Start by marking “Another” as Want to Read:
Another

Another

In his eagerly anticipated debut as author-illustrator, Caldecott and Coretta Scott King honoree Christian Robinson brings young readers on a playful, imaginative journey into another world.

What if you…
encountered another perspective?
Discovered another world?
Met another you?

What might you do?
Published March 5th 2019 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Another, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another

Miriam
May 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute illustrations. This would be a nice way to introduce the idea of parallel dimensions to a small child. Not sure how many parents want to do that, but whatever.

I liked the fearlessness with which girl and cat encounter new things.
DaNae
If Mr. Rogers and Escher conspired to create The Upsidedown.
Skip
Apr 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
The highlight of this wordless book by Robinson are its illustrations, which are somewhat evocative of Eric Carle. However, Robinson adds a couple of interesting things: first, a broad cross-section of children from different backgrounds and second, looking at things from different perspectives (in almost an Escher-like way.) The story did not make much sense, at least to me.
Laura Harrison
Mar 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
The illustrations deserve 5 stars. I can't devote an afternoon trying to understand what Robinson is trying to convey in Another. Too many other child friendly books to review.
Becky
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I guess I just didn't get it? I like the illustration style though.
Aaliyah
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My daughter said, "Mom, this book doesn't have any words, what do you want me to do?" I said they want you to be creative and make up your own story. :)
Jeimy
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wordless, fantastic, with just a hint of Escher.
Meredith
Mar 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Trippy.
Robin
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wordless whimsy that didn't grab me. A bit of Eric Carle and MC Escher influence to the illustration.
Joan Marie
This one's a big question for me. The storyline is confusing. It appears to be saying something about dreamland, but stilll... I was hoping for something more.
Michele Knott
Brilliant use of perspective and white space in this one! No doubt each reading of this book will spark wonder, curiosity and imagination.
Baby Bookworm
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is Another by Christian Robinson, a wordless picture book that embraces the strange in the search for adventure.

In the dark of night, a portal opens up into a little girl’s bedroom, and a small black cat – identical to her own but for a different-colored collar – pops in. When the feline swipes a toy, the girl and the cat decide to follow it into the portal, which opens into a crazy negative space with very few rules. Up is down, left is right, and the world is a s
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A playful wordless book exploring parallel universes where everyone has an-other - someone who is *almost* just like them, but not exactly. This was fun to explore with my Storytime kiddos as a non sciencey “universe of stories” book this summer.

Robinson’s colorful polka dot heavy illustrations inspired lots of conversation as the kids told the story in the pictures.
Alyx Campbell
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really had no idea what this book was trying to say until I went back and read the jacket synopsis, but honestly, I didn't care that much because without fail Christian Robinson's illustrations evoke so much joy for me.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A little girl follows her cat into a mirror where the two of them discover another world. In the other world, there are a cat that looks like the girl's cat as well as a girl who looks like the girl. It's a fun little adventure.
Lindsey
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wordless. Inspired a fun conversation.
Morgan
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Forever a sucker for Christian Robinson's art, but mostly just made me want to play Portal.
Edward Sullivan
A playful, imaginative, completely charming wordless adventure following a little girl and her cat as they venture into another world.
Kelli Gleiner
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful fantasy world he’s created! This wordless book will enthrall children who love to look for details and would be a great lap book for children and adults to intensely study together.
Mr. George
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: src-2019-list
Wordless Story GOLD! Diverse, charming, and whimsical.

Dan
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wordless wonder.
Julie
Beautiful, imaginative, and playful, with the young protagonist following her cat - and another cat, identical except for its collar - through a portal into another world, where laws of physics don't necessarily work out in the same way as "reality". Robinson is one of my favorite illustrators and this colorful, creative wordless picture book about exploring an alternate world doesn't disappoint. As an added bonus, the children featured are diverse, including, among others, a differently-abled b ...more
Shanley
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
i'll always love christian robinson's work
The Reading Countess
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, picture-books
Fanciful.

The artwork is frame-able.

Robinson is a trusted name on the illustrating side of the business. Now with his debut where he serves as both author AND illustrator, he firmly secures his hold as a trusted book Sherpa.

This wordless picture book begs for multiple readings. There are so many nuances to the story missed in one sitting.

I especially enjoyed the depiction of a wide range of children.

Important.
Amy
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Didn’t quite get it but Christian Robinson is still one of my favs!!
Sarah Wyatt
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A wordless picture book about a girl and her cat going through a portal to another world/dimension/dream. There are a lot of opportunities to discuss ideas like how things could be different, how different people have different lives/perspectives. I would recommend for older preschool or school age. Would not recommend for a group storytime.
Rebecca
Christian Robinson's author/illustrator debut! This is a wordless book, so the "writing" is in the story that is told through the pictures. His cut-paper pictures remain some of the kid-friendliest around. I love how this book makes use of (what looks like) hole punches, as the little protagonist's hair beads and as other things in the environment. This through-the-looking glass story would be fun paired with "Sam and Dave Dig a Hole" as far as discussion of what happens.
Tonja Drecker
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
With whimsical and colorful illustrations, this book leads through a flip-flop of perspective.

The best part of this book is the illustrations, but considering there are no words, that isn't surprising. The artwork is simple yet hits every moment spot on and allows young listeners to dive into the world. The moments and things depicted are ones which most young listeners can easily identify with and connect to. It's fun to get lost in the scenes and try to discover what they mean. The little girl
Leslie
In this textless, mixed-media picture book, a portal opens after bedtime. The mirror image of the red-collared black cat snags the red toy mouse before disappearing back through the portal. The cat and the girl (with a planet on her pajamas) follows it.

A topsy-turvy trek takes them to an open space where children play with their counterparts, differentiated only by the color of their clothes or accessories. The children represent different races, cultures, abilities, and personalities/interests.
Sandy
Mar 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a wordless book that I liked yet I felt that it was missing something. The illustrations were wonderfully done with bright, bold colors and simple lines. It was the storylines that went through my head, as I flipped through the pages, that confused me. I went over this children’s book numerous times, looking at it a variety of ways and still, I’m puzzled.

As a girl slept in her bed with her cat (with a red collar) looking out her window, a bright porthole opened up in her room. Soon, anot
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Christian Robinson is a 2016 Caldecott Honoree and also received a Coretta Scott King Illustrator Honor for his art in Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña (Putnam, 2015); de la Peña himself took home the 2016 Newbery Medal, awarded by the Association for Library Service to Children for the "most distinguished book for children". Robinson, based in San Francisco, is also an animator and h ...more