Start by marking “The Hurting” as Want to Read:
The Hurting

The Hurting

Nell hates her sister's illness, her drunken dad, and the daily absence of her mum.

When she meets Lukas, adopted heir to a Norwegian oil fortune, she sees her escape: the two of them running away from the world. But Lukas has his own dark wishes, and soon it's clear that what joins them goes way beyond love.

This is survival ... and is any boy really worth her soul?
Published September 6th 2018 by Chicken House

To ask other readers questions about The Hurting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hurting

Lucy Hay
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Compelling, dark, enthralling - read it now! Don't you just hate it when you fall in love and steal a baby? Seriously, Lucy Van Smit takes an 'out there' premise and draws the reader in, via layered plotting and nuanved characterisation. The nordic backdrop is fabulous and Nell is an enigmatic lead, complex and flawed and absolutely compelling. I can see this as a movie, for sure. Loved it and very, very much recommended.
Lindsay Galvin
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Delighted to get my hands on an early copy of The Hurting at YALC. This searing tale left me bruised and gasping. Obsession, revenge, survival; a YA nordic noir intimately plotted so every sentence stands in as sharp relief as the Norwegian landscape it inhabits. Highly recommended.
Steph
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well that is SOMETHING. Prepare yourself for twists, turns, characters you want to trust, characters you shouldn’t trust and an ever faithful reason to stay and survive. I really enjoyed this. It was GRIPPING from the start. The setting adds another layer of intrigue to the story. I do not want to get lost in the Nordic landscapes with wolves ever thanks. Really bloody good.
Fran Benson
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this and devoured it in a weekend.

Very tense psychological thriller set in atmospheric scandi noir setting.
Bertie B
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A gripping story full of twists and turns. The Norwegian backdrop is painted in vivid language which brings the setting alive. If you like your stories to be predictable and formulaic this is not the book for you. If you like something that tests boundaries and asks questions of you as a reader then don't miss it. I haven't read a book like it for a very long time.
Angharad (Two Book Thieves)
Our main character is teenage Nell, an aspiring song-writer from Manchester who is now coming to terms with living in Norway with her strict religious dad and unwell sister. Her home life is not great - since her mother walked out, she is constantly blamed for it. She has to care for her sister who has cancer and is frustrated with not having a life of her own (plus feeling guilty for wanting it.) Our second main character is Lukas, heir to the Norwegian oil fortune and a seemingly mysterious ch ...more
Chris Vick
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Clemency Horsell
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love is a temporary madness. How far would you go for it?

This powerful debut novel grips you from the very first page. Torn from her home to live in the beautifully atmospheric Norwegian fjords, Nell’s frenetic account of family, love, longing and revenge is packed full of twists and turns without ever feeling contrived. Van Smit’s true strength lies in her sense of placemaking - the fjords are both a source of oppressive foreboding and yet are threaded with a sense of ethereal mysticism. When
Orláith
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Originally Published at https://www.instagram.com/p/BnmO1RQlflB/

The Hurting by Lucy van Smit is a YA Nordic Noir with twist after twist and characters who change from bad guy to good guy and back again in the blink of an eye.

The plot was very interesting and the vivid descriptions of the Norwegian landscapes were beautiful but I think it went on for slightly longer than was necessary.

Overall I did enjoy it and I'm looking forward to reading more from this author.

Julia Rice
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Nell is a troubled teenager; her father took her and her sister Harper from Manchester to live in Norway, ostensibly for medical treatment as Harper has cancer. The girls's mother left them when Nell was a baby and they have not seen her since. Their father is an alcoholic and takes refuge in religion, which he forces on his daughters as well. Nell wants to be a songwriter and is desperate to take part in an audition back home, which she knows her father won't let her go to. Egged on by her best ...more
Aoife
Sep 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: october, nyp, walker, 5, 2
I really wanted to enjoy this, and it's a good idea. It just seemed to go on for too long. She loves Lukas, she hates Lukas, she loves Lukas, she's afraid of Lukas...it just kept going back and forth and not getting anywhere. Harper didn't seem to learn anything, the father only changed superficially, and the ending didn't make much sense to me. But it is a good idea, and the descriptions of the scenery were amazing - I could picture everything really well.

Receiving an ARC did not affect my revi
Grace
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written, haunting love story. Wuthering Heights for the 21st century. The characters stay with you long after you’ve finished the last page. Loved Nell’s complexities and the twisted plot she gets tangled up in. Definitely recommend!
Marta Sala
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF
1º x 3x1
Kelly

This book is such a difficult one to rate or even explain, I couldn’t really tell you what it was about in a way that would sell it to you but I was absolutely captured by it. I found most of the characters very unlikable but was also completely gripped by this Nordic noir thriller. The setting of The Hurting is absolutely gorgeous and it definitely made me want to visit Scandinavia. The unease inside me just build and built until the feeling of dread was completely crashing over me. Th
Marochka
Aug 19, 2018
Amy Williams
rated it did not like it
Sep 23, 2018