Start by marking “Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink” as Want to Read:
Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink

Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink

Everyone knows how to drink beer, but few know how to really taste it with an understanding of the finer points of brewing, serving, and food pairing. Discover the ingredients and brewing methods that make each variety unique and learn to identify the scents, colors, flavors, and mouthfeel of all the major beer styles. Recommendations for more than 50 types of beer from ar ...more
Published February 11th 2009 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tasting Beer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tasting Beer

Start your review of Tasting Beer: An Insider's Guide to the World's Greatest Drink
Shane
May 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
If asked "why do you like beer so much," it would be difficult to find a better answer than "read Tasting Beer and you'll figure it out." Mosher is well-known in the world of beer geekery and homebrewing, with years of experience under his belt, and this book clearly demonstrates his knowledge and passion for brew.

Everything about the book is extremely enjoyable. While many experts and aficionados talk about their topics of interest in a way that makes them seem elitist or holier-tha
Grayson
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book made me really thirsty. Seriously -- it took me over a month to read it, because I couldn't sit down with it without a glass of beer to keep me company. It's impossible to read the lush descriptions of malt and hops without sipping along on something with those flavors.

I learned a lot from this book. I now know why I hate IPAs and why I love nut brown ales. I want to make myself a Black Velvet (a cocktail that's half stout and half champagne). I want to try practically ever
Rob
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: brewing, 2017
Since I started homebrewing a couple of years ago, I've read almost two dozen books on beer and brewing, and I'd estimate about a hundred blog posts and articles. Few of those have been anywhere near as delightful as Randy Mosher's Tasting Beer. Mosher's love of this agricultural/culinary art form is manifest in every word and every figure of this book. He lovingly describes each style in visceral, sensuous detail. He illuminates the history of beer and beer-making (even the boring taxation aspects) ...more
Zuzka Namu Jakubkova
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent guide on beer for both novices and pros. Personally, I loved the chapters on context of beer brewing in history and chapters describing in detail ales, IPAs, etc.

Even though I'm not a beer pro in any way, I was very happy to discover a world after the ever present pilsners. It's just like with specialty coffee, the whole concept of finer (or just different) tastes seems extremely snobish at first. In reality, it's just finding your way around a variety of craft beers and learning what
Kim
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very helpful for a relatively new craft beer drinker. Looking forward to continuing my beer journey.
Jim
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it
I had a little trouble rating this. While it is interesting, I found it difficult to get through quickly. Part of that may be the way it is organized and all the distracting, but interesting, little sidebars, in the book. To me, it is more of a reference work and I've tabbed a number of pages that I know I will want to go back to at some future point. He provides a lot of historical information about the development of beer, indeed he is not alone in declaring it, along with bread, as the food t ...more
Jason Pettus
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I decided to lump both Randy Mosher's Tasting Beer and Joshua Bernstein's The Complete Beer Course into one communal review and post it twice, because both books turn out to cover almost exactly the same ground and are of almost exactly the same quality. That quality is great, though, don't get me wrong, in both cases exhausting looks at the process by which beer is actually made, followed up by a detailed examination of roughly 100 different types of beer around the world, and what makes each one differe ...more
Bert Heymans
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very comprehensive and fun to read. You'll learn a lot. The parts about Belgian beers are all very correct as far as I can tell. I even got the audio version on Audible, still very enjoyable given the amount of lists in the book. The narrator has a hard time with the pronunciation of everything in Dutch, German and French (hard to decipher and a bit funny too at times).
Maddie
Mar 12, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
Not enough info I didn't know to keep reading...
Lena
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible, nonfiction
There. I read a book for work!
Piotr
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
There is a lot of knowledge in the book, but is it well written and fun to read. Chapters about tasting and history are fantastic and very insightful. Parts about food paring and beer examples are written in a US-centric way, but apart from this the book is well suited for an European reader as well, as metric units are provided in nearly all cases. A must-read for a beer geek.
Paul
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Having had my fill of epic fantasy and philosophy for the time being, I decided it was time for something completely different: beer. Randy Mosher’s Tasting Beer is a detailed instruction manual for becoming not only a learned taster of beer, but a serious professional. Mosher’s expertise is well-represented in this book, but his style is simple and flowing, making it easy for even a novice to understand and appreciate his wisdom. His work exudes passion, not pretentiousness, making it an enjoya ...more
Derek Wolfgram
Nov 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
bought this after hearing Randy Mosher speak at the American Homebrewers Association Conference in Oakland... he provides a very entertaining and informative look at all aspects of enjoying beer. He reviews the history of beer, how the brewing process contributes to the resulting product, and how to evaluate beer, not only from a judging perspective but also from a pure enjoyment perspective. The book is full of interesting little facts, such as the fact that the "tongue map" of sensations we'v ...more
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beer
If you're trying to learn about beer, this books is outstanding. It has to be one of the best medium-length guides to all things beer, including tasting, history by region, a bit on brewing, serving, glassware, a bit on draught systems, flavors, off-flavors, colors, a bit on pairings, and fairly extensive (though limited) introduction to all styles, eve historical ones. If you're pleasure reading, it might be a bit much, but if you're intermediate to advanced in learning about the world's most v ...more
Jill Miller
Sep 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read this for a class I was taking, and found it to be quite an enjoyable textbook! There is a wealth of information in the book, and many excellent illustrations. The beer/food pairing section is especially good. My only complaint is that the book wasn't organized quite as well as I wish it had been...it seemed a little jumbled at times. Overall, quite an enjoyable and informative read, and WOW, does that guy love beer!!
Anne
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this for a book club. It's a great reference to have, but not the kind of book to read straight through. I learned a lot and now would like to try brewing at home in order to learn more about the brewing process. He mentions a lot of neat events his organization puts on in Chicago that I'd like to attend. Highly recommended.
Jon
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
While a little repetitive at times this book does a great job explaining the origins of beer, the specifics of beer tasting as well as the nuances that make each type of beer different. Good for any casual beer fan looking to learn more about the history behind the beer they are drinking. This book has earned a prominent spot on my coffee table!
Chuck
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book that covers everything you'd want to know about beer. Includes many perspectives (historical, scientific, culinary) and breaks down every beer style imaginable. Whether you want to know what cheese pairs best with a Doppelbock or how the industrial revolution helped the proliferation of lagers, this book has it.

