Start by marking “Just After Midnight” as Want to Read:
Just After Midnight

Just After Midnight

From the New York Times bestselling author of Pay It Forward comes an uplifting and poignant novel about friendship, trust, and facing your fears.

No longer tolerating her husband’s borderline abuse, Faith escapes to her parents’ California beach house to plan her next move. She never dreamed her new chapter would involve befriending Sarah, a fourteen-year-old on the run

Published December 4th 2018 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Just After Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just After Midnight

Amy
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-arcs
I swear there is no other author who writes about unlikely friendships quite as authentically as CRH does, many of her novels showcase new relationships between a young person and someone older but each new book sheds light on various themes and issues making them unique. I don’t often use the term page turner in WF but her books really are, once you enter the world she creates it’s hard to step back into reality.

This follows Faith, a woman who just left her husband and Sarah a young teenager wh
ABCme
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
Thank you Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for the ARC.

They meet on the beach: Faith, in the proces of divorcing her mentally abusive husband, and Sarah, a 14 year old who accuses her father of the death of her mother. In the months that follow the woman track Sarah's horse, put on the market by her father to pay off his gambling debts. The horsewhispering is very soothing in the turmoil of events.
This book reads like a breeze, at the same time dealing with fear, safety and security, caring f
Krista
Rating: 5 stars

Okay, I’ll admit it. I’m a late-comer to author Catherine Ryan Hyde. I’ve only read three or four of her previous books, but they have all been high-quality reads. This book extends that track record with me. It features a friendship between Faith and Sarah. It’s a bit of a murder mystery; a coming-of-age story; a woman leaving an abusive relationship story; and glimpse into the business of horse dressage. Whew, from that description, you’d think it would be all over the place, b
Barbara
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
A huge disappointment from a favourite author. Seemed like a book more suitable for young adults. Hated the constant reference to “the girl” instead of using the girls name.
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Just After Midnight is one of those stories that make you cry both tears of sorrow and of joy. It tells a story about two people who struggle in this world and are still able to touch others. Faith and Sarah’s relationship is just one that you want to have. I really liked the way the book told the story from just one point of view. I love the message this novel relays to its readers. That there is hope. That given time, there can be change. That ultimately, love reigns. And that often, doing wha ...more
Glady
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

Just After Midnight will appeal to young adults who are transitioning to adult novels. The plot is quite uncomplicated with just hints of betrayal and fear. The major character, Faith, is leaving a bad marriage behind; although she states numerous times that her husband never hit her, there is enough of an underlying threat that she must keep her present location unknown to him. She wants out of her marriage to the point whe
Nance Roepke
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Disappointing

Although her books are very formulaic and close to YA fiction , I have been a fan of Ms. Hyde and have read eight of her books. Perhaps it is because of the repetitive formula of each of her books that I have not really liked this one . Perhaps it is just that I have read so many of them . Or perhaps it is characteristics of this particular book as well as the difficult-to-believe aspects of her formula that makes it my least favorite . But I think, on top of those factors, there we
Diane Perry
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Get your tissues ready because you will do the ugly cry. Sarah and Faith are both suffering for two very different reasons. They find a way to save each other through some of the worse heartbreak. This is a great book and a powerful story.
Kat, aka
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 well deserved stars!!

Catherine Ryan Hyde is a very prolific author. I've only read a couple of her titles. But I want it known that I have thoroughly enjoyed all of them - Just After Midnight not being an exception.

We start with one of our main characters, Faith, looking out the window at her dad's beach house, which she arrived to the day before after leaving her husband. She goes out on the beach and talks to this young girl for a few minutes before the girl runs off. She notices what hous
Linda
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy books by Catherine Ryan Hyde. She knows how to weave a story that will capture your heart and keep you turning pages. This one is no different. It’s a very touching story of a girl and her horse. How they were separated and how it affected them both. The world of horses is a beautiful one and it was good to read a story that told so much about showing horses. Told so much about the bond between the horse and the owner.

Sarah lost her mother to suspicious circumstances and she is p
Mrs Mommy Booknerd http://mrsmommybooknerd.blogspot.com
#FirstLine ~ Faith stood in line to buy two chicken soft tacos from the food truck serviced that weekend's dressage show.

Catherine Ryan Hyde is a genius in story telling. Her stories are a perfect blend of emotions, complex characters that you instantly love and a strong main plot with other beautiful side stories. She takes and blends it all together and creates magic. I loved how much I felt connected to this story and the characters within it. I felt everything right along with the characters
Louetta Waters
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced readers digital copy of this book from Lake Union Publishing through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review and unbiased opinion. A positive review was not required.

I love books by Catherine Ryan Hyde, they never fail to move and entertain me. Just After Midnight was no exception. The writing was stellar, the plot grabbed me from the first page. I loved the characters. true
The story left me with all the feel goods and shows true friendship can come in many forms. I ful
Chasidy Kaye Jones
Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for a review.
This book was a little better than ok to me. I figured out the end way before I got to it. Not a book I would choose to read a second time. I did not really have a hard time reading it but was ready to get done with it the whole time because I know I have better books waiting for me.
Jen
Dec 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Review to come
Echo Heron
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was very boring and repetitive.
Sue
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully written novel about family and love and helping other people when you can. It's about a woman and a teenager with major problems that learn to help each other understand their lives and search for happier times.

