Start by marking “The Hollow of Fear” as Want to Read:
The Hollow of Fear

The Hollow of Fear

(Lady Sherlock #3)

Charlotte Holmes, Lady Sherlock, returns in the Victorian-set mystery series from the USA Today bestselling author of A Conspiracy in Belgravia and A Study in Scarlet Women, an NPR Best Book of 2016.

Under the cover of Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective, Charlotte Holmes puts her extraordinary powers of deduction to good use. Aided by the capable Mrs. Watson, Charlotte d
Audio CD
Published October 2nd 2018 by Blackstone Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Hollow of Fear, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Anne-Gigi Chan
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Barb I would say no. It was hard to keep up with the characters and plot twists even though I had read the other 2!

Navessa
Apr 12, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition

I would literally give my first born up for an early copy of this book. I don't even like kids that much anyway.
Holly  B
This is the third in The Lady Sherlock series. We don't have a Sherlock Holmes, but we have Charlotte Holmes - the female sleuth who heads up the investigations. She also has a female sidekick, Mrs. Watson. The gender switch from Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson worked well and made this one even more fun. Go girls!

I'm sure that I should have started with the first in the series because I missed out on some of the background on many of the characters. It also opens with a scene from book two that
Berit☀️✨
This was an atmospheric captivating story that made me want to say, “Elementary my dear Mrs. Watson.”

This is the third installment in the Lady Sherlock series... admittedly I was a little confused in the beginning, having not read the first two books in this Series... because from what I understand this book pics up where the previous book ends... eventually I got into the swing of it and was completely captivated, however I really would have appreciated it more had i more of the backstory.... I
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
How fun to review an atmospheric mystery for Halloween! 👻 🎃 🕷 🎃

I love the idea behind this series! Female companions Holmes and Watson during the Victorian era- how fun! This is the third installment in the Lady Sherlock series, and while I feel this can be read as a stand-alone, I think my experience would have been richer if I had known more of the backstories of Holmes and Watson, as well as the connections between installments. That said, Thomas includes some backstory as well.

Just as Sherl
Caz
I've given this a straight A at AAR.

It seems that my reaction, whenever I finish one of Sherry Thomas’ Lady Sherlock books, is forever destined to be one of complete awe as I sit stunned, with my brain trying to catch up while I’m also trying to scrape my jaw up off the floor. I’m not sure I’m capable of forming whole sentences just yet, because DAY-UM, but the woman has a devious mind!

The Hollow of Fear is the third in the series, and it opens exactly where book two – A Conspiracy in Belgravi
Jenny
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Women in Victorian literature were often depicted as a frail creature whose only goal in life was to wed an acceptable man and retire to a life of parties, balls, dinner and teas. Our heroine Charlotte does not reflect that image.
We first meet Charlotte as she deduces that the coachman is actually her half brother Myron in disguise. Her ability to see through the disguise is prodigious but well within her abilities. After all, she is Sherlock Holmes, the most brilliant detective of the times.
Fro
Mackenzie - PhDiva Books
I am so excited to finally get to share my review of Hollow of Fear. I read this book with the book besties and we thought this would be the perfect day to celebrate such a fun mystery! This one is not chills, but it has tons of thrills—so don’t fear if you are someone who doesn’t like things that are too scary. This is the type of murder mystery that is perfect for some cozy-in-bed October reading. I absolutely loved this book!

About the Book

Under the cover of "Sherlock Holmes, consulting detect
Hollis
Different gradients of incredulity flickered across his face, as he no doubt tried to decide whether she truly was comparing her lack of appetite to an instance of impotence.

Hands down, no question, my favourite of the series. Once again proving why (sometimes) my stubbornness to push on with something I'm not loving can actually pay off.

"The Good Lord ought to consider making non-cranky geniuses, for a change."
"I don't mind -- at least he is a genius. Plenty of men are cranky without the least
K.J. Charles
Vastly enjoyable third installment in this excellent series. Detective novel with real heart, Holmes pastiche with real originality and difference. The romance between Charlotte and Lord Ingram finally comes to a boil here as he is accused of his wife's murder, and a lot of the threads carefully laid in the first two books flinally weave into the pattern. (I would strongly recommend reading all three back to back, in order to get the most impact.) The mystery element is very cleverly constructed ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
The Lady Sherlock series has become a favorite one for me since I read book two, A CONSPIRACY IN BELGRAVIA last year. Since then have I devoured the first book A STUDY IN SCARLET WOMEN and now the latest in the series, THE HOLLOW OF FEAR. It may be prudent to start with the first book to get the backstory of the characters and events, as well as because this book is connected to the story in A CONSPIRACY IN BELGRAVIA.

READ THE REST OF THE REVIEW OVER AT FRESH FICTION!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
My most favorite Holmes book to date!
Full review to come.

