Start by marking “Der Schatten” as Want to Read:
Der Schatten

Der Schatten

„Am 11. Februar wirst du am Prater einen Mann namens Arthur Grimm töten. Aus freien Stücken. Und mit gutem Grund.“ Gerade ist die junge Journalistin Norah von Berlin nach Wien gezogen, um ihr altes Leben endgültig hinter sich zu lassen, als ihr eine alte Bettlerin auf der Straße diese Worte förmlich entgegenspuckt. Norah ist verstört, denn ausgerechnet in der Nacht des 11. ...more
Published July 23rd 2018 by btb

To ask other readers questions about Der Schatten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Der Schatten

Start your review of Der Schatten
MarilynW
Jan 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shadow by Melanie Raabe

There is so much foreshadowing and symbolism in this story. It's a work of art, in itself, with the gloomy, eerie, cold, atmosphere. It seems as if it's always nighttime, with descriptions of sounds and smells that bring back hazy memories of something sinister.

Norah Richter has recently moved to Vienna, from Berlin. She's lost her job and is being sued for reasons we don't know. Her long term relationship has been destroyed and now she's living in a big, empty flat.
Jayme
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You are going to want to add this one to your mounting TBR list! 📚

I was mesmerized from the opening paragraph which I will share with you now-

Excerpt: “ Norah loved goodbyes. She loved moments of transition: the minutes between night and day, Winter and Spring, one year and the next. She loved new babies and weddings. Another life, a second chance, rebirth. A clean slate, and a new pencil. “

So, why was she crying?

Journalist Norah Richter has just moved from Berlin to Vienna, to put some distan
Sheyla ✎
On the eleventh of February, you will kill a man called Arthur Grimm . . . With good reason. And of your own free will.

Well, that certainly is enough to wake up Norah! Who needs espresso when a fortune teller is telling you are going to commit murder on a certain date?

Norah Richter is starting over. She is a journalist and due to a piece she wrote, she has lost her job, her relationship and now she is ready to reinvent herself. She moves from Berlin to Vienna and starts a new job which she i
Michael David
Dec 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY!

An intriguing thriller that almost didn’t make a blip on my radar.

Norah is a journalist who has just moved to Vienna from Berlin. One day, while walking through town, a homeless woman stands right in front of Nora and says these chilling words:

“On February 11 you will kill a man called Arthur Grimm. Of your own free will. And for a good reason.”

The woman disappears into the crowd, leaving Norah perplexed and disturbed...especially since something bad from her past occurre
Jen
Jan 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Bravo!!! 👏 Wow Melanie Raabe, what an amazing, well written book that sucked me right in and held me right up until the end! Another 5 ⭐️ read to start of 2021!

Atmospheric read ✔️
Psychological thriller ✔️
Mystery ✔️
Amazing layered symbolism ✔️

Norah has moved to Vienna, after leaving her boyfriend behind in Berlin, and soon after arriving, has a strange encounter with a mysterious woman on the street who prophesies that Norah will soon murder a man. Soon after, stranger and stranger things kee
Ceecee
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Journalist Norah Richter has moved to Vienna from Berlin following the ending of a relationship. Shortly after her arrival an unnerving prophecy is made by an old beggar woman who tells her she will kill a man called Arthur Grimm of her own free will on February 11th. This date is deeply significant to Norah, that alongside a number of other weird events draws her into a web of intrigue and manipulation. The story is principally told from Norah’s perspective.

First of all, having read The Trap s
DeAnn
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021, netgalley-2021
4.5 mind-blowing stars (rounded up for the ending)

For most of this book, I felt like I had lots of puzzle pieces, but I was missing the cover of the box to know what I was putting together. The ending was the box cover and all the brilliant answers!

Featuring a journalist who moves from Berlin to Vienna, Norah is ready for a fresh start. She leaves behind a mess from a previous story and a puzzled boyfriend.

A homeless woman delivers a dire prophecy and a whole host of strange things begin happeni
Jen
Jan 30, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fast paced and atmospheric psychological thriller and I really enjoyed it. It centers on Norah, who moves from Berlin to Vienna after a painful breakup. Almost as soon as she gets there, she is confronted by a beggar on the street telling her that she is going to kill a man on a certain date- she is horrified, as that date holds memories for her, and her worst fear is taking a life. From there, all kinds of creepy things keep happening until we finally figure out what is really going ...more
Marianne
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Shadow is the third novel by German author, Melanie Raabe. It is flawlessly translated from German by Imogen Taylor. Abandoning her job, her home, her boyfriend and her dog, in January 2017, journalist Norah Richter heads to Vienna. A libel suit has eliminated any chance of her keeping her job, and she’s been head-hunted by the publisher of an Austrian magazine, so staying in Berlin isn’t really an option.

