Start by marking “A Warden's Purpose (Wardens of Issalia #1)” as Want to Read:
A Warden's Purpose (Wardens of Issalia #1)

A Warden's Purpose

(Wardens of Issalia #1)

Two schools: One of magic and science, the other focused on military excellence.
A dangerous undercurrent flows within both…dark and deadly.

Everson is brilliant, ingenious, and yet, he feels broken. Cursed with a disability, he dreams of nothing more than being useful. Quinn is bold, defiant, and will do anything to protect her brother.

When Everson is accepted to an academy
Published May 24th 2018 by Fallbrandt Press

To ask other readers questions about A Warden's Purpose, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Warden's Purpose

Dianne
Years after the fate of humankind was determined in a terrible battle of good versus evil, the effects of that war are still felt. Like the heroes in THE RUNES OF ISSALIA series, once again, the youth of Issalia will drive this fantasy, told through the eyes and hearts of Quinn and her adopted brother, Everson.

Quinn is a warrior at heart, a leader, loyal and determined to find her place in the warrior school. Everson has disabilities that have stunted his ability to socialize, but his intelligen
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it
A good start to a promising series.
RTC
Jessica
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Edit: Did a quick re-read and decided to bump this guy up to a 4, still a bit on the cheesy side but I really enjoyed it, so 4 it is!

This book was a very strong 3.5/5 for me. I'm always a sucker for school oriented stories and this was one of the more unique schools that I've read about. I loved the idea of magic, runes and engineering combining to create a host of cool inventions for me to read about.

The Pros:

This book has a lot of pros, so many that I will definitely be reading the next book
Jennifer (bunnyreads)
I do a fair bit of ya reading but most of it is older than what I feel this is geared towards. Not a big deal though, I read anything but I did have to make some allowances for things I wouldn’t let slide in an older teen novel. This felt more along the age group of Zahn’s Dragon and Thief series but that might change as series progresses.

It was a lot of fun though. It’s quick paced and adventurey feeling with some mildly dangerous situations that the young protags get themselves out of through
Wendy
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, fantasy-adventure
“A Warden’s Purpose” an imaginative and absorbing young adult fantasy begins when a brilliant and handicapped young inventor named Everson is accepted at the Fallbrandt Academy of Magic & Engineering (FAME) while his fiery, overly- protective sister Jacquinn (Quinn) Gulagas, a warrior-at-heart enters the Torreco Academy of Combat Training (TACT).

Excited about combining science and magic after learning about the “Chaos” theory Everson garners a new sense of purpose and self-worth as his frien
T.L. Branson
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A enjoyable read for sure.

A bit slow and confusing at the start due to the way the book is opened, but it all makes sense by the end, so you have to hang around for the big pay off.

I really ended up loving this book and by about the 50-60% mark, I couldn't put it down. Definitely recommend for anyone who loves a good sword and sorcery novel, especially if you're looking for a novel where the hero is great because of who they are and not because of the magic that they possess.
Ale
One of the best initiatives to come out of the r/fantasy subreddit is the TBRindr, which matches indie authors with reviewers and allows them to get as much exposure as possible. I filled in a survey of my preferences and A Warden's Purpose is the first book I was offered. I would say, off the bat, that this hasn't influenced my opinion of the book and that the below is my honest review.

I wish at times like this that Goodreads did half stars, because I think 3 star indicates slightly warmer fee
Stephen
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story ends up being a great read. A little slow in spots but easily to get through. The characters are lovable and strong. A lot of twists and turns that keep you guessing til the end. Great story line. You won't be disappointed, great reading everyone!
Kameron
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
In A Warden’s Purpose, Jeffrey displayed the strength and the creative workings of our youth. Age, size, and/or birth defects don’t limit a person’s ability for greatness.

