Start by marking “Little Fires Everywhere” as Want to Read:
Little Fires Everywhere

Little Fires Everywhere

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  726,597 ratings  ·  53,863 reviews
In Shaker Heights, a placid, progressive suburb of Cleveland, everything is planned--from the layout of the winding roads, to the colors of the houses, to the successful lives its residents will go on to lead. And no one embodies this spirit more than Elena Richardson, whose guiding principle is playing by the rules.

Enter Mia Warren--an enigmatic artist and single mother--
Published April 27th 2018 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published September 12th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Little Fires Everywhere, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jackie L
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  726,597 ratings  ·  53,863 reviews

Start your review of Little Fires Everywhere
Julie Ehlers
Jul 21, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galleys
The order of the small town on the riverbank
Forever at war with the order of the dark and starlit soul

—Adrienne Rich, “8/1/68”

The nonconformist has always been at war with the suburbs—Adrienne Rich was writing about it 50 years ago, and she surely was not the first. I can understand this dichotomy; I myself have certainly experienced suburbs where a high level of conformity seemed to be expected, resulting in a weird high-school atmosphere among grown adults. Still, you really don’t have to dig
Deanna
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, my-favorites
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpress.com/

“Little Fires Everywhere” is my first read by Celeste Ng, but I’m pretty sure that it won’t be my last. I could easily have read this book in just one or two sittings but life got in the way (in this case life being a glass of 7up, a knee jerk and “Nooo! Save the books!”). But once the book was dry, I picked it up again and didn’t stop until I finished the last page.

Everything in Shaker Heights is planned and there are
Emily May
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-lit, botm, 2017
All her life, she had learned that passion, like fire, was a dangerous thing. It so easily went out of control.

4 1/2 stars. You should go into this book expecting what it is: a slow-moving character portrait filled with complex family dynamics and small-town politics. If you know what this is, like with Ng's Everything I Never Told You, and don't go into it expecting fast-pacing and high-octane drama, you will probably find this quiet read to be extremely engrossing and emotional.

I have to b
Melissa
*4.25 stars*

Little Fires Everywhere is such an apt title for a novel that delves into the intricacies and angst that undoubtedly burns through some relationships—maybe none more so than mother and daughter. At its core, this story explores the notion that being a mother doesn’t mean being perfect; it comes down to love, sacrifice and sheer will. Through her cast of captivating characters, Celeste Ng confronts the reality that haunts us all—each and every one of us is rife with cracks and flaws,
Cindy
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. I was hooked while listening to the audiobook and finished it in 2 days. The family dynamics, tension, and nuance is well done. The themes about parenting and motherhood - what is considered "good" parenting and who is a "good" mother - was such an interesting exploration, along with how white suburbia can be suffocating and push for conformity. But most of all, I loved the portrayal of well-intentioned yet ignorant white and upperclass people, and the gap between a privileged and whi ...more
Kat
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my LORD i truly enjoyed this.

there were a few minor things with the pacing that i would have changed just a smidge, and it didn't impact me quite as much as ng's debut, but this was beautiful and wonderful in its own way. i am SO excited for the adaptation. also, i can safely say now that celeste ng is one of my favorite authors and the next thing that she writes cannot come quickly enough.

read!! this! book!!!
Matthew
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pretty much anyone
Dang!

If this book does not get your brain churning, well, then you did not read the same book I just did!

This book is filled with so many scenarios with so many questions and no perfect answers. Every situation is a little pile of kindling and any of the questionable solutions will only ignite the fire . . . soon you have a bunch of fires ready to burn everything to the ground. Man, that would be a great title for this book! Oh . . . wait . . .

It has been a long time since I remember reading a b
Elle (ellexamines)
UPDATE: have just watched the first episode of this tv show on Hulu. as someone who really loved the book a lot before the adaptation was even announced: I am a very big fan. Kerry Washington as Mia is a really good choice. also, for personal reasons, Pearl is my favorite character now.

Never in my life have I read any book, any narrative, that car
Elyse  Walters
Update.... because I don’t know where else to ask this question: how many saw the Hulu series?
Thoughts?
I loved it. I liked it better than my experience of reading the book.
The lead and supporting actors were so well chosen. Kerry Washington was outstanding......
I think she deserves to win an award for her acting role.
Reece was great also. And so are her kids.

Did anyone else enjoy the series more than the book? Less?
Coronavirus chatter time? 🥰. Love yo hear others thoughts.

Old review:
I pre
Lori
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, self-identification determines if a book is YA? Based on more than 60% of the content, this is young adult material. It’s good; parts are excellent, others not so much.