But mere hours after her arrival in Vienna, a rather creepy old woman pronounces that
Sasa aka Sasko
Dec 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most creative and original thrillers I have read in some time!The writing is surprisingly good and it flows well. It wasn't very hard to guess who is behind all the strange happenings but the motivation and why were bonkers.I wouldn't think of that reason in a million years.There were also a few smaller unpredictable twists by the end of the book.My only niggle is that it was a tad slow burn of a book and it was some time before it started been really interesting so I couldn't ...more
Heidi
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting concept - does a prophecy predict a future that is inevitable, or will it prompt us to fulfill the prediction? This character driven mystery was off to a slow start but I found the ending to be quite unexpected and original. Loved the atmospheric setting in a grey wintry Vienna, which brought back childhood memories. A perfect holiday read.
Barbara Carter
Jul 06, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not my typical genre of reading. But I do enjoy a good psychological thriller every now and then.
This is the third novel by a German author.
I have not read her two previous books, but will probably think about giving them a try.
Unless this type of work can grab me right from the beginning, I’m quick to cast it aside. This book definitely caught my attention immediately! From the opening lines I was into the story.
Though I did feel there were parts in the middle that dragged a bit.
The st
Shannon
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
Thank you to NetGalley and Text Publishing for the arc of the Shadow by Melanie Raabe and Imogen Taylor❤️

Thank you to Melanie Raabe and Imogen Taylor for writing this book❤️

This is translated from German🇩🇪

Journalist Norah Richter abandons her job, house, partner and her dog! January 2017 She heads to Vienna the Libel suit has stopped any chances of her keeping her own job. She's also been hunted by an Austrian magazine so her staying in Berlin isn't wise. 😞

After she gets to Vienna an old woman p
Tez
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG, the final 100 pages. The concept is a bit naff, and I was kind of unsure in the beginning, but READ THIS!
OjoAusana
May 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2021
only read this bc it was a bonus read on hoopla but it was much better than i expected ngl
Cat
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really like a book that is different. 4.5 🌟
Alix
Feb 15, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shadow is an entertaining thriller set in Vienna. Definitely a page-turner. But the reveal and the actions leading up to it was just completely implausible in my opinion. And it seemed like the author kind of haphazardly inserted the reveal at the end about one of the characters having Borderline Personality Disorder. Overall, this is an engaging thriller but your mileage may vary depending on how plausible you view the ending.
Melanie Johnson
I had no idea where this book was going - was it horror? Suspense? Norah is walking down the street when a beggar tells her that she will kill a man on February 11 with her own free will. The man is someone she’s never met. Alfred Grimm. This book is a slow burn with a big payoff in the end.
Barbara
This one got under my skin. It’s eerie and a little spooky, but not supernatural spooky. Reading it was like watching smoke on a cool, dark night weave its way slowly through the air. It’s a slow and steady burn that has you on the edge of your seat wondering where it’s all going to lead. It’s disconcerting, somewhat like a train wreck from which you cannot turn away.
I found this book very visceral, and that is probably due to how the author makes “place” an entity. You can almost smell, feel, a
Joann
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised by this book!
Norah is trying to start a new life, She gets a quick fortune telling by a beggar in the street. Weird, but it triggers something in her. The date of the prediction is significant and troubling.
Thus begins a wild ride with neighbors, friends, headed down a dangerous path that's a little obsessive at times. Things that happen are creepy, timing is all strange and Norah ends up turning the tables and putting pieces together just in time.
I loved the twists, th
Gerrie
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shadow by Melanie Raabe (translated by Imogen Taylor) is a gripping psychological thriller, the third book by this very talented German writer.
I was hooked by the prologue, as an unknown character regards her fate by a frozen lake, and decides to take action, with the intent to “destroy Norah.” In the very next chapter, the reader is then introduced to Norah Richter, a news writer and journalist, who is driving from Berlin to Vienna to begin a new life away from her troubled past and her par
Amie
Thank you to Netgalley, Melanie, and Spiderline for an advance copy of The Shadow.