Jeffrey also made a great point during an engineer class. No matter how smart you are or think you are, there’s always someone smarter than you. You should never stop wanting to learn. Absorb all the bits of knowledge you can. I concur with Jeffrey and Master Pherran Nindlerod, a character in the story, there’s always some new
Natasha Clark-French
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'll preface this review by acknowledging the cover art: while it's not horrible it did nothing to increase my interest in the book - in fact it made me a little nervous to read it since it's clearly not the kind of art that helps a book make the bestseller catagory. The description intrigued me though and I've read other books by Kohanek so I know not to be fooled be misleading cover art. I'm so glad I took the chance because this book is now one of my favorites! I pray to be able to own a phys ...more
KB
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
Two siblings, each with different talents, are accepted into a special academy. Everson is accepted into the academy for magic and engineering and his sister, Quinn, is accepted into a military academy. During their training they are faced with many challenges.

The beginning of A Warden's Purpose involves Everson and Quinn being interrogated by unseen people. They are forced to recall their childhood and events at the academy.

There is a mystery to this book that gnaws at you until you reach the e
Lisa
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Thanks to the author for providing a copy of their book for review, this did not affect my opinion of the book in any way.

This is a really nice story of nice people doing nice things for each other. That was...sort of refreshing.

The two main protagonists, Everson and Quinn, were the highlights of the book for me. Everson is a character that is always struggling to fit in. He was orphaned and adopted into a loving family that made him one of their own, but he has a disability that makes him stand
C.F. Welburn
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t read any YA for years and as such A Warden’s Purpose was a bit of change of pace for me. However, once I got into it I started having pleasant nostalgic feelings, back to my David Edding’s days when the world seemed full of wonder and magic. The story is quick paced using a flashback recounting to bring us up to speed with how it all opens. The magic system is interesting, and I feel there is a lot more to learn in subsequent books as the main characters hone their skills. Perhaps my f ...more
LooseBoots
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I am always apprehensive when I read a new authors book. With this one I need have no qualms.
Brilliant read. Brother and sister join an academy, both schools linked . One for engineering and one warrior. Both have an interesting journey that culminates in an exciting climax that hints at further wondrous adventures.
Full of magic, mayhem but all in all it’s an enthralling read.
Highly recommended.
Jaime
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Warden’s Purpose is an engrossing tale about two siblings that leave behind everything they know to follow their chosen path. I absolutely love everything about this book. The characters are amazing and the story itself is fresh and unique. I can’t wait to read more!
Janeandjerry
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I first want to thank the author for sending me this especially since my last tablet had quit on me and needed something to read. Well I'm glad I was because this was worth reading and can't wait to get started on the next one.
Crystal
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Two different school and two siblings, each will take a different path. Everson is heading to focus on magic and science while his sister Quinn will be focused on military excellence.
There is a lot going on and it play out rather well. I was more drawn into Quinn's story than Everson's just because she was more like me. Both sides were interesting to watch play out. I was wrong about a couple of characters. I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more about Quinn, Everson and thei
Kris Mcpeake
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, the way it started out was not how I expected it to end, good twist. Liked the family connection/devotion. Great imagination
Lyle Kroeker
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the way that the author relayed the story. It was unique and fresh.
Looking forward to book 2
Barbara
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set aside a long weekend for this family-friendly story of two young people, one adopted, as they grow up. I read an ARC (yes, it DID take me a while to get to it) and this voluntary review is my own opinion.
Tera Comer
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This is the first book that I have read by this author and while I enjoyed the book there was some places where the plot was a little confusing to me, such as the interrogation scene. The confusion did end by the end of the book though. This book has plenty of surprises, twist and turns to keep you entertained. I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.
Lejla
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow this is so amazing story.
I read both books at the same time, but this is perfect.
Can't wait third book.
John Piper
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Great series! I really enjoyed this book! I highly recommend checking it out!
Roger
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My third read from author Jeffrey L. Kohanek was amazing, even better than the first two! I'll be reading more from him as soon as I get more!
Megan
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a lot of fun to read. It was perfect for the mood I was in after reading a lot of darker, longer books. This book piqued my interest because of the magic/engineering school and military school setting. The school setting is done very well and there are very distinct differences between the magic school and the military school, as would be expected. I am a bit older than the target audience, and teenage me definitely would have loved this even more.