I liked Mia’s backstory as she became an artist using experimental photography. I thought that the custody dispute concerning “Oriental Barbie” was worth at least a star or two.

A lot of the characters are clichéd. The at-home Mr. Richardson could be a cardboard cutout with excellent earning skills. He fairs a lot better befor
Larry H
I'd rate this 3.5 stars. (I know, it's killing me, too.)

Sometimes one of my greatest frustrations with books I read is that it is difficult for me to believe that a character would do something egregious as a knee-jerk reaction to something they don't agree with. I know, I'm reading fiction, which isn't always directly based on real life, but sometimes a character's actions are so ridiculous and ring so false that they really change my feelings about a book.

Other times a character is so unlikabl
Zoë
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it's safe to say that I'll read everything Celeste Ng ever writes.
Just like in a mystery book, you have to work at getting to the root of her stories. She doesn't hand you the plot from the get-go, but instead offers you kernels of the story until everything comes together at the very end. Although this can lead to frustration or boredom, especially with the sometimes barebones plot, I loved it.
I'm very much a character-focused reader, and this was very much a character-focused novel. Th
Jenna
My favorite part of this book was the part when I deposited my still-pristine hardcover copy, unblemished BOTM Club bookmark and all, into the Little Free Library down the street - knowing that although I did not much enjoy the book, I am one of approximately 998 readers in that regard, and therefore my little free deposit would hopefully confer lotta free joy on someone else.

I didn't hate this book at first; rather, the dislike gradually seeped up on me, like Little Gripes Everywhere! My admire
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are some books when you finish, you just sit motionless with blank face, feeling speechless, resuming your awkward position for hours and then you turn back into your life after getting frozen by a magical dramatic literary wand’s power. That’s what happened to me. And I realized I haven’t written any word about this stunning, amazing book and now Witherspoon and Washington’s Hulu series is streaming right now and it seems like scriptwriter Liz Tigelaar caught the essence of the plot and r ...more
Maxwell
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, favorites
When I read Celeste Ng's debut novel Everything I Never Told You in late 2014, I was smitten. Ng's writing was so beautiful, her characters so real, and the story so compelling. I instantly knew I would be reading whatever she put out next.

Three years later and I'm happy to say that Ng has returned with just as stunning of a novel as her debut. Little Fires Everywhere is hands down one of the best books I've read this year; and just like its predecessor will be rising to the top of my yearly
jessica
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘all her life, she had learned that passion, like fire, was a dangerous thing. it so easily went out of control.’

i honestly wasnt expecting to enjoy this book. i didnt really like celeste ngs debut and i thought this was probably overhyped. but this is one of the few occasions where i am actually happy to admit i was wrong.

i knew from the first chapter, where the title comes into play, that i was in for a real treat. if you dont know by now, i love when a book is so aptly named. sometimes t
Susanne  Strong
5 Amazing Bright Shiny Stars! I would give it 100 if Goodreads would let me.

Little Fires Everywhere is a novel that far surpasses any other that I have ever read.
I don't know how Celeste Ng did it. It is a brilliantly written novel with intricate, rich and wholly vivid characters whose lives are so fully intertwined you can't help but read on in bewildered awe of how Celeste Ng created these characters. My nerve endings were fully engaged on high alert from the first sentence.

Shaker Heights,
Maureen
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Metaphorically speaking, everyone has 'little fires' in their lives - events that begin as a small spark, and have the ability to transform into a raging inferno, changing lives for ever.

Shaker Heights, Cleveland is an idyllic place to live, everything has been planned to create the perfect community, but it's residents are expected to live by its many rules and regulations.

The Richardson's are quintessentially the kind of family who the community of Shaker Heights was built for. Elena Richardso
Angela M
Jun 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Richardson family lives a perfect life, planned to a T and that's what Elena Richardson, her husband and four children seem to have, at least to fifteen year old Pearl Warren. Pearl moves with her itinerant artist mother, Mia, into a rental house owned by the Richardsons in Shaker Heights and becomes infatuated with this family, their house, their life style so different from her own and is mostly infatuated with three of the teenage siblings. The reader though knows from the get go that the
Emily
Feb 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really did not want to read this book. Unfortunately for me, it was a book club pick, so I read it in one sitting on a plane. I was grumpy for the first hundred pages, which I thought might have been unwarranted. Most of my initial ire went to this: what was the purpose of setting this so firmly in 1998?? Why does the book double down so much on referencing TLC, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, the Clinton-Lewinsky scandal, Lexie's Explorer, and Charlie's Angels? (The date was confirmed for sure 2 ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
I wouldn't even know where to begin to try and review this one. Holy fuck.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
4.5 It's my first novel by Celeste Ng and even though Literary Fiction/Contemporary isn't my genre, I really enjoyed this one. I now have to pick up "Everything I Never Told You" which has been on my shelves for way too long!

