Start by marking “Only the Lonely (From the Files of Madison Finn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Only the Lonely (From the Files of Madison Finn, #1)

Only the Lonely (From the Files of Madison Finn #1)

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  1,152 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Twelve-year old tweenager Madison Finn isn't sure that she can survive the end of summer, let alone the beginning of seventh grade. Middle school is a whole new world and with her parents divorce and new classmates, life is all about changes.
Published May 2nd 2001 by Volo (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Only the Lonely, please sign up.

Miranda I think some parts were funny, but its not really known to be funny. Great series, in my opinion though.

Chloe Chan
I may be a Harry Potter girl, but this series is the only one that I ever felt like I truly connected with the character. I was seven when I borrowed this from my twelve year old cousin (that I adored). I couldn't wait to be twelve, this book made that number into my lucky one. Obviously, after i turned twelve, I had to get a new one (I'm still at a lost, and am in lack of a lucky number.) but its storyline and general family situation the character was in felt infinitely similar to mine. Though ...more
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youngsters
I am 22 years old and I adore this formulaic, 14-chapter-per-book series. I started reading it when I was in high school. I was bored on a car ride and stopped in a bookstore to buy new books. The selection was limited, but here was this colorful chapter series (very short at the time as there were only four books released). I bought it and finished all four books in one day.

I never was much into the chapter books when I was a kid, but I imagine this is The Babysitter's Club for a new generation
[Review of entire series]

I read this entire book series back when I was 12 years old or so, which is I think the same age as the main character. At the time, I obviously enjoyed them since I'd always check them out from the library and bought a couple random ones here and there. The stories are not anything unique or special, and same with the characters-- I'm sure most of it is predictable and cliche. However, at that age (these are children's/early middle school books), I enjoyed them, thus th
Jul 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
i was reading an animorphs book w/ an internet-centered plot and it made me think of this series

i had to google “YA book series about a girl with a blog named maddie” at 2am

also: shoutout to openlibrary

extraordinarily dated now but i was so charmed by all the internet lingo then

i rmr relating to the protagonist when i first read these— i’m 23 now, so all i can really say is: it seems abt right
Chen Wing Hei Micheline
This book is about a girl called Madison Francesca Finn who dreaded facing the summer holidays since both of her best friends went to different camps and her parents have divorced. However, she also met a girl who recently moved in and made a new friend. Will Madison survive the holidays? Read on and find out.
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it gives you an idea about people's lives when their friends are away at camp and of when they are back, when you have made a new friend . I think that 1 graders would like this book more than other people would.
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile
As a preteen, I thought Madison Finn was pretty cool; in retrospect… ehhh…
Amy H
I got this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review...

Madison is getting ready to start the 7th grade. The only problem is that she is allergic to change. That is right. She gets hives whenever their is change.

Summer vacation is almost over and she is lonely. Her two best friends are away at camp. Egg is away at computer camp and Aimee is away at dance camp. They barley wrote her and she has no other friends. Madison did go to Brazil with her mom over the summer. Her mother make
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-faves
This entire series was my everything. Madison was the ultimate character to me. Her daily life with best friends, crushes, enemies, and family situation melted my heart. As a pre-teen, these books were so interesting, influential and made me want to be 12. I wanted to be the 7th grader walking home with my best friends, going to the mall, playing with puppies, and even having a pen pal! I've been trying to find a series like it but I just can't seem to find one. Anyway, this series is a treat fo ...more
Jan 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book for a few reasons:

Madison trolls for friends in an internet chat room? I think that is the wrong message to send. She starts emailing with someone called bigwheels, who is supposed to be a 13 or 14 year old girl? my immediate thought was: 50 year old perv alert.

Madison is not very likable. Her friends go away to camp over the summer and she is all bitter about it. Then she makes friends with a new girl in town, they get along great and hang out, but as soon as school star
Susan  Dunn
Jun 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Cute. A good tween book. Madison is starting junior high and is VERY nervous about this. Her two best friends, Aimee and Egg, are away at camp for the summer, so she doesn't even have anyone to commiserate with. When a new family moves in down the street, Madison discovers that there is a girl just her age. Over the course of the summer, the two become very close. But when Aimee finally gets home, Madison is torn between her new and her old friend. And then when Fiona starts hanging out with Mad ...more
Despair Speaking
Sep 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
You can guess from the title itself that this is about the life of an ordinary twelve-year-old named Madison Finn. Madison Finn is one of those heroines who one can relate to and will like as the story progresses. Her insecurities, her interest in the Internet (although mainly in bigfishbowl), and her love for her dog were so well-written that it's as if Madison Finn is a real girl and the author is just writing her biography.

But it turns out she is really just fiction. Too bad.

Probably the only
Michelle Kidwell
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Only The Lonely
Laura Dower
Copyright 2001

Madison is allergic to change but everything is changing.  She is starting seventh grade which means a lot of changes.  Even her friends are changing and she is not sure she likes it.  In the midst of all the change she comes to the realization that she too is changing and maybe not all change has to be bad.

