Start by marking “Cook Like a Pro: Recipes and Tips for Home Cooks” as Want to Read:
Cook Like a Pro: Recipes and Tips for Home Cooks

Cook Like a Pro: Recipes and Tips for Home Cooks

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  270 ratings  ·  49 reviews
In her new cookbook, Cook Like a Pro , Ina Garten shares a brand-new collection of recipes, tips, and techniques, so readers can cook with confidence no matter how much experience they have in the kitchen.

As America's most trusted and beloved cookbook author, Ina Garten--the Barefoot Contessa--has taught millions of people how to cook. A home cook at heart, Ina knows
Published October 23rd 2018 by Clarkson Potter Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Cook Like a Pro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cook Like a Pro

Mellie Antoinete
Dang it! Just when I think she can’t possibly do it again ... she does it again! This is filled with stellar tips, delicious vibes and stunning photos. Though she didn’t mention my fave pro tipped learned from Ina (use post its to take notes in your fave cookbooks - cleaner, clearer, easily updatable results), this is still one for the culinary treasure chest.
Adrienne
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
The book is gorgeous. I found the selection of recipes to be uninspiring.
Jess
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate the tips throughout the book but the recipes didn’t grab me like her books usually do. I like the concept but wish she’d go back to cooking for her friends! Having a party is what makes Ina fun and approachable.
Deborah Bluminberg
Nothing shows the huge difference between the life I have and the life I want like an Ina Garten cookbook. This cookbook is a good blend of recipes I could make and recipes I’d never tackle, but a woman can dream . . .
Gail
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My newest cookbook! I especially like the way some of the recipes make two different meals, such as Baked Pasta with tomatoes and eggplant that becomes Tomato and Eggplant Soup on the next night. She also includes recipes for the side dishes she recommends, such as the Blue Cheese Grits to go with the Red Wine-braised Short Ribs and even condiments like Buttermilk Herb Mayo to go with the recipe for fried chicken sandwiches. Her suggestions really help pull the whole meal together. It's also nic ...more
Barbette
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The chapters in COOK LIKE A PRO on breakfast and desserts are inspiring, but some of the other chapters just don't feel new. I am especially excited to try some of the summery desserts, like fresh peach cremolata and vanilla roasted rhubarb with sweet yogurt. There are a lot of tips in here that will be helpful to new or younger home cooks, but are things I have already figured out along the way. But like everything Ina, it is a cookbook that will get used and is worth having.
Kathy
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love reading cookbooks. I love the back stories with every recipe and I love Ina Garten. I am looking forward to trying so many of the selections..Israeli Salad..Tuscon Tomato Salad...Begium Waffles and Smoked Salmon..rainbow carrots...Baked Spinach and Zucchini....well done!
Jay
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-and-drink
As Ina would say. simply Fabulous
Rebecca
Nov 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
Pictures of recipes? Yes.
Commentary on recipes? Yes.
Nutrition facts? No.
Recipe Style? Nothing you wouldn't expect from Ina.
Any keepers? I can't say I was terribly inspired. I'd rather have her invite me to dinner.
Heather
I bought this book and returned it the same day. After flipping through it, I realized I had only stuck a post-it on about 5-6 recipes. Everything looked good, but there was nothing new and exciting. I was willing to keep it though (because I hate paying return shipping on Amazon), until I got to the shrimp & grits recipe, and saw that she calls for instant grits. Absolutely not.
Jessica
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks-2018
I don't normally watch Ina Garten, but I did recently see one of her shows with recipes I wanted to try, so I figured I would check out this book. While she did give some tips, there definitely weren't as many "pro tips" as the title would imply - there was a page at the beginning of each chapter and some sprinkled in throughout the recipes. Overall, there just weren't that many recipes I wanted to try from this book. Maybe it would be better for a more beginner cook.
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a beautiful book, and Ina is super gracious as always. I love her warm tone, backstories and the photography is spot on. She gives decent amounts of tips and tricks at the beginning of the book and at the beginning of each chapter, specific to that kind of recipe. One of the reasons this book didn't work as well for me is I feel no urge to 'cook like a pro'. I'm a decent home cook; sometimes I enjoy cooking for special occasions but the thing I always liked about Ina was that she was abo ...more
Margie Adler
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just when you think that Ina Garten can't possibly have anything new or inspiring to teach you, she comes up with Cook Like a Pro. It's packed with recipes, some old with terrific new twists and some new: Israeli Vegetable Salad on a bed of hummus (Yes! Really! So simple and beautiful, but I didn't think of it.) Chicken Marbella, Roasted Eggplant Parmesan, and fabulous party hits— sweet and savory strudels. She even came up with a great way to take the simple turkey sandwich and make it sensatio ...more
S Vanorse
