Start by marking “Miss Mink: Life Lessons for a Cat Countess” as Want to Read:
Miss Mink: Life Lessons for a Cat Countess

Miss Mink: Life Lessons for a Cat Countess

This whimsical collection of twenty cat-approved life lessons for living your purrfect life is accompanied by gorgeous, lushly detailed paintings.

Miss Marcella Mink and sixty-seven of her favorite feline friends live happily in her big house by the sea. But there was a time when Miss Mink was not so happy. When Miss Mink created her own business -- a feline-friendly cruise
Published January 15th 2019 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Mink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Mink

Jane
Miss Mink is an undeniably gorgeous book. Each page illustrates a maxim that Miss Mink has been taught by observing her many cats.

I do not doubt that some children will be enthralled by the detailed and lush pictures -- most pages could easily be turned into a game of eye-spy.

Overall, though, this book seems more like it should be targeting an adult audience. This looks and reads more like a novelty book or calendar that you'd get for your friend who adores cats.

As a children's book, I'd give
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Cat countess Miss Marcella Mink began a feline-friendly cruise company so that all sixty-seven of her cats could enjoy the high seas. While the company was a huge success, Miss Mink found that she lacked time and energy and it made her unhappy. Collected within this lovely illustrated book are twenty cat-approved lessons for living a life of joy and contentment.

Children will love the colorful and elaborate illustrations that accompany each lesson and adults will appreciate the simple but valuabl
Storyheart
A sweet and beautifully illustrated book suitable for cat lovers of all ages, but especially, I think, for adult readers who might benefit from the reminder of qualities we really need to have a rich life: loving friends, adventure, rest and play.

Thank you to Netgalley for the chance to review this book.
Emily
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I'll be buying this for my personal collection.
Nicole Gaudier
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
This gorgeously illustrated book is great for feline fans! It will be great for a storytime on cats.
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This is an odd sort of "story". It is a list of life lessons, which show the progress of Miss Mink and her attitude in life.

It covers how she aquires her cats, and treats them, including a retired lion from the circus.

The advice given is very true and real, including taking afternoon naps.

Miss Mink

Miss Mink

The illustrations are lovely, which makes me think that this might be more a book for adults who love cats, rather than a picture book for children. Some of the life lessons that Miss Mink conveys would only ma
Kris - My Novelesque Life
MISS MINK: LIFE LESSONS FOR A CAT COUNTESS
Written by Janet Hill
2019; Tundra Books (48 pages)
Genre: picture books, illustrations

(Review Not on Blog)

RATING: 4.5 STARS

I loved Hill's book, Miss Moon so I was happy to see that she had a new picture book. Just like her last book, the illustrations are AMAZING and GORGEOUS!! I want to frame each picture, and I am not even a fan of cats. Each chapter we learn a new lesson, and while this is a picture book for kids, I think it will be adults that love it
Brona's Books
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adored Miss Moon the Dog Governess and I'm not particularly a dog lover, so when I spotted that Hill had created a version of her gorgeous animal philosophy for cat lovers, I knew I had found a winner!

Miss Mink and her cats will creep their way into your heart. From their delightful life lessons, to the laugh out loud illustrations of cats being cats, every page is irresistible and a visual treat.

Purrfect!
Lana
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
If your a cat lover, this beautifully illustrated book is for you! It is a quick book on life lessons. Each page illustrates the 20 different life lessons that are cat-approved! My favorite tip, life lesson 16; “When the day feels too long, refresh yourself with an afternoon nap!” Great advice! I love naptime!
Thank you to Penguin Random House and NetGalley for this advanced copy!
LanaLCole@yahoo.com
Amanda
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness, I adored this book. It's not necessarily a picture book for the little ones, but older cat-loving kids and grown ups will have fun drinking in the illustrations and imagining Miss Mink's fabulous Art Deco lifestyle. The life lessons are valuable too, and the whole book is just a delight! Love, love, love it and highly recommend.

I received a digital ARC from the publisher via Netgalley.
Michael Kott
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jake-zoe, great-reads
I was pleasantly surprised at the beautiful artwork in this book. I can't keep my eyes off of it since I received it. Have read through it multiple times and was delighted to see that Ms Hill had supplied all the cats names in a picture in the back, of them on a cruise ship. This would make a great gift for the cat lover. My sincere thanks to Tundra Books for the advance copy. I'll probably look at it daily for awhile.
Karyn
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
So adorable and beautifully illustrated. I love the nod to the 20s art deco. A must for any animal lover
Patty
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Between the gorgeous paintings of Miss Mink and her feline compatriots and the lessons learned from them this book is a gem!
Alexandra Consolver
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Full Review:

5 Stars - I recommend if you enjoy children's books, or gift/art books.

Miss Mink is a cat countess with her own cruise company. When she finds herself feeling down, she looks to her sixty-seven cats for advice on contented living.

