Start by marking “A Delicate Touch (Stone Barrington, #48)” as Want to Read:
A Delicate Touch (Stone Barrington, #48)

A Delicate Touch

(Stone Barrington #48)

Stone Barrington uncovers a societal minefield in the exhilarating new adventure from #1 New York Times-bestselling author Stuart Woods.

When an old acquaintance reaches out to Stone Barrington requesting assistance, the job seems easy enough. She needs an expert in an esoteric field, someone with both the knowledge and careful dexterity to solve a puzzle. But the solution
Published December 31st 2018 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about A Delicate Touch, please sign up.
Amy Zupancic Hmmm...I listed to it via my library's overdrive system. Perhaps your library just doesn't have it available. Each library has to choose which books a…moreHmmm...I listed to it via my library's overdrive system. Perhaps your library just doesn't have it available. Each library has to choose which books are in their system, so it may be they chose not to get this one.(less)

Start your review of A Delicate Touch (Stone Barrington, #48)
Tim
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
This quick listen was headed for 4 stars until a most unsatisfactory incomplete ending. 6 of 10 stars
Skip
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-detective
Mixed feelings about this one. The premise was solid: some old files are discovered in an old safe belonging to Eduardo Bianchi, with damaging evidence about his old Mafia rivals. Their descendants are upstanding members of society and willing to do anything to protect their family secrets. But the plot then devolves into a ridiculous farce involving technology to manipulate money and voting results. I also did not care for depth of the reporting angle: the investigative reporter herself nor the ...more
Karin Keeling
Typical..... not sure why I read this series, but I can’t stop myself
Gary Rounds
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE STEWART WOODS

Every time I read a Stewart Woods novel I just can’t believe how great they are!! If anyone wants to learn to like reading just turn them onto a book by Mr Woods. I have read all his books and look forward to the next!!!! GMR
Bill Yarbrough
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Title fits the story very well. I couldn't put this book down. I like some of the new characters and expect to see them in the future. There was nobody in this book who was from Delano, Georgia. I give it 9.5 out of 10 stars.
Maureen
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
So boring and superficial. His character depth is similar to the depth of a pineapple. There was no substance. I have a feeling Stuart Woods is one of those old men that love to hear themselves talk. Honestly don’t waste your time on this book.
Deborah
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was much better than the last one. There was more substance to the plot. The discovery of Sal's codicil to his will, started a chain reaction of events. I felt the story ended with a cliffhanger because there was no closure. I'm interested in finding out who survived the explosion. What will the repercussions be?
Joy Dias
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Okay, I did it again. I read another one. Don't know why I do it, but I do. Easy read, and enjoyable. When you think about Stone he should be very old. It's amazing what he can do. Guess anything can happen when it's fiction.
E W
Jun 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-book, dnf, ugh-why
This is the worst book I have read this year. I cannot bring myself to finish 3/4 of the way through because it is a warmed over pile of shit. Stone Barrington is a snooze. I get that the premise is he is irresistible to women, but I can't figure out how. By the description, I get he's vaguely older and rich, so with his lack of personality, every female who hops into bed with him is implicitly taking his offer to be a temporary sugar daddy. It's distasteful at best and a creepy reminder of the ...more
Timothy M. Gorman
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Same old stuff, which is not surprising considering there were 47 other installments. Someone is always winning the lottery, inheriting money etc and hence fitting in with the crowd Stone runs with. (Stone himself fits in due to a series of inheritances.) When you pick up a Barrington book, you know all this and suspend credulity.
john  greathouse
Jan 04, 2019 rated it did not like it
DB just can’t leave politics alone. As usual the corked ass Democratic Party, lies, cheats and steals
Leave politics out
Carol
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The thing I like most about Stuart Wood's writing, (as if he really cares what I like and don't like), is he doesn't waste words on description of the paint on the walls or how many trees are in the park...he gets right past all that and to the point. He's also, over the years, produced some other really good characters...in addition to Stone Barrington there is Holly Barker...Ed Eagle...The Lee's, and most recently Teddy Faye...and has wisely decided to not let those people wither away and die ...more
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Too many implausible situations in this book, including the computer technology and the idea that a computer genius of that caliber would be working for a newspaper, not a tech company.
Barbara Bakal
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-fiction
A poorly written story with no real ending. Just the usual, money, sex and fake drama.
Rick
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I did not enjoy this Stone Barrington book as I usually do - the premise is weak, no interesting new characters and no mystery involved. Hopefully #49 will be better.
Will
SUBJECTIVE READER REVIEW WITH PLOT SPOILERS FOLLOWS:

