Start by marking “The Chicken Who Loved Books” as Want to Read:
The Chicken Who Loved Books

The Chicken Who Loved Books

Little Red the hen loves it when Henry reads books to the chickens in the coop. But when Henry stops bringing books and brings a video game instead, Little Red tries her best to tell him that books are better. Charming illustrations accompany this fun story that brings children and chickens--and books--together.
Published August 2nd 2018 by Angela Hunt Communications, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Chicken Who Loved Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chicken Who Loved Books

Start your review of The Chicken Who Loved Books
Rebecca Crunden
Feb 20, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books

Okay, this is cute. Like, I couldn't stop giggling. It's 17 pages of a chicken getting mad at a little boy for bringing his videogame to the chicken coop instead of bringing a book to read to them. It could have been a liiiiittle bit longer, I reckon, cos I felt like it stopped a wee bit abruptly, but the illustrations are super cute and I now want to go find a flock of chickens who want to be read to. The dream, honestly.

➵ thank you netgalley for the free arc in exchange for an honest review ♡
Kate
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
We really enjoyed this short and sweet story. It had a great message on how much more interactive and present we can be when reading books together, as opposed to playing video games. My kids really liked the chickens and the fact that Henry brought books to read them. Cute read!
Jane
Feb 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
A charming little story of Quiet Little Red who loves books. She has a friend named Henry who stops by her coop after school and reads to her and six other chickens.
One day instead of bringing books, Henry shows up with a video game 🎮 and becomes engrossed in playing the game that he ignores the chickens. The chickens grow concerned and try to find a way to communicate to Henry. Eventually Henry gets the message and shows up with a book on his next visit.

Thank you to Angela Hunt, NetGalley and
Catherine
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute book for children which has beautiful illustrations. My daughter and I really enjoyed this book about a hen called Little Red and her friends who love it when a boy called Henry reads books to them every day. One day he starts coming to see them while playing a video game console instead of bringing his books. They get upset and try everything to communicate with him to tell him they want him to read books to them. Eventually they find a way to talk to him and he makes them happy ...more
Amy Ayan
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Thanks, NetGalley, for the ARC of 'The Chicken Who Loved Books.'
Read and reviewed by seven-year-old Amy.
The chicken who loved books always asked Henry for the books. Every day after school, Henry read books to the chicken. One day Henry came to the chicken coop playing a video game, making sounds like BLEEP, ZAZOOOM, and KERBLAM, and the chicken got irritated and made noise. Read the ook to find out what happened next. 😊
I loved the colorful illustrations, too.
This is a cute and funny book, and I
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Cute story about being in the moment, which in this case is reading books to chickens, because of course that is something that a lot of kids do.

The chickens, in this story, love being read to, and miss it when the boy decides to play a pocket video game instead.

I know my chickens like to be talked to, so this isn't so far fetched a story, and they do not like it when you ignore them when they are trying to get your attention, and they will try to get your attention. One of my roosters will grab
Mortisha Cassavetes
Such a cute book about a young boy that reads to his chickens until one day, instead of bringing books, he brings his hand held game and the chickens have to find a way to tell the boy they want books! I really enjoyed this book because it has a very good meaning. Illustrations are so bright and colorful that made it a fun book to read. I highly recommend it to kids of all ages to remind everyone that books are wonderful for even chickens. Thanks #Netgalley for the early review copy. I loved it!
Leslie
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Chicken Who Loved Books by Angela Hunt is beautifully written and illustrated book that helps teach about the importance of reading and how, at times, technology takes us away from the things that matter most. I loved the message of the book and how it reminds us to get away from our screens for a time and to get back to the things that truly matter. This is a great lesson to teach kids at an early age and would be perfect to read at home, school, or a library story time. Thanks to NetGalley ...more
Millie Jessop
Feb 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
This book is so cute with beautiful illustrations that I think any child would love. The story is about a little boy who stops by the chicken coop to read to them after school until one day he takes a video game instead which upsets the chickens. The use of onomatopoeia would make it fun to read in a classroom as well to individual children and I think it would work great with engaging smaller children in reading as it made the chicken Little Red happy in the story.

Raena
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ah I loved the meaning behind this book! A little boy called Henry would visit the chicken coop and bring books, but one day he bought a toy ( handheld electric game ) and little red didn’t like it. He thought of ways to tell Henry he wanted him to bring books and read to them all.
Great illustrations and colour for young children. My 3 and 4 year old enjoyed it and said ‘ we should read more books and not play on computers’ .
Georgia
Feb 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Lovely book about a boy that reads to his chickens. Ideal for a 5-6-year-old wanting some reading practice.

The book is chock full of well detailed, beautiful double-spread images. Would look great on the nursery/ young child's bookshelf. It wasn't the most interesting story but it wasn't bad either. The character's switch from books to his game is probably a relatable scenario for the target audience. Definitely worth a read if you have young ones at home.

4/5
Craig Sisterson
Feb 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
The little one and I both enjoyed this book, a brightly illustrated tale about a young boy reading to chickens, who then get upset when he brings a video game instead and starts ignoring them, focused so much on the screen rather than sharing in the stories. It's a nice wee book with a good underlying message about interacting with others, and the power of good books. ...more
Alaina
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable children’s book. The book is trying to teach the importance of not spending you life being a screen. The illustrations are also very well done.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this book in exchange for an honest review.
Anne
Feb 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Just adorable! The story was cute and the pictures were even better. This is a good book for kids starting to read and learning new words. The book has a good flow of the words and will be popular with kids.
Piper
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Read with my son. He really enjoyed and thought it was funny how the chickens loved books. Real fun read.
Brenda Feinen
Feb 23, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021-netgalley
My five year old and I love books about chickens.
Big Red loves to be read to.- but Henry starts playing a game device instead.
Great illustrations. Good message.
Amanda
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An adorable book about a chicken who loves being read to. Every day, Henry brings books to read to the chickens. One day, he doesn't bring any books but is engrossed in his handheld electronic toy. How will Little Red tell Henry that she wants him to bring more books? A really cute story with nice illustrations. A big hit with my 3.5 year old. ...more
Carolyn Bryant
Elizabeth
Jan 09, 2021
Psusan
Feb 19, 2021
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their thirties, Angie and her husband live in Florid