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some really good advice, more for a newer cook. You can always see the care that Ina takes in putting a cook book together. Only recipe I don't agree with is her vanilla extract recipe, 12-24 beans, 4 cups vodka, room temperature and wait a few months. Add beans and extra vodka as you use up. 24 beans would cost a fortune today, cold extraction should go by weight, that would be a heck of a lot more than 24 beans per 4 cups of vodka, you need to cut or split beans to get the best vanilla. Once i ...more
Lisa
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Let me start off by saying that this is not a bad book, it just was not one that appealed to me. Ina had many good tips and ideas at the beginning of each section there were helpful pro tips like "is is done yet??" I really like that. The pictures were great and the recipes were not bad. It was the choice of food that made this book a three star for me. I don't eat seafood and there are so many things that I am allergic to. That is the low grade on this book. If you know Ina's food this is a gre ...more
E
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Wow - Ina definitely had to crank out another book on a publishers timeline. I picked this up at a bookstore -not impressed. Two pages dedicated to Shishito Peppers - take peppers, sautee whole in a pan with olive oil, salt and a squeeze of lime? Ok Ina - enjoy life in the Hamptons and take it easy. Your books are on the decline and not inspiring - go out on a good note and not like this. Repurposed recipes from your previous books and sauteeing whole vegetables are not worthy of a book by you ( ...more
Stephanie
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I have all of Ina’s cookbooks prior to this one. I love the idea of Ina’s recipes, but must admit I haven’t tried many of her recipes. This cookbook proves no exception. Except I didn’t buy this one. Honestly, I’d probably only make about 4 of these recipes. I’d be more than happy to be a guest at her table, but just don’t find most of her recipes appealing enough to me to want to make them. Sorry Ina.
Kate Guinan
I have yet to try an Ina Garten recipe that fails. That being said, this collection is not one of my favorites. I did find over a dozen recipes I will try at some point but though they might be professional standards, I won't be making beef carpaccio or warm lobster rolls at home any time soon. There are a few basics/professional hacks that are great to have in your pocket like homemade ricotta, perfect basmati rice and homemade vanilla extract.
Jackie
Cook Like a Pro: Recipes And Tips for Home Cooks is chock full of delicious recipes with fresh ingredients for a home cook who cooks and bakes with infused love. However, the recipes are not the star of this cookbook by Ina. The tips for successful dishes are more important and I found some that I will use on a consistent basis.
Clwseattle
Nov 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018
Cook Like a Pro: Recipes and Tips for Home Cooks is another beautiful book by Ina Garten.
The Cauliflower Toasts look and sound delicious as do the Parmesan Pesto Zucchini Sticks, both of which I will be making in the coming days.
I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because I feel as is I've seen some of these recipes and hints from her before.
John
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cooking tips are great, as she does a great job explaining subtle differences in measuring liquid vs. solids, etc. However, it's the first cookbook she's put out where I didn't see a single recipe I felt I had to try.
Pauline
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful book! It’s a work of art as well as advice from a a pro that I will be using many times. Included are some great recipes with simple instructions that the novice to professionals can make. I’m making one dish today that I found.
Trish
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of yummy recipes. I love that there is a picture of each recipe.
Sarah Lombard
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a lovely book full of tasty recipes lovely crafted by ina garten. I also loved learning new ways to prepare food.
Dora
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
Ina Garten writes cookbooks that are beautiful as well as informative. The tips that she includes with the recipes are helpful.
Sheila Garry
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
More great recipes and some interesting tips.
Janice White
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I like about Ina is her recipes are elegant, well thought out and very user friendly. I have all her cookbooks and would rate them all the same. She is my go to chef.
Cynde
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I made the beef tenderloin with mushroom sauce for Thanksgiving and it was fabulous. There are lots of other great recipes. Really enjoyed reading through it
Kori
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She’s so good. This one has more middle eastern inspiration than her previous ones. I love reading them cover to cover. Need to invite some people over tonight.
Terry
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
Gorgeous pictures and good tips but only one recipe I want to try.
Ina Rosenberg Garten is an American author, host of the Food Network program Barefoot Contessa, and former White House nuclear policy analyst. Known for designing recipes with an emphasis on fresh ingredients and time-saving tips, she has been noted by Martha Stewart, Oprah Winfrey, and Patricia Wells for her cooking and home entertaining.

Garten had no formal training; she taught herself culinary