Start by marking “Solarpunk: Ecological and Fantastical Stories in a Sustainable World” as Want to Read:
Solarpunk: Ecological and Fantastical Stories in a Sustainable World

Solarpunk: Ecological and Fantastical Stories in a Sustainable World

Imagine a sustainable world, run on clean and renewable energies that are less aggressive to the environment. Now imagine humanity under the impact of these changes. This is the premise Brazilian editor Gerson Lodi-Ribeiro proposed, and these authors took the challenge to envision hopeful futures and alternate histories. The stories in this anthology explore terrorism agai ...more
Published August 7th 2018 by World Weaver Press (first published January 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Solarpunk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solarpunk

Start your review of Solarpunk: Ecological and Fantastical Stories in a Sustainable World
Fiona
My second foray into the world of Solarpunk - and second buddy read with the awesome readers over at the Solarpunk group, where we've been reading and discussing this book.

My first venture was an exceptional and light-hearted affair. Perhaps unsurprisingly, given this book was translated from Portuguese after originally being published in Brazil, this was a much grittier affair. Already living in an economic dystopia must have it's effects on what you envision for the future.

But it's not just g
Kalin
I found this anthology through the Solarpunk group, where we've been discussing it. If you're interested in this bright new subgenre ;), by all means join us.

In terms of positive (or at least not dystopian) futures, Solarpunk doesn't quite deliver. Many of its visions are bleak in one way or another, or at least show no evolution of humankind as a whole. (But maybe more mature humans aren't mandatory for the genre? I'm new to it, so I'm still feeling my way.)

What I enjoyed the most was the chanc
Lena
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: solarpunk, anthology
E90C882F-16D4-41DC-ACFC-CF29F365363F.jpg
Xibalba Dreams of the West by André S. Silva ★★★★★
This needs to be expanded into a book immediately! Welcome to an alternate history/future(?) that brings us a modern-day, storm-powered, unconquered Mesoamerica. It's a world of gods and demons, sacrifice and secrets. I want to know more!

29F86D73-5342-4401-879E-972FFF01F7E5.jpg
Sun in the Heart by Roberta Spindler ★★★★★
It’s a beautiful new world where the sun provides for humans completely through photonutrient tattoos.

But not equally.

Not everyone can afford the tattoos that bring p
K. Lincoln
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this anthology are quite diverse. Very, very interesting anthology overall both for the Brazil-centric POV of most of the stories as well as the solarpunk futuristic aspects.The first story "Soylent Green is People" by Carlos Orsi makes a strong start. Dealing with the disappearance of a rich old woman and her son, the author weaves in hard core science related to loose nitrogen compounds resulting from processing cellulose, the church, and coffee-loving into a Solarpunk version o ...more
Cristine
Jan 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vórtex
Gerson Lodi-Ribeiro está acompanhado de outros oito autores já conhecidos no cenário de ficção científica nacional.

Resenha completa no blog: http://www.cafeinaliteraria.com.br/20...
Johan Haneveld
Feb 02, 2020 rated it liked it
On ordering this collection I didn't realise that this was originally a Brazilian publication, translated to English via a Kickstarter-campaign. So, there were no well known (to me) authors in here. It give me the chance to read some SF originally written in portuguese as I hadn't to my knowledge read any SF from that language before. That the stories were all set in South America, Brazil to be precise, gave them an intrigueing feel. It's always interesting to note different themes and flourishe ...more
Bryan Alexander
What an interesting and unusual book. I came to Solarpunk expecting optimistic stories about the world during the climate crisis. I found that, but also more.

To explain: this is a science fiction anthology about the future after global warming has had some impact on the world. The nature of that impact varies from story to story. Also varying is the subgenre of story. Solarpunk offers alternate history, detective fiction, cyberpunk,

I was delighted to read stories all from Brazil. That's part of
Stef Rozitis
I didn't necessarily like every story, some of the wording was clunky and I would like more female voices however this was interesting, especially the last story (novella?) which asked ethical questions about loyalty and co-existance, while also being problematic in the way Anna Hickey-Moody discusses in her critique of a view of disability as remasculanised through prosthetics. There's an interesting view of disability in the story in any case whatever you end up making of it.

A couple of the s
André Caniato
Coletânea interessante, mas que promete mais do que cumpre. A maioria dos contos aqui não tem muito a ver com solarpunk (alguns não têm nada a ver com solarpunk, na verdade), mas a leitura ainda é, no geral, válida. Destaque para o excelente Soylent Green Is People, de Carlos Orsi.
Sheena Carroll
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Cyberpunk and steampunk are ubiquitous, but what on Earth is solarpunk? The concept is what caught my eye because I had never heard of self-sustaining/sustainable “-punk” literature before. The preface quotes the editor as saying that “…as a reader, I was feeling rather bored myself with all those old dystopian plots” of other -punk genres. That said, this collection gets pretty damn depressing and isn’t as utopian as one would expect.

In the preface, Sarena Ulibarri mentions that more are more w
James Mackay
Feb 27, 2022 rated it it was ok
There were two things that made this quite a boring read. Firstly, I suspect that the translation was not quite up to scratch: there was very little variation in narrative voice from one story to the next, so either the translation is not successfully creating a sense of the author, or these writers have been heavily edited in their original language and it is the editor's voice that is really coming through. Secondly, while I love the idea of solarpunk in the abstract, in these stories there wa ...more
Paulo Vinicius Figueiredo dos Santos
Coletânea de histórias com uma temática muito interessante. Não dei uma nota maior porque coletânea de contos é sempre um saco de gatos: algumas histórias gostamos e outras nem tanto.
Destaco dois grandes contos: Soylent Green is People de Carlos Orsi, e Sol no Coração de Roberta Spindler. São os melhores contos da coletânea.
Sara J. (kefuwa)
Interesting collection of stories for due to it being: i) Solarpunk; and, ii) Brazillian SF. Worth a go based on those two things alone. My fave is probably the story about the photoreceptive tattoos.

