Start by marking “Just After Midnight” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews

From the New York Times bestselling author of Pay It Forward comes an uplifting and poignant novel about friendship, trust, and facing your fears.

No longer tolerating her husband’s borderline abuse, Faith escapes to her parents’ California beach house to plan her next move. She never dreamed her new chapter would involve befriending Sarah, a fourteen-year-old on the run

Expected publication: December 4th 2018 by Lake Union Publishing

Availability: 100 copies available, 1144 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Nov 06 - Dec 03, 2018

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Just After Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just After Midnight

Amy
    Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: physical-arcs
    I swear there is no other author who writes about unlikely friendships quite as authentically as CRH does, many of her novels showcase new relationships between a young person and someone older but each new book sheds light on various themes and issues making them unique. I don’t often use the term page turner in WF but her books really are, once you enter the world she creates it’s hard to step back into reality.

This follows Faith, a woman who just left her husband and Sarah a young teenager wh
    ABCme
    Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: kindle, netgalley
    Thank you Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for the ARC.

They meet on the beach: Faith, in the proces of divorcing her mentally abusive husband, and Sarah, a 14 year old who accuses her father of the death of her mother. In the months that follow the woman track Sarah's horse, put on the market by her father to pay off his gambling debts. The horsewhispering is very soothing in the turmoil of events.
    This book reads like a breeze, at the same time dealing with fear, safety and security, caring f
    Chasidy Kaye Jones
    Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for a review.
    This book was a little better than ok to me. I figured out the end way before I got to it. Not a book I would choose to read a second time. I did not really have a hard time reading it but was ready to get done with it the whole time because I know I have better books waiting for me.
    Diane Perry
    Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I received this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Get your tissues ready because you will do the ugly cry. Sarah and Faith are both suffering for two very different reasons. They find a way to save each other through some of the worse heartbreak. This is a great book and a powerful story.
    Anna Meyer
    Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Catherine Ryan Hyde has another bestseller on her hands. Her upcoming release Just After Midnight continues her book theme of a plot that centers around a horse and an older character helping a younger character find a sense of peace and well being. Faith and Sarah are two people that have both suffered life changing loses in their own different ways. Faith has recently left her husband and is seeking refuge in her families beach house when she meets Sarah. Sarah is a 14 yr old girl that has wit ...more
    Cat Kelley
    Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
    This book renews my faith in people.

This young girl has witnessed the unthinkable, looses her mother and hides from her father. Out of the goodness of her heart, a young, scared woman hiding from her estranged and possibly violent husband, puts her fears aside to help the young teenaged girl in her quest to overcome her heartbreak over the loss of her special friend, her horse. It does my heart good to know there is some good left in this world if only in this writer's imagination!

This book was
    Sep 05, 2018 rated it liked it
    I enjoyed the book but it wasn't my favorite. I absolutely loved Allie and Bea, Heaven Adjacent and Leaving Blythe River and this book just didn't give me the same feelings. It was a great book, I just didn't love it. Sarah and Faith's relationship reminded me a little bit of Allie and Bea's. Loved parts of the story and most of the characters. I hate to say that I never loved Sarah. At times I just didn't like her. Would someone allow their granddaughter to go off with a complete stranger? I wo ...more
    Glady
    Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
    Shelves: netgalley
    I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review.

Just After Midnight will appeal to young adults who are transitioning to adult novels. The plot is quite uncomplicated with just hints of betrayal and fear. The major character, Faith, is leaving a bad marriage behind; although she states numerous times that her husband never hit her, there is enough of an underlying threat that she must keep her present location unknown to him. She wants out of her marriage to the point whe
    MaryAnn
    Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I am a total fan of Catherine Ryan Hyde and was beyond excited to be approved via Netgalley for an ARC of her latest, Just After Midnight. I've read everything she's written and have to say this was AMAZING and that might even be not a big enough or descriptive enough term, but it's all I've got.

This book, after everything is said and done, is about the goodness in people, the kindness of strangers, and the love and caring people show for their fellow man. The characters are so full bodied and f
    Peg
    Just After Midnight is an enjoyable, well-written, character-driven novel.

Faith was hiding out at her family’s beach house. She didn’t want to be anywhere near her controlling husband when he discovered that she was divorcing him. Faith knew that her life was about to change in a big way but would never have guessed that a teenage girl was going to be the main reason for it.