Janet Hill has been one of my favorite Etsy artists for years.When Miss Moon: Wise Words for a Dog Governess came out a couple of years ago, I jumped at the chance to read and review it. I have now bought a copy for myself and gifted it to several kiddos in
Chazzi
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
Miss Mink is a cat countess and owns 67 cats. She has found that if she wants to go on a cruise the cats can't go. Her solution is to create her own feline-friendly cruise company. Perfect! Not really. She finds that she is so busy that she no longer has time to enjoy her life. She then starts to take tips from her cats and their lives to make her life much better. Things like starting the day with proper grooming. Eating your greens first so that dessert will taste even better. Taking naps.

Each
Wayne McCoy
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
'Miss Mink: Life Lessons for a Cat Countess' by Janet Hill is a picture book full of advice for young readers.

Miss Marcella Mink lives in a house with 67 cats. This means she can't go out and do things like take a cruise. She has plans to create a feline-friendly cruise company. This still leaves her stuck around the house, but her cats are there to help teach her 20 lessons. They include things like: make your goals bigger than your fears, and chase your dreams.

The illustrations accompanying th
Laura Reading
I was so excited to see I had been approved for this title on Netgalley. I immediately had to read through this book twice, well, more actually. Once you go through to admire the artwork and read the life lessons, learned from the cats, of course. Then you go back to ADMIRE the artwork . It is beautiful in an art deco fashion, but it is more than that. And then you leisurely page through and smile because that is what this artist does to you.
Whimsical and brilliant. A feel good book that reminds
Milliebot
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this book from LibraryThing in exchange for my honest review.

This is an adorable book with beautiful paintings for those out there who love cats! Miss Mink, owner of 67 cats (all named in the back of the book), doles out some life lessons that she's learned after starting a cruise company that allows cats. Regardless of whether you love cats or not, Miss Mink's 20 tidbits of advice are useful/motivational. For example: Don't be afraid to voice your opinion (loudly) and build stro
Zoë Reilly-Ansons
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
This is picture book is full of beautiful and unique illustrations accompanied with life lessons. It would be a perfect book for a parent to read with their child - read a life lesson and examine carefully the illustrations. The illustrations alone are worth just flipping through and looking at.

While this charming book is for children, I think that any cat-loving adults would also appreciate this book.

Thank you to Tundra Books and LibraryThing Early Reviews for the review copy in exchange for
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful surprise. I love Janet Hill's artwork but in her previous book about Miss Moon there was a disconnect between the images and the narrative, like the narrative was forced to fit with the images. Also the less said about that first book's layout, the better. This newest volume was just delightful, with a wonderful deco feel and tons of wonderful cats. I happy that the artwork and the narrative are finally in harmony.
Lori
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book's illustrations delight the eye. The colorful paintings show cats as they demonstrate lessons humans should follow such as grooming and napping. Miss Marcella Mink took her cats to the high seas, establishing her own cruise line, when she could not find a ship willing to welcome her furry friends. Cat lovers will appreciate owning a copy of this volume! I received the book through LibraryThing Early Reviewers program with the expectation of an honest review.
Cat
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightful book! I wish I could own as many cats as Miss Mink, but I do follow their advise as well as she does. This book is filled with lots of good advice as inspired by cats. It's a must read by cat lovers, of course, they already know this stuff, but they will enjoy the book nonetheless! Great illustrations!
I received a Kindle ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Katy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Thank you to Penguin Random House Canada and Net Galley for access to this ARC.

This book gets a positive review on the art alone. There's not a lot to the text, so clearly that isn't the focus. As a cat lover, I certainly appreciated some of the antics and poses of the cats but, for a book about cats, it was weirdly unfocused on cats. Gorgeous art, okay content otherwise.
Barbra
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Each Lesson Miss Mink learns from her cat are lessons every person should aspire to. The illustrations could be paintings on display, and the words inspire every day living. I would suggest this for children in grades one to three and possibly older, as a tool to open discussions about what is valued in life and what makes happiness.
Engel Dreizehn
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
ARC COPY...I highly recommend to any cat lovers because it really does contain life lessons that actually well good accompanied by illustrations of the cat countess and her cats illustrating the point. The illustrations have a vintage oil painting feel.
Jessica Furtado
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a dog lover, and I still can't get over how gorgeous this book is. Janet Hill has a stunning eye for beauty. While this book is slight on plot, the illustrations more than make up for it, and do most of the storytelling visually. Love it!
Carla
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved the illustrations in this book!
Leah
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
It didn't really feel like a children's book....? It was cute though.
Rebecca Pappas
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I adore this book!!! The artwork is so fun and wonderful and the story matches so well. A must read for cat lovers.
Amy
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-book
While I could appreciate the beautiful illustrations, I fully embrace that nothing else about this book spoke to me because I am not a cat fan.