*EDITED TO ADD REVIEW*

I know I've said this before but it bares saying again, this series is truly outstanding. So well written, engaging and completely addicting.

With a heroine unlike any 19th century heroine I've meet, not to mention a whole cast of characters that are every bit as irresistible as the main character. Truly a series I adore reading and am on the edge of my seat waiting for the next book, they can never get here soon eno
Blackjack
Another phenomenal addition to Thomas’s Lady Sherlock series. I did not want this book to end. Though in all honestly, I may have enjoyed the sprawling mystery in A Conspiracy in Belgravia just slightly better, The Hollow of Fear is nonetheless tightly constructed and complex enough that the big revelations when they come are shocking, somewhat sad, and well worth the wait. The last thirty pages has some truly surprising disclosures. Part of me wants to go back now to the first two immediately f ...more
Lata
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charlotte Holmes is back, as unintentionally funny and brilliant as ever, along with Olivia and Mrs. Watson. This time, Lord Ingram comes under suspicion of murder when Lady Ingram’s body is found on the grounds of his estate. And Charlotte grows concerned about her sisters’ safety as Moriarty’s search for the Holmes sisters’ half-brother picks up.
The story moved along at a good clip, with the tension growing along with each sweet treat Charlotte did not eat while figuring her way through a case
OLT
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fact that I buy Sherry Thomas's historical novels automatically and ignore the price says a lot about my admiration for her writing. Her new Lady Sherlock series costs much more than the arbitrary limit I've set myself for escape reading, but what's a fan to do except buy them anyway?

This third entry in Thomas's gender-bending take on Sherlock Holmes begins approximately where #2 left off, with half brother Myron Finch, once associated with Moriarty and now on the outs, needing to escape. H
Heidi
The beauty of an e-reader, at times, is that it can be difficult to figure out how close to the end you are in a book when you’re really involved in the book. Yeah, you can check the percent but not while you know you need to keep pushing on.

So at one point, I was dismayed that this well-written Holmes-esque novel was barely staying a three-star read... I was frustrated with what I assumed was the ending. But never fear, Holmes is on the case (along with Scotland Yard) and Moriarty is pulling s
Lady Wesley
Fabulous, as expected, in both the written and audio versions. Kate Reading narrates, and she is the perfect narrator for this author. I have said the same thing about her performances of Loretta Chase's books, which are nothing like Sherry Thomas's, but that must be evidence of Reading's superlative skills.

This is the best of the series so far, and they simply MUST be read in order because in many ways each story is a continuation of the other -- and there are loads of twists and turns. In fac
G.
Oct 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

... don’t forget, sir, that I am a queen upon this board—and I do not play to lose.

Fabulous. I find Sherry Thomas's characters fascinating. Not only Charlotte Holmes (aka Lady Sherlock), but all of them. I love the female relationships. I like that these books aren't straightforward mysteries. Kind of angry at myself for not savouring this instalment, though. Oh well. It's not like I won't be re-reading before book four comes out.
Monnie
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a clever, thoroughly delightful book!

At the outset, though, I wasn't so enthusiastic; set in Victorian England, with language and customs to match, I realized I wouldn't be able to breeze through this one as I'm accustomed to doing with other mysteries and thrillers. But a couple of chapters into it, I realized I didn't want to.

This is, for the record, the third in the author's "Lady Sherlock" series (and the first, but definitely not the last, for me). The star of the show, Charlotte Holm
Angie
Originally reviewed here @ Angieville

This series. My feelings for it are fierce and tangled, much like the ties that bind its protagonists. Charlotte, Lord Ingram, Livia, Inspector Treadles, Bancroft, Lady Ingram . . . characterize them each how you will, but there is nothing equivocal about them. While there is infinite room for every sort of gray area in their circumstances, their histories, and their difficult presents, the feelings that they engender (at least in me) are nothing if not stron
Desi
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can’t say much without spoiling the plot but this was the best of the trio. Maybe the country setting lent itself to a tighter plot.

I liked that the ending did not take the easy way out, as regards the presence of a certain cumbersome to the overarching plot individual, although I’m still not sure I believe the eventual villain would have acted so out of character vs the way they were previously portrayed.

For the couple shippers there was finally some movement on that front, and they are prett
☕️Kimberly
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For those considering the story/series I recommend reading or listening in the order of their release. While each holds its own case to be solved, the overall arcs and character development scream to be read in order.

In The Hollow of Fear, Charlotte must investigate her toughest case thus far. Lord Ingram is suspected of murdering Lady Ingram when she is found dead in the ice building of their estate. The mystery that unfolded was so clever that even I was astounded when all was revealed.
We
Sophia
After the sensational twists at the end of the last installment, I was left reeling and then impatient to see what happened next in this fabulous gender-bending retelling of the Sherlock Holmes adventures.

