Start by marking “Solarpunk: Ecological and Fantastical Stories in a Sustainable World” as Want to Read:
Solarpunk: Ecological and Fantastical Stories in a Sustainable World

Solarpunk: Ecological and Fantastical Stories in a Sustainable World

Imagine a sustainable world, run on clean and renewable energies that are less aggressive to the environment. Now imagine humanity under the impact of these changes. This is the premise Brazilian editor Gerson Lodi-Ribeiro proposed, and these authors took the challenge to envision hopeful futures and alternate histories. The stories in this anthology explore terrorism agai ...more
Published August 7th 2018 by World Weaver Press (first published January 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Solarpunk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solarpunk

Start your review of Solarpunk: Ecological and Fantastical Stories in a Sustainable World
Fiona
My second foray into the world of Solarpunk - and second buddy read with the awesome readers over at the Solarpunk group, where we've been reading and discussing this book.

My first venture was an exceptional and light-hearted affair. Perhaps unsurprisingly, given this book was translated from Portuguese after originally being published in Brazil, this was a much grittier affair. Already living in an economic dystopia must have it's effects on what you envision for the future.

But it's not just g
Kalin
I found this anthology through the Solarpunk group, where we've been discussing it. If you're interested in this bright new subgenre ;), by all means join us.

In terms of positive (or at least not dystopian) futures, Solarpunk doesn't quite deliver. Many of its visions are bleak in one way or another, or at least show no evolution of humankind as a whole. (But maybe more mature humans aren't mandatory for the genre? I'm new to it, so I'm still feeling my way.)

What I enjoyed the most was the chanc
Lena
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lena by: Solarpunk
Shelves: solarpunk, anthology
E90C882F-16D4-41DC-ACFC-CF29F365363F.jpg
Xibalba Dreams of the West by André S. Silva ★★★★★
This needs to be expanded into a book immediately! Welcome to an alternate history/future(?) that brings us a modern-day, storm-powered, unconquered Mesoamerica. It's a world of gods and demons, sacrifice and secrets. I want to know more!

29F86D73-5342-4401-879E-972FFF01F7E5.jpg
Sun in the Heart by Roberta Spindler ★★★★★
It’s a beautiful new world where the sun provides for humans completely through photonutrient tattoos.

But not equally.

Not everyone can afford the tattoos that bring p
K. Lincoln
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this anthology are quite diverse. Very, very interesting anthology overall both for the Brazil-centric POV of most of the stories as well as the solarpunk futuristic aspects.The first story "Soylent Green is People" by Carlos Orsi makes a strong start. Dealing with the disappearance of a rich old woman and her son, the author weaves in hard core science related to loose nitrogen compounds resulting from processing cellulose, the church, and coffee-loving into a Solarpunk version o ...more
Cristine
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vórtex
Gerson Lodi-Ribeiro está acompanhado de outros oito autores já conhecidos no cenário de ficção científica nacional.

Resenha completa no blog: http://www.cafeinaliteraria.com.br/20...
Johan Haneveld
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
On ordering this collection I didn't realise that this was originally a Brazilian publication, translated to English via a Kickstarter-campaign. So, there were no well known (to me) authors in here. It give me the chance to read some SF originally written in portuguese as I hadn't to my knowledge read any SF from that language before. That the stories were all set in South America, Brazil to be precise, gave them an intrigueing feel. It's always interesting to note different themes and flourishe ...more
André Caniato
Coletânea interessante, mas que promete mais do que cumpre. A maioria dos contos aqui não tem muito a ver com solarpunk (alguns não têm nada a ver com solarpunk, na verdade), mas a leitura ainda é, no geral, válida. Destaque para o excelente Soylent Green Is People, de Carlos Orsi.
Sheena Carroll
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Cyberpunk and steampunk are ubiquitous, but what on Earth is solarpunk? The concept is what caught my eye because I had never heard of self-sustaining/sustainable “-punk” literature before. The preface quotes the editor as saying that “…as a reader, I was feeling rather bored myself with all those old dystopian plots” of other -punk genres. That said, this collection gets pretty damn depressing and isn’t as utopian as one would expect.

In the preface, Sarena Ulibarri mentions that more are more w
Paulo Vinicius Figueiredo dos Santos
Coletânea de histórias com uma temática muito interessante. Não dei uma nota maior porque coletânea de contos é sempre um saco de gatos: algumas histórias gostamos e outras nem tanto.
Destaco dois grandes contos: Soylent Green is People de Carlos Orsi, e Sol no Coração de Roberta Spindler. São os melhores contos da coletânea.
Sara J. (kefuwa)
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sara J. by: Solarpunk GR Group
Shelves: 2019-laser
Interesting collection of stories for due to it being: i) Solarpunk; and, ii) Brazillian SF. Worth a go based on those two things alone. My fave is probably the story about the photoreceptive tattoos.

First finished: 11Jun19
Xibalba Sonha com o Oeste by André S. Silva - 4.5/5
Sol no Coração by Roberta Spindler - 4/5
Azul Cobalto e o Enigma by Gerson Lodi-Ribeiro - 3.5/5
Mia Myllymäki
Odotukset olivat liian suuret, myönnän. Tämä antologia osoittautui valitettavasti pettymykseksi. Daniel I. Dutran novelli Gary Johnson ja Roberta Spindlerin Sun in the Heart nousivat muita harkitumpina ja paremmin toteutettuina esille. Monissa teksteissä oli hyviä ideoita, mutta antologian toteutuksen taso ei palvellut niitä. Useissa teksteissä sorruttiin infodumppaamaan ja liikaan selittelyyn hahmojen ja tarinoiden kustannuksella.
Alessandro Ardovini
Quite a dark book to be solarpunk. It is one of the first solarpunk. The stories talk about things related to the natural world, though and a genre, a movement (solarpunk) needs to start somewhere.
Bravo to Gerson Lodi-Ribeiro, then!
Macquart
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
My first introduction to solar punk. It was targeting Brazilians readers, so I understand that it's a bit ethnocentric, but damn, the Brazilians love themselves so much. Ridiculously self centered. They're very wrong about Brazil being a world leader, but they were correct in putting Brazilian corruption in practically every of these short stories.

The story were (objectively) bad. A few were cool, notably:
- the one with the solar tattoo
- the one with the Mayans Gods

The other stories are just in
Jorge Candeias
Jan 14, 2018
Ada
May 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
***Who sucked me in***
Thomas from SFF180 in their SFF180 | Mailbag Monday | May 28, 2018 video on Youtube publicated on 28 mei 2018

Some hopeful science fiction stories. Sign me up!
Pedro Romariz Peixoto
May 08, 2020
Paula
rated it did not like it
Sep 16, 2020

• 魔道祖师 [Mo Dao Zu Shi]
  • 80,000 Hours: Find a fulfilling career that does good
  • Make It Till You Make It: 40 Myths & Truths About Creating
  • Kierkegaard in 90 Minutes
  • All Things Shining: Reading the Western Classics to Find Meaning in a Secular Age
  • The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves
  • Periodic Fasting: Repair your DNA, Grow Younger, and Learn to Appreciate your Food
  • Crescimento pessoal: As 59 falácias lógicas mais poderosas com exemplos e descrições de fácil compreensão: Aprenda a ganhar cada argumento usando e abusando da lógica
  • Utopia
  • The Sentinel
  • Marvels
Also uses the pseudonym Carla Cristina Pereira. See: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Also uses the pseudonym Daniel Alvarez. See: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...