Start by marking “Another” as Want to Read:
Another

Another

In his eagerly anticipated debut as author-illustrator, Caldecott and Coretta Scott King honoree Christian Robinson brings young readers on a playful, imaginative journey into another world.

What if you…
encountered another perspective?
Discovered another world?
Met another you?

What might you do?
Published March 5th 2019 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Another, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Another

DaNae
If Mr. Rogers and Escher conspired to create The Upsidedown.
Jeimy
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wordless, fantastic, with just a hint of Escher.
Baby Bookworm
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is Another by Christian Robinson, a wordless picture book that embraces the strange in the search for adventure.

In the dark of night, a portal opens up into a little girl’s bedroom, and a small black cat – identical to her own but for a different-colored collar – pops in. When the feline swipes a toy, the girl and the cat decide to follow it into the portal, which opens into a crazy negative space with very few rules. Up is down, left is right, and the world is a s
Kelli Gleiner
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful fantasy world he’s created! This wordless book will enthrall children who love to look for details and would be a great lap book for children and adults to intensely study together.
Mr. George
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: src-2019-list
Wordless Story GOLD! Diverse, charming, and whimsical.

Edward Sullivan
A playful, imaginative, completely charming wordless adventure following a little girl and her cat as they venture into another world.
Morgan
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Forever a sucker for Christian Robinson's art, but mostly just made me want to play Portal.
Michele Knott
Brilliant use of perspective and white space in this one! No doubt each reading of this book will spark wonder, curiosity and imagination.
Robin
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Wordless whimsy that didn't grab me. A bit of Eric Carle and MC Escher influence to the illustration.
The Reading Countess
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, picture-books
Fanciful.

The artwork is frame-able.

Robinson is a trusted name on the illustrating side of the business. Now with his debut where he serves as both author AND illustrator, he firmly secures his hold as a trusted book Sherpa.

This wordless picture book begs for multiple readings. There are so many nuances to the story missed in one sitting.

I especially enjoyed the depiction of a wide range of children.

Important.
Shanley
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
i'll always love christian robinson's work
Amy
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Didn’t quite get it but Christian Robinson is still one of my favs!!
Joan Marie
This one's a big question for me. The storyline is confusing. It appears to be saying something about dreamland, but stilll... I was hoping for something more.
Becky
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I guess I just didn't get it? I like the illustration style though.
Tasha
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
In his first solo picture book, award-winning illustrator Robinson creates a wordless experience for young book lovers. A little girl is in bed with her cat sleeping at her feet, when a portal opens in the wall. Through the portal comes a cat who is just the same as her cat except that it wears a blue collar rather than a red one. The portal cat steals the girl’s cat’s red mouse toy and heads back through the portal with it. What ensues is a literal cat and mouse game through a series of portals ...more
Audrey
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
This wordless book transports the reader to a world where their imagination can run wild. The illustrations are beautiful and the journey that the young girl goes on is magical. I think a really fun activity would be to have students write a story to go along with the illustrations. Older students could write it themselves while younger students could be recorded telling the story as they flip through the pages. This could pair nicely with teaching narrative writing techniques so that students h ...more
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This wordless picture book opens with a young girl and her cat, sleeping. Well, the cat is not sleeping. The cat is looking at a light that appears on the wall. It looks like a flashlight light/a white oval, but then another cat comes through it and into the bedroom. Another dimension? What will be there? Of course, one must explore. This book is pure fun and games! I can’t even imagine how much time it took to set those punch-out dots in place for that bright red hill in the middle spread of th ...more
Erin Buhr
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-books
Sly, playful, creative. Carefully crafted, this wordless book makes you wonder and begs you to turn the page as you follow a little girl and her cat. Full of imagination and adventure and just a touch of humor. This is unlike anything you've read before and is so much fun. Written and illustrated by the talented illustrator of award winning GASTON AND ANTOINETTE and LAST STOP ON MARKET STREET - this is a first author-illustrator work by Christian Robinson and hopefully not his last.
Sarah Wyatt
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
A wordless picture book about a girl and her cat going through a portal to another world/dimension/dream. There are a lot of opportunities to discuss ideas like how things could be different, how different people have different lives/perspectives. I would recommend for older preschool or school age. Would not recommend for a group storytime.
Ms. Arca
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yesss. Here for this wordless, artistic, multiple universe celebration of imagination and play. Super cute characters throughout and just generally fun to get lost in.. I love thinking of little humans reading something presented as simply as this and building the skills/ getting primed for some awesome fantasy world thinking and reading :).
Beth
I love that Christian Robinson’s illustrations have a childlike whimsy while also managing to be sophisticated at the same time. Those qualities are especially on display in this wordless picture book where his illustrations do all the heavy lifting and show us just what a brilliant storyteller he truly is.
Barbra
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wordless picture books can always be interpreted in many ways. As we follow a young girl and her cat into another world, readers will question what they are seeing, and open their imagination about what if there was another you. Every child will tell and see a different story. A fun book to explore with young and older readers.
Great Books
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 19-ages-3-5
Follow the wordless journey of a young girl and her cat into another world. The brightly colorful imaginative illustrations are filled with multicultural children playing together that will take one on a wonderful adventure.
Reviewer 5
Kelly
An absolute wow. Reminds me a lot of Sam & Dave Dig a Hole, the way that the animals see things first, with the eyes as the nonverbal communication. But this book is so unique! I love when the girl goes down the red sheet and goes upside down into the next hole. Definite Caldecott contender.
Rita
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hmmm...what would I do if I saw myself in another world and saw another me? mwa ha ha.

I would definitely have a dog.

Christian Robinson, you are a fabulous and talented illustrator and storyteller.
Sam
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Like a wordless Alice in Wonderland. Small child and cat wanders into a non-scary upside down world where there's a mirror twin of her cat (and her!)

Lovely cut paper illustration. Would love to hear a kid tell this wordless story.
Anjanette
cute story
multi cultural
cute story
Erin
This book without words explores what it might be like if children met themselves from a different dimension. It's quite clever.

Good for preschool and older kid storytimes.
One of the best illustrators working today has published his first picture book. It's wordless. He doesn't need to use words. His art speaks for him.
Jessica Furtado
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
An interesting trip down the rabbit hole. Children will surely discover many interpretations and surprises while visiting this wordless book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Christian Robinson is a 2016 Caldecott Honoree and also received a Coretta Scott King Illustrator Honor for his art in Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña (Putnam, 2015); de la Peña himself took home the 2016 Newbery Medal, awarded by the Association for Library Service to Children for the "most distinguished book for children". Robinson, based in San Francisco, is also an animator and h ...more