
A.L. Buehrer
So, I read Kate Willis’ brother’s dystopian Crossroads and thought it was cool that not only was his sister also publishing a dystopia, but the two books were actually set in the same universe. Kiera is a very different book than Crossroads, which I expected. There’s even been some debate as to what genre this novel truly is, which I intend to address under “Things I Thought Were Weird” at the bottom of this review, so stay tuned.

Things I Liked:

• Normal people with normal lives populate this boo
Merie Shen
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, I finally got around to reading this book... and I do not regret it! Kate Willis is an amazing writer, and this book certainly displays that quite clearly. Reading it was a joy! A clean Christian convenience-marriage story set in a dystopian future... wow. It is such a unique and interesting new idea, and we definitely need more of these kinds of books in our times.

First of all, may I just applaud Kate on the awesome worldbuilding job? Dystopian worlds always feel way too similar in most of
Addy S.
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
*FTC DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts and opinions.*

There are no words for what I'm feeling right now. This book was probably one of the most beautiful stories I've ever read THIS YEAR!!! I can't believe how good it is. While I try to collect my thoughts, here are the details on content:

~Language: NONE! (I appreciate this so much)
~Romance: several kisses, forehead kiss, hugs, hand holding, etc. (Not too des
Isabel
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
GUYS WHOAAA *is shook*
First off-powerful Christian themes. Yass.
Secondly, *sort of not really a spoiler cause it happens right at the beginning* PLATONIC MARRIAGE RELATIONSHIP...LIKE WHAT HOW DID SHE PULL THAT OFF (talk about love redefined-thank you Kate)
This book talks about a ton of heavy topics, like female drafting, abortion and embryo freezing/termination, persecution in the church, and young parenting. However, I think Kate talked about all of these topics with grace and with power and re
Sarah Susanna Rhomberg
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, dystopian
This novel is amazing! It immediately became one of my favorites, which is not a small success.

“Kiera” is a dystopian novel and Kate Willis touches on what persecution could look like in western countries only a few years down the road. The book is set in a changing world, where living out a Christian lifestyle is forbidden.

For me, Kiera is a very relatable character. She is practical and emotional at the same time. She loves children, but sometimes gets impatient. She is realistically written
Age Appropriate For: 15 and up for thematic elements.
Best for Ages: 15 and up

I love this book so much!

Okay, I have a confession. I really like marriage-of-connivance books. However, I don’t often read them because I fell like most of them aren’t very God-honoring in their content. This book was nothing like those books. This book was sweet, clean, and god-honoring in so many ways.

The setting is the near future where the world is at war and hostility toward Christianity increased. This was done
Jes Drew
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an intriguing twist to the marriage of convenience trope, set in a slightly dystopian, near future America. I really felt for the family and the hard decisions they faced in light of new laws- and the decisions that were out of their hands. I really liked the makeshift family and slow pace of watching them getting used to each other. I didn't so much like the family's tragedies and how fast it all seemed to happen. All in all, though, it was a fresh twist to one of my favorite tropes an ...more
Eva

Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Gracelyn Buckner
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**FTC DISCLOSURE: I received a complimentary copy of this book. A positive review was not required. These are my honest thoughts and opinions. **

5 Stars

Wow! This was so good! Before Kiera, I hadn't read any of Ms. Willis' books. I'm so glad I tried this one!

~wonderfuls~

the setting

Truthfully, this was probably my favorite part of Kiera. The setting was just so cool. I don't read a lot of books with futuristic settings, but I really enjoyed this one. At first, I was a bit confused about the de
Lilian
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviews
I definitely enjoyed this book a lot. The writing is amazing and very clean, and it’s interesting to see a slightly different world of technology, and how Kate calls them devices (just a random thought I’ve been thinking about). Also, I'm probably the only one, but I didn't really like Jade that much? *hides* (view spoiler) ...more
Lydia Howe
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Why I Choose This Book:

Kate Willis has long been one of my favorite bloggers. Her blogging style is so easy to fall into and she writes with the perfect combination of heart and details. Her books are the same way, and I was happy to get to review her short book "Twin Arrows" a year or so ago and was excited at the chance to read and review "Kiera", too.

What I Thought of This Book:

Can we just start out by saying I was blown away? I'd heard various things over the last year or two about this b

• Plan to Fail (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #2)
  • A Very Bookish Christmas
  • Live Without You
  • Red Rover, Red Rover (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #1)
  • Fair in War (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #8)
  • Once Upon a Dime (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #6)
  • Dandelion Dust
  • When Beauty Blooms
  • The Lost Clue
  • The Case of the Cereal Robber (The Kitten Files, #3)
  • A-Spying We Will Go (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #5)
  • Counted Worthy
  • Diamonds 2020: Fighting Together: Study Guide
  • The Rebellion (Tales of Tarsurella #2)
  • A Brother Is Born
  • Five Star Spy (The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott, #7)
  • The Reluctant Godfather (The Tales of Ambia, #1)
  • At the Christmas Lodge (Christmas Collection)
Kate Willis likes nothing more than a good story and a thoughtful conversation, preferably with a side of chai tea. Her love for Jesus Christ and her big, closeknit family inspire every story. She is an avid reader and enjoys writing for all ages.

News & Interviews

“Conversation was only awkward because she searched for something important to say. Friends didn't do that. Friends let their thoughts become words without trying to change them.” 13 likes