The main characters are Everson a
Jeffrey Kohanek
May 21, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
As the author, I thought it might be fun to write a review and offer my own insight on the story. Of course, it is free from spoilers, which I detest. Half the fun in reading comes in the moment of discovery.
______________________________
Finding one's purpose in life is difficult at best. Some might say impossible. This character-driven fantasy tale tackles that concept and uses it to introduce readers to the world of Issalia while setting the table for the more plot-heavy books coming later in
Britt
(I really shouldn't be writing this review at one in the morning, but here we are. I apologize in advance for any typos 😂)
I'll admit, the genre isn't really my style - magical fantasy isn't usually my thing, and neither are warriors. But I accepted this story with promise that I would let the author know if it wasn't my type... and the next thing I knew, I was turning the very last page.
The beginning is a little slow-going, and the story flips back and forth between past and present, between two
Rusty
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-read
This was the first book I have read by Jeffrey Kohanek, and I was sent a digital copy of this in return for a fair and honest review. I went into the book with a clean slate and no expectations whatsoever.

Initially I was a bit confused by the interrogation scenes with Everson and Quinn. Fortunately, it made sense by the end of the book (no spoilers!), and it culminated with a nice amount of surprises and twists. More on that later.

What I did like from the beginning was the family dynamics, the r
Shane Jardine
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Warden’s Purpose by Jeffrey L. Kohanek was a fast-paced story story full of fast-paced action and the kind of friendship I think most people could only dream about. I was honestly a bit hesitant to start reading this book when I received it a few weeks ago as I knew it was a new series in an already established universe. Happily I was quick to discover that you don’t need to read anything else by Jeffrey L. Kohanek to enjoy this book completely. I think one of the best things I can say about t ...more
Steve Boivie
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed A Warden's Purpose. The book is definitely YA in tone and content, but I still just thought it was a fun take on a book set in a school environment. I had not read the preceding series and I did not find that an impediment to understanding or enjoying this book. I would give it 4.5 stars if I could.

I thought the main characters were both interesting to follow. I thought it was a nice choice that it was the girl Quinn who was the fierce fighter of the duo, and that the brother Ev
« previous 1 3 next »

• Zephyr the West Wind (Chaos Chronicles #1)
  • Shattered Silence (Ghostly Rhapsody, #2)
  • Schism (The Battle for Darracia, #1)
  • The Descending Darkness
  • Darksoul (Godblind #2)
  • The Luthier's Apprentice (Violinist Detective Series, #1)
  • Lost (The Caelian Cycle #1)
  • Kingshold (The Wildfire Cycle #1)
  • A Weapon of Magical Destruction (Agents of A.S.S.E.T. #1)
  • Those Brave, Foolish Souls from the City of Swords (Yarnsworld #3)
  • Eyes of Lightning (The Thunderbird Legacy, #1)
  • Dee's Hard Limits (Masters of the Cats, #2)
  • Nothing Stays the Same
  • Skull Kids
  • Empire of the Saviours (Chronicles of a Cosmic Warlord, #1)
  • The Emerald Blade (The Landkist Saga, #2)
  • Miraibanashi the Trilogy
  • Long Live the Suicide King
Jeffrey L. Kohanek grew up in rural Minnesota, where comic books sparked his young imagination and inspired fantasies of heroes with super-powers saving the day. His tastes later evolved to fantasy epics, featuring unlikely heroes overcoming impossible odds to save worlds born from the writer’s imagination.

Now residing in southern California, Jeff uses that imagination to weave tales of engaging c

Wardens of Issalia (4 books)
  • The Arcane Ward (Wardens of Issalia #2)
  • An Imperial Gambit (Wardens of Issalia #3)
  • A Kingdom Under Siege (Wardens of Issalia #4)