Start by marking “Another” as Want to Read:

A Publishers Weekly Best Book of 2019
A School Library Journal Best Picture Book of 2019
A BookPage Best Picture Book of 2019
A Horn Book Fanfare Selection of 2019

In his eagerly anticipated debut as author-illustrator, Caldecott and Coretta Scott King honoree Christian Ro
Published March 5th 2019 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Another, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another

Start your review of Another
carol.
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to carol. by: Carmen
A very appealing book. The (visual) story is interesting and the art phenomenal. There's a "different-but-same" message, or a "unfamiliar-is-familiar" theme that works without being A Message. Sadly, I had no kids around to test it. However, I still think it would make a great children's book. I definitely added to the 'birthday gift' pile.

See Carmen's fabulous review for samples of the artwork.
Carmen
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children; Parents

I am actually going to give this book a five. A little girl wakes up to see her cat going through a portal which opened up in her room late at night. She follows, only to discover that there is a secret world where everyone has an alternate version of themselves.

It's quite charming and interesting.

The book has no words.

RELATED MATERIAL:

US - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6857112/

STRANGER THINGS: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4574334/

Let's Get Invisible! Let by R.L. Stine
Calista
A wordless story. The cat seems to go through a portal to another dimension perhaps and while there sees all different kinds of perspectives.

Honestly, I’m not quite sure what was going on. It seems a girl was walking her cat through an Escher like landscape. There was little sense to it for me. This was not my favorite story or wordless book and I do like wordless stories. Usually in a wordless story, the author gives the perfect scene to get across the story and I didn’t feel like I really knew
Lisa Vegan
This is an odd book. It’s wordless and I did love the pictures. Many of them really do look three dimensional and that seems appropriate since the “story” is about a girl and her cat who discover another parallel dimension where they also exist in the middle of the night, so in their dreams? In the girl’s dreams? Anyway, it’s creative and interesting but I liked the pictures more than the slight story they told. I’m thinking that for me it didn’t live up to its ambition?
Mir
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute illustrations. This would be a nice way to introduce the idea of parallel dimensions to a small child. Not sure how many parents want to do that, but whatever.

I liked the fearlessness with which girl and cat encounter new things.
DaNae
If Mr. Rogers and Escher conspired to create The Upsidedown.
Skip
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The highlight of this wordless book by Robinson are its illustrations, which are somewhat evocative of Eric Carle. However, Robinson adds a couple of interesting things: first, a broad cross-section of children from different backgrounds and second, looking at things from different perspectives (in almost an Escher-like way.) The story did not make much sense, at least to me.
Josiah
Jan 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
How would you respond if given the chance to temporarily leave your normal life and enter a world where even the laws of physics are different? The girl in this book has that chance one night when a portal opens in her room while she's asleep in bed. Her cat—wearing a red collar—notices the portal first, when an identical cat in a blue collar steps through. The girl's cat follows the other feline back through the portal, and so does the girl, stepping into a world of eccentric sensory delights.

Becky
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I guess I just didn't get it? I like the illustration style though.
Laura Harrison
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
The illustrations deserve 5 stars. I can't devote an afternoon trying to understand what Robinson is trying to convey in Another. Too many other child friendly books to review.
Aaliyah
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My daughter said, "Mom, this book doesn't have any words, what do you want me to do?" I said they want you to be creative and make up your own story. :)
La Coccinelle
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Another is a wordless picture book that details the adventures of a young girl who follows her cat through a portal into a world where everybody has a double.

It's fun to look at. The illustrations, done with a combination of painting and collage, are colourful and engaging. The children depicted are diverse.

But... this didn't wow me. I got the story, but it seemed a little sparse. The interaction between the girl and her double seemed almost like an afterthought; I thought more could've been don
Jeimy
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wordless, fantastic, with just a hint of Escher.
Robin
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wordless whimsy that didn't grab me. A bit of Eric Carle and MC Escher influence to the illustration.
Michele Knott
Brilliant use of perspective and white space in this one! No doubt each reading of this book will spark wonder, curiosity and imagination.
Ms. B
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, picture, wordless
Is it a little girl's dream, imagination or a mirror that leads to a parallel world in this wordless picture book.
Sandy Brehl
This wordless book literally opens minds to the prospect of parallel universes, to mirror images and reflections of self in others, to open-minded insights into worlds beyond our own. Even though this is initiated at night, in a very dark bedroom, and ends there, too, there is nothing frightening about the possibilities presented.
The various movements and reflections and adventures require readers to twist and turn the physical book, making the original or "assumed" perspective take on new aspe
Ⓟⓔⓐⓒⓗⓨ Ⓚⓔⓔⓝ Ⓡⓔⓐⓓⓢ
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves to let their imagination run wild.
Lovely. A picture book with no words. Only pictures. A girl and her black cat travel to a different world. Sweet and amazing pictures. Lets my imagination flow.

