Start by marking “Form and Void (Cerebus, #14)” as Want to Read:
Form and Void (Cerebus, #14)

Form and Void (Cerebus #14)

3.19  ·  Rating details ·  344 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Reprinting Cerebus Issues 251-265

This book continues the storyline that began in "Going Home." Dave Sim turns his literary lens to Ernest Hemingway, using entries from Mary Hemingway's journal as script and inspiration. Beware. This is not the glowing review the most give 'Poppa', but a critical look at deeply troubled writer and his equally disfunctional wife. Dave Sim pu
Published June 30th 2003 by Aardvark-Vanheim (first published June 30th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Form and Void, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Form and Void

Christian Lipski
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was ok
Sigh. Here's where it all kind of comes to an end. Ernest Hemingway and his wife Mary are featured. I don't want to go too far into the plot to avoid spoilers, but it's really the last severing of the core Cerebus story. Now, you will only get Cerebus and his interior world, which is fighting against the evil Woman, and God.

Again, Jaka's character is tweaked a little bit more, it seems, to more perfectly fit Sim's idea of how women are bad. To be fair, Sim certainly doesn't say that Cerebus act
Rex Hurst
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Also known as Going Home Volume II, this volume collects issues 251-265 of Cerebus and is the second to last arc in the 300 issue series. Last volume we had the F. Scott Fitzgerald analogue F. Stop Kennedy, and here we have the Ernest Hemingway character, Ham Ernestway- not the greatest of takes on a name, but then the author isn’t going for subtlety and often a parody (or whatever) works best with its roots showing.

The Hemingway presented here is not the boisterous hunter, who typed away as th
Mark
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Another beautiful volume of psychological damage, now with Ernest Hemingway.
Dan
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
We've jumped on from the end of 'Fall And The River'. Cerebus and Jaka are now travelling with Ham Ernestway and his wife Mary. Ham is of course a Hemingway pastiche, and Cerebus, who we shouldn't forget is still a little gender confused after Astoria's revelation back in Reads, hero worships this manliest of men. It's nor reciprocated though. Ham is taciturn and uncommunicative at the best of times, and it is left to Mary to do most of the talking.

And that's where things go wrong for this book
Matt
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ernest Hemingway for some reason
Robert Hudder
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am really frustrated reading the end notes to this volume. Fine, Hemingway was a typist. The exasperating part of this author is the making of an argument that starts out fine and then veers into that this must follow when it doesn't.

I'm thinking about his idea of equality and saying that women aren't equal but then that they should be when it comes to certain parts. I must remember that he is a proponent of mens' rights and that some of the nuttiness does show in his character of Cerebus. I
Emiliano Carrasco
Warhorus
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who've made it this far in the series
While continuing to suffer from the misogyny that the later entries in the Cerebus arguably suffered from, I found this book a step up from the preceding volumes overall. Unlike some of Sim's previous story arcs involving semi-biographical accounts of authors, this one actually managed to keep Cerebus and Jaka involved without completely digressing from the main story (like in Melmoth). He managed to weave his desire to paint a snapshot of Hemingway's final days while at the same time continuing ...more
Sean Samonas
Mar 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
I have a much better title for this book. It should just be "A biography of Ernest Hemingway with some other stuff about an aardvark I used to enjoy writing about."

Again, the frustrating thing about Sim is that on its own this wouldn't be so bad. I would never have read it, but I'm not going to knock on him liking Ernest Hemingway. If you want to write about a person, go ahead and do that. Why Dave felt the need to simply take over his own comic so he could do so is baffling.

Nothing that happens
James
Jun 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
It's not that the drawings aren't beautiful or that the sequential art isn't plotted innovatively or that Sim's research hasn't resulted in a work that feels rich and multitextured. It's that this book seems to have been written almost entirely out of Sim's contempt: for Ernest Hemingway, for Mary Hemingway, and for women in general. There's not much else to it, and Sim's and Gerhard's craft can't hide the underlying pettiness of the book.

There's some good stuff in here, mostly in Cerebus's unre
Chris
Apr 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Sims starts to slip away from plot again - Cerebus and Jaka hook up with Hemingway (and the reader starts to tire of Sims sticking all his favorite authors in the story). Half this story is what I wanted - more Cerebus and Jaka, as their relationship is riviting and heart-breaking. The other half is all about Hemingway, and I could give a fuck. The Cerebus/Jaka story has your heart in your throat at the end when it finally looks like its over for good.
Sardonyx
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
The story itself was alright. The artwork and lettering was as lovely as always. As I am unfamiliar with Ernest and Mary Hemingway's history, a lot of the story was lost on me until I read Dave Sim's accompanying notes. I would have been much more fascinated with it if he didn't keep referring to his "evil misogynist Dave Sim" self through out it (yeah, I get it, move on already) and after a while, his descriptions of Ernest and Mary's interactions came across as gossipy and mean.
Hazel
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Cerebus continues to work it's way back up to the adventurous interesting stories of the first few books, but I do not believe it will make it before the end. This book is completely unbroken by pages of text, something we have not seen since reads. It does have a large section toward the end of the book on Hemingway, but if a reader chooses they can just skip this.
Bill Williams
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Form and Void stars Ham Ernestway and his wife, as they travel and hunt in Africa. It ends with Cerebus and Jaka parting. There is a lot of crazy on the pages, and artistry in the panels. The work is dense and the ending, inevitable.

Form and Void is a masterpiece by an artist that has a grip on the world that is far different than mine.
Matt
Sep 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: bitter anti-feminists who like comics about Ernest Hemingway
All right, this is where I gave up on Cerebus and Sim. I wanted to listen to his anti-feminist views even though I didn't agree with them, but I didn't want to spend my time reading about how the feminist movement is responsible for his bitterness.
If you want to find out what I'm talking about, read the avclub's interview with Dave Sim. avclub.com
Brendan
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
i find that my enjoyment level of sim's literary parodies is staked almost entirely on my personal enjoyment of the author's work. i'm not a very big hemingway fan, so most of this story doesn't do too much for me.
Ben Schaffer
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
True
Charles
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
This is reading of a whole other definition. Just because its written mostly in pictures doesn't mean it's simple. Just because its cartoons doesn't mean it contains less subtle content.
Robert
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
I just find the later volumes of Cerebus dull.
Ewan
  • Everybody is Stupid Except for Me and Other Astute Observations
  • Marvels: Eye of the Camera
  • Rai, Volume 1: Welcome to New Japan
  • The Maxx, Vol. 3
David Victor Sim is a Canadian comic book, artist and publisher, best known as the creator of Cerebus the Aardvark.
More about Dave Sim

Cerebus (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Cerebus (Cerebus, #1)
  • High Society (Cerebus, #2)
  • Church and State I (Cerebus, #3)
  • Church and State II (Cerebus, #4)
  • Jaka's Story (Cerebus, #5)
  • Melmoth (Cerebus, #6)
  • Flight (Cerebus, #7)
  • Women (Cerebus, #8)
  • Reads (Cerebus, #9)
  • Minds (Cerebus, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
  • After On: A Novel of Silicon Valley
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Clay's Ark (The Patternist Series)
  • The Iron Dragon's Daughter
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Broken Sword
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mind of My Mind (The Patternist Series)
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater