Start by marking “Amelia” as Want to Read:
Amelia

Amelia

A WILD, DANGEROUS LOVE

As
Published December 18th 2018 by Zebra (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Amelia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amelia

Start your review of Amelia
Naksed
Count on Diana Palmer to come up with ever creative ways to torture and abuse her poor heroines, always by an arrogant, rugged, complete psychopath hero.

She pretty much writes the same story, just changing settings and names. This one takes us to Texas in 1900.

H spends 90% of the book bullying, degrading, humiliating, and terrorizing her, for absolutely no reason other than because he can. At least, your typical Harlequin or Bodice-Ripper gives you some half ass reason to hang your hat on to
KatieV
DP can be like crack. It's bad for you, you swear never again, and then you always relapse and repeat the cycle.

This one, unfortunately, was not as much of a guilty pleasure. For one thing there was very much a this happened, then that happened, then... quality to the storytelling. No depth and it just didn't flow. I didn't feel immersed in the least. Plus, all the jumping back an forth between Amelia and her brother's story was jarring.

In many ways this was the typical DP hero, reluctantly
Jenny
Hero was harsh but I loved Amelia. There's something really romantic about unrequited love. My heart broke for Amelia and the abuse she suffered in the hands of her sadistic father and I was so happy when King realized what an idiot he was and admitted his feelings. Loved the angst and their sweet HEA!
Leigh
Amelia made him feel as if tender fingers were stroking his heart. He wanted her until it was painful.

...

“I want that, too,” he said roughly. “You in my arms, your mouth abandoned to mine, the aching pleasure of feeling you against me completely. But if I hold you, no power on earth will tear you from my arms until morning. And that I will not have. The next time you come to me will be honorable and lawful. God forgive me, Amelia, I never thought to bring you such shame and pain.”

Amelia is a
Chantal ❤️
I loved and hated this book. I loved how he grovelled and I hated how he treated her. She was very naive at first but when she recovers from her ordeal, she finally grows a spine and gets a clue.
However, she gets sex crazy again and just gives it up. Man, woman can be stupid at times.
I wanted him to sweat it out more. He was a major asshat. He had to know how her father would react! Come on, they knew each other for God sake!!!
Poor girl needs a better hero and a nicer family.
T
Almost four but I can’t really.
Fun read! But not in a funny way, more like in a jaw dropping I can’t believe he’s so silly stupid. Very angsty until two thirds of the book, the way he treats the poor loving heroine, then it was all topsy turvy and totally uninteresting but then it picked up again as we got a grand finale angsts wedding. I just wished the heroine held out for more than 1 day after leaving the silly man.
Noelle
This is the first historical by Diana Palmer that I've read, and like her contemporaries I have to be in a certain mood for them. Sometimes I just need to know exactly what's going to happen before I even open the book (usually I need this after reading a few really emotional books). With Diana Palmer she seems to follow the same formula when writing her stories so when I pick up one of her books I know that there will be a jerky hero, who has a big mouth and usually acts like he can't stand the ...more
♛ Jarusauskas
What the actual fuck :)

This has to be one of the worst DP books I've read so far.
This dude can't be called a Hero, like... EVER. He wanted the h but he couldn't admit it to himself so he made sure she couldn't be with his brother, either. Not that she wanted to, anyway. Obviously she was crazy in love with him and his horrible personality, she forgave him everything, even that he almost got her killed.

Oh yes, the love.
Yuck.
fiasco
Feb 28, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western
what a waste. i would have given this book at least 3 stars, had Diana Palmer made her H done some real grovelling, but alas no. this one was too suppose to be a jerkiest hero.
I've no problem with a jerk for a hero for half of the story, but that's my limit. i had even made my self to be patient, so not to be to get angry with H ad give him some benefit of the doubt. i keep telling my self be patient he'll realize his fault and would come on right track.
what a disappointment. and he had a gutz
Aou
Classic DP, with horribly awful H and lots of angst, thus HPlandia math!
BookAddict
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know a book has made an impact when you’ve moved on to your next book but wake up the next morning still thinking about the characters. Amelia and King have quite a story to tell, and I suspect they’ve secured a place in my heart permanently. I’ve been a Diana Palmer fan for years, but this book is like no Diana Palmer I’ve ever read. First of all, I was surprised that this is a historical romance, and secondly, Ms. Palmer certainly turned up the heat in this one! The chemistry between ...more
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you NetGalley for the copy of Amelia by Diana Palmer that I read and reviewed.
This book is a reprint of a book that has been out for a number of years but it is a classic Diana Palmer that made her the great author that she is today. I can honestly say that I am not big fan of older western themed books but once you get into this story you forget the era the book is written in until she mentions riding horses instead of driving cars and how women are treated so differently then they are in
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
The love interest in this was such a jerk to the heroine even causing her to be hurt by his actions because(view spoiler) ...more
Sunshine
If as a reader you are not a familiar with DP
book formula then you are going to absolutely
hate this book. All of DP's books follow the same
pattern guy is super cruel, more cruel, cruelness
ensues, major event that is not redeemable, then
groveling, somewhat cruel, the end. Pretty much
most of DP's men are beyond repair and should
not be the male lead. As for the female protagonist
she is the definition of TSTL main character.

However, I grew up reading DP and for some
reason I still punish myself by
Amanda S.
This book is good! I always love when the heroine is badly hurt especially because of the Hero. Eeeep! I feel the angst! I love it so bad it made me jumpy! :)))

I don't understand why Amelia's stuck with King when he did nothing but humiliating her. He practically hurting her yet she's still madly in love. If I were her, I'm so gonna slap his face. But then again, love's indeed blind.

Nailed it, as usual, Diana Palmer! I want to read more about Quinn and Maria though..
Nelly
Wow, just wow!
Talk about stupid characters... each and every one of them got on my nerves.
First, the so-called hero. King or should I say Shit. The guy was attracted to Amelia, but because she was docile and obedient and quiet (a charade btw), he decided that he will detest her. And he spent a great deal of the book bullying her, forcing himself on her everytime they were alone and then blaming her! Even after the big drama, he was still blaming her.

Now Amelia, wow... I understand her being
Laur Laur
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: diana-palmer
More groveling pleas. I reserve the right to change my opinion. I love asshole hero's but this guy was just... asshole squared. And his happiness with her personality change and that stupid pitcher throw didn't work for me. He needed to beg.
Kim
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-authors, reviewd
She's been on a razor's edge for years, showing a biddable, calm and obedient persona. The man she's loved since 14, thinks that is what she really like and hates her. His past experience with love didn't go so well and it taints his relationships with women. Will they see behind the face that they show the world or will her secret and his past come between them?
Amelia Howard and her father have recently moved to El Paso to be near her Texas Ranger brother. Her father is also hoping that a match
Gothicreader
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing how Diana Palmer can switch from one genre, contemporary romance to historical romance without missing a beat.

Amelia is the first story of the Culhane family in the early 20th century.
Tara
Aug 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh...2 1/2 stars. Hero was a complete loser with no redeeming qualities. Just couldn't buy them "falling in love".
Ann Keller
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Very good book. I enjoyed the historical aspects of this novel very much.
Miriam Wolfe
This is a voluntary review of an advanced copy.

I just cannot understand all the five stars and wonderful review of this sory. I feel that I was generous giving it three stars as I had a real hard time getting past all the verbal abuse from King. But what really made me less than happy with this story was that King felt like he "seduced" Amelia but she two times told him "No, stop" and he dept going. In my opinion, when a woman says stop and the man does not - that is rape.