1) The Shadow has previously been published in German, the ARC that I received is for the release of the English translation.
2) I am weirdly attracted to books that have ferris wheels on the cover? Is this a thing?
3) I spent a couple of days in Vienna last winter and it’s such a beautiful place, and so rarely featured in books so it was lovely to get to escape back to that city for a bit (even given the sinister p
Sabrina
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was similar to the other books I have read by her insofar as the main character is a woman that gets increasingly more unreliable both to the reader (up to the point where you are not quite sure anymore whether you can trust her account) and with her ending up not knowing whether she can still trust herself or those around her.
This isolation of the main character was even exacerbated in this one since it does not only stem from plot developments and/or the main character being a recluse in
KKEC Reads
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Melanie Raabe and team for the opportunity to read and review for you.

“‘Now you listen to me, you fuckwit,’ she said softly. ‘I don’t care why you’re the way you are. I don’t care if you had a deprived childhood or if you have complexes about your microscopic dick—though I assume you do. None of that interests me. But if ever I see you treat that lady or anyone else like that again, I’ll hire myself an Andrej or a Gia
Caroline Wilson
I was looking forward to reading this book due to good reviews. Sorry but I didn’t like it. It’s a psychological thriller which I felt was all over the place. The main character, Norah, is a journalist in Berlin, has a boyfriend Alex who’s a surgeon. From what I gather he usually goes along with everything she says, wants, needs etc. Then one day he totally disagrees with her, now in my book it was just a little “something” but in Norah’s mind it totally pissed her off ! Poor guy should ha be an ...more
Elisa
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel would have blindsided me completely if I hadn’t seen a play by Neil LaBute with a similar twist. It was still an unexpected plot, very dark and with philosophical implications that gave me a lot to think about. Norah is a journalist with issues. She recently moved from Berlin to Vienna and the city is gloomy and depressing. Then one day a homeless woman makes a prophecy and Norah seems to do everything possible to fulfill it, even if it’s not a good prophecy. The novel is very atmosph ...more
Susana Rio
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great premise and fantastic writing. Melanie Raabe is an amazing writer and the plot of the book was really interesting.

I really enjoyed learning about Norah and the fact that I could not tell whether she was a reliable character or not. The isolation and the move to a new city made it quite interesting and the little clues provided by the author made it interesting for me. My only slight problem was that the book was quite slow paced at the beginning and it was difficult for me to keep engaged.
Doris Wiggins
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Norah has recently moved to a new city. So she knows that no one knows who she is. She has been approached by a random homeless woman that warns her that she will kill someone on the eleventh of the month. Norah is quite taken aback. That is the date that her best friend committed suicide.
To make matters worse she starts receiving odd text messages. Then things start disappearing from her apartment. To make things more difficult, shes finding odd stuff that doesn't belong to her. Friends that s
Nia Ireland
This book really set the autumn mood for me, with its chilly and bleak mood. Norah has moved to Vienna following some kind of incident in Berlin, to be revealed later in the book, she brings with her a few boxes and a sense of general depression which really resonated.
For me, the pacing of this novel was a bit off as the suspense didn’t quite have the boldness needed to complement the wonderfully dramatic ending. It felt a little like two books squished into one, a psychological drama of Norah o
Cyndi
Jan 29, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, edelweiss
I’ve never read anything by Raabe, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. This was a gem of psychological suspense with a lot going on. The protagonist is Norah, who has just moved to Vienna for a new job. She’s told a cryptic message by a stranger on the street and it unleashes a whole slew of crazy making events.

I loved Norah’s character and the way she is willing to fight for others who are unjustly treated. I love how she takes charge of her own destiny and stands up against tyranny. She is an int
« previous 1 3 next »

• Das Kindermädchen (Joachim Vernau, #1)
  • Blindtunnel
  • What You Never Knew
  • The Good Lie
  • The Butterfly House (Korner and Werner, #3)
  • The Plot
  • Der Fund: Thriller
  • The Photographer
  • Sleepless
  • Vanitas – Schwarz wie Erde
  • The Dinner Guest
  • DOORS X - Dämmerung
  • The Perfect Family
  • Victim 2117 (Department Q, #8)
  • The Imposter