Would recommend if you're looking for a slow character driven book full of emotions!
Warda
God, this was good. I’m speechless at this point of finishing the book. This story was pure magic. And to think I was about to unhaul it as well. The abomination. Can you imagine what I was about to miss out on?!
Don’t worry, I kicked myself already!

Celeste Ng’s words are beyond captivating. She has, for me, created one of the best character driven stories ever. I’m not going to bother telling you what the plot is about. Go find out for yourself! You’re welcome! I’m serious, you are welcome!

As s
Liz
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-clubs
At first glance, this book seems to be mostly about teenagers, but then it struck me that it’s really about parenting. Each parent thinks they’re doing the right things in the way they raise their children. But who truly is?

Ng does a good job of bringing each character to life. Izzy is the most unique of the characters. And the relationship between Izzy and Mrs. Richardson is spot on perfect. “When it came to Izzy, Mrs. Richardson was seldom calm, and for that matter, Izzy herself never was.”
R.K. Gold
I'd probably give this 3.5, I guess. I don't know. I didn't like this book, but I feel like I should. Ng is a phenomenal writer but I just couldn't get into this book. The first chapter was amazing and I thought I was in for something special.

There was a clear theme of ignorance in the "progressive" town of Shaker Heights that only outsiders and Izzy could see. The reason I couldn't get into this book was that all the supporting characters felt a little thin. Like they weren't actually people, t
Meredith
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intensely complex, multi layered, and intricately plotted Little Fires Everywhere is a profoundly complicated and jarring read about motherhood, freedom, and the human experience.

When unconventional artist Mia and her fifteen year old daughter, Pearl, move to Shaker Heights, Ohio their lives dramatically change. Of even great significance is their impact on the seemingly perfect Richardson family. On the surface, the Richardson’s seem to have it all--perfect house, perfect jobs, perfect chi
Diane S ☔
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An author that has the uncanny ability and insight to look deep inside the workings of the often complicated relationships between mothers and daughters. Mrs. Richardson prides herself on always following the rules, believing if this is done success in life and family will follow. She has four children , but as we know saying it doesn't make it so. Mia, a single mother, has a secret, a secret that will be used to her detriment. She was my favorite character, has a better, closer bond with her da ...more
Julie
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng is a 2017 Penguin Press publication.

A smart, but often scathing look at entitlement coupled with the endless dynamic layers between mother and child.

The Clinton era gets a sharp examination as we drop in on Shaker Heights, an ideal suburban community with plenty of unspoken rules for its financially comfortable residents. The Richardson family is the prototype of the community, with Elena Richardson embracing the lifestyle with unparalleled enthusiasm.

‘Pe
megs_bookrack
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The relationship between a mother and child can be a beautiful thing.

Let's be honest though, it's not always. It can sometimes be messy, complex and immensely stressful for both parties.

In Little Fires Everywhere, Celeste Ng, weaves an intricate tapestry of such relationships. The resultant story is one of family, loyalty, community and independence.

When I went into this book, I thought it was a story about the adoption of a Chinese baby by a white family in suburban Ohio, showing the resulting
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Soooo, Reese Witherspoon just added this to her book club thing? Which is so biased because SHE'S THE LEAD OF THE SHOW!

With Reese Witherspoon!!!!!

***************

YOU GUYS!! THEY'RE MAKING THIS A TV SHOW! FSHFGFKFJ!!!

***************

There is really no category to fit this book into. It's fiction but what kind? Contemporary? Kind of. Thriller? A bit. But not really. It's like the way a frosted sunrise (basically ice cream and orange juice blended to perfection.) tastes both sour and s

• Where the Crawdads Sing
  • Big Little Lies
  • The Dutch House
  • The Woman in the Window
  • The Great Alone
Celeste Ng is the author of the novel Everything I Never Told You, which was a New York Times bestseller, a New York Times Notable Book of 2014, Amazon’s #1 Best Book of 2014, and named a best book of the year by over a dozen publications. Everything I Never Told You was also the winner of the Massachusetts Book Award, the Asian/Pacific American Award for Literature, the ALA’s Alex Award, and the ...more

Articles featuring this book

“Sometimes you need to scorch everything to the ground, and start over. After the burning the soil is richer, and new things can grow. People are like that, too. They start over. They find a way.” 646 likes
“Most of the time, everyone deserves more than one chance. We all do things we regret now and then. You just have to carry them with you.” 356 likes