Stuart Woods took a novel niche of history to spring a truly scary witch hunt in New York City, I'll admit. It seems the shadow of deceased wealthy philanthropist Eduardo Bianchi will never venture too far from Stone Barrington. It all starts innocently enough, with Eduardo's daughter and Dino's ex-wife Anna Marie calling Stone for help. It seems she's about to turn over title to the Bianchi Estate to the Bianchi Museum, but there's an ancient
Lisa Malmquist
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
It all starts with an old Excelsior safe. Which noone knows how to open except for a very old man of over 100 years named Sol Fink is found, who originally worked with the manufacturer in Berlin.
It would have been better left unopened...as this safe belonged to Eduardo Bianchi, who apparently had ties to the Mafia and has files on all the old Mafia families in the area. Stone Barrington is the executor for the estate of Eduardo. His daughter asked him to find someone to open the safe and then le
Dad
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I found this novel (number 48) to be as fresh and exciting as the first—although the writing seemed fuller and the characters more developed. Great plot and fascinating story using current events and electronic banking/computers to make the story hum. This was a very easy, uncomplicated story and absolutely perfect for the bus commute. Stone remains the central role model who we wish we could emulate—if only we had his money, looks and charm.
Fran Burdsall
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This is my first Stuart Woods crime novel. But, it won't be my last. Well done! What fun to have an ethical, albeit edgy, law man turned lawyer as the hero - and a rich one, at that! It makes many things possible and adds it's own flavor to the genre. My only criticism is that the characters could have been written stronger. But, I suspect that if I had read the other 47 books in the series, I'd know the characters better and pick up on the subtleties.
Andy
Jun 28, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mostly harmless.
Kevin Snyder
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Typical Stone Barrington story. A good quick read that was enjoyable. Unusual ending! I'm assuming he did it that way to revisit the characters later in life.
Edi McNinch
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing

Another fast paced Stone Barrington novel full of twists and turns.This one references a lot of political & news media activity, not entirely unlike some that have occurred in real life. Not quite as much of his sexual exploitations, but they can be easily overlooked to keep with the story. Quick, easy read. Enjoy!
Arlene
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first book of Stuart Woods. I love the fast pacing of the story. Haven't read something like this in a while.
Alan
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
A fairly simple little story about Stone and his cohorts getting richer, eating well, having good sex, and generally enjoying their erudite, privileged lives. Oh, and another Herb-like new protege to dress well and guide along in his astonishing success. And incidentally, bad guys and king making. Ho-hum.
Montessahall Montessahall
Nothing new. Same basic plot as the other novels in this series.
John
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stuart Woods Stone Barrington books have been a roller coast ride of highs and lows. This is one of the better tales in recent memory. The most surprising aspect is Lover Boy Stone does not bed a woman until the book is pasted Chapter 16, if I remember correctly. Usually, this occurs much earlier and is on to other conquests.
Kay
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun book and hurray to Dino!
Ellen
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Much better than previous ones. I couldn't put it down. It starts out with Mary Ann Bianchi calling Stone to help her open an old safe she has discovered concealed behind a panel in Eduardo Bianchi's library. He calls Bob Cantor and he in turn calls in Sol Fink, an old man, 104 years old, who worked as an assistant to the maker of the German safe. Sol is brought in to open the safe. Inside Stone and Mary Ann find many interesting items, 1: 3 million dollars in cash 2: two pass ...more
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
Former policeman, attorney and rich businessman Stone Barrington makes his 48th appearance in Stuart Woods’ A DELICATE TOUCH. At the center of the novel is an Excelsior safe that is very sensitive and can only be opened by Solomon Fink, now a 104-year-old man who was involved in making the safe during World War II in Germany. The safe is in the hands of Mary Ann Bianchi Bacchetti, the ex-wife of Stone’s former NYPD partner, Dino Bacchetti.

Once the safe is opened, Stone finds files on mafia kingp
JayeL
Kindle book on overdrive 1 3 Jan 08, 2019 05:37PM

• The Chef
  • Liar Liar (Detective Harriet Blue, #3)
  • The Wedding Guest (Alex Delaware, #34)
  • Neon Prey (Lucas Davenport, #29)
  • The 18th Abduction (Women's Murder Club, #18)
  • The Cornwalls are Gone (Amy Cornwall, #1)
  • Target: Alex Cross (Alex Cross, #26)
  • The First Lady
  • Redemption (Amos Decker, #5)
  • The Last Second (A Brit in the FBI, #6)
  • Ambush (Michael Bennett, #11)
  • The A List (Ali Reynolds, #14)
  • The House Next Door
  • Long Road to Mercy (Atlee Pine, #1)
  • Blindside (Michael Bennett, #12)
  • One Good Deed
  • Robert B. Parker's Blood Feud (Sunny Randall, #7)
  • Unsolved (Invisible, #2)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 57 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming to Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10; Holly Barker, #4)