I thought this book was very cute and 3rd through seventh grade girls would really enjoy it.  I would recommend this book for the young and the young a
Excalibur Snape
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a great middle grade book.
I like the netgalley book cover better then the one that good read is showing.
it's funny that I see a lot of myself in Maddie and its scary because it's been many years since I have been twelve.
My favourite character was phin the pug.
The relationship between the characters in this book is really quite complex.
The story is quite humorus.
It is a light hearted read.
A story that all ages can enjoy.
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book,very much.It reminded me somewhat of my self,when I was goin into 7th grade.Man,things have really changed since 2001 cause 6th grade is when middle school starts.I recomend this book to anyone who likes The Lizzie McGuire series.It has good lesons to learn,like how to deal with being lonely,how to deal with parents divorce,how to let anger go,and how to stay safe online in chat forums.
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: girly girls or bored people
this didn't really have a plot, it was more all about how teenagers go through adolescence. I thought it was rather a bore, and didn't find it very captivating. the only reason I kept reading was because I hate to start a book and not finish! i wouldn't recommend this to readers who like action. It was basically about how the main character(madison) is left all alone all summer, andfinds a new friend, loses that friend, and gets back together with that friend. *yawn*
Sarah Channer-smithson
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was absolutely head over heels in love with the series in elementary school. I felt so sad when I reached the end of the last book. I think I loved it so much because Madison was and in some ways is still like me. Who doesnt love a book with a character or characters you can relate to. It's a really great series especially for those in elementary and middle school (who I'm pretty sure the book was intended for anyways). But I'm still contemplating whether or not I should re-read the series!
Denasia Fitch
Madisons life is changing quickly. Madison isn't sure that she can survive this new life style, let alone the beginning of a new school year. in the authors conclusion maybe some changes are good... when a new girl moves in down the street, madison finally meets the new girl, her life turns out to be very different than she had expected.
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood
Madison Finn. This was such a great book series when I was in elementary school. The covers always intrigued me and I always tried to collect/read the series whenever I could at Borders. (Man, I miss Borders.) Another great series that I highly recommend to elementary school kids up to middle school.
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read the Madison Finn series back when i was 8 years old. It was because of her and Geronimo Stilton that i fell in love with books, then came Nancy Drew. Rating this 5 stars as this is a good read for kids in elementary and is a very relateable character for children.
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good and I love this series so much!!! I have read three books of this series now. It would be amazing to follow Madison Finn's life through these books and wow, I can imagine Madison Finn as a grown-well lady:)
I borrowed this from NetGalley for an honest review.

I thought this was good but boy did Maddie over think everything. Her life wouldn't have been so complicated if she didn't worry so much and just relax (good advice her dad told her).

Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Madison is deeply bored over the summer. she meets a new friend and isent so bored any more. is a new friend good? school starts and she hangs out with the mean girls! oh no...could she really be apart of that?
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The first book of Madison Finn is all about meeting a new friend Fiona from California. She has a twin brother Chet, who is always annoying her. Maddie also met her keypal bigwheels in the chat room named "Only the Lonely"
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Dec 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-books
We listened to this book on CD and the voice was so real for the 7th grade girl and the crazy relationships that kids have at this age. What I liked most is that the characters are not over the top, but very real.
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I hate how Madison always says "later than late" "cooler than cool" etc. etc.... Every book is the same thing. Madison has a problem, she solves the problem, happy ending with cheesy things in between. Boring boring boring...
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Girls
Recommended to Anna-Kristina by: Librarian
The whole series is amazing! Read it! Unless your a guy, ecspecially Cole, because then you'll say they're gay...Unless your Uncle E, who reads everything, you (Uncle E)...Would write a very intelligent review about how much you hated it. That's the only exception.
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Reread it trying to figure out why I rated 2 stars in the first place. IT was cute but some things ignored me like Madison sticking her head in a locker (not a major spoiler!) and her saying just ove on and start over. ### Stars!
Marlena  Montero
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Middle-school/junior high aged girls
Recommended to Marlena by: My mom
Read about half the Madison Finn series and it all started here with Only the Lonely. I totally recommend it to middle-school/junior high aged girls/boys. I fell in love with these series when I was around 10, and couldn't put it down!
madison finn 1 26 Dec 01, 2007 03:25AM
  • Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #1)
  • Natalie's Secret (Camp Confidential, #1)
  • Heaven Sent (Goddesses, #1)
  • Amelia Works It Out (Amelia's Notebooks, #8)
Laura Dower worked in marketing and editorial in kid’s publishing for many years before taking a big leap to the full-time life of an author. Since 2000, she has penned 90+ books–from picture books to young adult fiction and nonfiction. Along the way, she had two sons and a daughter. Laura and her groovy family of five live in Yonkers, NY.
More about Laura Dower...

From the Files of Madison Finn (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Boy, Oh Boy! (From the Files of Madison Finn, #2)
  • Play It Again (From the Files of Madison Finn, #3)
  • Caught in the Web (From the Files of Madison Finn, #4)
  • Thanks for Nothing (From the Files of Madison Finn, #5)
  • Lost and Found (From the Files of Madison Finn, #6)
  • Save the Date (From the Files of Madison Finn, #7)
  • Picture-Perfect (From the Files of Madison Finn, #8)
  • Just Visiting (From the Files of Madison Finn, #9)
  • Give and Take (From the Files of Madison Finn, #10)
  • Heart to Heart  (From the Files of Madison Finn, #11)

Young Adult Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
  • Orphan Train Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
  • Period 8
    $6.74 $0.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $3.99 $2