And now that I am thirsty, I must conclude this review.
Eddie Black
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am flipping back and forth through this book. I have tons of bartending books and this is the best one on beer that I've ever come across. Highly recommend this book.
Liz De Coster
Interesting, but for serious beer geeks only!
Jonathan
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can't say enough good stuff about this book. This book was recommended to me as a study guide for the Level 1 Cicerone Beer Server Exam. I told some of my co-workers I was reading this as preparation, and they assured me that if I just read the study guide our bar manager gave us, I'd pass the test no problem. I didn't need to read a 367-page book to pass the exam. They may be right, but this was honestly such a good read, I didn't want to put it down. Enjoying an IPA at the end of the day is an ...more
Rajiv Chopra
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: culture
I actually do like this book quite a lot. It is well written, with lots of information. I do love the quotes he brings into the book, and this liven it up quite a lot.

While I am not a beer expert, I wonder if the USA is a beer heaven, as he claims. Possibly, yes. The march of tasteless beers due to steady commercialisation is inevitable.

Some of the technical aspects went over my head, and this is the only reason I give it four stars instead of five.

All in all, a really enjoyable book
Jernej Vrečar
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book to pick up if you're interested in all things beer - from history and styles, to tasting and pairing. This book offers a general, beginners overview of the world's greatest drink. With plenty of pictures. Recommended for early enthusiasts - proper beer geeks will not find anything new here.
Chad Walker
This is surprisingly compact given the amount of information in here. It’s also impressive how you can either read it straight through as a beginner or keep coming back to sections as an expert to remind yourself of basic things you get cocky in your knowledge and forget. This is the beer book that I first indulged in as part of my obsession, and it’s still in my top two or three. Prost!
Brent Nelson
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Completely packed with information not only about the different styles of beer, but also a brief history of beer (as a whole and regional differences), notes on the smells and tastes one might encounter while drinking, and some of the science behind the brewing process itself.
Mryare
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An excellent guide to everything beer, anyone looking to really grasp tasting rather than just drinking beer should read it. Covers history, ingredients, brewing, food pairing, serving and even draft systems it's got everything in it.
Michael
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great overview of styles along with details specific to each in turn. Aroma, taste, OG, attenuation, bitterness, food pairings, classic style examples...it's all there with a good spot of history to boot. Really well put together book.
Joe Pennell
Excellent read for anyone who wants to learn the expanding world of craft brewing. It was our text for Beers of the World in the craft brewing program at #SUNYSCCC.
Rodney Jones
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beer
A good read that hits on just about all components around beer...thought it may have been a little long in parts but understand the need to build up some of the history behind beer.
Warren
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent, complete coverage of all things beer. Learned far more than I anticipated.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Brewmaster's Table: Discovering the Pleasures of Real Beer with Real Food
  • Malt: A Practical Guide from Field to Brewhouse
  • How to Brew: Everything You Need to Know to Brew Beer Right the First Time
  • Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation
  • Designing Great Beers: The Ultimate Guide to Brewing Classic Beer Styles
  • Proof: The Science of Booze
  • The Complete Joy of Homebrewing
  • The Complete Beer Course: Boot Camp for Beer Geeks: From Novice to Expert in Twelve Tasting Classes
  • For the Love of Hops: The Practical Guide to Aroma, Bitterness and the Culture of Hops
  • The Beer Bible
  • Brew Like a Monk: Trappist, Abbey, and Strong Belgian Ales and How to Brew Them
  • Barrel-Aged Stout and Selling Out: Goose Island, Anheuser-Busch, and How Craft Beer Became Big Business
  • Water: A Comprehensive Guide for Brewers
  • Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew
  • The Audacity of Hops: The History of America's Craft Beer Revolution
  • Brewing Up a Business: Adventures in Entrepreneurship from the Founder of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
  • The Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide: Tools and Techniques to Hit the Trail
  • The Oxford Companion to Beer
“I’m not pointing any fingers, but look at the places where beer is absolutely forbidden. It’s easy to see the contrast.” 0 likes
“Beer makes us happy.” 0 likes