Sarah was crushed. She hated and blamed her father for her mother’s sudden death, for selling her horse, and for basically
    David
    Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I am a fan of Catherine Ryan Hyde, having read 8 of her books. They are all different, but usually have a theme of a young person who is helped by someone more mature. This book carries forward that theme very well.
    Set in the horse culture of Southern California, this book focuses on the relationship between a young teenaged girl and her horse. A child prodigy in dressage, Sarah loses her horse Midnight when the mare is sold by her father. Although a potential champion, Midnight will not perfor
    Eileen Keane
    Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Faith has just left her husband and is taking refuge in her family’s beach house. She strikes up a random conversation with a young girl named Sarah, who looks like she needs a friend.
    Sarah has lost her mother and her beloved dressage horse, Midnight, in a very short period. Her mother through death and Midnight through being sold.
    Almost without realizing it, Faith, Sarah and Sarah’s grandmother Constance, join forces to keep Sarah away from her father, whom she suspects as having something to
    N Vincent Zinke
    Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I was lucky to receive an ARC of Just After Midnight.

This is one of Catherine Ryan Hyde's best works. I have only a little experience horseback riding, and no experience riding dressage, but the book captivated me from the very beginning. Plus, I learned some things about horses and about dressage training and competition. Learning something new is always a bonus in reading a new book.

Most importantly, of course, the story is full of exquisitely described and developed relationships: between a
    Janet
    Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Another winner by Catherine Ryan Hyde. I have never written to an author about a book I’ve read but when I finished this one, I did! I just felt likeh I needed to thank her for sharing her gift with her readers. Faith has just left her husband, and she has gone to her family’s beach house. There she meets a young girl- about 13-14 years old, Sarah. Sarah has more problems than Faith and is currently mad at the world. Sarah learns to trust Faith and they become friends. This friendship takes them ...more
    Laurie
    Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
    This is a wonderful story which features family, loyalty, love and self- sacrifice.

"Sometimes the worst circumstances bring out the best in people." This quote from the book is on target in the case of the two main characters, Faith and Sarah.
    These two, a teenager and a young woman, meet by chance but become very important to each other over time. Both are trying to escape conflicts stemming from their pasts.
    A horse, so loved and cared for with devotion, plays a pivotal role in the life of bot
    R
    Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    This was a story about devastating losses and the consequences of those losses, but also about redemption, love, new friendships, and the ultimate kindness of strangers and friends alike. In the center of all this, was fourteen year old Sarah. With her mother’s sudden death, Sarah’s life was shattered. Shortly thereafter, Sarah’s most beloved horse, Midnight, was sold by her gambling addict father. This second loss shattered her world. Yet, the kindness of strangers, and one in particular, Faith ...more
    Donna Hines
    Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: arc, netgalley
    You can run but you may not always be able to hide as Faith knows all too well this reality.
    Faith escapes an abusive spouse headed to California to her parents beach house while befriending Sarah.
    Sarah is as mysterious as a 14 yr teen can whose on the run from her father while seeking answers to her mother's suspicious death.
    The journey they take together is eye opening as they travel the narrow roads together in the comfort of Midnight the horse Sarah has confided in as their bond is unbreakabl
    Heather
    Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
    I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review - thank you!
    I enjoyed this book. It was the second book by Catherine Ryan Hyde that I read, and I will likely read more. I enjoy that the author ties in bonds with animals into her books in a way that is very real to the reader. Even though I have absolutely zero knowledge about horses, the book explained enough to educate me, but not too much to bore me.
    I enjoyed the storyline of this book and would give it 3.5 star
    Diane
    Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    Just After Midnight by author Catherine Ryan Hyde is another wonderful book by this author. The story is filled with family drama, a broken-hearted teenaged girl, and new acquaintances and experiences. Faith, Sarah, and Constance each meet in an unexpected place and a bond of trust is formed. They share disappointment and fear but learn they are stronger than they ever knew! How much would you personally give to ensure the peace and healing of another person?
    A beautifully written book by a wonde
    Jodie
    Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    I think this would be a great book for a pre-teen teen/teenage horse crazy girl! As an adult, I found myself wondering about a few things that seemed a bit far-fetched - 1) why would Sarah's grandmother let a complete stranger take her granddaughter? 2) why did Sarah seem more upset about her horse being sold than she did about her mom's death? 3) Faith's dad is really ok supporting his adult daughter (who doesn't have a job or her own money) while she takes a kid she just met to follow a horse ...more
    Jan Crossen
    Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    I read an ARC of this book and absolutely LOVED IT! I enjoyed the story line and thought the characters were authentic. I admire their strengths and can relate to their vulnerabilities. I want them as MY friends! When I finished the book, I was almost giddy with delight. It gave me hope, something we all need these days! It was fun to learn about the world of dressage and to witness the strong bond between Sarah and her horse. I have read every book by Catherine Ryan Hyde and I think this is her ...more
    Lynn
    Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Midnight is a horse, not a time of day. Sarah loves Falkner's Midnight Sun. Fiercely. She was her horse, until Sarah's father sold the mare to pay off some debt. Now, as Sarah and her grandmother are spending some time at the beach, hoping to relax and evade Sarah's father, they become acquainted with Faith who is seeking to escape from her own demons.