Kifflie
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A wordless picture book. A girl and her cat find a portal to an alternate dimension, where kids and their doubles encounter each other. Eventually she finds her alternate self. This book may have you twisting it around to see the illustrations clearly. It's a cute concept and well executed.
Edward Sullivan
A playful, imaginative, completely charming wordless adventure following a little girl and her cat as they venture into another world.
Joan Marie
This one's a big question for me. The storyline is confusing. It appears to be saying something about dreamland, but stilll... I was hoping for something more.
Meredith
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Trippy.
Shaye Miller
Jan 07, 2020 added it
Shelves: wordless
I read this book long after my youngest went to sleep, which is such a shame. Because I believe we usually get more out of wordless picture books when we read them with children. Their perspectives and untainted imaginations are so fantastic to witness. But what I gathered from my reading of this story was the feeling of shifted reality. There are multiple perspectives mixed with pure imagination — and the cat leads the way for most of the story. The pictures made me think of a combination of Sa ...more
Julie
Beautiful, imaginative, and playful, with the young protagonist following her cat - and another cat, identical except for its collar - through a portal into another world, where laws of physics don't necessarily work out in the same way as "reality". Robinson is one of my favorite illustrators and this colorful, creative wordless picture book about exploring an alternate world doesn't disappoint. As an added bonus, the children featured are diverse, including, among others, a differently-abled b ...more
Olivia
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and in the case of Christian Robinson's "Another" this phrase could not fit better!

Each stroke of a pencil or paint brush, each clipping from a hole punch or pair of scissors, and the way each color is used with such consideration and flare shows how talented and visionary Robinson is in his craft as an artist and storyteller!

Whether your little one is learning to read, or your mature one is a seasoned book-lover, everyone will find something whimsi
The Reading Countess
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, picture-books
Fanciful.

The artwork is frame-able.

Robinson is a trusted name on the illustrating side of the business. Now with his debut where he serves as both author AND illustrator, he firmly secures his hold as a trusted book Sherpa.

This wordless picture book begs for multiple readings. There are so many nuances to the story missed in one sitting.

I especially enjoyed the depiction of a wide range of children.

Important.
Rebecca
Christian Robinson's author/illustrator debut! This is a wordless book, so the "writing" is in the story that is told through the pictures. His cut-paper pictures remain some of the kid-friendliest around. I love how this book makes use of (what looks like) hole punches, as the little protagonist's hair beads and as other things in the environment. This through-the-looking glass story would be fun paired with "Sam and Dave Dig a Hole" as far as discussion of what happens.
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A playful wordless book exploring parallel universes where everyone has an-other - someone who is *almost* just like them, but not exactly. This was fun to explore with my Storytime kiddos as a non sciencey “universe of stories” book this summer.

Robinson’s colorful polka dot heavy illustrations inspired lots of conversation as the kids told the story in the pictures.
Alyx Campbell
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really had no idea what this book was trying to say until I went back and read the jacket synopsis, but honestly, I didn't care that much because without fail Christian Robinson's illustrations evoke so much joy for me.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A little girl follows her cat into a mirror where the two of them discover another world. In the other world, there are a cat that looks like the girl's cat as well as a girl who looks like the girl. It's a fun little adventure.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Carl and the Meaning of Life
  • My Heart
  • Tomorrow Most Likely
  • The Undefeated
Christian Robinson is a 2016 Caldecott Honoree and also received a Coretta Scott King Illustrator Honor for his art in Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña (Putnam, 2015); de la Peña himself took home the 2016 Newbery Medal, awarded by the Association for Library Service to Children for the "most distinguished book for children". Robinson, based in San Francisco, is also an animator and h ...more

News & Interviews