There were no fond
Angel Hatfield
Amelia Howard cherishes her desert country. The dazzling colors, white heat, and rough sensuality of west Texas stir her very soul. But there’s a serpent in her paradise: King Culhane. A towering sunburned cowboy with silver eyes that miss nothing, he’s a man she’s come to despise—no matter how much she had worshiped him when she was younger. As her father pushes her to secure a marriage proposal from King’s mild-mannered brother in order to marry into the Culhane dynasty, Amelia assumes the ...more
Rosemary K
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amelia Howard is struggling. Life with her father is brutal and degrading. Her brother Quinn is a Texas Ranger and living in the barracks so she doesn't want to bother him. She gets a respite when her father takes her to visit the nearby Culhane Ranch. The problem there is King, the oldest son, he either belittles or ignores her. Why does she care for him? Amelia is a strong and vibrant woman but how long can she handle this abuse. It bothered me how so many including the authorities turned a ...more
Katherine Yearwood
A Dangerous Thing Called LOVE!!!

This is one of Diana Palmers older stories. Originally released back in 1993. Amelia takes place in early 1900, the Desert Country of West Texas. Going back to reminisce on my younger years of reading a romance novel. I remembered this book as being good back then. But now that I am older, I can see all the faults with this story.

Amelia was a kind and yet timid. Whose life was being terrorized by her father; I know there isn’t a true reason why someone wants to
Diane
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a devoted fan of Diana Palmer’s books for more than 30 years, and while this book was first written in 1993, the subject matter is still just as relevant today which is the beauty of historical fiction. Even though Diana’s male characters are hard headed chauvinists incapable of admitting they’re wrong, I can’t deny that I keep coming back to witness their spectacular fall from grace which gives me, and the heroine, great satisfaction. King and Amelia are enemies from the start and ...more
Loraine Oliver
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance
Shelves: reviewed-books
I really liked this book by Diana Palmer. It is the second time I read it, once when it came out many years ago, and I liked it just as much now as I did then.
Amelia looks after her father who has not been doing well at all, and before this, she nursed her mother for years until she died. Now her brother is a Texas Ranger and things are happening that Amelia can't stop from happening with her father, and she has been both physically and mentally abused.
They go to visit a friend of her brothers,
Cara Ross
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
I love Diana Palmer, she is one of my favorite authors, and I have been reading and collecting her books since I moved to America 15 years ago, as my bookcase can attest to. And legible it seems to be a popular move from authors and publishers, to reissue some of the older books with new artwork, there are some books that that should stay in the past, and unfortunately, Amelia is one of them.

In the story, Amelia suffers such pain and abuse from her father to the man she ends up marrying, and
Ann-Maree Howarth
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have seen many books by Diana Palmer around through the years but have never had the chance to read one until now. I think I may have been missing out on some great stories as I just loved the writing style and wonderful characters with depth and interest. I was drawn into this story straight away and hooked to the very end. The heroine was a very strong and determined young lady that did the best she could for her family. The Hero was not a hero at first as he despised Amelia and made a point ...more
Helena#bookdreamer
Oct 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is a disturbing and violent novel. I've read this author before and also felt uneasy but I thought her later novels would be different. Not the case. This author makes rape scenes appear consensual. Where the hero is clearly assaulting the heroine and she still ends up with him because she loves him. Amelia is portrayed as a frail, fearful woman who takes care of her dying father and takes his abuse because he's her father. She claims to be more than a weak, spineless woman but she does not ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Escapade
  • Home to Wind River
  • Matt (Texas Rascals #2)
  • Fire Brand
  • Handsome Rancher (Handsome Devils, #1)
  • True Colors
  • Kurt (Texas Rascals #4)
  • Nick (Texas Rascals #3)
  • Wind River Protector
  • The Rancher Takes a Family (The Montana McGregor Brothers Book 1)
  • Kael (Texas Rascals #6)
  • Tucker (Texas Rascals #5)
  • Keegan (Texas Rascals #1)
  • Night Fever
  • Texas Free (The Tylers of Texas, #5)
  • The Rancher (Morgan Ranch)
  • All That Glitters
  • Dirty Little Secret (Wild Rose Ranch #1)

Diana Palmer is a pseudonym for author Susan Kyle.

(1)romance author
Susan Eloise Spaeth was born on 11 December 1946 in Cuthbert, Georgia, USA. She was the eldest daughter of Maggie Eloise Cliatt, a nurse and also journalist, and William Olin Spaeth, a college professor. Her mother was part of the women's