First finished: 11Jun19
Source: Amazon Kindle Store
Ryan Denson
Jul 22, 2022 rated it it was amazing
"While it is part of the larger movement of 'climate fiction,' and the 'solar' in solarpunk has come to represent not only the ecological aspect of this budding subgenre, but also the idea of brightness and hope."

As a growing subgenre of science fiction, solarpunk is most often a reaction against the bleaker dystopian worlds of cyberpunk. While not always unfalteringly optimistic, the subgenre intersects strongly with the concurrent rise in ecological fiction. This volume, translated into Englis
Betsy
Probably 2.5 stars.

I hadn't heard of Solarpunk we read this for a book club. I've read so much dystopian speculative/science fiction, so I was really looking forward to reading stories with a more positive outlook on the future. I was also interested so see how the writers would picture a future world based on sustainability. Most of the stories in this book were pretty depressing, though. Some of them addressed issues of climate change and sustainability directly, but some were only tangential
Ryan
Jul 15, 2022 rated it liked it
Shelves: dissertation, sci-fi
This was my introduction to the Solarpunk anthologies. I started with this one as I am making my way through them chronologically. I definitely think I would have enjoyed this much more if I could have read it in the original Portuguese. I really enjoyed a few of the stories - my favourite was Once Upon a Time in a World. With solarpunk originating out of Brazil, this anthology being originally published in 2013, and the crowdfunded nature of this translation's publication, I respect this anthol ...more
Anny Barros
Xibalba Sonha com o Oeste by André S. Silva - 4.5/5
Sol no Coração by Roberta Spindler - 4/5
Azul Cobalto e o Enigma by Gerson Lodi-Ribeiro - 3.5/5
Mia Myllymäki
Odotukset olivat liian suuret, myönnän. Tämä antologia osoittautui valitettavasti pettymykseksi. Daniel I. Dutran novelli Gary Johnson ja Roberta Spindlerin Sun in the Heart nousivat muita harkitumpina ja paremmin toteutettuina esille. Monissa teksteissä oli hyviä ideoita, mutta antologian toteutuksen taso ei palvellut niitä. Useissa teksteissä sorruttiin infodumppaamaan ja liikaan selittelyyn hahmojen ja tarinoiden kustannuksella.
Nebogipfel
Apr 05, 2022 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
This is a collection of short stories from Brazil. It is titled Solarpunk but the stories have nothing to do with it. Solar collectors get mentioned and that’s about it. There is maybe one story that could be classified as solarpunk. Technology is portrayed in a negative way in all stories; from being used to get rid of a corpse to mass surveillance and control. Stories are a mix of crime/detective stories and shooters. There was one decent story but I found others forgettable.
Der blaue Buchling
Jan 01, 2022 rated it liked it
Sadly enough not as interesting as I thought it would be. There were a few stories I really liked, but the rest of them didn’t really feel like solarpunk to me, and the last story was difficult for me to finish because it just couldn’t really hook me. However, that’s just my personal opinion and there are a few interesting ideas in this anthology, so it can’t hurt to give it a try.
Alessandro Ardovini
Quite a dark book to be solarpunk. It is one of the first solarpunk. The stories talk about things related to the natural world, though and a genre, a movement (solarpunk) needs to start somewhere.
Bravo to Gerson Lodi-Ribeiro, then!
Heidi Wunder
Dec 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Devoured this book

I know that Solar Punk is optimistic, this collection not so much. But I enjoyed the stories grappling with real world problems. I did not want to put this book down.
Macquart
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
My first introduction to solar punk. It was targeting Brazilians readers, so I understand that it's a bit ethnocentric, but damn, the Brazilians love themselves so much. Ridiculously self centered. They're very wrong about Brazil being a world leader, but they were correct in putting Brazilian corruption in practically every of these short stories.

The story were (objectively) bad. A few were cool, notably:
- the one with the solar tattoo
- the one with the Mayans Gods

The other stories are just in
Marco
May 26, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Solarpunk: Histórias ecológicas e fantásticas em um mundo sustentável” a cura di Gerson Lodi-Ribeiro, pubblicata dall'editore Draco nel 2012 in Brasile e tradotta in italiano da Le Mezzelane nel 2021, è la prima antologia ad aver utilizzato il termine solarpunk, nonostante il termine circolasse nel web già da un po'. La raccolta faceva da capitolo conclusivo alla triantologia composta dagli altri: Vaporpunk e Dieselpunk. Da quel momento in poi, altri editori in tutto il mondo iniziarono a utili ...more
Francis

• Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers
  • Sunvault: Stories of Solarpunk and Eco-Speculation
  • ตัวร้ายอย่างข้า...จะหนีเอาตัวรอดยังไงดี เล่ม 1
  • An Australian Birding Year
  • Under the Oak Tree: Season 1 (2)
  • Under the Oak Tree: Season 1 (1)
  • For the Love of Soil: Strategies to Regenerate Our Food Production Systems
  • 상수리나무 아래 [Sangsurinamu Arae] (Under the Oak Tree [Novel])
  • The True History of Chocolate
  • Under the Oak Tree: Season 1 (5)
  • Under the Oak Tree: Season 1 (3)
  • Riftan’s POV (Under the Oak Tree)
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • Moths: A Complete Guide to Biology and Behavior
  • The Lifegiving Home: Creating a Place of Belonging and Becoming
  • Under the Oak Tree: Season 1 (4)
  • Breasts and Eggs
  • Earthlings
Also uses the pseudonym Carla Cristina Pereira. See: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...

Also uses the pseudonym Daniel Alvarez. See: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...