Start by marking “The All New Must Have Orange 430” as Want to Read:
The All New Must Have Orange 430

The All New Must Have Orange 430

Harvey owned a heap of stuff, but could always use more. The ORANGE 430 was the latest and the greatest. Harvey wasn't sure what it did, but he had to have it!

A cheeky picture book for anyone whos bought a thingy or whatsit . . . and doesn't quite know why. In his debut picture book, Michael Speechley explores our obsession with stuff in a fun and edifying way.
Published May 28th 2018 by Penguin | Viking

To ask other readers questions about The All New Must Have Orange 430, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The All New Must Have Orange 430

Start your review of The All New Must Have Orange 430
Shane Harcombe
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great picture book that points the finger at pointless consumerism and our never-ending desire to have the latest and greatest. A good message to get out to kids early and getting them to think through their spending (whether with their own or their parent's money).
Jess
The All New Must Have Orange 430 by Michael Speechley is a picture book that is desperately needed in today's world. With consumerism running riot, and children and adults a like falling victim to the 'must-keep-up-with-the-Jones' mentality day in and day out, it's a relief to see a picture book that fills a much needed, but unnoticed gap in the market.

This book is designed to show children and adults a like that the we don't need things to have fun, and that sometimes the all-new-must-item we
Library_geek
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Full review can be found at https://littlebigreads.com/2018/06/18...

when I got this book into my hands and understood what it was about the environment, waste and consumerism I was really excited by its concept and the ease in which it reads for school aged children.

Educators and parents will find this book appealing because it inspires children to think about what they own, and encourage them to consider needs as opposed to getting every whatsydo or thingamajig for no apparent reason. The
Rhyllis Bignell
Michael Speechleys debut picture book The All New Must Have Orange 430 introduces young children to consumerism, it demonstrates that you dont need to have the latest toy to have fun. In our world today, we are bombarded with advertising, children covet the latest electronic device, toy or fashion clothing. Speechleys message is powerfully illustrated in dark, layered backgrounds with sepia toned images featuring a moody mix of brown, grey, orange and white.
Harveys desire for the all new ORANGE
Ingrid Micallef
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jennie
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Harvey amasses useless and meaningless items, enraptured by each new advertisement promoting the latest useless gadget. A wry and witty commentary on society's consumerism wastefulness with a dig at industry as well as the stupidity and gullibleness of consumers.
Very clever and could be used at any age to spark discussion and debate. The dark and childlike illustrations are perfect for this story.
2019 CBCA short listed for Picture Book of the Year
Jayarna
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really Cool illustrations, with engaging use of colour. I love the random and strange little additives, like the small store below the big store. It also has a nice underlying message about capitalism in today's society, and teaching kids about not just wanting everything they see. A good ending too. Read it if you like your kids books to be a little bit different.
Karen
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: includes-review, 2018
Plenty of chuckles for older children and adults, who are no-doubt aware of the pervasiveness of advertising and consumerism. My 8 and 11 year olds enjoyed this book and are totally on-board with its message.
Emma
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
An amusing tale about "keeping up with the Joneses", consumerism and being happy with what you have. I don't think younger readers would necessarily understand the abovementioned, but I'm sure they'd be entertained - especially when "the games begin"! ;-)
Sharni Benson
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is fantastic.

The head of Library and I had a fantastic laugh reading this book and thinking of the activities the kids could do with it.

I'm voting this CBCA Winner 2019
Lorraine Horsley
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love it!
It really makes you rethink needs v wants and what is really important.
Mike has an incredible style.
Beck
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read as part of the Around the Year in 52 books challenge. Week 52: A book with a weird or intriguing title

Belinda