The Lady Sherlock series is meant to be read in order and wouldn't do well picked up out of order. I will try to avoid series spoilers for potential readers which will keep my thoughts on this one rather vague.

So, Charlotte unearths secrets with far reaching effects in the last book. One secret
☕️Kimberly
Yay. All caught up. RTC.
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
Note: This review contains spoilers from the previous titles in the series.

Dealing with the aftermath of the shocking discovery that Lady Ingram is a spy for Moriarty, The Hollow of Fear shifts location away from London and out into the country. The gossips think there is something suspicious about Lord Ingram and the disappearance of Lady Ingram, and their beliefs are confirmed when she turns up dead on Lord Ingram’s estate during a country party. With her sister Livia in attendance and her clo
Katie Reus
Fantastic historical mystery! Complicated characters, smart writing and an end I didn't see coming! I thought I knew who the villain would be but Thomas surprised me. I can't wait to see what else she comes up with. (Note: This series needs to be read in order & it's not a romance).
Antonella
I love this series. Needless to say I can't wait to read more.
Characters and issues like I never read before in historical books.
Mystery that keeps you in the story from the get go and no matter how hard you try you still can't figure out what the hell happened.

Thanks to Andrea for trying to figure out this one with me.
You were great Sherlock to my Watson.

Read this series!
That's all!!

Lauren Stoolfire
Fantastic. This series just keeps getting better and better.
Beau North
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance copy of this book at RWA and let me tell you, it was 100% worth fighting the crowd. Charlotte Holmes is not what I’d call a relatable character, so it’s always endearing when she finds herself in unfamiliar waters. In the first book, her anxiety over her choice and her mounting fear over the repercussions put us in her shoes in a way that peering inside her head could never accomplish. Her mind just works differently. Here we get to see what happens when her greatest ally i ...more
Barbara Rogers
Series: Lady Sherlock #3
Publication Date: 10/2/18
# of Pages: 329

I am absolutely gobsmacked! Stunned! It has been a full day since I finished this book and my head is still swimming. This author has a way of delivering a fresh, interesting, exciting, absolutely stunner of a story every time. Yes, I was totally stumped right to the end – and that just doesn’t happen with me. I always figure out the villain early on in the book.

I am sure you could read this story and thoroughly enjoy it if you did
Sheila Melo
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FINAL DECISION: Cementing this series as one of the most original and intriguing historical mystery series around, Thomas allows readers to delve into the relationship between Charlotte Holmes and Lord Ingram in ways that are unexpected and clever.

THE STORY: Charlotte Holmes, who uses her intelligence and reasoning to solve crimes, is confronted with the most serious case of her career. Lady Ingram, the wife of her friend, Lord Ingram is found dead and Lord Ingram is the prime suspect. Beginning
  • A Treacherous Curse (Veronica Speedwell, #3)
  • Murder at Half Moon Gate (A Wrexford & Sloane Mystery #2)
  • An Act of Villainy (Amory Ames Mystery #5)
  • A Purely Private Matter (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries, #2)
  • A Grave Matter (Lady Darby Mystery #3)
  • Scandal Above Stairs (Kat Holloway Mysteries, #2)
  • Proud Mary (Roxton Family Saga, #4)
  • The Duke of Olympia Meets His Match (Emmaline Truelove, #0.5)
  • The Prince (Devil's Duke, #4)
  • No Comfort for the Lost (Mystery of Old San Francisco #1)
  • City of Lies (Counterfeit Lady, #1)
  • A Lady's Guide to Etiquette and Murder (A Countess of Harleigh Mystery, #1)
Because actual world domination is too much trouble, USA Today-bestselling author Sherry Thomas decided that her goal is life is to write every kind of book she enjoys reading. Thus far she has published romance, fantasy, mystery, and a wuxia-inspired duology. Her books regularly receive starred reviews and best-of-the-year honors from trade publications, including such outlets as the New York Tim ...more

Lady Sherlock (5 books)
  • A Study in Scarlet Women (Lady Sherlock, #1)
  • A Conspiracy in Belgravia (Lady Sherlock, #2)
  • The Art of Theft (Lady Sherlock, #4)
  • Untitled (Lady Sherlock, #5)
“Perhaps she had always been a monster, but even the lady monsters of the world couldn't escape the expectations that came of being women.” 2 likes
“She would not last a minute in the kind of life we lead."
"You might be surprised at the strength of the fragile. And for some people, it is ordinary life that is most challenging, not do much the extraordinary."
In a way, Livia's greatest strength was that she was so overlooked and underestimated. Within seconds people decided who she was, and what she was and wasn't capable of. But no one was so easy to sum up, least of all a someone like Livia, who yearned to be more with every fiber of her being.”
0 likes