Faith has left her mentally and psychological abusive husband and is hiding in her parents cottage on the Pacific shore. Sarah is a 14 year old girl, living with her grandmother and hiding from her father after the suspicious death of her mother. They meet and seem
Chronicles of a Bookish Mom
Catherine Ryan Hyde has another bestseller on her hands. Her upcoming release Just After Midnight continues her book theme of a plot that centers around a horse and an older character helping a younger character find a sense of peace and well being. Faith and Sarah are two people that have both suffered life changing loses in their own different ways. Faith has recently left her husband and is seeking refuge in her families beach house when she meets Sarah. Sarah is a 14 yr old girl that has wit ...more
Deanna Sletten
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A young girl is coming to terms with a tragedy. A grown woman is running from her husband. A grandmother is fighting desperately to get custody of her granddaughter. When these three people meet, their lives are forever changed, surprisingly by a beautiful horse.

Author Catherine Ryan Hyde creates magic again in her latest novel, Just After Midnight. Hyde is a master at creating down-to-earth stories with characters that you feel you know immediately and want to root for from the get-go. She uses
Alison
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This author for me has always written a good story, one that always keeps me involved. She always has a great message to portray, throughout the story,and of the people she is writing about.
This book centers around a 14 year old girl, Sarah and her horse midnight, Sarah's grandmother Constance and Faith a woman running from her past and a controlling husband.
After a tragedy, these three meet and bond together first as strangers, but then as a team. It is a story of the girl devastated by the sal
Cat Kelley
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book renews my faith in people.

This young girl has witnessed the unthinkable, looses her mother and hides from her father. Out of the goodness of her heart, a young, scared woman hiding from her estranged and possibly violent husband, puts her fears aside to help the young teenaged girl in her quest to overcome her heartbreak over the loss of her special friend, her horse. It does my heart good to know there is some good left in this world if only in this writer's imagination!

This book was
Marty
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Received this in exchange for an honest review. Thank you. I have read two other Catherine Ryan Hyde books and thought this would be as good as the others which both received 5 star reviews on my part.
Let me say that I did not love this book. I found myself skimming over the subtext hoping to get to some meaningful dialog or something to move the story along. I did find Ms. Hyde has interesting insight on knowing your own worth in that Faith was willing to give up everything to be rid of Robert.
Heather Jolet
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story! I loved it!
Nancy Davis
Just before midnight

Enjoyed the book. Learned some interesting new things without having to wade through too much technical stuff about dressage. Quiet, relaxing read.
Jane Lebak
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable and absorbing. Plus horses. :-)
Donna
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Kindle unlimited . Not good
Laura L. Nevels
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Not bad

I know absolutely nothing about horses but that wasn't really a problem. The beginning of the story didn't flow very well. I found it to be awkward and somewhat confusing. I didn't begin to take a liking to the book until I was one-third of the way through the book. I had to force myself to keep reading. After a while it did get better but geez oh man. It was kind of torturous.
Lisa N
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’m a sucker for a good horse story, and I’ve read several books by this author (some good, some not so good). This was just OK - 2.5 stars. It was sweet, but unrealistic. It’s really nice that a complete stranger would put her life on hold to help a sad teenager. But would a grandmother really let her 14 year old granddaughter spend the summer with a total stranger? Good enough that I was able to finish reading it, but nothing notable to make me recommend it to others.
ROBIN RUIZ
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Faith and Sarah! A story of courage and second chances.
Sarah is dealing with the loss of her mom and her horse ( they have an incredible bond) and Faith is hiding from her mentally abusive husband , so he can be served with divorce papers !
These two took me on an incredible journey of trust and friendship and taught me a lot about horses along the way !
Jodie
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I think this would be a great book for a pre-teen teen/teenage horse crazy girl! As an adult, I found myself wondering about a few things that seemed a bit far-fetched - 1) why would Sarah's grandmother let a complete stranger take her granddaughter? 2) why did Sarah seem more upset about her horse being sold than she did about her mom's death? 3) Faith's dad is really ok supporting his adult daughter (who doesn't have a job or her own money) while she takes a kid she just met to follow a horse ...more
Joan
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fourteen year old Sarah is staying with her grandmother when they meet and befriend Faith who has at last plucked up the courage to escape from her marriage, fleeing to her parent’s beach house. Sarah has recently lost her mother to an act of suicide and is in hiding from her father, kept safe by her grandmother, who is also grief stricken by the death of her daughter.
Sarah is totally devastated by another event initiated by her father; the quick and secret sale of her beloved dressage horse Fa
I am the author of more than 30 published and forthcoming books, including ALLIE AND BEA, SAY GOODBYE FOR NOW, LEAVING BLYTHE RIVER, ASK HIM WHY, WORTHY, THE LANGUAGE OF HOOFBEATS, TAKE ME WITH YOU, WHERE WE BELONG, WHEN I FOUND YOU, WALK ME HOME, SECOND HAND HEART, DON'T LET ME GO, and WHEN YOU WERE OLDER.

I'm an avid hiker, traveler, equestrian, and amateur photographer, and have released my fir
“pretend that the world could not—would not—strike with no notice, offering up a loss that could take a person’s breath away. Of course it can, she thought, and you know it better than just about anybody. We only pretend it can’t, a minute or two at a time, to help us get up and out of the house in the morning.” 1 likes
“Because when you really love someone, you want them to be happy. Even if it can’t be with you.” 0 likes