This is a wonderful story of the many ways in which love can change our lives.

I read this EARC courtesy of Net Galley and Lake Union pub date 12/0
    Vicki
    Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: netgalley-2018
    Many thanks to Lake Union Publishing, delivered through NetGalley, for the ARC of this book.

I loved this tale. It has been quite some time since I have read a story from Ms. Hyde but this reminds me that I need to start adding her backlist to my TBR pile. Such a poignant tale of the need to help others with a nice happy tears ending. I know absolutely nothing about horses, much less about dressage, but found it to be very interesting.
    kglibrarian
    Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
    With its straight forward story line, this is a good page-turner for when you want an enjoyable, quick read. The plot deals with issues such as domestic abuse, abandonment, love, and loss, but doesn't delve that deeply into them to be draining. My favorite thread in the story was the one following the connection between Sarah, a 14-year-old girl, and her horse. I found the animal scenes to be the most moving ones.
    Noreen
    Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
    Shelves: i-own-this-book
    This story of tragedy, deep sadness and escape brings a young teen and grandmother together with Faith who is escaping an unhappy marriage. They build an unusual bond that takes them on a summer run to stay safe. I thought the book was fine and if you love horses then you'll immerse yourself in the horse lingo/language.
    Sandy
    Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
    As in all of this authors books, there are so many awesome and generous characters. Great lessons on dressage and equestrians in this one. Friendships made for life. Giving and caring for new found friends. So much warmth and love. A girl and her horse torn apart; can they find their way to each other again. Great read!!!!
    Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC.
    Jamie
    Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    I received an E-ARC from Netgalley. I connected with each character, and appreciated how the story unfolded. I love how all of this author's novels end on a positive note. I really want to go ride a horse after reading this novel.
    Annette
    Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: books-read-2018
    The love between a girl and her horse! I really enjoyed the story! I’ve watched some dressage horse shows before and always thought it was so pretty.,
    I was alittle confused when the story goes back to the past but it soon straightened out for me. Definitely recommend her books!
    Theresa Smith Writes
    A deeply moving and engrossing novel. Full review to come closer to publication date.
    Leanna Mattea
    Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A long time fan of Catherine Ryan Hyde, I really enjoyed this story. While I’m not a horse person, I found the journey of Sarah and her horse Midnight, very educational, in the world of dressage and associated competition.
    Sarah loses both her horse and her mother within a short period of time. She meets Faith, a young woman, on her own journey to turn her life around, and they follow Midnight, with the intent to fix both of their story situations.
    A story of devastating losses, disappointments,
    I am the author of more than 30 published and forthcoming books, including ALLIE AND BEA, SAY GOODBYE FOR NOW, LEAVING BLYTHE RIVER, ASK HIM WHY, WORTHY, THE LANGUAGE OF HOOFBEATS, TAKE ME WITH YOU, WHERE WE BELONG, WHEN I FOUND YOU, WALK ME HOME, SECOND HAND HEART, DON'T LET ME GO, and WHEN YOU WERE OLDER.

I'm an avid hiker, traveler, equestrian, and amateur photographer, and have released my fir